Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2753617 - 02/08/16 05:22 AM Room measurement...recording space
MikePope Offline

Loc: Maryland
So, I read through REW's instructions, and your room measurement primer, and I understand that when measuring my control room, or a home theater/listening room, I want to place my mic where I sit, and play REW's test sweep through my speakers. But what of my actual recording space? Where do I put what speakers, and where do I put my measurement mic? Do I put the speaker where I expect to put a source, and the mic where I expect to place a mic in order to record it?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks.

#2753633 - 02/08/16 06:21 AM Re: Room measurement...recording space [Re: MikePope]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
A recording space is different from a listening room (obviously), and so is the requirement for a flat response. There's no one place to put the speaker and microphone since there's no one place you'll put sound sources and microphones when you record. So for a recording space of a reasonable size (not a bedroom) the main metrics are RT60 and modal ringing which are more or less the same. The response will be determined more by the distance to nearby reflection surfaces.

So to measure ringing and reverb you can put the microphone and speaker at opposite ends of the room. Some people even put the speaker on the floor in one tri-corner, and the measuring microphone up high by the ceiling in the opposite tri-corner. But that's probably not really needed.

--Ethan

#2753653 - 02/08/16 07:34 AM Re: Room measurement...recording space [Re: Ethan Winer]
MikePope Offline

Loc: Maryland
Got it. Thank you!

#2753991 - 02/09/16 09:21 AM Re: Room measurement...recording space [Re: MikePope]
dboomer Offline

Loc: SoCal
Can you please post a link to the room measurement primer?

I'm assuming that you put the speaker on the floor and take a ground plan measurement with the mic? How do you compensate for the fact that the speaker will not be perfectly flat?

#2754078 - 02/09/16 01:09 PM Re: Room measurement...recording space [Re: dboomer]
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's in the READ THIS FIRST sticky post. Here it is again:

Room Measuring Primer

Put the speaker on the floor in a tri-corner facing out into the room, then put the mic on a stand high up across the room, or catty-corner by the ceiling. It doesn't matter how flat the speaker is, all rooms are literally 50 times worse. grin

--Ethan

#2754120 - 02/09/16 03:00 PM Re: Room measurement...recording space [Re: Ethan Winer]
dboomer Offline

Loc: SoCal
So that sounds like I'm looking to place the speaker and mic on opposite ends of the single longest dimension. Is that correct?

I've been a Smaart user for over 15 years but that has always been in a live sound context in much, much bigger rooms.

#2754299 - 02/10/16 10:46 AM Re: Room measurement...recording space [Re: dboomer]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Without knowing anything about your room it's difficult to tell you exactly what to do. But if you want to get a sense of reverb time, you need the microphone and speaker to not be very close.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer