Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

The Boss DD-500 looks tempting. I would like a delay that will not murder the tone of a pedal steel with patch memory so I can save delay settings for particular songs.

The DD-500 just became a candidate. There is also a Line 6 thingy and the Korg SDD-3000 is on closeout. I don't really want to spend the extra cash for an Eventide but that may be a better unit.

PS - DL-4 seems to have only 3 presets plus it is modeled and I think Line 6 modeling amps suck. So their modeling delay sort of scares me. The Boss DD-500 looks pretty good on paper but I have not heard one.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The Twin Stags struck me as one of those that does a LOT of things that can be done with 2 good discrete pedals* (which is why I probably won't buy one- those bases are covered).

BUT it is all in one housing, so it is more efficient on a daily usage basis (3 fewer cables to deal with), and there's some additional tricks up its sleeve. So it could be great for a board running short on space.

Much the same could probably be said of the DBA IODD, but I think DOD fuzzes sound a bit different from many, more mainstream fuzz pedals, so it's more likely I'll purchase one.

* and to be clear, I have several "double" or "triple" pedals: Visual Sounds H20 and Jekyll & Hyde; the Black Arts Toneworks Sarcophagus; a Red Witch Titan delay; EHX's Epitome and so forth.

:2thu: :2thu: :cool: :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I played a version 1 Visual Sound Route 66 double pedal for quite sometime. I liked it. Eventually 225-235 pound man wearing cowboy boots took its toll. Cracked circuit board and other component failures the poor pedal just wasn't dependable. The cases on the newer VS pedals are supposed to be stronger. I ended up replacing the pedal with Sparkle Drive Mod and a Wampler Ego.

I'm 265 myself, and wear cowboy boots, too- albeit not usually when playing guitar- and my VS pedals (both V2 models) still look nice & work just fine.

Yours may have been defective. I may have a lighter "touch". The V1 s might not have been as well made as V2 or the new TrueTone V3s.

And, of course, it is entirely possible that you've used yours more than I have mine. :)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

There is video demo somewhere that kind of addresses this. :D

I will see if I can find it.

PS Here it is!

[video:youtube]

PS - DL-4 seems to have only 3 presets plus it is modeled and I think Line 6 modeling amps suck. So their modeling delay sort of scares me. The Boss DD-500 looks pretty good on paper but I have not heard one.

CEB, the DL4 sounds just fine. I have one of the original U.S.-made ones, and I've used it for years. The REAL issue with the DL4 is that there's no "Manual" mode, as such.

Every time you turn it on and press a switch, it will default to one of your 3 presets; the settings on the dials don't matter, in relation to what you're hearing, it's all about whatever settings you stored with that preset. You can reach down, and change all the settings, but unless you then store that sound, erasing whatever you may have already stored in that slot, as soon as you step on a different switch, for a different preset, the sound you just dialed up will be gone, and when you step back on that switch, you'll be back to the original preset. Same thing if you turn off the DL4. Next time you turn it on, and step on Footswitch #1 (or 2, or 3), the original preset will be there waiting for you. FWIW, all of the big Line 6 Modelers worked that way, but you could store 4 sounds in the others.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Thanks. I already have one delay for making big lush sounds. The thing I want 2nd delay with patch memory for is to setup dotted 1/8 single repeats in specific tempos.

For a tele it is no big deal just use tap tempo. But on steel right foot rides volume pedal and left foot is on the changer pedals. I don't even set my effects on the floor they are on a small table to my right. There are not many. Just a RV-5 and and DE-7 delay and soon a 2nd delay. I have an old Jordan Boss Tone clone that plugs directly into the guitar output jack.

I just need to setup maybe a dozen preset tempos so I can get 2 notes for the price of one and sound like I am really fast. LOL

Good to know the Line 6 AD/DA conversions do not wreck your tone.

I have an old Jordan Boss Tone clone that plugs directly into the guitar output jack.

I have the VooDoo Lab Boss Tone reissue! Love it! Way back in the mid-70's, I was in a band where that was the Rhythm Guitarist's only effect, plugged right into the guitar jack. It went well with my NYC Big Muff.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

It's orginal purpose as far as I know was to provide a 'string' effect for pedal steel. Chris Mahoney is the guy building the most accurate reissue. It plugs right into the output on the guitar.

http://mahoneyguitargear.com/product8.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Funky stuff ahead:

Cool. :cool: I've long had and greatly enjoyed a tiny, similarly purple Guyatone SV2 Slow Volume, which is a particularly good "attack-delay/swell" envelope-controlled volume device, and definitely an improvement on the venerable and rare/overpriced Boss SG-2 Slow Gear. I am likely to score a VFE Bumblebee in the near future, though, as I suspect it to be a strong improvement on the Guyatone SV2, in turn. I've also occasionally used the SV2 as a noise-gate.

Caev, I think you're gonna love this one. It's a space hog, yes, but...just LOOK at it!

I'd seen and heard that! Hilarious cosmetic flare and a good combination-pedal, for sure. I do already have several octave-fuzzes (and will surely wind up with more! :crazy: ) and a really nice late-model Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, fuzz-friendly and with a switchable, adjustable active buffer/boost on its output, though...

This is not exactly new but, it`s so hard to track one down that it might as well be. I have asked several friends from Italy about it but,no luck so far. Maybe someday-anyway...:

http://www.orlandoamps.com/ebrilliance.html

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Funky stuff ahead:

Cool. :cool: I've long had and greatly enjoyed a tiny, similarly purple Guyatone SV2 Slow Volume, which is a particularly good "attack-delay/swell" envelope-controlled volume device, and definitely an improvement on the venerable and rare/overpriced Boss SG-2 Slow Gear. I am likely to score a VFE Bumblebee in the near future, though, as I suspect it to be a strong improvement on the Guyatone SV2, in turn. I've also occasionally used the SV2 as a noise-gate.

Caev, I think you're gonna love this one. It's a space hog, yes, but...just LOOK at it!

I'd seen and heard that! Hilarious cosmetic flare and a good combination-pedal, for sure. I do already have several octave-fuzzes (and will surely wind up with more! :crazy: ) and a really nice late-model Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, fuzz-friendly and with a switchable, adjustable active buffer/boost on its output, though...

As of right now, the only octave-fuzz I own is my Catalinbread Perseus. But I like Dr. No's stuff, and...maaaaaayyyybe.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

As of right now, the only octave-fuzz I own is my Catalinbread Perseus. But I like Dr. No's stuff, and...maaaaaayyyybe.

The Catalinbread Perseus is a two-octave-down octave-fuzz based on or reminiscent of the MXR Blue Box of Jimmy Page/"Fool In The Rain" fame, no? :cool: I've got a Blue Box, and might be interested in the Perseus if it improves upon the BB in any way...

I can VERY HIGHLY recommend the all-analog Foxrox Octron or Octron 2 to you- Octave-Up Fuzz as per fOXX Tone Machine, Octave-Down Fuzz a la Mu'Tron Octave-Divider, and a buffered/boosted Direct, all three mixable/blendable to taste, with very useful internal trim-pots and option-switches to tailor it all to your tastes and needs. One of the very best pedals I have, and a true classic among latter-day stomps. Run it at 18vdc for best results- but no higher, despite older information out there.

The Octron 2 adds individual stomp-switches and status LED's respective to the Octave-Up, Direct, Octave-Down, and Bypass/On on a larger enclosure, to the Octron.

The Catalinbread Perseus is a two-octave-down octave-fuzz based on or reminiscent of the MXR Blue Box of Jimmy Page/"Fool In The Rain" fame, no? I've got a Blue Box, and might be interested in the Perseus if it improves upon the BB in any way...

I believe you have the right of it. I can't say for sure, though- never even seen a BB, much less played one, so I can't really compare.

I'd like to get an Ibanez 808 plus boost but at 250 I can't really afford it right now as I have get a new amp in a few months.

There are pedals that cost less that deliver the 808's tones. And some give you other features in addition. You could probably get a used Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2 (OD/Dist) for @$90 or less. Ditto their Double Trouble V2 (dual OD).

They changed their name to TrueTone, and as part of the metamorphosis, they've reworked and are re-releasing their more popular pedals. The V3s are better built and have even more features.

...but you should still save up for your amp first. :)

I believe I posted here about the Catalinbread EchoRec, which took a shot at recreating the tones you get from the classic Binson Echoplex. Well, another company has taken aim at the same target. Here it is, the Gurus Echosex2:

All you Angusphiles are about to feel young again:

Interesting, and definitely different!

Seems that Shaffer Vega wireless-unit was for Angus Young what the preamp of the Solid State EP-3 Echoplex was for Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, and others; or, similarly, what Paul Deacon's home-made SS preamp/booster was for Brian May, or that Aiwa tape-deck preamp was for Ritchie Blackmore. Cool.

I never would have suspected that a wireless-unit was an important part of Angus Young's recording signal-chain in the studio on those albums. Huh! :crazy:

"The more you know"... :thu::cool:

I believe I posted here about the Catalinbread EchoRec, which took a shot at recreating the tones you get from the classic Binson Echoplex. Well, another company has taken aim at the same target. Here it is, the Gurus Echosex2:

Sounds beautiful!

oh hell yeah my prayers have been answered!

As a dedicated MIDI Guitar geek, and one who's programmed some version of that Watcher Of The Skies Mellotron sound in every Synth I own, I have to admit, I'm favorably impressed. That Court Of The Crimson King opening was very nice, as well.

I'm much too invested (in every sense of the word) in my Guitar Synth rig now to chuck it and switch over to, say, a Mel9 and an SY-300, but I do like the idea of having access to more of these sounds from my guitars lacking hex pickups. For players who've been on the fence, because of cost & hardware issues, this is breakthrough technology, and yes, I'll probably buy one.

As a dedicated MIDI Guitar geek, and one who's programmed some version of that Watcher Of The Skies Mellotron sound in every Synth I own, I have to admit, I'm favorably impressed. That Court Of The Crimson King opening was very nice, as well.

I'm much too invested (in every sense of the word) in my Guitar Synth rig now to chuck it and switch over to, say, a Mel9 and an SY-300, but I do like the idea of having access to more of these sounds from my guitars lacking hex pickups. For players who've been on the fence, because of cost & hardware issues, this is breakthrough technology, and yes, I'll probably buy one.

Much agreed, despite my NOT having experience with MIDI and real synths and samplers and all. While some critical listening would have me HAVE to admit that this series of EH pedals sound a little cheesy if compared to 'serious' keyboards and synths, etc., they ARE a LOT of FUN and sound PLENTY good enough! :D:2thu:

I own a B9, and really will most likely end up owning all four of these. I will say that the B9 sounds even better yet when run through my Boss RT-20 Leslie-sim pedal- especially in stereo-. And, the B9 is awfully bright and piercing- so much so that it would be a LOT more useful in my live rig if it had some sort of tone-control to roll back, or its own dedicated amp.