Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

Caev...Winston might have an idea or two about your switching problem.

I'm sure he does. I'll get it worked out, eventually. :2thu: Temporarily it might be as simple as placing the B9 and RT-20 next to each other, with some longer cables going to and from the RT-20.

and yes, I'll probably buy one.

Get in line, buddy. I had my wallet out as soon as he pulled up the flute preset. There is not a single person here of my age group who didn't know what was coming with that flute patch.

I know, right?! :crazy::D:2thu:

I absolutely love those strange, dreamy, at times watery Melotron sounds that permeate many of my favorite classic recordings. To have something for my guitar that is even approaching them just enough to be recognizable as such is a beautiful opportunity to be savored.

I love my Strymon El Capistan tape-flavored echo pedal for similar reasons.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I absolutely love those strange, dreamy, at times watery Melotron sounds that permeate many of my favorite classic recordings. To have something for my guitar that is even approaching them just enough to be recognizable as such is a beautiful opportunity to be savored.

I'm not a fan of lo-fi at all, but I always loved the Mellotron, primarily because it DIDN'T sound like actual instruments. It was a cool, synthy texture which was WAY more organic than the waveforms coming out of analog synths. I'm just glad I never had to tour with or maintain one of them.

Scott Fraser

I'm not a fan of lo-fi at all, but I always loved the Mellotron, primarily because it DIDN'T sound like actual instruments. It was a cool, synthy texture which was WAY more organic than the waveforms coming out of analog synths. I'm just glad I never had to tour with or maintain one of them.

Exactly on all counts. (Not that I've ever toured in any interpretation of the term.)

Caev...Winston might have an idea or two about your switching problem.

I'm sure he does. I'll get it worked out, eventually. :2thu: Temporarily it might be as simple as placing the B9 and RT-20 next to each other, with some longer cables going to and from the RT-20.

Caevan, send me a PM, we'll figure something out. My first thought would be something like the Boss LS-2 Line Selector. It's more than an A/B switch, it's also a signal loop switcher, with independent Level controls. I'd say put the B9 in its own loop, with a slightly lower level, so you can kick it on when you want, without changing levels on your amp to compensate.

Boss LS-2 Line Selector.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I don't know if this is new but I found this on Amazon. It is less than $70. 9 preset storage slots.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That $70 Delay seems to good to be true? Looking through the reviews on Amazon, there were quite a few reviewers who said their unit died in a very short time. Reviews of customer service went both ways, glowing and abysmal. I'd save my $70 towards a known brand.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I don't know if this is new but I found this on Amazon. It is less than $70. 9 preset storage slots.

Holy cow that's dirt cheap! Seems pretty cool, too.

I see they also have the very basic but seemingly quite alright (super long pedal-name warning :crazy::D ) Donner Yellow Fall Vintage Pure Analog Delay, which is SUPER dirt cheap at $35.00 + Free Shipping... !?

That $70 Delay seems to good to be true? Looking through the reviews on Amazon, there were quite a few reviewers who said their unit died in a very short time. Reviews of customer service went both ways, glowing and abysmal. I'd save my $70 towards a known brand.

Good point...

Here is one that is on my short list. I don't like the PCB switches on the Flashback and a lot of their smaller pedals. The case on this guy looks totally different.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ND1

Basically I have a general delay I like for adding a little delay over top of verb(RV-5) to get that big panoramic Pedal Steel sound. It is an old cheapo but I like the Ibenez DE-7.

What I am after is very clean single repeats for dotted quarter and dotted eighth tricks. Maybe a DD-7 is all I need. I looked at the DD-500 which is more than I wanted to spend. I can't find a DD-20.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My worry would be less about the electronics, and more about the overall quality of construction. How long will the buttons & knobs work properly? How durable is the enclosure?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

When I play the organ, I play the organ...when I play the guitar, I play the guitar...

Showoff! :laugh:

LOL! That line comes from the John Wayne Irish movie The Quiet Man...the little match maker was offered ice for his whiskey and said "Madam, when I drink water, I drink water, when I drink whiskey, I drink Whiskey"...I always think of that line when looking at all the gadgets that make a guitar sound like something else. The banjo is bad enough...now when they get to the bagpipes, I'll be a throwin in the towel...LOL! :sick::D

But seriously folks, that Mel9 pedal does sound pretty damn cool. Maybe not as good as a real synth but pretty darn close for such a small package. Let me guess on the flute part Scott, intro to Can't You See by Marshall Tucker? :cool:

Take care, Larryz

But seriously folks, that Mel9 pedal does sound pretty damn cool. Maybe not as good as a real synth but pretty darn close for such a small package. Let me guess on the flute part Scott, intro to Can't You See by Marshall Tucker? :cool:

I'm not Scott Fraser, but I did watch a Kronos Quartet video last night... ;) I'm gonna put my money down on, "In the Court of the Crimson King"... (Although "Strawberry Fields" is also in the running... )

I'm not Scott Fraser, but I did watch a Kronos Quartet video last night... ;) I'm gonna put my money down on, "In the Court of the Crimson King"... (Although "Strawberry Fields" is also in the running... )

Strawberry Fields is it. Court of the Crimson King is the very first thing you hear in the video, using the Orchestra setting, but when he demonstrates the Orchestra, he plays the opening from Genesis' Watcher of the Skies.

A quick thought from your friendly neighborhood Devil's advocate, regarding the Mel9, B9, etc.: If someone were to collect 'em all, they'd spend right around $1000, for a nice bank of keyboard sounds. If I were just starting out right now, to assemble a Guitar Synth rig, I probably would grab the SY-300 and the Mel9, for just about the same total, and be done with it.

A quick thought from your friendly neighborhood Devil's advocate, regarding the Mel9, B9, etc.: If someone were to collect 'em all, they'd spend right around $1000, for a nice bank of keyboard sounds. If I were just starting out right now, to assemble a Guitar Synth rig, I probably would grab the SY-300 and the Mel9, for just about the same total, and be done with it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

____ [video:youtube]

Strawberry Fields is it. Court of the Crimson King is the very first thing you hear in the video, using the Orchestra setting, but when he demonstrates the Orchestra, he plays the opening from Genesis' Watcher of the Skies.

You guys are right I was dreaming of myself instead of as Scott's dream pick. I was thinking as a Marshall Tucker fan and should have said Heard It In A Love Song. They used the flute extensively. That's why I would use it for doing copies of their songs if I was still in a country rock band... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I always think of that line when looking at all the gadgets that make a guitar sound like something else. The banjo is bad enough...now when they get to the bagpipes, I'll be a throwin in the towel

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am3lI62E3yw

pm me and I'll send u my address so u can ship ur gear here. :P

Well, I'm halfway to having the set, and I'm probably going to complete it. (I MAY have "Sucker!" tattooed on my forehead...)

But I'm not trying to build a full on synth rig. Instead, I'm trying to sprinkle some of those sounds into my...well, not so much a set pedalboard so much as a fluctuating pedalclump...in a compact housing.

On top of that is my personal prejudice against "all in one" technologies in general, since their convenience comes at a cost. Yes, you only have to deal with 1 power supply and 1 set of cables, but you risk losing everything if the thing fails.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

You guys are right I was dreaming of myself instead of as Scott's dream pick. I was thinking as a Marshall Tucker fan and should have said Heard It In A Love Song. They used the flute extensively. That's why I would use it for doing copies of their songs if I was still in a country rock band... :cool:

Perhaps I'm mistaken in my perception of Strawberry Fields as the singularly most iconic use of Mellotron flutes ever.

Scott Fraser

Perhaps I'm mistaken in my perception of Strawberry Fields as the singularly most iconic use of Mellotron flutes ever.

Naaa, you're probably not. I just 'misremembered' what was played in that promotional video, and cross-pollinated that with my perception of your more eclectic tastes...

Can't think of another song that leads in with that sound . . .

. . . But I'm not trying to build a full on synth rig. Instead, I'm trying to sprinkle some of those sounds into my...well, not so much a set pedalboard so much as a fluctuating pedalclump...in a compact housing.

On top of that is my personal prejudice against "all in one" technologies in general, since their convenience comes at a cost. Yes, you only have to deal with 1 power supply and 1 set of cables, but you risk losing everything if the thing fails.

Understood, part of why I seek out gently used gear, at stupid prices. Also part of why I have more than one Guitar Synth, or MFX unit, so I don't keep all my eggs in one basket.

One other thought about all those E-H boxes. I'd want to sit down in the music store, and really go through all the sounds, exhaustively. I think you'd find enough of them are, well, redundant, such that you probably don't need all four. For me, the appeal of the Mel9, above the others, is the idea of having those sounds available for any and all of my Guitars. Getting that Orchestra sound with one of my SG's . . . Oh, yes! Getting my 7-string LP to sound like a Suitcase EP just does't have the same appeal, somehow.

@ Hugo, Cool song! I'm not selling out just yet. I do love the pipes, I just don't want my guitar to sound like one LOL!

@ Scott, I'm sure you are correct...and I love the song too!

<---at the end of the clip, Paul plays the flute on the mellotron...

@ Winston, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1CUY2ELtE <---this is what I was thinking of for a variety of flute songs and I think it would be easier to pack around a keyboard than a mellotron LOL! I really like the breath tube in the 2nd demo and the 3rd demo is using the software with a band :cool:

@ all,

here's my favorite flute intro (it's cheating a bit because it's real) but it's the sound I would be shooting for... :bang:
Take care, Larryz

One other thought about all those E-H boxes. I'd want to sit down in the music store, and really go through all the sounds, exhaustively. I think you'd find enough of them are, well, redundant, such that you probably don't need all four. For me, the appeal of the Mel9, above the others, is the idea of having those sounds available for any and all of my Guitars. Getting that Orchestra sound with one of my SG's . . . Oh, yes! Getting my 7-string LP to sound like a Suitcase EP just does't have the same appeal, somehow.

I think there may be some overlap, but not a heck of a lot. I've personally found something unique on each I thought worth my money, making each sat least a 2-trick pony for me. Beyond that?

Well...I AM a collector. ;)

I think there may be some overlap, but not a heck of a lot. I've personally found something unique on each I thought worth my money, making each sat least a 2-trick pony for me. Beyond that?

Well...I AM a collector. ;)

Understood. If a piece of gear does at least one thing that none of my others will, or does it with a more compact footprint, I'm in.

Having a legion of Piano & Organ sounds in my Synths, I'm less interested in the first three E-H pedals. For some reason, though, the folks who do Sound Design for most of the major Synth manufacturers have neglected the unique, throaty growl & grind of the Mellotron. Like Scott, I also have a deep sentimental attachment to those sounds. Before the Synth took over, the Mellotron ruled. The Beatles, The Moody Blues, YES, Genesis, King Crimson, all of them used the Mellotron extensively. While I can program any sound I want into my Synths, the Mel9 is the first pedal in this series that made me think, "I'd definitely use that."

Sideways thought: For anyone trying to figure out how to integrate boxes like this, with radically different EQ & gain structures from your usual pedal array, an A/B box & a small, cheap mixer with an FX Send/RTN could be the answer to a lot of your problems.

Say you have a pedalboard, a Mel9, and an RT-20. Put your A/B box 1st in line, then your pedalboard on A and your Mel9 on B. Send them to different channels on the mixer, for now. Next, plug the RT-20 into the S/R Loop, and finally, send the mixer's Mono Out to your amp. Adjust your levels & EQ in the mixer, so when you switch from Guitar + pedalboard to Mel9, you have the balance you want. You could also just place the RT-20 between the mixer Out and the Amp In, if your mixer doesn't have an S/R loop. With any luck, you won't have noise bleeding through from your pedalboard, into the mix. Sorry I can't work up an illustration, but maybe this will help . . .

Guitar Out -> A/B In

A Out -> Pedalboard

B Out -> Mel9

Pedalboard Out -> Mixer Channel 1

Mel9 Out -> Mixer Channel 2

Mixer Send-> RT-20 In

RT-20 Out -> Mixer RTN

Mixer Out -> Amp In

IME, most 2 & 4 Channel mixer will not have any kind of S/R, in which case, skip past Mixer Send, and go right to -

Mixer Out -> RT-20 In

RT-20 Out -> Amp In

That's my best suggestion, for now. Scott may have some more informed thoughts about possible issues running a small mixer into a guitar amp, but I've seen it done.

Thanks for that.

Caev was having a setup issue involving connecting one in his effects loop and a another pedal before his amp. He wanted to use- and thus, engage/disengage both simultaneously. I had an idea, but was ultimately stumped because of where the pedals were connected to the amp.

Got any clue?