Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2763411 - 03/10/16 04:32 PM Pick Handling
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I don't know if any others of you are multi-instrumentalists or just might have some good ideas, but here's my issue. I'm playing keys and Rhythm guitar in a band. Many times I'm needing to go back and forth pretty quickly - jump right from keys to guitar during the solo then back to keys, etc. Trying to get to the pick quickly or do something other than drop it on the floor going the other way, is tripping me up. I tried grabbing it with my teeth a few times but I have to sing also and ultimately I drop it. I've tried setting it close by on my keys but it slides off or worse, goes into the cracks between the keys. Any good ideas for a way to be able to quickly stash/grab it going back and forth? The many times I've dropped it I end up just playing with my fingers which is ok but not ideal (at a minimum it just sounds different).

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

GP Island
#2763413 - 03/10/16 04:46 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: J. Dan]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Superglue grin

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

#2763418 - 03/10/16 05:10 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: SEHpicker]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Playing keys is the problem otherwise I would reccomend trying Herco Thumb/Flat picks.

I have these on my guitar strap. At least if you drop one you can grab another fast.

http://www.amazon.com/Fretfunk-Guitar-Strap-Pick-Holder/dp/B004U2HT9Y

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2763420 - 03/10/16 05:19 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: CEB]
CEB Offline
10k Club

At least if you did play Hercos they would not fall between the cracks. I don't think these are for you but if you would like to try these you will probably need to use the hot water treatment to get them fit right. I use them because I am a country finger style hybrid picker.

http://www.amazon.com/Herco®-HE113P-Thumbpicks-Heavy-Players/dp/B0009QTQ32

Edited by CEB (03/10/16 05:24 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2763423 - 03/10/16 05:51 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: CEB]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

I used to have a guitar with a pick guard that worked well, but I don't have it anymore and the explorer pick guard doesn't have enough of a gap to work. Something either really close to picking position or keys playing position would be ideal. Maybe something like that strap, or the ones that attach to your mic stand that I could affix to either the Kronos or my guitar. Volume's a bit of an issue too since I'm not quick enough sometimes with the volume pot and strings can ring when I go to keys. Working on being able to assign the Kronos volume pedal to guitar volume. Even better, maybe a sustain pedal to mute/unmute.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2763424 - 03/10/16 05:51 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: CEB]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
I don't know if this will work for you but there is a thing called Pic Stick, it attaches to your guitar strap and holds 5 picks. I haven't tried it but am thinking about getting one. I found online at Sam Ash.

#2763425 - 03/10/16 05:52 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: JuJu Kwan]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: JuJu Kwan
I don't know if this will work for you but there is a thing called Pic Stick, it attaches to your guitar strap and holds 5 picks. I haven't tried it but am thinking about getting one. I found online at Sam Ash.

I was typing same time you were typing this. My strap may be too far out of the way, but if I could affix it to my guitar or keyboard, that would work.

Edit: searched the Sam Ash site with no results

Edited by J. Dan (03/10/16 05:54 PM)

#2763428 - 03/10/16 06:01 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: J. Dan]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
Go to the Sam Ash site and type in guitar pick holders in the search window.

#2763431 - 03/10/16 06:15 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: JuJu Kwan]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

Ah, found it

From the picture, it looks like I could adapt it to be velcroed to a flat surface. That could work!

#2763438 - 03/10/16 06:50 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: J. Dan]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Ah, found it

From the picture, it looks like I could adapt it to be velcroed to a flat surface. That could work!

One of the reasons I eventually went 100% pickless was that I was screwed if dropped my pick... ! crazy Now I never use them at all. I find THAT to be the most effective way to solve this problem! grin thu

There are also numerous pick holder/dispenser devices out there by the likes of Ernie Ball, Planet Waves, Dunlop, etc. that mount- usually by removable adhesive- to the surface of your pickguard or guitar.

On top of such accessories, you would do well to hedge your bet by having rows of picks stuck to mic-stands, the side of your keyboard, etc. with strips tape or between strips of Velcro, ready for a quickly grabbed replacement if you drop a pick.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2763468 - 03/10/16 11:33 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Yes, whatever you end up doing multiple picks are the way to go. Whatever is the shortest distance between dropping one pick if it happens, and picking up another-so to speak...
if you are into exotic materials that could be kind of a pain-half a dozen could easily run over $100. Still the way to go.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2763487 - 03/11/16 04:27 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: skipclone 1]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
A bit of double sided tape - doesn't need to be big - stuck on the upper horn of the guitar - pick sticks to it & is easy to peel off. Renew as needed.

G.

#2763494 - 03/11/16 05:07 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maine
These won't fall through the keys.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GOJZO/ref=sr_rp_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ie=UTF8&qid=1457701535&sr=sr-1&keywords=dava+picks

#2763513 - 03/11/16 06:35 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: bbqbob]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Been using V-Picks for the last couple of years. They're HUGE; too thick to shove under your pickguard, but they won't slip in between your keys, either.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2763538 - 03/11/16 08:24 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
It also sounds a bit like MULTI-TASKING is a large part of the problem here. Either play guitar or keys. One at a time! grin

Yeah, well the closest I ever came to that situation was having to put my pick somewhere handy when I moved to harmonica( and a holder wasn't feasible), in which case, due to my guitar at the time (WAY back in "the day") being a solid body electric, and tucking it twixt the pickguard and body wasn't difficult nor really took long to do. Had I been playing a semi-hollow, I have NO idea what I would have done.

In your case, the thumbpick might be a good idea. IF wearing it doesn't interfere with what you're doing on the keyboard. And if you find the typical thumbpick too heavy of guage, it CAN be filed, sanded or otherwise ground down to a workable thin/thickness.
Whitefang

#2763539 - 03/11/16 08:25 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I always have trouble quick starting with my pick also, I use the tiny Fender 358 jazz picks which makes it even more difficult. So I don't play chords in performance which takes a different pick position than playing leads. I do practice chords in my warmups and do play the chord progressions in recording and composition.

My advice would be to add time to your transition with a little arrangement of some sort of lead in to extend the transition time from keys to guitar and back.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2763657 - 03/11/16 12:37 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
You could go with acrylic nail(s)...I would just lay the pick on the key board back in the day, but they make holders for straps, mic stands, hats, stick-ons, wrist bands, necklaces, etc. Just have to [pick] one LOL! cool

#2763762 - 03/11/16 03:16 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Larryz]
ademus Offline

Don't put in mouth lest band mates know cpr. Pinky curl And/ or loaded pick strip to right of keys. Along the right end cap.

#2764121 - 03/13/16 08:55 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: ademus]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
I'm with everyone who says get rid of the pick if you're a keyboardist - or at least try to minimize the use. But, if you're stuck with a pick, you have to accept that you're probably going to lose a few measures during the transition. If it's rhythm you're playing, that shouldn't be too much of an issue, and when you return to the keys, the arrangement should be such that the gap is filled by another instrument - drums, bass, vocals, etc. Just an old coot's opinion.

#2764131 - 03/13/16 09:25 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: DocPate]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I saw a band once with a keyboardist who played guitar, too... sometimes solos or harmony lines with the other guitarist, and he did something that was clever. He had a velcro strap on his wrist like a bracelet, and on a string hanging from it was a a metal (I think) guitar pick, out of the way hanging there when his hand was raised to play keys, then he'd grab it quickly when he switched. I guess he'd been doing it a while and it was automatic for him.

A local prog rock guy (who unfortunately just passed away a few years ago) invented something in the late 70s called the Schizotron, which... well, here is the bass version:

He had 6 and 2 string guitar versions, too. With the pictured versions he seemed to hit a boost pedal so the the stringed instrument portion was super touch-sensitive, but he also had versions where each string had little metal claws that plucked the strings when you touched them. I think he was always trying to have them marketed.

#2764283 - 03/13/16 07:49 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: p90jr]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: p90jr
I saw a band once with a keyboardist who played guitar, too... sometimes solos or harmony lines with the other guitarist, and he did something that was clever. He had a velcro strap on his wrist like a bracelet, and on a string hanging from it was a a metal (I think) guitar pick, out of the way hanging there when his hand was raised to play keys, then he'd grab it quickly when he switched. I guess he'd been doing it a while and it was automatic for him.

That's an interesting thought

#2764306 - 03/14/16 01:38 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: J. Dan]
Rikismyname Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire
Multiple picks , attach something with Velcro to you keyboard and also put a couple of pics in the pic guard if you have one.
Or you can get those little triangle pick holders that go on the back of the headstock.

Come to think of it why don't you buy 3 triangle pick dispensers? Put 2 on your keyboard somewhere and one on the guitar or something and buy a jumbo pack of picks.

Edited by Rikismyname (03/14/16 01:39 AM)

#2901838 - 01/13/18 12:02 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Rikismyname]
Jlev12 Offline

I would recomend the guitar strap with built in pick holder. But there's an epic resource with different pick holder options that you might find useful: http://guitarpickzone.com/guitar-pick-holder/

Hope this helps smile

#2901846 - 01/13/18 12:37 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Jlev12]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Can you just do this:
My Pics

#2901849 - 01/13/18 12:58 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: A String]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
If you've ever watched Brad Paisley, he goes through a bunch of picks.
https://goo.gl/images/eaMSSE

#2901856 - 01/13/18 01:54 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Quote:
It also sounds a bit like MULTI-TASKING is a large part of the problem here. Either play guitar or keys. One at a time! grin

Then how's he gonna do the Prince trick of simultaneously playing the same line on kboard & gtr ? idk

As a generally pickless player I'd go along w/ Caev & suggest you go Jeff Beck style...but sometimes a pick does seem necessary.

More up the alley, seems like you've already got all the best options, the best of which, I'd say, is to use one of those tape strips w/a buncha picks so y don't even worry abt it & just grab a new one.
Have yer roadie collect 'em all at the end of the show.
He won't mind.

THIS JUST IN
If y' don't wanna invest in a gross of picks for the tape chain (though I understand you might get a deal from DBM/desertbluesman on some he's not using anymore) or, like me, you keep a variety of types handy for specific techniques & need to have that multitude available, drill a small hole in the grip of each pick, run a string through them & attach that to yer wrist.
If you want something more professional looking you can order one of my patent applied for Guitarists Guitar Wrist Caddy TM from me.
thu grin

#2901874 - 01/13/18 04:07 PM Re: Pick Handling [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
shocked
Was in a band in which the player that never did any vocals figured he could hold a few picks in his lips or clenched in his teeth, which worked well for a while until he forgot he had them there when he took a big swig of "pick flavored" water! sick

He later lamented: "They went DOWN easy enough. But their COMING OUT was rough!" freak
Whitefang

#2901934 - 01/14/18 07:50 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I rarely drop and never break a pick, so I don't worry about it and play with my fingers until the next song comes up. If the pick drops through the floor boards or I can't find it on the floor for some reason, I just pull one out of my guitar case as I always carry a spare. Most of the time I wind up loaning the spare to someone who forgot their pick LOL! cool

#2901942 - 01/14/18 08:32 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Slightly related thought - While I tend to stick with one type of pick, I'll try to have the same model pick in a couple of different colors, so I'm not dropping a black pick on a black stage in a darkened room. I've seen some glow-in-the-dark picks, too, but haven't really gone over to them.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2901963 - 01/14/18 10:26 AM Re: Pick Handling [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Good call Winston...my picks are red so I'll think about that color concept if I'm ever playing on a red carpet LOL! The Cool picks and the Everly picks I used awhile back change thickness when you change colors. I may start packing 3 different colors from now on! Then I can use thicker or thinner picks if I drop my red one! thu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose