Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2816633 - 11/21/16 03:39 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: AnotherScott]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Saw them last night in Phoenix, from the second row. These guys are Yes, Jon sounds great, Wakeman still has it, and Rabin did a great job on the guitar parts- I didn't miss Howe at all. They played with a lot of energy, and seemed very into it. Did the VIP thing including the soundcheck and meet/greet, it was worth it. I am still recovering from last night and working all day, will go into more detail later. Wakeman had a pair of vintage Moogs, and I did get to speak to him very briefly about his thoughts on the Voyager, and whether he had checked out the Model D reissues.

KC Island
#2816672 - 11/21/16 10:03 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Marzzz]
Iconclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I was at the same show in Phoenix. I thought the performance was excellent.

The sound man on the other hand. For the first 3rd of the show you heard a hint of guitar and basically no keys. Then he discovered the guitar and later discovered the keys. For the last 3rd of the show I thought it sounded good.

The vocals were fantastic throughout. Really the highlight how well those guys sing and how they did all the intricacies. Beautiful.

I won't get into a Rabin v Howe argument. Howe's playing is so unique that for better or worse you can't replace him. I love Rabin's playing for completely different reasons. Some video's of early in the tour were pretty rough but I thought he was on pointe for the evening. Love love love Rabin's command of tone. (Axe Fx Ultra II is all he was using as far as I could tell).

Once the sound guy found the keyboard fader,I have to say that I thought Wakeman's playing was flawless. Really nailed everything. Whether you like his style or not, he executed perfectly.

Great night in one of the best theaters in the US. Celebrity Theater in Phoenix. No seat more than 75ft from the stage. Although the stage at Celebrity is set up in the round, for ARW they were set up for 2/3rds seating and no rotation on the stage.

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff
...and a pickup truck to haul it all

#2816818 - 11/22/16 01:24 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Iconclast]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Just got back from Las Vegas 3 hours ago (I've now been up for 30 hours straight - long story), and the show at the Pearl Theater at the Palms was fantastic. My phone doesn't take the best photos, but here's one:

I had incredible seats: 3rd row, on the floor, directly in front of Anderson. Sitting right in front of me was John Tesh (that's his hair, on the left. wink ). We talked at the end of the show and we agreed that Rick's keyboards were not loud enough. Rabin was very loud. The only thing negative about the seat was that I couldn't see Rick's hands at all.

He was using:

2 Kronos
JD800
Memotron
Fantom 8
2 Minimoogs
Gem (the one with the motorized faders, Tesh said - I didn't get the model)
Yamaha Montage 7
Hammond (again, I didn't see the model)

Here's a pretty good youtube, video-wise:

A fantastic show, and Anderson is amazing. His voice sounds barely different than 40 years ago.

The previous night I saw Gino Vannelli again - really good and a top notch band. The venue wasn't so hot, though. Basically a big conference/banquet room with a stage. Big crowd though. And that voice... simply the best.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2816820 - 11/22/16 01:45 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Synthaholic]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
I had the same gripe at the two shows I went to last month - it wasn't your seat, nobody in the audience has a view of Rick's hands playing. That sucked! at best I could kind of see his knuckles over the keyboards in some spots. They should have positioned him and his rig differently or better yet, had a camera behind him and a screen somewhere on stage you could see his performance on, at least at some points.

#2816838 - 11/22/16 03:22 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Marzzz]
Shutoku Offline
Gold Member

Loc: BC Canada
Originally Posted By: Marzzz
Saw them last night in Phoenix, from the second row. These guys are Yes, Jon sounds great, Wakeman still has it, and Rabin did a great job on the guitar parts- I didn't miss Howe at all. They played with a lot of energy, and seemed very into it. Did the VIP thing including the soundcheck and meet/greet, it was worth it. I am still recovering from last night and working all day, will go into more detail later. Wakeman had a pair of vintage Moogs, and I did get to speak to him very briefly about his thoughts on the Voyager, and whether he had checked out the Model D reissues.

I'd be very interested to hear what he had to say about the Moogs.

I'm very envious of you all for getting to see this show.
Regarding the mix for keyboards, it seems to be a common refrain from every show. You would think they would figure it out!

Regarding seeing his hands...this is where I think it was better in the old days when his rig was turned around in a U with the opening facing the audience.
Rick isn't a sex symbol. Fans are much more interested in his hands and the array of keyboards than his face with eyes closed, and the back end of a bunch of keyboards. It is the only area I think Geoff Downes is doing better with Yes.

I was lucky...the last time I saw him perform was the Union tour with a rotating stage, and I was in the second row or so, so I got many great views of the rig and his playing.

#2816924 - 11/23/16 12:04 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Shutoku]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Well, that was fun...

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH TK Audio Electronic Musician

#2816949 - 11/23/16 05:48 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Dave Bryce]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
2nd row?
3rd row?
75 feet from stage?
VIP pass?

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce

dB

dB FTW! twothumbs PianoBanana

Curious, was there any Indian food served up on stage? snax

#2816951 - 11/23/16 05:53 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Markyboard]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
2nd row?
3rd row?
75 feet from stage?
VIP pass?

I already had tix before I landed the interview, and the show was sold out...so steadyb and I just sat in the seats I had already bought. We did get passes to the meet and greet afterwards....

dB

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH TK Audio Electronic Musician

#2816952 - 11/23/16 05:54 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Iconclast]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Iconclast
I was at the same show in Phoenix. I thought the performance was excellent.

Love love love Rabin's command of tone. (Axe Fx Ultra II is all he was using as far as I could tell).

Once the sound guy found the keyboard fader,I have to say that I thought Wakeman's playing was flawless. Really nailed everything. Whether you like his style or not, he executed perfectly.

I was sitting in the second row, near the keyboards. From where I was sitting I could hear the guitar pretty well, maybe I was hearing the monitors? Rabin was using a Kemper Modeler, they had two of them set up (one for the bass, I presume)- I love those things. Wakeman still can play! Had a brief chat with him at M&G, he hasn't tried the Minimoog reissues yet; he's skeptical based on his experience with the Voyagers.

#2816958 - 11/23/16 06:08 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Dave Bryce]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Oh Rick... get that Montage outta there. roll

#2816974 - 11/23/16 06:56 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Synthoid]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Nice Dave... seeing them next Friday in Anaheim.

#2816988 - 11/23/16 07:41 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: HammondDave]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was actually citing others who posted regarding their good fortune at this concert. But it sounds (and looks) like you, Byron and Marshall had the ultimate experience with the meet and greet. Totally jealous.
I'm finishing up his first "Grumpy Old Rockstars" and then will go immediately into "Further Adventures...". Based on what I've read so far Rick would be my first choice of "heroes" to hang with - especially if drinking were involved.

#2817011 - 11/23/16 08:35 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: HammondDave]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

By the way, Dave... Love the General Buck Turgidson GIF!

#2817013 - 11/23/16 08:39 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: HammondDave]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Great pics of Rick's rig!

#2817019 - 11/23/16 08:56 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Markyboard]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
I was at the 11/04 New Buffalo, MI show. It was the first time I'd see any version of Yes, live. Have been a big fan of Rick Wakeman since 1975 - when I first heard "Myths and Legends....".
ARW put on a fantastic show. The rhythm section did a great job; they had a lot of intense territory to cover, but did it well. Jon Anderson still has it; and Rick continues his wizardry behind a Stonehenge of keyboards and racks. Not surprised that a pair of Kroni anchor the rig; and while those shook the walls more than a couple of times, it was the Minimoogs that started the floors to levitate. Raised my GAS level significantly for a Mini....

Big thanks to Scott May, at Hammond, for the backstage pass. Oddly enough, Rick, Scott and I only talked music briefly. My wife and I had driven in from the Cubs World Series parade / rally, and Rick noticed my shirt right away. So we talked baseball instead. Turns out he's a huge Cubs' fan - since 1985; mentioned something about being enamored with the 'underdog' at the time....

#2817034 - 11/23/16 09:33 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: allan_evett]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: allan_evett
Turns out he's a huge Cubs' fan - since 1985; mentioned something about being enamored with the 'underdog' at the time....

Very cool to know that, Allan! He wore a Cubs shirt under his cape at the Chicago show on the following night, but I thought he was just "going with the flow"...the city was still somewhat buzzing from the parade the day before, and the WS victory, in general.

#2817050 - 11/23/16 10:17 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Moonglow]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I am really looking forward to the choreography.

#2817078 - 11/23/16 11:31 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Mighty Ferguson
-The previously mentioned question about what's in the current rig, how he's got it all set up, etc.

You saw the pics. From left to right, alternating from bottom to top: Memotron, JD-800, Mini, SK1, Fantom F8, Montage, Kronos, Mini, V-Synth, other Kronos. In the rack behind him: X5DR, Motif Rack, Fantom rack, Triton rack.

There's an old Sycologic 16 x 16 MIDI switcher in the rack that runs the whole rig. You can see the box that controls it on top of the Fantom.

The whole rig is mixed to a QU32 mixer with effects on board. The Sycologic send it scene change messages.

There is no computer in the rig. The only pedals are sustain pedals.

He uses EV 12" two ways with a pair of 18" subs. Says he would never even consider IEMs.

Quote:
-How he approached their plan to modernize Yes music... e.g. What made him stick with a classic sound for a particular part vs looking for a newer sound?

In general, he said he left signature sounds alone (both for his and Tony Kaye's parts). There really didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason regarding when he played the parts as expected with the sound that was expected, and when the sound that was expected was replaced by a (usually much bigger) sound, or a new part was added. I got the idea that more than a few of the stacked parts came from the fact that they have all those cool toys, so they use them.

I asked him particularly about his approach to the Tony Kaye stuff. He said that Tony was primarily an organ player - he'd had really never done anything other than Hammond on the older stuff - and said that with the exception of the signature parts (e.g. orchestra hits on Owner), he approached the Kaye songs as if they were his, and just did what he would normally do regarless of what Tony played.

Quote:
Was he trying to bring a cohesiveness across the 70's tunes and the 80's tunes (because it kind of sounded like he was)?

I think the gear in his rig combined with the way he and Erik seem to like to stack their sounds was more responsible for that.

They made a point of saying that - with the obvious exception of the Minis - Rick is rarely playing whatever keyboard he's actually touching. It's quite frequently combinations of the different instruments being triggered.

Rick says most of his sounds are either stock factory presets, or tweaked presets.

Quote:
Were they intending to raise the energy level of the music, or did that just come through their playing it live together (because there was a lot of energy in the performance)?

Both steadyb and I noticed the higher energy.

Our take on that is that it was the drummer who was really the most responsible for the noticeably higher level of energy. We figure we all got so used to Alan White, etc.

Trevor Rabin's 14 year old son Ryan came out last night and player Owner with them. He nailed it, of course

Quote:
-Can he talk about some of the new music they're working on? How are they collaborating, are they writing together or separately? Sending tracks back and forth online?

Did not have time to ask him that.

As has been noted by others, Rick is quite amiable and talkative. We were there speaking with him for almost an hour, and a decent amount of it was just spent chatting. After a while, I noticed the stage manager and a few of the other guys looking at us nervously - they had a bunch of VIPs waiting on a sound check as part of their package - so, we moved into the rig and did the tour, which lasted about another 20 minutes or so.

I had so many questions, I could have stayed for another hour.

FWIW, they're all a bit under the weather. Both Rick and Jon are getting over colds, and Trevor did the show last night after having been diagnosed with pneumonia.

dB

#2817082 - 11/23/16 11:37 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Shutoku]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Originally Posted By: Shutoku
Regarding seeing his hands...this is where I think it was better in the old days when his rig was turned around in a U with the opening facing the audience.
Rick isn't a sex symbol. Fans are much more interested in his hands and the array of keyboards than his face with eyes closed, and the back end of a bunch of keyboards. It is the only area I think Geoff Downes is doing better with Yes.

I get the impression from his twitter feed that he's very self-conscious about his weight, and it bugs him. So that might account for the setup. When he came out front with the Keytar he never faced forward, as you can see from the video I posted. He stayed sideways where his cape covered him up.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2817100 - 11/23/16 12:30 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Synthaholic]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Awesome Dave, thanks so much!

#2817292 - 11/24/16 02:01 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Synthaholic]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
I get the impression from his twitter feed that he's very self-conscious about his weight, and it bugs him. So that might account for the setup. When he came out front with the Keytar he never faced forward, as you can see from the video I posted. He stayed sideways where his cape covered him up.

I have seen videos of his setup going all the way back to the mid-eighties, and it was similar to his current setup. He is a big gentleman, but I didn't feel he needed to be self-conscious regarding his weight. But FWIW, at the show I attended he appeared to be wearing a set of dark blue surgical scrubs underneath his cape.

Regarding the Voyager, he was disappointed in its sound vs the original minimoogs; I told him the reissues sounded great, he said something along the lines of "I'll believe it when I see it!"

#2817293 - 11/24/16 02:05 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Marzzz]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Look, anyone playing a Keytar is welcoming ridicule. But Rick looks fine, especially behind that massive keyboard setup.

And really, how much of his hands can you really see anyway?

#2817326 - 11/24/16 07:58 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Marzzz]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Regarding the Voyager, he was disappointed in its sound vs the original minimoogs; I told him the reissues sounded great, he said something along the lines of "I'll believe it when I see it!"

Both Minimoogs in his current rig are reissues. Telltale black rocker switches under glide and modulation mix knobs.

#2817351 - 11/25/16 01:23 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: The Real MC]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Both Minimoogs in his current rig are reissues. Telltale black rocker switches under glide and modulation mix knobs.

I will beg to differ. One of them has clear wheels, neither has the LFO knob next to the wheels. Both look extremely well-worn. Rick specifically told me he hadn't played the reissues yet.

#2817353 - 11/25/16 02:17 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: The Real MC]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't think so. Maybe the rocker switches are reissues idea

Also look at the back panel.

#2817378 - 11/25/16 07:23 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Markyboard]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: Markyboard

I don't think so. Maybe the rocker switches are reissues idea

Also look at the back panel.

After closer inspection, they are not the reissues.

The telltale sign is the pointed "diving board" shape of the tips of the Pratt-Read keysets on the originals. Since PR ceased to exist since the 90s, reissues use Fatar keys which aren't the same pointed shape on the tips.

There ARE controls under those knobs that are not on the originals.

Did I tell you I'm an expert trainspotter of vintage gear...?!?

#2817379 - 11/25/16 07:34 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: The Real MC]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Did I tell you I'm an expert trainspotter of vintage gear...?!?

laugh twothumbs

Btw may just be coincidence but the only spare NOS rocker switches I've been able to find are the black capped ones.

#2817475 - 11/25/16 03:04 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Marzzz]
Iconclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Rabin was using a Kemper Modeler, they had two of them set up (one for the bass, I presume)-

Well, while we're gear-spotting: Both the Kempers were for the bass player.

Trevors rig, which I got some pretty good pics of, was pretty simple. Line 6 wireless to an AxeFx Ultra. He had 2 of each in his rack which was just offstage where the guitar tech was. He also used a pair of 2x12 Mission Engineering cabinets on stage of a type that I'm not familiar with nor have I ever seen before. I don't think the cabs were mic'ed. He had 4 guitars in his rack but I think he only played 3. One was the old Line6 vx acoustic and another was his hold multi-colored strat that he played on the 90125 tour. The 3rd is a custom made guitar with a locking nut that he's played for a long time also. His footboard wasn't the fractal model, it was something else. 3 EBMM volume pedals controlling various functions too.

(how do you insert pics on this page again?)

Edited by Iconclast (11/25/16 03:05 PM)

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff
...and a pickup truck to haul it all

#2817536 - 11/26/16 02:26 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Iconclast]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Iconclast

Rabin was using a Kemper Modeler, they had two of them set up (one for the bass, I presume)-

Well, while we're gear-spotting: Both the Kempers were for the bass player.

Well, that would make sense, as both Kempers were back by the bass player. I couldn't see him at all from where I was sitting.

Quote:
Trevors rig, which I got some pretty good pics of, was pretty simple. Line 6 wireless to an AxeFx Ultra. He had 2 of each in his rack which was just offstage where the guitar tech was. He also used a pair of 2x12 Mission Engineering cabinets on stage of a type that I'm not familiar with nor have I ever seen before. I don't think the cabs were mic'ed. He had 4 guitars in his rack but I think he only played 3. One was the old Line6 vx acoustic and another was his hold multi-colored strat that he played on the 90125 tour. The 3rd is a custom made guitar with a locking nut that he's played for a long time also. His footboard wasn't the fractal model, it was something else. 3 EBMM volume pedals controlling various functions.

He had a headless guitar (not Steinberger) which he didn't use during the show I saw. I couldn't see the rest of his rig, but the AxeFx makes sense given the kinds of tones he was getting.

#2817575 - 11/26/16 09:15 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Marzzz]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My old Minimoog had those clear wheels as well. We're they only available for a few years? I never liked those white wheels with the teeth.

You can also tell from the photos that the keys are not perfectly level as a new keyboard would be. Old minis are notorious for having key leveling issues.

Edited by HammondDave (11/26/16 09:19 AM)

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner