Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2758503 - 02/23/16 12:49 PM Building/Placing Traps
June Audio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Hello! Due to budget I am building my own traps and panels.I was using the drawings from your site as my guide. I am ordering Owens Corning 703. My questions are:

1. Should I order thicker insulation for better absorption? If so do I build the frames bigger to maintain the same air gaps?

2. Do I put deep bass traps in the front of the room?
If so wouldn't the the plywood face on the traps cause reflections?

3. I have a general idea of where to place each type. Any tips to how to place each type?

[img:center][/img] [img][/img]

#2758897 - 02/24/16 11:45 AM Re: Building/Placing Traps [Re: June Audio]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
How big is your room? Unless it's very large, I don't recommend the wood panel bass traps in my older article from EM magazine. This is from the beginning of that article:

"Please understand that the bass traps described in this article are intended mainly for larger rooms. For rooms smaller than 25 by 15 feet you'll do better with broadband bass traps made from thick rigid fiberglass placed in the room corners, with more on the front and rear walls if possible. Small rooms have peaks and nulls at all frequencies, so broadband absorption is better than the tuned traps shown in this article. This is described in my Acoustics FAQ linked above."

So for smaller rooms I suggest bass traps made from rigid fiberglass only.

--Ethan

#2760243 - 03/01/16 10:07 AM Re: Building/Placing Traps [Re: Ethan Winer]
June Audio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Thank You! This was very helpful. A big thank you for the consultation. Now I can mix and master with confidence! To all readers I highly recommend Ethan's consultation. Thank you again! It was honor.

#2760548 - 03/02/16 09:29 AM Re: Building/Placing Traps [Re: June Audio]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Okay! thu

Moderator:  Ethan Winer