Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2854602 - 05/10/17 11:54 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Wasn't thinking that at all Sven, but now that you mention it. drool

No, I had no plans on buying another mixer. I'm urious myself also.
Mine comes tomorrow, unless it's a day early! Sweetwater shipped it USPS.

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
snax

Sorry, that came across a little fanboy-ish, huh? wink

Edited by Legatoboy (05/10/17 01:02 PM)

KC Island
#2854765 - 05/11/17 08:33 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Legatoboy]
TomKittel Offline

I hope that contrary to expectations the Key Largo will support iOS. Would be a dealbreaker for me if not.

#2854771 - 05/11/17 08:47 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: TomKittel]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
The manual is not yet on Radial's web page, that should provide a definitive answer when posted.

#2854774 - 05/11/17 08:59 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
The manual is not yet on Radial's web page, that should provide a definitive answer when posted.

I read it last night

Key Largo User Guide

#2854786 - 05/11/17 09:41 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: EscapeRocks]
roygBoo! Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
I'm with Tom K, i gotta have the iPad connectivity.

Just read the link on the manual David posted above - still a glimmer of hope - it says (paraphrasing) should just be plug-and-play for Mac, but PC will need a driver.

This could suggest the KeyLargo is class compliant, and thus MAY work with some iOS devices. Alternatively, they may have simply done some tweaks that work with the Mac OS, but couldn't get to work with PC's without drivers.

One would think if it was working with iPhones/iPads, they would be advertising the heck out of that point.

Anyway, any of you early adopters, if you get a chance, and have an iPhone/iPad, and a camera connection kit, could you please see if the KeyLargo will work with iOS devices?

#2854814 - 05/11/17 11:19 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
What, are my posts chopped liver???

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Originally Posted By: roygbiv
Anyone know if the USB works with an iPad? I can't seem to find any info on that.
I'm going to say no. Looking through the PDF Manual, it only mentions things like "computer or laptop," or "Mac or PC." It never says iPad, iPhone, or iOS device. That's really too bad. They'd have a killer device on their hands if it did (I think it's still pretty good and am considering adding one to my rig).

I wonder if it's something like they would have had to deal with the proprietary interface on iOS and didn't want to deal with that issue and cost. Still, I wonder if it could drive an iOS device over USB and then you could connect the audio outs to one of the analog channels. Not as ideal, but workable.

I was wondering about mono as I wrote this.

"For mono keyboards, simply connect to the left input only – the Key-Largo will automatically route the signal to both the left and right outputs." That's pretty cool. thu

#2854824 - 05/11/17 12:08 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Canoehead Offline

Loc: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
I'm going to pick up my Key Largo on Saturday. I will see what, if any, IPad connectivity there is, and let you know.

Cheers,
Gord

#2854825 - 05/11/17 12:08 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
roygBoo! Offline

Sorry Joe, now that you mention it, I do remember you noting that earlier, guess I was in a hurry.

I resigned to the likelihood that your analysis is correct, but am hoping that your proposal that at least it can drive iOS-based instruments will turn out to be true.

Manual is not clear either way. Just holding out hope that the reason it is "plug and play" with the Mac is because they made the KeyLargo class compliant.

As an example - I have an old Lexicon Omega interface that was designed way before iPads were a big thing, but because they made the Omega class compliant, it actually can work as an interface for my iPad.

roy

#2854826 - 05/11/17 12:09 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: roygBoo!]
roygBoo! Offline

Thanks Gord, many of us are dying to know (ok, not dying but maybe whimpering)

#2854827 - 05/11/17 12:12 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks

I read it last night
Key Largo User Guide

What, are my posts chopped liver???

Sorry fella's. Obviously a search fail on my part.
Need more coffee, having some now. coffee

#2854893 - 05/11/17 06:14 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

No worries, guys. I'm just poke you. wink

#2854918 - 05/12/17 03:23 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: roygBoo!]
jimkost2002 Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
roygbiv,

there is a usb stick in the box for windows drivers, so it's probably not class compliant.

best,
jimkost2002

#2854925 - 05/12/17 04:43 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: jimkost2002]
SteveQB Offline

Loc: Devon, UK
Are the main XLR outputs at line level or mic level? i.e. does this also serve as a DI box as well as mixer? I wonder how it sounds against say the JDI duplex

#2854941 - 05/12/17 06:03 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: jimkost2002]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: jimkost2002
roygbiv,

there is a usb stick in the box for windows drivers, so it's probably not class compliant.

best,
jimkost2002

manual, page 5 ... 18.)

USB Type-2:

High quality USB I/O for Mac or PC.
Drivers required for PC.

To me that means drivers are required for PC ONLY which is confirmed below:

Page 8 - Going Digital:

USB 2.0 ... ‘TYPE A to TYPE B’ cable ... If using with a Mac, the Key-Largo is plug-and-play, with no drivers required.

Originally Posted By: SteveQB
Are the main XLR outputs at line level or mic level? i.e. does this also serve as a DI box as well as mixer? I wonder how it sounds against say the JDI duplex

Main and Monitor levels:

The output impedance for the transformer balanced/isolated XLR (Main) outputs is 300 Ohms,- the one for TRS (Monitor) is 450 Ohms AND the clip level for both outputs is +24dBu.

When comparing to the specs of p.ex. my Ashly MX508,- it´s transformer balanced XLR outputs are designed to drive 600 Ohm loads, it´s max. level (clipping) being +24dBu and it´s "nominal" level being specified to +4dBu.

So, I expect that being line levels on the KeyLargo as well and when that´s too hot for a PA console´s (mic) input, they´d have to use the PAD switch on the console.

A.C.

#2855123 - 05/13/17 09:11 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Radial Engineering Releases the Key-Largo Mixer and Digital Interface

Vancouver, BC -- Radial Engineering Ltd. is pleased to announce the Key-Largo, a mixer and digital interface designed specifically for keyboard players, is now shipping.

Sound engineers and keyboardists alike will often face the same dilemma--- how to connect multiple keyboards to a PA without using several DI boxes? Players want to balance the levels between the instruments themselves and sound engineers need to be aware of the channel count. This often results in players using small, poor quality mixers that leave a lot to be desired. This is where the Key-Largo shines --- a compact, purpose-built keyboard mixer with the right connections, low noise floor and incredible sound quality!

The Key-Largo features ¼" analog inputs for connecting up to three stereo or mono keyboards, as well as a USB interface for use with soft-synths or computer based audio. All inputs are equipped with an individual level control, and separate send controls access a shared effects loop. This stereo loop is activated using a dedicated footswitch that can be set to mono operation for use with standard guitar-style pedals. The effects return is equipped with its own level control, allowing the player to easily blend the signal with the direct sound. A built-in momentary sustain footswitch is also provided so the Key-Largo can act as a standalone sustain pedal. Finally, a dedicated connection allows the player to use their own volume pedal for control over the stereo bus.

The Key-Largo output section includes stereo ¼" TRS outputs to feed a personal monitor system and transformer isolated XLR mains. The USB interface is equipped with high quality
24 bit/192kHz converters and can be used for both playback and as a recording interface to capture the keyboard mix live or in the studio. It even has MIDI connectivity, allowing the player to use their standard keyboards as software controllers.

Like all Radial products, the Key-Largo is made in Canada from 14-gauge steel and is supported with a 3 year transferable warranty.

Street price - $379.99 USD

http://www.radialeng.com/keylargo.php

#2855128 - 05/13/17 09:44 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Can anybody comment on the sound of the Key-Largo as opposed to the JDI Radial?

Would love to replace my Yamaha MX -> JDI Duplex with something more compact and maybe better sounding.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2855200 - 05/14/17 01:53 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Would love to hear some reviews as well. Saw on FB that Tim also has one, so Tim how does sound and work for you?

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2855211 - 05/14/17 05:17 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Can anybody comment on the sound of the Key-Largo as opposed to the JDI Radial?

Would love to replace my Yamaha MX -> JDI Duplex with something more compact and maybe better sounding.
FWIW and I bet you've noticed this, they don't mention it having Jensen transformers at all in any of the Key Largo literature. That doesn't mean it sounds bad, but if you can tell that difference in having the Jensen transformer fairy dust or not, it might not cut it for you.

It will be interesting to read what people hear.

#2855213 - 05/14/17 05:43 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: RudyS]
Canoehead Offline

Loc: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
First impressions. It certainly appears to be well built: it is quite heavy, the knobs and switches don't wiggle and connections are snug. I was happily surprised to discover that one of the monitor out jacks easily drove both sides of my headphones, albeit in mono.

1/4" and XLR outs are extremely quiet and I couldn't discern any difference between the Key Largo and a JDI when either output was routed to a K10.

I plugged in an Ipad 2 using the camera connection kit and, not surprisingly, the Key Largo did not send or receive Midi or audio.

I'll post some more feedback once I've had a chance to really dig in.

Cheers
Gord

#2855216 - 05/14/17 06:08 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Canoehead]
TomKittel Offline

Originally Posted By: Canoehead

I plugged in an Ipad 2 using the camera connection kit and, not surprisingly, the Key Largo did not send or receive Midi or audio.

I don't quite comprehend why a product like this lacks iOS support. Big mistake in my view.

#2855221 - 05/14/17 06:38 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Al Coda

So, I expect that being line levels on the KeyLargo as well and when that´s too hot for a PA console´s (mic) input, they´d have to use the PAD switch on the console.

A.C.

or plugging key-largo into JDL Duplex DI and regaining or doubling the fairy dust. wink

Seriously, line level wouldn't surprise me on a mixer output.

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2855225 - 05/14/17 06:57 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
FWIW and I bet you've noticed this, they don't mention it having Jensen transformers at all in any of the Key Largo literature. That doesn't mean it sounds bad, but if you can tell that difference in having the Jensen transformer fairy dust or not, it might not cut it for you.

It will be interesting to read what people hear.

When I bought my JDL Duplex DI last month, I emailed the sales rep and asked him to make sure I was getting Jensen transformers. The sales rep told me the manufacturer told him that "we only use Jensen transformers." That is either untrue or they have stopped using Eclipse transformers, at least in the DIs.

Of course, this says nothing about what transformers may be in Key Largo. But I wonder if Radial got a lot of flak about Eclipse and may have chosen to not mention any brand in the Key-Largo literature, keeping options open regarding transformer inventory, even if there are actually Jensen transformers in it. Or not!

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2855234 - 05/14/17 08:35 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Barryjam]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
When they announced the Key Largo, I was pretty excited about it.

Before getting carried away by GAS, I am examining what I already have and if I actually need this.

On my pedalboard, I have a small Rolls line mixer with its outs going to both sides of a Radial Pro D2. Both are pretty small units, and side-by-side, they only occupy a slightly larger footprint then the key Largo, and I'd guess both together may weigh about as much as the Key Largo. I don't use any outboard effects, nor would I plan to share one sustain pedal across multiple keyboards.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need this. Are there any potential advantages I am missing?

#2855237 - 05/14/17 09:29 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Dr88s]
WWW Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NYC
The advantage to the Key Largo over a separate mixer and stereo DI is the quality of the preamp's, which I assume are better than many, but most importantly, the USB input. This allows you to run VSTs without any additional gear. I also like the effects send/return.

#2855246 - 05/14/17 10:57 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: RudyS]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: RudyS
Would love to hear some reviews as well. Saw on FB that Tim also has one, so Tim how does sound and work for you?

It sounds - like you would expect a high quality mixer. Transparent, lots of headroom, lots of gain, quiet and no noise.

Now, out of the box used it on Friday and Saturday PM gigs, and the rig was pretty simple.

1) Kronos & Wave into Key Largo into SS
2) Kronos & Wave into Key Largo into SS and DXR8 and FOH

Like DI boxes, you never notice if a mixer is sucking your timbre until you A/B it against a bunch of other mixers (This is how I ended up with my very strong opinions about DIs and became a Radial fanboi).

I was using a good line mixer before (Ashly 308) so it's not like the Radial was replacing a POS. And I haven't yet gone and introduced MainStage into the rig (which I might soon).

What I like:

It is a beast. Very heavy and very sturdy. I put it on the right hand black panel of the Kronos and it's not going to budge, and all the cabling isn't going to drag it.

This simplifies my schlep as I no longer need to pack the rack, or my DI.

I don't think you're going to hear ANY discernible difference between the Key Largo and either the Radial JDI or Pro DI. I personally don't hear differences between Radial DIs, but there are stark differences between Radial and other cheaper brands. Basically I think the Key Largo (like my JDI Duplex) transparently passes through everything it's supposed to with minimal coloration or degradation.

it's also shortened my cabling, which is also nice.

Anyway, not enough sleep after two crazy gigs.

Friday in the middle of the set I feel something hit me in the forehead. It's a dollar bill. WTF? The packed crowd in Fairfax digs us so much they are throwing money at us like we're strippers. And there's a tip bucket on the table in front of the stage. At the end of the night there's over $400 in tips - mostly $1 bills and a few $5 and $20s - that they threw on the stage. Make it rain indeed. And I didn't even have to strip off my speedo or work the pole. While this may happen to some of you regularly, I've never had this happen before.

Saturday wedding gig at toney St. Helena resort (wine country). Packed dance floor entire night. Very very loud evening. Glad I packed both the SS and the DXR8 because I drove them hard and could still barely hear myself. Interestingly, this must have been the blondest dance floor I've ever played. Pleasant times but I'm exhausted, taking the moms out for moms day later today.

I'll have more comments on the Key Largo as I get a chance to use it in different rig configs and gig situations. For now - I can say it's definitely a quality piece of kit and I'll be keeping it.

Tim

#2855250 - 05/14/17 11:22 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

great review, Tim. Thanks. thu

#2855252 - 05/14/17 11:23 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I've ordered one from Sweetwater. This will allow me to leave my Duplex at home and should be a bump up in quality from the inexpensive Yamaha mixer I use in front of it right now, plus I'll gain a separate monitor volume control.

They are out of stock right now so I've missed the first shipment apparently.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2855283 - 05/14/17 07:01 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Nice review Tim! Thanks. I'll be ordering one soon.

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2855318 - 05/15/17 03:36 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Quinn]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
The external Volume Pedal function works like a charm. The KL is built like a tank and sounds great. Taking it to my gig Friday night!

Edited by Legatoboy (05/15/17 05:30 AM)

#2857634 - 05/27/17 08:41 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Legatoboy]
WWW Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NYC
Got it. Excellent. Effects loop is great. Preamps are clean and high quality.
Digital I/O is smooth and seamless with no audible latency. The DI is identical to my Radial duplex.
The only thing I do not use use the midi and the volume pedal insert.
Built like a tank. It sits on the upper right of my NS2 HA88.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner