Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2857640 - 05/27/17 09:51 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: WWW]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I can also report the KL attracts a lot of attention from stablemates.

At the last couple of gigs I've used it, during setup the drummers and bass players have been admiring it sitting in all it's glory on top my Kronos. "Man what's this?" "Whoa, that looks beautiful!" "How much is this?" "When did this come out?"

And, yes, it works exactly as advertised, sounds full and transparent, gainstaging with the SSv3 is now optimized (vs. plugging my boards directly into it).

Highly recommended.

KC Island
#2857651 - 05/27/17 11:13 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Ugh, the GAS is real. The money in my wallet isn't. cry

#2857652 - 05/27/17 11:17 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: MAJUSCULE]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm afraid I'm not helping anyone's GAS on this piece of kit.

It also attracts buxom blondes and fetching young coeds who want to disrobe, bring me vodka martinis and crepes, peel me grapes and offer to do my taxes for me for free.

"But no, I'm engaged," I courageously object!

And so sadly, they're resigned to fondle and stroke....the knobs on my Key Largo instead.

There is much power in a small, well built keyboard mixer.

#2857658 - 05/27/17 11:27 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Hey, Tim. Can you diagram how you've incorporated into your rig?

You're monitoring stereo at your SS v3. Are you sending stereo to FOH?
Summing to mono?

#2857660 - 05/27/17 11:35 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

KL Monitor Outs L&R to SSv3
KL Main Outs to FOH (stereo)

Haven't sent FOH mono yet.

#2857663 - 05/27/17 11:51 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't always get to pick... so when FOH is giving me one input on their board for two keyboards each with L and R it sucks pretty fast.

I wonder when someone will do a DI with a feature like Nord's internal stereo to mono summing algorithm?

#2861192 - 06/16/17 12:39 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
tonewheeltom Offline

Loc: NJ
I'm replacing my Receptor and a couple analog keyboards with a MacBook/Main Stage setup, and have been struggling with a solution. I was not looking forward to disconnecting my Apogee Quartet and MIDI DIN interface from my iMac in my studio every time I had a rehearsal or gig.

Browsing for a solution I came across the Key Largo and ordered it on the spot. This is for a Genesis tribute I'm in, and I need USB D/A, three instrument level inputs (ARP Pro/DGX, Memotron M2K, 12-string acoustic with preamp) and a single DIN MIDI for my Nord Stage 88 Classic to control Main Stage. Although I won't have a need for the unit's sustain and volume pedal functionality, it appears as if Radial made this with my exact needs in mind. I'll be able to leave my Mackie mixer and quite a few cables at home, too.

Unfortunately, Sweetwater doesn't get more in until a month from now.

#2861197 - 06/16/17 01:00 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: tonewheeltom]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have one small nit to pick with the KL, which has become an inseparable part of my kit.

The damn AC adapter cord is RED.

Because I place the KL on the RH empty panel on my Kronos, the red AC cord is pointing at the audience.

This is a deal breaker for me. It disturbs the aesthetic and Feng Shui so crucial to today's KB rig and throws the stage balance completely off kilter. I'm either going to have to return the KL, wrap the AC in a black shrink wrapped sleeve, or replace the Kronos with a Nord Electro, bright red Sway stand, and gig a red cape, pitchfork and horns.

Dammit, Radial.

#2861200 - 06/16/17 01:33 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
I don't always get to pick... so when FOH is giving me one input on their board for two keyboards each with L and R it sucks pretty fast.

I wonder when someone will do a DI with a feature like Nord's internal stereo to mono summing algorithm?

I dunno, a long time ago? Here's the most recent one I can think of...

Radial ProAV1

#2861202 - 06/16/17 01:55 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hi, Sven. Of course, there are many ways to sum to mono. But when L and R are a stereo piano library where you have the lower frequencies/keys hard L and upper frequencies/keys hard R but lots of frequencies/keys in the middle that's the same in both signals - then when you sum to mono you get some funky phase cancellations (and/or volume increases where in phase) happening. Other than the being a DI how does the Radial AV1 differ from just using L/mono out on a keyboard with a single channel io DI?

If we use just R out on a stereo library we get gradual decrease in volume as you head up the keys and frequency spectrum. From Nord's literature on the algo they use, they've done some trickery where their Stereo files get combined and you somehow don't get phase cancellation in the mids. They haven't published anything on how they do it, and I don't own a Nord to say how effective their algo is. But users say it's an effective way to use all their downloadable stereo libraries in mono.

#2861204 - 06/16/17 02:19 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: timwat
I have one small nit to pick with the KL, which has become an inseparable part of my kit.

Because I place the KL on the RH empty panel on my Kronos, the red AC cord is pointing at the audience.

This is a deal breaker for me. It disturbs the aesthetic and Feng Shui so crucial to today's KB rig and throws the stage balance completely off kilter. I'm either going to have to return the KL, wrap the AC in a black shrink wrapped sleeve, or replace the Kronos with a Nord Electro, bright red Sway stand, and gig a red cape, pitchfork and horns.

Dammit, Radial.
Sorry if you're serious, Tim, but roll

#2861208 - 06/16/17 02:44 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
RedKey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Chicago

Dammit, Radial.

I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but I extend all my wall wart cables with these guys.
I usually heat shrink over the connection while I'm at it, but that's not necessary.

DC extension cables

#2861403 - 06/18/17 03:19 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: RedKey]
George88 Offline
Gold Member

Gig report:

I used the Key-Largo on a gig last night. I simply plugged into the stereo inputs of channels 1 and 2, set all knobs at 12:00, lifted the ground, sound checked and played the gig. No issues from FOH, I made no adjustments and it sounded great. I only monitored from a mono house monitor, and it sounded just fine.

This is a much simpler set up than my Ashley mixer. Great find!

#2861411 - 06/18/17 04:59 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: WWW]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Next on my list. Gonna digest the QSC K8.2s I've just ordered, and the Key Largo is next on my GAS list.

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Electro 4D, DeepMind-12
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2861437 - 06/18/17 09:13 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: cphollis]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Just did a 3 gig stand with my new Key Largo. 2 nights with a TT08a pair and the other with in ears. Man, I have never had it so good.

I do have one fervent wish - I could really use an aux input that sends only to the monitor output, so I could get a monitor mix in.

I found I had to work on my gain staging a bit to be happy. I found the monitor outputs were not very hot with my RCFs, so I needed to run my Nord pretty high to compensate. The main outputs seem hotter.

I still have a small gain problem when I solo piano. Long story short, I fix my normal playing volume on AP, with no pedal. Then all other sounds are balanced to it. With the mixer on the pedalboard and no pedal, the only way to get extra level for a solo is to grab the volume knob on the Nord. However I usually have the organ pulled forward over it.

Being the lazy person that I am, I'm going to play with using my Tall & Fat pedal as a clean boost in the fx loop. So the fx button on the KL will become a solo switch if it works.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2861438 - 06/18/17 10:27 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Funny enough, my mixer died a month or two ago and I have been using a borrowed one. I use the JDI Duplex already. I think I see this in my very near future, particularly if I can truly use the sale of the DI to fund it.

#2861440 - 06/19/17 12:06 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: MathOfInsects]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
1. So no aux input that only goes to monitors.
2. No way to send a mono signal to FOH on one cable (except using the effects send, thus requiring an additional direct box)
3. No headphone out on the mixer itself.

Because my Allen & Heath QUsd allows me to easily do all three, I'll stay with that for the near future. It is 4 rack spaces, but quite light for its power.

Still, in situations where I can get by without any of these three features, the KL is very tempting.

Edited by Barryjam (06/19/17 12:27 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2861476 - 06/19/17 08:43 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Barryjam]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The big draw for me was:

- completely eliminate a rack
- eliminate my external JDI duplex box
- external pedals premounted and prewired.
- separate monitor send (my micro Yamaha didn't have)
- Radial sound quality

#2861481 - 06/19/17 09:13 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

Being the lazy person that I am, I'm going to play with using my Tall & Fat pedal as a clean boost in the fx loop. So the fx button on the KL will become a solo switch if it works.

My stepfather used to say, "The lazy man will always find the best and most efficient solution." This is a great idea. Can you report back on it?

#2861642 - 06/19/17 07:58 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: MathOfInsects]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Well that experiment was a bust. I suspected it might be when I talked to the pedal maker and he told me that the phase is inverted on the output.

That doesn't matter when the pedal is inline, but gives weird results in a fx loop.

But the concept is sound. I may try again with a different pedal.

#2861654 - 06/19/17 09:59 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
_Maximus_ Offline

Loc: Guatemala

And, yes, it works exactly as advertised, sounds full and transparent, gainstaging with the SSv3 is now optimized (vs. plugging my boards directly into it).

Highly recommended.
Hey tim a quick question, i noticed that the keylargo doesn't have any kind of metering or clip indicator, i was wondering how did you balanced out keyboard outputs levels, i imagine you just guess by ear, is it something you would like or need in a revision 2 keylargo, and how's the headroom on it? does it saturate easily or do you really have to drive it?

#2861657 - 06/19/17 11:26 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: _Maximus_]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I think the headroom is pretty exceptional. It uses a 15V supply and I think I read somewhere that they juice that up to around 30V internally.

In other news, I find that patching the fx send directly to the fx return gives a modest but audible volume boost when you dime the send and return levels and hit the fx button. Might be all I need for a solo switch.

#2862180 - 06/22/17 06:26 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

I have not seen this anywhere: Will it do midi and audio via USB simultaneously? i.e......Controller to DIN input - only one USB chord from Largo to/from laptop (or in my case Mac mini) for midi and audio.

#2862206 - 06/22/17 08:18 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Beethree]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Beethree
I have not seen this anywhere: Will it do midi and audio via USB simultaneously? i.e......Controller to DIN input - only one USB chord from Largo to/from laptop (or in my case Mac mini) for midi and audio.

I haven't tried it but yes, that is how it is designed. As long as you are using OSX and not iOS.

#2866655 - 07/13/17 12:26 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
tonewheeltom Offline

Loc: NJ
I just checked in with my order at Sweetwater, placed a month ago, when they said the Key Largo would be available mid-July. They told me the new date they have is August 9th. I was really hoping to have it now to start using it. Has anyone seen it in stock elsewhere?

#2866665 - 07/13/17 01:24 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: tonewheeltom]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
there are currently 2 listings on Reverb that claim to have them in stock

#2866723 - 07/13/17 08:27 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Beethree]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Originally Posted By: Beethree

Yes, I've used it this way

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2866761 - 07/14/17 05:45 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Quinn]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Las Vegas
I think I'm going to get this.
I love their Space Heater Tube Summing Mixer.
100% high quality parts sound and design.
If these sell well I expect to see a Largo with a Tube stage.
If not run this into the Tube Mixer to warm up those ones and zeros.

They really make great gear.

#2867799 - 07/19/17 07:33 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England

It sounds - like you would expect a high quality mixer. Transparent, lots of headroom, lots of gain, quiet and no noise.

Tim, (or anyone) are we talking about gain through the line level (main) outs or the monitor outs or both?

If you needed to drive some powered speakers pretty hot (for those in-between gigs (where there is no FOH but you are playing at higher than jazz/monitor levels) would it matter which outputs you used?

Thanks in advance. thu

#2867924 - 07/19/17 04:34 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: JerryA]
Darcity Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
I wonder how it would fair against my Allen & Heath Zedi-10FX?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner