Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting folks, ...long, long time lurker here.

I felt it might be wise to check out some other introductions and just one page back Lindaru's hit a chord with me. Back in 1962 I'd been persuaded by a girl I fancied to join a church choir in South London. One rehearsal, in order to impress, you understand, I made (if I may say so) a valiant attempt to play Nut Rocker on the pipe organ; hence began my education on envelopes and attack!

A few years later Soul was all the rage in the UK and my Vox Continental 11 and I entered into the spirit.

Day drawing office job was boring so nightclub trio in a provincial town offered an escape. From there a year or two playing for GIs on R&R in Bangkok and then on to the SE Asian circuit turned the boy into the man.

Back in UK Big Band, Pub Rock, Duo and eventually solo work paid the bills over 24 years.

Now I just play at home with friends and perhaps two or three gigs.

However, with advancing years (I'm now 68) comes the desire for advancing knowledge. Apologies to all you consummate pros who left me behind years ago but can you please resurrect "The Reharm Room"

BTW for those that have been paying attention I never nailed the church girl but......

Hey, there, Rofox, and welcome!

:wave:

I would hardly say anyone has left you behind. We all fit into wherever we fit best and while I am delighted that my start off resonates, I do not consider myself to be a real pro either, but it is a life that I chose (or should I say it chose me).

I look forward to hearing about your adventures in the U.K. and Asia. The only other country I have been to is Canada, but I never played there.

Lately for me it has also been few and far between for gigs as well, so I spend much of my time writing music for my radio shows and adding to my album tracks. I have to say the diversity of paths for me have been interesting and make me feel more fully rounded as I continue to grow.

:cheers::)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Been lurking for awhile and decided to start posting a little. I'm delighted to see that there are plenty of NC and VA keyboardists represented.

Quick bio: I'm a native Virginian but live in the Tarheel state. Been playing keys for 25+ years (wow, I'm getting old). My first electronic keyboard was a Casio MT-100 and my first real synth was a Korg Poly-800. I've come a little ways since those synth beginnings in the mid-1980s. :-)

Looking forward to participating in the forum and getting to know everyone.

By the way, anyone going to Moogfest in Durham this year?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi my name is Paul Kondig. I have been in before, but it was a long time ago.

My interests range from Antique wind up phonographs. I have a Victrola floor model machine, an Edison S-19 Diamond Disc Phonograph. Two Edison Cylinder Machines, and tow Columbia cylinder machines. I also have an interest in synthesizers and electronic music. I own an Arturia MicroBrute, Moog Theremin, ARP OMNI( dead unfortunately), and a Farfisa Combo Organ, which I may be selling, along with he OMNI.

I work at a Private Banquet/Wedding Facility called Ceresville Mansion. In Frederick Maryland as a Steward Manager. I am not married, nor do I have girlfriend, and I live alone.

Welcome Paul. I've also got an Edison cylinder machine, though it needs a belt and a good lubrication. Have a Moog Theremin, too! Glad to have you with us!

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Hi

Im Don. Im a retired sometimes trial lawyer whos lived in places as far flung as Rio de Janeiro and Malibu, California.

At 8 years old I played trumpet in a music lesson studio marching band in a small Midwestern town. From then till age 71, nada. While practicing law (kind of interesting, isnt it, that one practices both law and music?) I always felt guilty taking time away from preparing for the next trial, to take up an instrument again, and so, didnt.

At retirement I made a conscious decision to spend far more time with beauty and far less with mammon. Thus piano/keyboard lessons. At my age I struggle with the mechanics, but for me the love of music is a powerful mental aphrodisiac.

My wife and I go to concerts and I at home listen. Voraciously. Mostly classical piano but some contemporary composers from Silvestrov to Levingston and those in between, and, of all things, salsa from the 60s-80s, gospel and a little world music. Go figure.

A few years ago Craigslist was my source for a Roland A90-EX controller. Then I didnt even know what a controller was, but the thing looked something like a piano and I could fit it in my car, so I was happy. It sat in my home patiently watching me and waiting until I stopped working.

In the last year or so, my relationship (if you will) with the Roland has gone from sitting before it thinking it looked like an alien, toothy, alligator that was going to destroy me, to viscerally feeling it as a companion and co-conspirator in the discoveries Ive made both in music and about my musical self. Me, the Roland, and Pianoteq, on the yellow brick road.

My wife is kind of mystified by my involvement. My colleagues ask how the pianos coming along. My stock answer is that I get a little less awful every week.

Not sure I fit in with this forums group. Im not a pro musician, never will be, nor am I going to ever play in a band, gig etc.

But I enjoy your virtual company.

Thanks for listening.

Hi

Im Don. Im a retired sometimes trial lawyer whos lived in places as far flung as Rio de Janeiro and Malibu, California.

At 8 years old I played trumpet in a music lesson studio marching band in a small Midwestern town. From then till age 71, nada. While practicing law (kind of interesting, isnt it, that one practices both law and music?) I always felt guilty taking time away from preparing for the next trial, to take up an instrument again, and so, didnt.

At retirement I made a conscious decision to spend far more time with beauty and far less with mammon. Thus piano/keyboard lessons. At my age I struggle with the mechanics, but for me the love of music is a powerful mental aphrodisiac.

My wife and I go to concerts and I at home listen. Voraciously. Mostly classical piano but some contemporary composers from Silvestrov to Levingston and those in between, and, of all things, salsa from the 60s-80s, gospel and a little world music. Go figure.

A few years ago Craigslist was my source for a Roland A90-EX controller. Then I didnt even know what a controller was, but the thing looked something like a piano and I could fit it in my car, so I was happy. It sat in my home patiently watching me and waiting until I stopped working.

In the last year or so, my relationship (if you will) with the Roland has gone from sitting before it thinking it looked like an alien, toothy, alligator that was going to destroy me, to viscerally feeling it as a companion and co-conspirator in the discoveries Ive made both in music and about my musical self. Me, the Roland, and Pianoteq, on the yellow brick road.

My wife is kind of mystified by my involvement. My colleagues ask how the pianos coming along. My stock answer is that I get a little less awful every week.

Not sure I fit in with this forums group. Im not a pro musician, never will be, nor am I going to ever play in a band, gig etc.

But I enjoy your virtual company.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Don and welcome. Very inspiring story to read. And don't worry about fitting in - we're kind of like the "Land of the Misfit Toys" anyway. You'll do just fine. :wave:

Welcome, Don!

Of course you fit in with this group.

I have dabbled in a lot but in no way have all of the experience of most here, but I sure do enjoy the company.

Keys, music and the love thereof, no matter for how long or how little in linear time is what binds us together.

I just spent a few moments on my Roland E-16 a bit ago expressing my emotions on a piano patch. Quite different and mellow (melancholy) from the normal stuff I play and write. They are our companions. I actually think of them like "children" in a way. If something were to happen to one, I would grieve.

Again, welcome!

:wave::keys::)

if you want to be here then you will fit in. lot's of friendly advice here. I was using Pianoteq just last evening. Welcome.

:nopity:

By the way, I don't know if I will have a lot too post on here. Being that this forum section is on keyboards, and should be kept on that subject. Also, I don't want to start a thread, that someone else had already started. Doing a Thread search, would certainly help with that.

I'm sure I will have stuff, I want too share. I just don't know if the Keyboard corner, is the right place? I'm not going too post anything inappropriate. I just don't want to come off stupid, and wind up on the Hall of Shame Thread.

I may not be a skilled player, by any stretch of the imagination. I think I was put off, playing keyboards, because my teacher wanted me to learn the classical method, with scales and such. Which I found boring, also, I was never thrilled with the piano.

Oops! Better stop here, before I go too far.

You are fine, Paul . . . my teachers were strictly by the book which was great for learning all of the basics in my opinion; however, they never allowed any room for improvisation.

I think if you got the boring stuff down and can create music based on what you know with that and do your own thing, you have got it made.

If you think something is really off topic or might be, you can always title your thread with an "OT" in front of the title.

Besides, if it is a question, there are no stupid questions. We are all here to learn and share.

Some of the others here are more experienced at how to get search engines to give up their information on previous threads here, so they should chime in soon.

Look forward to seeing your threads soon!

:)

Well after probably about 6 years of lurking around here, I thought I should probably go ahead and become a proper member. By day I'm an administrator for an academy of music. Gigging these days is light, but when I do I play a Nord Stage 2 in a jazz trio with my SS3, Korg Kronos and VR09 for my Christian band (just getting into organ and loving it), and the church I play at has a Yamaha CP40. Blessed to play with great gear, although that doesn't keep me away from GAS (would now like a better feeling organ hehe). Love the humor here and down to earth people as well as the crazy technical stuff that is mostly over my head. I've learned alot and hope I can sometimes jump in to help others if there is something I can contribute. The keyboard community is lucky to have this place.

Hey guys,

I had lots of fun reading about everyone's introduction here. I've been here for a while and never actually took the time to do it before.

I guess I'll just do a quick version as well.

My name is Gustavo (everyone usually calls me Gus, which is easier and became a lot more popular after BreakingBad).

I am originally from Brazil, lived in the US for several years during my college days, and now I moved to Oxford/UK to study and work.

I am not a professional musician. I just really really love music and specially improvised popular music. I used to live in a town close to Kansas City, which spoiled me with really good jazz and changed my life for the better.

I actually work with programming and teaching. My main field of study is using programming to teach mathematics.

When it comes to gear, I don't know much about new stuff... My dream gear is just old acoustic pianos, old electric pianos, and old tonewheel organs.

So, yeah... nothing too interesting, but there it is.

I have learned so much from this place. Y'all are super nice guys and I really enjoy being a part of the group.

:)

Hello, Gus . . . have seen you here in the forums and always glad to get to know more about folks.

I have only ever been on my way to somewhere else (Chicago and west and back again) and have passed through Kansas City, but I know their excellent reputation for jazz.

Brazil has its own fabulous flavor of music, too.

:wave::)

Hi there... :)

I have always been lucky to live in places with great music.

Brazil has a great history and so many great influences. Heavy African rhythm appeal, lots of different cultures in one place. That helped this colorful salad that is Brazil. Unfortunately, like I always mention, I have to leave Brazil to discover good Brazilian musicians. It's like y'all get the good ones and leave us with the bad stuff. :)

I always remember how ashamed I was that an American had to introduce me to Tania Maria. I cannot believe I grew up in Brazil and in 17 years no one told me about her. Even Eliane Elias. Most of my Brazilian friends do not know her. It's amazing, I know.

I grew up in south Brazil, touching a little bit of Uruguay and Argentina. They also have great music there. Gaucho tradition, milongas, accordions, guitars, beautiful stuff.

Nice that you mentioned Chicago. That is one great city... I do miss the US.

I'm so lucky that I was able to visit and get to know all these amazing places. :)

Eliane left Brazil many years ago to come to the US to play jazz so it's not surprising she's not that well known in Brazil. I got to tour with her a bit in the 90s while she was promoting some CDs with more synth stuff she needed a second keyboardist and I was more than happy to lay back and play pads while she dazzled everybody! Deodato produced a tune on one of her CDs and both of them came to my house to show me the music. So much history and I didn't really know it then!

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I've been lurking around here for a while, and signed up so I could search for stuff. Then I thought I might as well say hi, so here I am.

I'm from Australia, if you can't tell from the accent. I'm rapidly approaching my quarter century in this world. Positively ancient and all that. Day job is electronics/software engineering.

I've apparently been playing keyboards since early high school, although I use the word playing in its broadest sense. Also ended up learning saxophone, which gives me two things to spend money on. Mostly play in church and with a concert/marching band, and occasionally do some arranging for the latter. Keeps me from getting bored.

I've enjoyed discovering all sorts of information here, and hopefully I might have something useful to contribute. Although given the calibre of the members here, that may take a while. We shall see.