Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#2827478 - 01/11/17 10:20 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Aspen Offline

Loc: So Cal
[quote=Geoff \

chargers-expected-announce-move-san-diego-los-angeles

Geoff[/quote]

Oh great, now maybe we can make one good team out of two...doubtful. Also doubtful LA fans will support one team over the long haul, much less two.

KC Island
#2827675 - 01/12/17 02:15 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Aspen]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2827684 - 01/12/17 02:39 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
I'll copy and past what I wrote on Facebook. Difficult to talk about without getting political though. If so, feel free to notify and I'll take it down. But here's the perspective of a San Diegan:

Though it's not a matter of life and death, a lot of folks in San Diego are hurting today because of Chargexit. As only a mild Charger fan I am not horribly devastated about the loss of this football team itself, but the implications and consequences of it bum me out. A huge root of San Diego culture has been unceremoniously ripped out, and the entire tree feels the effects. A shared heritage of memories is now torched in bad faith by the organization. Beyond this, among camera men, security guards and organizational employees, a thousand or so folks are out of full time and part time jobs.

I am proud of the voters of San Diego for swatting down the unbalanced and half baked stadium Measure C in November. Over leveraging the city for a benefit of a private organization when the city has far more pressing humanitarian/infrastructure/etc needs would have been a huge disappointment. The city is not without blame for what's happened and may have fumbled a bit, but the lionshare goes to the Chargers and the NFL.

Frankly I think the NFL reached its zenith a couple years ago and is now suffering from over exposure and serious problems with domestic abuse and head injuries. I still occasionally watch but it kind of feels gross sometimes to support it– though that's just me.

It may be that history will show that San Diego was the first city to stand up to the NFL and refuse to bend over backwards to finance their private enterprise. Maybe this the beginning of the end of the era of stadiums heavily subsidized by the public. I hope so.

And it may be that the Chargers have no traction at all in LA and the team hemorrhages $$ for 5 years and the Spanos' have to sell to an owner that wants to bring them back to SD. That would be cool.

#2827685 - 01/12/17 02:49 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Bobadohshe]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
as a teenager in Baltimore City who watched the Colts sneak away in the middle of the night in the late 1970's to Indianapolis I feel your pain.

#2827699 - 01/12/17 03:59 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Regardless of their reason for doing so, the Chargers will regret moving to LA. It's already a crowded sports town.

The Chargers will not build a better fanbase than the jilted one they had San Diego. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2827714 - 01/12/17 04:56 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: ProfD]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I'm bummed, lifetime fan ...

#2827719 - 01/12/17 05:03 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace

so now the Redskins need a new offensive coordinator in addition to a new defensive coordinator. This should make Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys fans happy.

#2827721 - 01/12/17 05:09 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

so now the Redskins need a new offensive coordinator in addition to a new defensive coordinator. This should make Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys fans happy.

Why? They didn't cause any challenge with this season's coaching staff. poke

#2827777 - 01/12/17 10:56 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Markyboard]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I certainly have compassion for San Diego fans, just as I did last year for St. Louis fans when the Rams moved back here.

Personally, I was much happier about the Rams returning than I am about the Chargers coming. The Rams had a long, storied history in LA, whereas the Chargers—while having started in LA—have been a San Diego team for the vast majority of their existence.

On the other hand, the Chargers were a surrogate home team for kids growing up in LA during the period after the Rams and Raiders left. San Diego is close enough to LA for residents to make day trips to San Diego for home games; and of course, the reverse is now true for football fans in San Diego.

Regardless, it's always tough when your team pulls up stakes—as most LA fans well know. I certainly wouldn't begrudge the Chargers returning to San Diego, just as I felt it was proper for the Raiders to return to Oakland. (And just as I feel the Rams are back where they belong.)

I wish all teams were owned by their communities as the Packers are.

Best,

Geoff

#2827863 - 01/13/17 08:05 AM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
Beautifully written eulogy, Bobadohshe

The Air Coryell Chargers were part of my childhood. The couple of weeks between the upset win at Pittsburgh and the start of the Superbowl vs. the Niners were amazing in San Diego - so much joy and goodwill.

I stopped watching the Chargers after I learned how to ride a bicycle in spring of 2015. By fall 2015, I was spending Sundays riding my bike instead of watching football.

I chuckled at the new logo, but that's about the only emotional reaction I have, after missing two seasons in a row of NFL action.

#2827893 - 01/13/17 09:48 AM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: GovernorSilver]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver
I stopped watching the Chargers after I learned how to ride a bicycle in spring of 2015. By fall 2015, I was spending Sundays riding my bike instead of watching football.

D8mn Gov, I think it is a wonderful thing that you've gotten into bike riding but totally giving up football is some form of heresy. laugh

In other news...

The Rams hired a neophyte offensive coordinator to be the HC of their team.

I hope McVay is successful as HC but I think he's gonna end up like Norv Turner.

I definitely believe teams can benefit from having a younger HC who is capable of both relating to players and managing the staff.

The Broncos may have gotten it right in hiring Vance Joseph. I think someone like Kyle Shanahan would have been a better HC hire for the Rams. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2827902 - 01/13/17 10:17 AM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: ProfD]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
LA Times to Bolts: We. Don’t. Want. You.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Reverb Foundry • Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2827925 - 01/13/17 12:05 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
Coworkers teased me about the Raiders moving to SD. They also mentioned Vegas.

The latter seems more likely:
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakla...chargers-011217

#2827932 - 01/13/17 12:33 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
dB

I read they will be playing in a soccer stadium for 2 years that seats maybe 27,000. If ticket sales are bad enough maybe they will get the idea that they are not wanted.

#2827952 - 01/13/17 02:01 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
I read they will be playing in a soccer stadium for 2 years that seats maybe 27,000.

That does appear to be their plan. Half the size of Oakland's tiny stadium. eek facepalm

Quote:
If ticket sales are bad enough maybe they will get the idea that they are not wanted.

Nah. They'll hang for the KroenkeDome.

dB

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Reverb Foundry • Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2827954 - 01/13/17 02:01 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I agree with the author's premise that the Raiders would have been more welcome; but unlike the author, I know LA residents who are Chargers fans.

Best,

Geoff

#2827956 - 01/13/17 02:12 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

I know LA residents who are Chargers fans.

They're lying to you.

dB

#2827958 - 01/13/17 02:15 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

grin

Best,

Geoff

#2828045 - 01/13/17 10:59 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

#2828213 - 01/14/17 08:30 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Congrats to all our Patriots fans (and any Atlanta fans who might be lurking). Condolences to Joe and steadyb.

This will mark six straight AFC Championship appearances for New England, a conference record.

I realized tonight—while watching Matt Ryan's postgame interview—how few times I've seen Ryan without a helmet on. Despite nine years of a high level of play in this league, Ryan is less recognizable to me than rookie Dak Prescott. Have I somehow missed out on great coverage of Ryan, or does he get ignored more than he should?

Best,

Geoff

#2828289 - 01/15/17 12:01 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Thanks, Geoff. However, I harbored no illusions regarding how far the Texans would go. I'm pleased they did as well as they did. In fact, defensively, I thought they did extremely well. Offensively, they need to do better but it wasn't terrible. It seems Brock O has improved since his job was threatened a few weeks ago.

Matt who? idk

wink

#2828341 - 01/15/17 05:08 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Packers! rawk

What a catch by Jared Cook....pretty great throw by Rodgers as well.

Congrats, brother Geoff!!!

dB

#2828345 - 01/15/17 05:12 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

congrats for sure to Geoff. Condolences to my BFF brother Markyboard.
That was a 5 beer game for me. laugh Exciting to the last second. twothumbs

#2828346 - 01/15/17 05:13 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

YES!!!

Thanks for the congrats, Daves. smile

Now that was a game that lived up to the hype! Great comeback by the Cowboys. Great back to back field goals by Mason Crosby to clinch the win for the Packers! thu cool

My condolences to Mark. Dallas had a great season. Dak Prescott had perhaps the best rookie season ever by a quarterback. The Cowboys are going to be contenders for years to come.

On a personal note, the game was especially happy for me because Fox aired one of my tunes just before the end of the first half while marking the 50-year anniversary of the first Super Bowl.

This season has really surpassed my expectations. No matter what lies ahead, Green Bay has already staged an amazing turnaround after being down 4-6. I can't wait for the NFC Championship game next week!

Best,

Geoff

#2828348 - 01/15/17 05:18 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
CONGRATS GEOFF!!! On multiple counts. That was one of the best playoff games in recent history for me. I'm exhausted. I knew even with only 35 seconds left the game wasn't automatically going to overtime. DAMN!!! DAMN!!! Good stuff.

What tune of yours? Can you provide a link? That's awesome! Congrats again.

#2828349 - 01/15/17 05:18 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

actually, back to back to back as the Cowboys called a timeout before MC made the first of the 2nd field goal attempt. ICE. twothumbs

#2828358 - 01/15/17 05:35 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

[On a personal note, the game was especially happy for me because Fox aired one of my tunes just before the end of the first half while marking the 50-year anniversary of the first Super Bowl.
How cool is that? twothumbs rawk PianoBanana like

dB

#2828424 - 01/15/17 11:21 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Markyboard]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
CONGRATS GEOFF!!! On multiple counts. That was one of the best playoff games in recent history for me. I'm exhausted. I knew even with only 35 seconds left the game wasn't automatically going to overtime. DAMN!!! DAMN!!! Good stuff.

What tune of yours? Can you provide a link? That's awesome! Congrats again.

Thanks, Mark! It's a song called "The Warrior" from a library of football music I wrote and recorded back in 2004. I've uploaded it so you can have a listen, but I'll probably take it back off the web again in a week or so. Here's the temporary link:

http://www.geoffgrace.com/music/The_Warrior.mp3

On a personal note, the game was especially happy for me because Fox aired one of my tunes just before the end of the first half while marking the 50-year anniversary of the first Super Bowl.
How cool is that? twothumbs rawk PianoBanana like

Thanks, Dave! I rarely know in advance when my music is going to air, so it's always a thrill to hear it by surprise while I'm watching TV.

Best,

Geoff

#2828427 - 01/15/17 11:27 PM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

My congrats to Mike (if you're lurking) on the Steelers victory tonight.

Six field goals! If I heard the reports on TV tonight correctly, this marks the first time a team has won a playoff game without scoring a touchdown.

It must have been heartbreaking for the Chiefs to lose because of a holding penalty, but I think Pittsburgh played the better game overall.

Best,

Geoff

#2828453 - 01/16/17 05:04 AM Re: Official NFL 2016-2017 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Texans and Cowboys out this weekend. Oh well. I had hope for the 'boys but I knew the Pack was hot coming in so it would be a tough game. Turns out, that was a great game!

Funny that until Sunday, all the home teams/top seeds in the playoffs won, then both lost.

Congrats on the airing of your tune, Geoff!

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner