Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Thanks for all the input!

Actually, I set the SS3 up on top of my Barbetta Sona 31C tonight and pushed the low end of the Barbetta. (I forgot what a loud little amp it is...) First I fed it from the sub out, and then tried a separate summed output of my mixer. That actually worked great - and sounded fantastic. It also allowed me to balance them on the fly and bring in more lows on piano patches.

I plan to take both to a gig next week in a bar without a house system, and leave the Sona dialed down but available. While I work on tweaking the SS3 and getting a better feel for it, between the two I think I should be covered for anything.

Will report afterwards...

I've been gigging nonstop with rocking' blues bands and while I used a bass amp at first I realized it really wasn't necessary.

+1

Same here. I sold my Behringer B1200D after I quickly found out that I really didn't need it. The SSV3 delivers more than enough bass for my needs. Sometimes I even need to turn down the bass EQ on my Roland RD64 piano to keep myself off the pitch of the bass player.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

The DAS x-over has stereo ins and 2 stereo outs only, no MIDI.

Glad you´ve found the online manual.

Let me know how it works for you.

best

A.C.

Damn that's a nice DSP Plug in.

Ran it as 2 in 2 out and it just allows me to run the SSv3 hotter as the 8 inch Eminence doesn't work as hard or something.

I don't need a sub though, but if I do gigs with no PA I can drag along an 18" 1000 watter.

Cheerz

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Hello, just got the Space Station. I've been playing in my den(room about 15 X 20). The keyboard is a Tyros 4.

To me, the sound is gorgeous. I've played my Tyros using Bose, HK nano and Yamaha. Although those are great amps, for me the Tyros has never sounded so good.

I debated buying the Space Station for over a year. Glad I did.

I hope to use the Space Station and Tyros in small solo gigs.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the SSV3 today or tomorrow, but am still a bit wobbly on it. Here is a pic of my smallest rig, for very quiet gigs. Optimally, where I would like to place it is where that Passport mixer/amp sits, on my left. But that wouldn't work, would it? I would have the 6" side speaker aimed right at my face/microphone and I wouldn't get a good representation of the mix, correct? (I normally have the Passport speakers tilted in slightly for me to monitor my sound).

I keep reading that the optimal placement is 6 or 7 feet behind, but since I also normally set up in places with very limited or zero space behind me, that's not going to be a placement option for me. If it's placed on the floor to my left I'm afraid that my rack/stand will block or at least dull the sound, and if it's on the floor to my right the 6" speaker will be facing away from me.

What do y'all think? Am I worrying/overthinking this too much?

Edit to add: Usually the Passport speakers sit on the floor, where I get better bass response from the four 6"(?) Bose speakers in this Passport. Will the SSV3 match the amount of low end I'm currently getting? It's not *thump*, but it's a nice, quiet full-range.

http://i.imgur.com/FWuKp0I.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the SSV3 today or tomorrow, but am still a bit wobbly on it. Here is a pic of my smallest rig, for very quiet gigs. Optimally, where I would like to place it is where that Passport mixer/amp sits, on my left. But that wouldn't work, would it? I would have the 6" side speaker aimed right at my face/microphone and I wouldn't get a good representation of the mix, correct? (I normally have the Passport speakers tilted in slightly for me to monitor my sound).

I keep reading that the optimal placement is 6 or 7 feet behind, but since I also normally set up in places with very limited or zero space behind me, that's not going to be a placement option for me. If it's placed on the floor to my left I'm afraid that my rack/stand will block or at least dull the sound, and if it's on the floor to my right the 6" speaker will be facing away from me.

For the type of setup in your photo I setup the SS on it's side on a Gator speaker stand with the side speaker facing down. The stand raises the SS off the floor, angles the front speaker up a bit and the side speaker forward a bit. The floor in your photo looks like a reflective surface, which helps. I find that this setup sounds very good even at close range. You hear the front speaker directly, the side speaker reflecting off the floor, and the backside of the side speaker reflecting off the wall behind you. It doesn't sound as good as having the SS several feet away or as a good as it will sound to the audience, but you will hear some of the "bloom" which is very pleasing.

Synthaholic - Optimal placement is just 6 or 7 feet anywhere away. It doesn't have to be behind you. I listen to CDs on mine and can walk around the room, getting stereo everywhere. You could put the SS in front of the fireplace (away from the Christmas tree) on the floor and it would sound great, to you and everyone else. Since you use a mixer, you wouldn't have to regularly adjust the amp itself.

Also, it needs to be away from you so you will know how truly loud it is. For a long time, I put mine under my table stand (similar to yours) by my right foot and I was always too loud but couldn't tell.

In the picture, it looks like you are plugged in to the Passport from several sources, using keyboard sounds and rack sounds, correct? The SS only has a right and left input, no mixer. The SS has to have right and left from the each source to make its magic (can't plug in a right from the keyboard and a left from the rack, for instance; please excuse me if you already knew this). You might need a mixer.

Some people think the SS doesn't have a full sounding low end; I disagree. It rolls off 3db per octave, starting at about 100Hz, I believe. That's just a gradual roll off, not an abrupt cutoff. It will make plenty of bass depending on the floor. A concrete floor only helps a little, but up on a table or stand would be worse. On a wooden stage floor, I have gotten a surprising boost in the bass. By itself, it doesn't have DJ-chest-thumping bass, but a lot of people here play it by itself with great satisfaction as I am sure you have read.

Kurzweil PC4

For the type of setup in your photo I setup the SS on it's side on a Gator speaker stand with the side speaker facing down. The stand raises the SS off the floor, angles the front speaker up a bit and the side speaker forward a bit. The floor in your photo looks like a reflective surface, which helps. I find that this setup sounds very good even at close range. You hear the front speaker directly, the side speaker reflecting off the floor, and the backside of the side speaker reflecting off the wall behind you. It doesn't sound as good as having the SS several feet away or as a good as it will sound to the audience, but you will hear some of the "bloom" which is very pleasing.

I don't want to get another stand to have to load into my car. There's no room. It's another reason why the SSV3 is attractive: it's 11"x11"x18" dimensions. But I might find it necessary to have one. Thanks!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Synthaholic - Optimal placement is just 6 or 7 feet anywhere away. It doesn't have to be behind you. I listen to CDs on mine and can walk around the room, getting stereo everywhere. You could put the SS in front of the fireplace (away from the Christmas tree) on the floor and it would sound great, to you and everyone else. Since you use a mixer, you wouldn't have to regularly adjust the amp itself.

Also, it needs to be away from you so you will know how truly loud it is. For a long time, I put mine under my table stand (similar to yours) by my right foot and I was always too loud but couldn't tell.

In the picture, it looks like you are plugged in to the Passport from several sources, using keyboard sounds and rack sounds, correct? The SS only has a right and left input, no mixer. The SS has to have right and left from the each source to make its magic (can't plug in a right from the keyboard and a left from the rack, for instance; please excuse me if you already knew this). You might need a mixer.

I'm now using a small 6 channel mixer sitting inside that rack, in anticipation of retiring the Passport. That also allows me to use 1' cables to go from my rack units to that mixer, cutting out a lot of cabling to the Passport and further cutting down my setup time. The keyboard is only used as a MIDI controller.

And this photo was taken at a Christmas dinner at a church, and isn't typical of the space I normally have for setup. In fact, I usually have the Passport speakers on the ground to increase bottom end, but that wasn't appropriate for this gig.

Some people think the SS doesn't have a full sounding low end; I disagree. It rolls off 3db per octave, starting at about 100Hz, I believe. That's just a gradual roll off, not an abrupt cutoff. It will make plenty of bass depending on the floor. A concrete floor only helps a little, but up on a table or stand would be worse. On a wooden stage floor, I have gotten a surprising boost in the bass. By itself, it doesn't have DJ-chest-thumping bass, but a lot of people here play it by itself with great satisfaction as I am sure you have read.

I'm encouraged to read this - it's perhaps my biggest concern, since I use keyboard bass and drums. I'm not looking for any thump - I'll add my subwoofer when I need that - I just want it to sound as full as the Passport, at low-ish volumes.

I'm going to order it tomorrow. Worst case scenario: I don't like it and spend $40 to send it back. Thanks for responding!

Another quick question, in case anyone knows: does the SSV3 prefer balanced cables, or does it not matter?

This is the stand AQ is talking about: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GFWGTRAMP

Oh, hell - that's much smaller and compact than what I was imagining. I could prolly find a place in the car for that. Thanks!

Another quick question, in case anyone knows: does the SSV3 prefer balanced cables, or does it not matter?

It does not matter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/animated/Kip-Yesss.gif

It is NOT a good vocal monitor. I didn't work for me at all, I still have to haul a K10 with me for that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

It is NOT a good vocal monitor. I didn't work for me at all, I still have to haul a K10 with me for that.

Mine works fine for me as an everything solution to my one-man rig -- CP4, SR-18 drum machine, and TC Helicon for vocals. I do need to use a small sub, though, because the SSv3 doesn't have quite enough bottom (for me, anyway) with the drums, even in fairly quiet settings.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

This is the stand AQ is talking about: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GFWGTRAMP

Oh, hell - that's much smaller and compact than what I was imagining. I could prolly find a place in the car for that. Thanks!

Along the same lines, I picked up this stand that folds flat and is currently $10 less.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS4000

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Along the same lines, I picked up this stand that folds flat and is currently $10 less.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS4000

The smaller OnStage stand is better for me. I bought an Apex stand (same as the Gator) and it's overkill and clumsy to pack.

Re: vocal monitor. I haven't tried running vocals through it but it seems to me if you run keyboards and vocals at the same time, there would be too much of a compromise setting your width control for instruments requiring more spread (ie organ) and vocals which would probably sound better with a narrower setting.

Here for the gear.

Mine works fine for me as an everything solution to my one-man rig -- CP4, SR-18 drum machine, and TC Helicon for vocals. I do need to use a small sub, though, because the SSv3 doesn't have quite enough bottom (for me, anyway) with the drums, even in fairly quiet settings.

I could see it working in a 1 man band setting, but not as a vocal monitor with the amp behind you in a louder band setting.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Shit. Now I'm getting wobbly again.

Wobble, wobble ...

The SSv3 wasn't intended as a near-field vocal monitor. If that's what you're looking for, there are probably far better choices.

What it does do well is fill a room with lush stereo. Of course, that presumes you feed it decent stereo content: leslie, chorus, pans, etc. Feed it a mono signal and all the magic is lost, although it holds its own.

So, when I got mine, I immediately thought "well, I probably need more bass". So I got the Behringer unit, gigged with it a few times. Yes, it added a bit more bottom.

But one day as I was loading up for the gig, I thought "gee, do I really need that?". And since then the bass sub has stayed home, gathering dust. Note: I am not doing heavy bass parts.

BTW, SSv3 also pairs well with bass amps, self-powered PA units, etc. But part of the undeniable appeal is having less stuff to schlep.

The real decider is: do you want a small, loud unit that's capable of filling most venues with great stereo without having to lug more gear?

If yes, this is your amp.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Wobble, wobble ...

The SSv3 wasn't intended as a near-field vocal monitor. If that's what you're looking for, there are probably far better choices.

What it does do well is fill a room with lush stereo. Of course, that presumes you feed it decent stereo content: leslie, chorus, pans, etc. Feed it a mono signal and all the magic is lost, although it holds its own.

So, when I got mine, I immediately thought "well, I probably need more bass". So I got the Behringer unit, gigged with it a few times. Yes, it added a bit more bottom.

But one day as I was loading up for the gig, I thought "gee, do I really need that?". And since then the bass sub has stayed home, gathering dust. Note: I am not doing heavy bass parts.

BTW, SSv3 also pairs well with bass amps, self-powered PA units, etc. But part of the undeniable appeal is having less stuff to schlep.

The real decider is: do you want a small, loud unit that's capable of filling most venues with great stereo without having to lug more gear?

If yes, this is your amp.

* I'm a one-man-band with MIDI sequences of bass and drums.

* I've been running stereo for the past 16 years with my Fender Passport Deluxe PD250.

* I've sequenced to take advantage of that stereo.

* I'm looking to replace the Passport on quiet gigs, i.e. luncheons for The Association of Retired Realtors, where they want music, but want to hold conversations without a speaker directed at them.

* Just because it's a quiet gig, I still don't want the bass/drums to sound tinny. I'm not expecting boom, just fullness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nflh0jpjV-I

Many videos here of the SS3. I do a lot of solo gigs using Band-In A Box or iRealPro for bass and drums accompaniment. For my gigs the SS3 provides more than enough bass. I play jazz and standards. I also use a small mixer to run my kybrd and bass/drums to the SS3.

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

* I'm a one-man-band with MIDI sequences of bass and drums.

* I've been running stereo for the past 16 years with my Fender Passport Deluxe PD250.

* I've sequenced to take advantage of that stereo.

* I'm looking to replace the Passport on quiet gigs, i.e. luncheons for The Association of Retired Realtors, where they want music, but want to hold conversations without a speaker directed at them.

* Just because it's a quiet gig, I still don't want the bass/drums to sound tinny. I'm not expecting boom, just fullness.

I think it comes down to setting it up and EQing your sound to taste. I didn't use a sub for my last performance which included organ/piano sounds + a variety of kits from a DR-880 drum machine. I wasn't thrilled with the way one of the kits sounded through the SS, but was able to EQ the drum machine so it was beating the SS so hard. I was satisfied with the sound.

Could I have had more thump with a sub? Sure, but I was happy with the result from EQing. I think it'll depend what YOU think sounds good in the end.

Hit up Aspen or the network here to see if you could bring your setup and plug in to check it out for yourself. Assuming you're in CA, you might be able to find someone close that would be willing to let you try it out.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I've been running stereo for the past 16 years with my Fender Passport Deluxe PD250.

To me the SS is much, much better than the Passport. YMMV.

As far as ideal placement and all that. Just set it up anywhere in your house or apartment, run some tracks through it and walk around including to different rooms. You'll see.

At gigs, I've now had several instances where somebody sat in on keys so I got the chance to hear it around various rooms. Sounds just great. Without fail different players ask me what the heck is that thing? I suspect I've contributed to quite a few sales. I've been in such tight spaces that literally one foot is scraping the side of the SS and others where I've had room to set it many feet away. No doubt like any speaker a little distance helps you as the player to hear it better but even right on top of it I can hear myself way better than sitting right on top of my EV powered PA speaker I used to use.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Ordered it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/04.gif

Thanks all!

Ordered it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/04.gif

Thanks all!

Oh no. :o

Huge mistake. :(

Just kidding......congratulations.

Yeah, I own one, and like it a lot. :keynana:

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator