Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2902011 - 01/14/18 02:01 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
So...no orders for my patent applied for Guitarists Guitar Wrist Caddy TM, eh ?
thu grin

GP Island
#2902058 - 01/14/18 05:25 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
One of the reasons I eventually went 100% pickless was that I was screwed if dropped my pick... ! crazy Now I never use them at all. I find THAT to be the most effective way to solve this problem! grin thu .

If it works for Jeff Beck, it can't be all bad!

#2905987 - 01/31/18 05:30 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: picker
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
One of the reasons I eventually went 100% pickless was that I was screwed if dropped my pick... ! crazy Now I never use them at all. I find THAT to be the most effective way to solve this problem! grin thu .

If it works for Jeff Beck, it can't be all bad!

Indeed, picker, indeed! Derek Trucks, too! I dearly love playing this way, and would have it no other.

Now, I am going to very soon be taking delivery of a full set of THESE-

----____

- which, while not cheap for the initial full-kit (including an electric heating "Activation Chamber" unit), would likely be an excellent cure for your problem, Dan. And you could go with a whole bunch of index-nail picks (ie, many/all of one size), instead of the full set for all five fingers and thumb, if you wanted to. If you could hang with using an index-nail/pick for your flatpicking, this removable/reusable fingernail-pick would stay put and not be as subject to wear and tear as a natural fingernail is...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2906098 - 01/31/18 01:01 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
FYI - this was a bit of a zombie thread that has been resurrected. I'm no longer in the band where I was having the issues. Now I either play keys or guitar during songs, not both, so the problem fixed itself, LOL.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2906119 - 01/31/18 02:35 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: J. Dan]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Those fingernail picks look like a good idea, and it looks like you have to have enough of your own nails to get 'em on correctly. But what I wanna know is,....

How did they get that cameraman INSIDE the guitar for those shots! grin
Whitefang

#2906137 - 01/31/18 04:28 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Macro-nanotechnology---they genetically engineered a crew of mini-peeps & gear....... grin ........................................................................................................or maybe just stuck a fiber-optic comp camera in there.

#2906212 - 01/31/18 10:27 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
How did they get that cameraman INSIDE the guitar for those shots! grin

Originally Posted By: d
Macro-nanotechnology---they genetically engineered a crew of mini-peeps & gear....... grin ........................................................................................................or maybe just stuck a fiber-optic comp camera in there.

Naturally, they play a little guitar... rimshot

Those fingernail picks look like a good idea, and it looks like you have to have enough of your own nails to get 'em on correctly.

I'll give a full report and review when I get my paws on 'em, ehr, I mean, when I get 'em on my paws...

Apparently, you can manage 'em with very little nail; one eyeballs the sizes needed with a transparent sizing-sheet before ordering the picks themselves, and they slip onto the sides of the nails, and also have an adhesive that adheres to the surface of the nail; warmed-up, the pick material better conforms to the surface, and the adhesive "gap-fills". They can be easily removed and re-used. I'm looking forward to trying them...

#2906231 - 02/01/18 03:55 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

As for finger and thumbpicks, I often read from some in here that they don't like thumbpicks because they're too tight on their thumbs and so are fingerpicks for others. Those nail jobs might be a nice solutions, but I wonder if somehow making custom fitted finger and thumbpicks might not be a good(albeit slightly costly) solution?

I personally have no big issue with thumbpicks, but I do notice at times they eventually do get uncomfortable. I know they come in variou sizes, but my thumb is an "in between" size, too thick for the medium size, and too thin for the large. frown
Whitefang

#2906249 - 02/01/18 05:05 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

As for finger and thumbpicks, I often read from some in here that they don't like thumbpicks because they're too tight on their thumbs and so are fingerpicks for others. Those nail jobs might be a nice solutions, but I wonder if somehow making custom fitted finger and thumbpicks might not be a good(albeit slightly costly) solution?

I personally have no big issue with thumbpicks, but I do notice at times they eventually do get uncomfortable. I know they come in variou sizes, but my thumb is an "in between" size, too thick for the medium size, and too thin for the large. frown
Whitefang

_ Try heating up some water in a large glass/Pyrex measuring-cup in a microwave, dropping one of those plastic thumb- or finger-picks into it, and continuing to heat it in the microwave; then carefully remove the pick with tongs or some such way without scalding yourself, adjust the size and fit up or down by stretching or squashing it while warm and more pliable, and then drop it into some ice-water to set. Trial-and-error should do it!

#2906524 - 02/02/18 04:17 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

grin
OK, that might work. So, how did YOURS turn out? wink

I thought too, something(or things) designed on the order of a thimble might be a good idea too. idea I remember there were these little toy kind of thingies that fit over your fingers that had "monster" fingernails on them(usually found around Halloween).
Whitefang

#2906528 - 02/02/18 05:02 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

grin
OK, that might work. So, how did YOURS turn out? wink

I used to do that with little rain-drop shaped mandolin-picks, bending them to a curved, concave shape, and also filing and smoothing their edges to a smooth, round radius. I even dropped them into a jewelry tumbler to buff 'em to an exceedingly smooth finish! This made some really great picks- when I still used picks!

I never tried that with thumbpicks or fingerpicks, but my previous experience doing so with flatpicks shows that it is completely do-able.

I thought too, something(or things) designed on the order of a thimble might be a good idea too. idea I remember there were these little toy kind of thingies that fit over your fingers that had "monster" fingernails on them(usually found around Halloween).

I seem to recall having seen thimble-like finger and thumb picks over the years; all manner of 'em. Recently there was also the "Ultimate Fingerpick" kick-starter program; not sure if they've gotten to the point where you can order them yet. Personally, I wouldn't care for all the material around my finger-tips, as I also use my finger-tip pads for playing. Others may like 'em just fine!

________

________

#2906746 - 02/03/18 04:11 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Alrighty then.

There too, in a couple of old GP mags I used to have, were ads for devices called "Hawaiian finger picks". There weren't any photos with the ads, so I don't know what THEY were all about. Any time I try googling them I just get led to sites for regular finger picks or Hawaiian music.
Whitefang

#2906774 - 02/03/18 07:27 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What did that even mean ?
idk

#2906813 - 02/03/18 10:02 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Winston Psmith]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Been using V-Picks for the last couple of years. They're HUGE; too thick to shove under your pickguard, but they won't slip in between your keys, either.

As an aside, I`ve had a V-pick for about 18 months. They have a very positive grip, similar to mammoth ivory. They may slide around a little between your fingers but, once you have a grip on them you kind of have to open your fingers to lose one.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2906826 - 02/03/18 10:44 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
My Cool picks with serrated tops stay in my hand very well. The old Everly picks with the star hole did too. Only problem is the Everly's break after awhile... cool

#2906863 - 02/03/18 01:23 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There are still a few units of The Guitarists The Guitar Wrist Caddy (TM) available... facepalm

#2906917 - 02/03/18 04:16 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: d
There are still a few units of The Guitarists The Guitar Wrist Caddy (TM) available... facepalm

Tell us more!

#2907012 - 02/04/18 04:39 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

And what about that "special" pick actor BILLY GRAY was supposed to be famous for inventing?
Whitefang

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose