Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2768237 - 03/29/16 09:50 AM Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB
RedKey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Chicago
I missed this at NAMM. It's on my radar now.
While still fiction, I hope this makes it to production.

KC Island
#2768242 - 03/29/16 09:58 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: RedKey]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
3 stereo inputs
USB input DA (for Mainstage and similar)
External FX loop (with footswitch)
Separate Main and Monitor outputs, with individual ground lift
Shared Sustain pedal for two different keyboards
MIDI I/O
$399 price point
May 2016 ETA (hopeful)

#2768243 - 03/29/16 10:06 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
needs more channels!
www.echoesrocks.com

#2768244 - 03/29/16 10:13 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: DanL]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, for me, three analog + DA would be perfect for my rig. A bigger rig hardware rig than that, I already have several line mixers (Ashly, etc).

YMMV. But schlepping 3 hardware boards is all my back wants to handle.

#2768246 - 03/29/16 10:27 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Lots of neat new stuff from Radial.

There are a couple of devices I could use if I ever crawl off back the the genre where I belong.

The Bumper on page 6 would be handy if I wanted to run my guitar and pedal steel or possible a lap steel into my Blackface Twin.

The Headlight Pro on Page 7 would be handy if I ever electrify my Banjos or Mandolin but I have not found a Banjo pickup system I like as well as a mic.

http://www.radialeng.com/pdfs/intercom-namm-2016-web.pdf

Key Largo would be extremely handy to a lot of keyboard players. I already have all the functionality I need covered in my rack but if you are playing vintage synths or anything requiring switchable external effect chains the switchable loop could be really handy. Especially if it is multiple effects units. One switch to turn on the whole loop instead of doing the pedal dance. Otherwise a pedal looper system system will usually start at about $200 but albeit is a whole lot more flexible.

The common sustain pedal I already have through the Kronos as my controller.

Edited by CEB (03/29/16 10:32 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2768254 - 03/29/16 11:11 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: DanL]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: DanL
needs more channels!

No, you need to bring fewer boards to your gigs.

Signed, the rest of the people sharing the stage with you. wink

(yes, I know, the above is blasphemous... but I stand by it smile )

#2768267 - 03/29/16 11:54 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No, the Key Largo WON'T work for me, either...

#2768284 - 03/29/16 12:36 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
I only bring 3 boards but I use 10 channels. I was proud that I trimmed my rig to use less space than the L shaped 4 board rig.

1/2 -Vent from SK, 3/4- SK extra sounds, 5/6- FA08, 7/8- FA08 sub out for samples, 9/10- Nord A1
www.echoesrocks.com

#2768302 - 03/29/16 01:23 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: DanL]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yup, this device isn't for that config, Dan.

Just out of personal curiosity, what do use for a mixer?

#2768408 - 03/29/16 06:49 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
New&Improv Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Corvallis, OR
That thing looks way cool! Plus, I've used Radial DI's for years, they make really good stuff. My first thought was that it didn't have enough channels, but I think I could actually make it work even for my way-too-complicated 4-keyboard setup. Also, I bet you could use the EFX return as another stereo input. Hmmm.
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

#2768417 - 03/29/16 07:15 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: New&Improv]
Leh173 Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Thanks for posting this Redkey! Looks quite interesting! Could be great for my needs in future.

#2807343 - 10/01/16 08:56 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Leh173]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Geoff caught this one with AES news. First it's made by Radial so I am going to assume at the moment it's built like a tank and quiet as heck, and secondly it's a foot switchable mixer made for keyboardists with 3 stereo inputs, an fx send, and balanced XLR outs.

#2807344 - 10/01/16 09:37 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I missed this the first time. I like this, and great price if built to their usual quality.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2807349 - 10/02/16 03:11 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Yeah, lots of features and a good form factor for those of us who didn't rack a mixer or having racked one have decided they don't want to carry the rack lol. I've been using Radial D/A for a couple of years now and loving the robustness and ease of use.

#2807357 - 10/02/16 06:01 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: JerryA]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Mono fx loop unfortunately. And I don't get the "sustain pedal." Also not sure where or how it would mount in an accessible spot – is there a threaded socket for a mic stand?

#2807367 - 10/02/16 07:31 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Reezekeys]
MP Hall of Fame Member

They haven't posted info on the site yet that I can find, no spec sheet or manual yet. My guess is that 1/4 out and in for FX send is insert Y type (Tip Ring and Sleeve) so stereo. Vintage Audio King has this copy:

"The Radial Key-Largo is a Tonebone first... It is a combination keyboard mixer, DAC, effects loop and remote control in a compact pedal format. The design begins with three stereo input channels for your analog synths. Each channel is equipped with a level control and an effects send. Then, a 4th input for a USB connection to your laptop to play back audio files and mix them with the live keys. A stereo effects loop lets you add a rackmount delay or reverb to your vintage Mini-Moog or share it with the others and remotely turn on the effects loop using the left onboard footswitch. Stereo direct outputs let you feed your stage monitors while balanced isolated outputs feed the PA system. A middle latching footswitch lets you take things one step further with a contact closure that can be used to activate a second effect in the loop. A third momentary footswitch is assigned for sustain, making it easy to connect to your piano patch. Side access MIDI connectors are available to pass-through data and add flexibility."

Not sure if this information is pre-final design. I guess we'll have to wait for specs and manual from Radial for clarification.

The intention seems to be set levels and put it on the floor. Left foot switch engages and disengages the FX send/return and the right one replaces at least one sustain pedal - you run a cable to one of your keyboards that uses simple on/off momentary (it also apparently can reverse polarity for stubborn keyboards). Obviously if your stage piano supports half safety and triple pedal functionality this isn't for that instrument.

#2807376 - 10/02/16 09:41 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Jonathan Hughes Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Amherst, NY, USA
"And I don't get the "sustain pedal." Also not sure where or how it would mount in an accessible spot – is there a threaded socket for a mic stand?"

It's meant to go on the floor.

#2807380 - 10/02/16 10:40 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Jonathan Hughes]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Got it! Sometimes it takes a minute. smile

#2807429 - 10/02/16 08:41 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Geoff caught this one with AES news. First it's made by Radial so I am going to assume at the moment it's built like a tank and quiet as heck, and secondly it's a foot switchable mixer made for keyboardists with 3 stereo inputs, an fx send, and balanced XLR outs.

Look what´s on the back in this AES/SOS vid and you´ll know how it works and what the features are.
The back is visible at 01:23 of the vid.

3 analog stereo ins unbalanced w/ vol and FX send pots

USB stereo in w/ vol pot

balanced TRS stereo monitor outs w/ volume pot and ground lift

balanced isolated XLR stereo main outs w/ vol-pot & ground lift

FX loop (possibly mono-send/stereo return but not sure)
FX loop defeat ft.switch

Right beneath the USB input there are TWO connectors labeled "volume pedal" and I guess it will act as a master volume for the complete rig.
If yes, that´s cool !

THIS is the final version,- so they got rid of the middle "remote" ft-switch and replaced the "remote" connectors by the "volume pedal" ones.

MIDI I/O "passthru" connectors,- dunno if I´d need ´em ever ...

The mysterious "sustain" ft.-sw. is just only a momentary switch w/ 2 identical outputs on the right side, so cables connected can run to any devices offering inputs for momentary switch pedals,- and when the inputs on the receiving device(s) are user programable,- well ... the momentary switch can do whatever you want for the device(s).
Start/Stop sequencers/ step sequencers, trigger ENVs or samples or use it for any MIDI CC (sustain CC#64 included) you like.

Well, I´d wish the Key Largo had balanced inputs too.
For small rigs you plug in your keys, for larger rigs you´d plug in the outputs of your line-mixers in racks.
Would be ice on the cake using it as summing box for more mixers.

The other vid is the prototype demo.

A.C.

#2807433 - 10/02/16 09:51 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
GDP Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: So-Cal
Interesting! I use 3 boards but I split the outputs on the NE4d so I need 4 inputs on the mixer. 1 or 2 can be mono. It would be a definate addition if the Aux can be used for that handy 4th input.

#2807463 - 10/03/16 06:52 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: GDP]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: GDP
Interesting! I use 3 boards but I split the outputs on the NE4d so I need 4 inputs on the mixer. 1 or 2 can be mono. It would be a definate addition if the Aux can be used for that handy 4th input.

In fact it has 5 (!) stereo inputs,- USB is the 4th one and the FX return,- when it is stereo,- is the 5th.
When the FX send/returns are stricktly mono, that´s a mono-line input at least.

I wonder what quality the USB stereo in w/ DA-converter is and how much latency it will introduce.
The printout on the back says it needs drivers.
Which ?
Probably it only works w/ a laptop and USB drivers installed but not w/ every keyboard´s or module´s USB output.

As an example, Access Virus TI2 series synths transfer data, MIDI & audio over USB. Big plus.
So it should work.

But I guess only a few other keyboards/ modules can do that while most others allow usage as an USB audio interface (receive data and convert to audio) only.

I also wonder if it might work w/ devices like Audio2USB cable:

A.C.

#2807472 - 10/03/16 07:24 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Whoa. I don't need a mixer but I would have considered this if it had come out before I picked up my soundcraft (which was a real bargain so no regrets).

So this would allow you to connect a laptop (possibly tablet) to usb and have audio mixed with hardware keyboards? If so that is a big deal, one unit to handle two jobs (audio interface and mixer).

#2816817 - 11/22/16 01:23 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Stokely]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Does anyone know if this ever made it to market? I see it as 'SPECIAL ORDER' from several retailers, but it's not even on the Radial website...

#2816823 - 11/22/16 02:15 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Dr88s]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dr88s
Does anyone know if this ever made it to market? I see it as 'SPECIAL ORDER' from several retailers, but it's not even on the Radial website...

It was pulled back for some redesign/tweaking earlier this year, which delayed the launch date. It's still coming...

#2816828 - 11/22/16 02:40 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Thanks Sven.

#2816846 - 11/22/16 04:11 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Dr88s]
roygBoo! Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
thanks for bringing this up Dr88, and for answering Sven - I've had my eye on this thing for a while, and have also been wondering why none seem to have appeared anywhere.

I hope to goodness the re-design involves making it class compliant, so that the USB would work with iPad/iPhone.

Not doing so would be kind of a bone-head move, in my opinion, given the explosion in the music/iOS sphere.

Anyway, guess I'll keep waiting and hoping.

#2816852 - 11/22/16 04:33 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

It was pulled back for some redesign/tweaking earlier this year, which delayed the launch date. It's still coming...

Oh? any word on if the feature set is final print? Or might we be looking at a slightly different tool when it ships?

#2816853 - 11/22/16 04:35 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

Oh? any word on if the feature set is final print? Or might we be looking at a slightly different tool when it ships?

I haven't fact-checked it, but Al Coda's post (look up 10 posts or so, from early October) seems to have ID'ed most of them. Don't think it was anything too drastic, just some feedback from customers that had them retool some things. twothumbs

#2842284 - 03/16/17 03:30 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Las Vegas
Radial is on top of their game.
They've come a long way since just DI days.
I'll be happy to use any mixer they make.
Using their Space Heater to warm up Zebra2 HZ, Keyscape, PTeq and HX-3.
Big and Warm Tubes really give virtual plugs a nice boost.

#2842289 - 03/16/17 04:21 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: hardware]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Radial tells me (through Facebook messaging) that the intended February ship date for the Key Largo has slipped to end of March.

While nothing is sure until it actually ships, Sweetwater is now accepting pre-orders.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner