Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2810749 - 10/23/16 09:46 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Shutoku]
StickMan393 Offline

The O1/W proX is only ~21 years old, not 30. For the record.

KC Island
#2810930 - 10/24/16 05:27 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: StickMan393]
dje31 Offline

"Changes" finally made it into the set list Saturday night, 2016.10.22, in NY!

#2811395 - 10/26/16 06:21 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
dje31 Offline

Okay, admittedly, I'm a prog-rock nerd, especially if Yes and its iterations are involved...maybe I should take this to a Yes-specific forum.

Anyway, from the set list website, they're doing a shortened version of "And You and I" now...ditto for "Roundabout," presumably to make room for "Changes" and "Lift Me Up."

Still looking forward to "Endless Dream," or others from Talk.

Here's a thought: if they want to bring in more Rabin material, especially a long piece, I remember reading that side 2 of Big Generator was written as one contiguous piece, but not in the order on the album. I had a magazine article that stated the intended order, but I think I might have chucked it years ago like a dope.

If anyone recalls the order, I'd love to have that info.

Anyway, as much as I love "Awaken," that would be an interesting set list change, never done before. While they're at it, nix "Rhythm of Love."

You want to put asses in the seats and get buzz? There you go.

I also think they should do a first-half / intermission / second-half approach. Good for the band, good for the audience, good for the drink vendors ( and many bladders ) .

Now, where do I send my invoice for consulting services?

Edited by dje31 (10/27/16 05:50 AM)

#2811519 - 10/27/16 07:35 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
AnotherScott Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Awaken. That middle section is interminable. It's the only part of the show that bored me. If they're looking for a place to cut...

Some day I'd like to hear Miracle of Life and Silent Talking from the Union album.

#2811527 - 10/27/16 07:53 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: dje31
"Changes" finally made it into the set list Saturday night, 2016.10.22, in NY!

A definite classic and one of my faves. thu

#2812341 - 10/30/16 02:12 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Synthoid]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
I just got word from Gino - my interview with Rick is confirmed next month when he's in LA for the ARW show. smile cool

I say the following with only a bit of pun intended:

Yesssssss........ w00t boing

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Keyboard Magazine Kush Audio TK Audio

#2812342 - 10/30/16 02:18 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Dave Bryce]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Awesome Dave. I hope you're able to do a deep dive on his current rig. I'd love to hear how he approached the 90125 era material as well. Hearing some of those songs with Minimoog runs thrown in here and there was just so cool.

#2812344 - 10/30/16 02:32 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Mighty Ferguson
Awesome Dave. I hope you're able to do a deep dive on his current rig. I'd love to hear how he approached the 90125 era material as well. Hearing some of those songs with Minimoog runs thrown in here and there was just so cool.

Dude... it was your suggestion that got me to chase the interview. I'll find a way to work your questions in. thu

I'm a huge Wakeman fan, and have been since the early 70's...I have questions I've wanted to ask the brother for years.

dB

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Keyboard Magazine Kush Audio TK Audio

#2812374 - 10/30/16 05:51 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Dave Bryce]
dje31 Offline

Seize the moment, and drink it all in deeply...oh yeah, share it all with us, ex post facto!

Edited by dje31 (10/30/16 05:52 PM)

#2812381 - 10/30/16 07:13 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Congrats, Dave, and we are all looking forward to it! thu

#2812384 - 10/30/16 07:41 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Joe Muscara]
b3keys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Finleyville,PA,UNITED STATES
Just got in from the Pittsburgh show. Fantastic show! The band was incredibly tight, and any early missteps have been corrected. Nice blend of old/new Yes. Awaken was masterful. Rabin nailed the vocals on Changes, although his voice isn't as strong as it was in the 80s/90s. He is an amazing guitarist.

Anderson IS the voice of Yes, and he was in fine form.

Wakeman was incredible! This was my first time seeing Rick. I have seen Yes with Tony Kaye and Geoff Downes previously, but Wakeman is on another level.

Go see this show!

#2812468 - 10/31/16 09:23 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Dave Bryce]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Originally Posted By: Grave Bryce
Originally Posted By: Mighty Ferguson

Dude... it was your suggestion that got me to chase the interview. I'll find a way to work your questions in. thu

I'm a huge Wakeman fan, and have been since the early 70's...I have questions I've wanted to ask the brother for years.

dB

Thanks man, you certainly don't have to. I'll put a few questions here that have crossed my mind, and I'll leave it up to you as the interviewer if you think they're good questions:

-The previously mentioned question about what's in the current rig, how he's got it all set up, etc.

-How he approached their plan to modernize Yes music... e.g. What made him stick with a classic sound for a particular part vs looking for a newer sound? Was he trying to bring a cohesiveness across the 70's tunes and the 80's tunes (because it kind of sounded like he was)? Were they intending to raise the energy level of the music, or did that just come through their playing it live together (because there was a lot of energy in the performance)?

-Can he talk about some of the new music they're working on? How are they collaborating, are they writing together or separately? Sending tracks back and forth online?

#2813212 - 11/02/16 08:48 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I saw the show at the Beacon Theater in NYC last night. Unfortunately the sound wasn't good -- it was very muddy. Couldn't hear the keyboards well until about halfway through. Jon Anderson was in terrific form; he sounded great. Trevor Rabin was awesome: both guitar and vocals. Strictly personal preference, and not a knock on Trevor, but I prefer Steve Howe. Rick played well. He's great but, for me, it didn't have the magic I experienced seeing him back in the 70's when I was a teenager. I miss the C3 and acoustic piano but at least the MiniMoogs were there. Some of the modern synth sounds were beautiful. He played a keytar solo with his back to the audience most of the time which kind of defeated the purpose. Having said all of that, I'm glad I went. Great musicians playing great music in a great venue!

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Electro 4D, AX Synth, NP11, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, (2) RCF TT08A

#2813331 - 11/03/16 11:25 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Al Quinn]
ScottKahn Offline

Loc: Wyckoff, NJ
I saw the show at the Beacon this week, too. Thought it was great, but agree that the sound could have been a little more clear.

Loved reading part of my interview with Trevor at the start of this thread (I'm 90% sure it was from my interview). Here's the full Trevor Rabin interview, which is enjoyable for Yes fans that play keyboards :-). We spoke a lot about the Union tour. For those wondering, that's when Trevor and Rick first met, and became great friends.

http://musicplayers.com/features/guitars/2012/1012_TrevorRabin.php

The drummer, Lou Molina, played on Trevor's solo CD, Can't Look Away, and ever since, he has been Trevor's go-to drummer for his Hollywood movie scoring work. The whole band played very well, and the energy on stage was undeniable -- these guys all truly had FUN playing together, even having a crazy, goofy jam at the end running around the drum kit, etc... nothing like the sleepy vibe I got from previous Yes shows in the past decade.

The big surprise was just how strongly Jon Anderson was singing... I don't recall hearing him sound so good in 20 years!

KEYS: From my side of the stage, we had a Korg Kronos above the Roland V-Synth GT, a Kronos X atop Yamaha Montage, Minimoog in between them. Couldn't see the other keyboard stand, which had another Moog synth near it.

I have another feature coming out soon with Trevor, talking about this tour. He hinted about it back in the other interview, so it was great seeing it finally happen.

Scott

MusicianFinder.com GET YOUR JAM ON
http://www.musicianfinder.com

#2813413 - 11/03/16 08:28 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: ScottKahn]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Scott, do you know what Rick was using for his stage amplification? I saw two decent sizes speaker cabinets at about ear level.

I thought it was funny that the talk in the men's room was all about how amazing Jon Anderson sounded! He touched so many with his beautiful sound and extraordinary musicality. Plus he gives off such a positive vibe.

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Electro 4D, AX Synth, NP11, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, (2) RCF TT08A

#2813602 - 11/04/16 04:23 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Al Quinn]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Al Quinn
Scott, do you know what Rick was using for his stage amplification? I saw two decent sizes speaker cabinets at about ear level.

I thought it was funny that the talk in the men's room was all about how amazing Jon Anderson sounded! He touched so many with his beautiful sound and extraordinary musicality. Plus he gives off such a positive vibe.

Yes fans talk to each other in the men's room?

#2813652 - 11/04/16 10:54 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: hurricane hugo]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Just saw them tonight in New Buffalo, MI. Great show, as many have already noted. I really liked how some things got a makeover (Awaken and intro to Roundabout). I could've done without the keytar and the waltz thru the audience by Wakeman and Rabin, both playing gibberish the entire time.... but, it is a show. Anderson was amazing. Drummer and bassist did great and they all appeared to love every minute of the show. I did hear Wakeman make a huge clunker during Changes. Big loud power chord a half step sharp. He looked at his hands with a "oh sh*t" look and then corrected. Was nice to see he's actually human. laugh

#2813676 - 11/05/16 06:01 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: hurricane hugo]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo
Originally Posted By: Al Quinn
Yes fans talk to each other in the men's room?

Yeah, it was an unusual and surprising experience. They were so enthusiast about Anderson's singing most of them were discussing it while waiting on line. Most were in their 50's or 60's (or they probably could have made it through the show without having to go smile )

#2813935 - 11/06/16 10:10 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: MorayM]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Just scored 11th row center tix for The Grove at Anaheim show. Psyched!

#2814016 - 11/06/16 04:49 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: HammondDave]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Just saw ARW last night at the Chicago Theater. Great to hear the band (never heard Wakeman before) and even greater to hang pre/post show with brother Tonysounds, who came home for an extended weekend visit. I was always more of an Emerson/ELP vs. Wakeman/Yes guy and not familiar with Yes' extended catalog, but really enjoyed this concert. World class experience all the way around.

#2814070 - 11/06/16 10:37 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Moonglow]
Shutoku Offline
Gold Member

Loc: BC Canada
Really looking forward to reading the interview.
I so deeply wish they were doing Vancouver. I've heard rumblings of a return to North America after a European tour, so fingers crossed.

I mean honestly for me seeing Anderson and Wakeman is like seeing the Beatles. I actually cried like a baby during "Awaken" on the Union tour years ago.
Those two musicians have had an incredible influence on my life.

#2814166 - 11/07/16 09:03 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Shutoku]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
First, SUPER GLAD that I went to this show, which entailed paying/flying to Chicago, rental car, ticx, etc. So even after all that expense, completely happy!

Jon Anderson is in EXCELLENT voice! I've seen these guys now 38 times (I count Saturday's ARW as a Yes show). I've seen every permutation of the band since 77, except for non-jon lineups. I'm normally not so precious about it, but I just did/do not want to hear someone NOT do it right, so rather than be disappointed, I stay home. Jon....truly killed it, he's amazing.

The rhythm section is sick. I don't know who I respect and congratulate more: the drummer had the unenviable task of not only trying to cover Bruford, but had to take an "unattached" drum solo 20 minutes into the show. (eye roll) But he made it not only fun and engaging (by making the audience part of the solo) but musically cool. But the bassist....I'll put it this way: he did a looper version of The Fish that should have been blasphemy if not at least sacrilegious, but instead was respectful while still allowing he himself to be musical. OUT-fn-STANDING!

Rick....who isn't happy to see Rick? Like McGoo said, the reworking of Awaken was nice (reworking=taking the overture from the middle, sticking in as an intro, and then revisiting the overture in the middle). But even longer than usual! LOL

Rick has an Sk1 up there! But hes playing the (roland I'm guessing) organ patch with ridiculous percussion that triggers on every note on Roundabout, even for the solo. frown

The keytar/wireless parade was unnecessary.

I love Trevor, but any guitarist is screwed when they try to do the Steve Howe thing. But if you saw Yes during 90125 thru Union eras, you know how he handles it. He sounds fantastic on his own material, and his voice is great!

A couple moments seem under-rehearsed, but they are more than compensated for by the overall musical presentation.

Like I said....Ive seen them so many times, my criticisms are minor at best, and didn't detract from the show. VERY VERY glad I went, and to catch up with Moonglow was great.

One thing I have to mention: Rick has this great gear up there, but whenever he grabs that Mini.....>BAM!!!! The sheer power of THAT sound really shows how modern gear doesn't have the same GIRTH.

#2814268 - 11/07/16 03:48 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Tonysounds]
ScottKahn Offline

Loc: Wyckoff, NJ
didn't really pay attention to his monitoring -- just seemed like pretty generic PA cabinets. Can't believe he hasn't switched to in-ears like the other guys in the band.

tomorrow night is Marillion at the PlayStation Theater in NYC. Tis the season to love melodic prog rock!!! :-)

MusicianFinder.com GET YOUR JAM ON
http://www.musicianfinder.com

#2814338 - 11/08/16 05:01 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: ScottKahn]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ScottKahn
didn't really pay attention to his monitoring

I assume his monitoring is part of the supplied backline.

When I saw them, the sound system was from these guys...

http://www.clairbrothers.com

On a related note, the front fill speakers (on the floor of the stage, facing the audience) were these...

http://www.clairbrothers.com/products/full-range/ff2-h

very small, and sounded phenomenal.

#2814341 - 11/08/16 05:17 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: AnotherScott]
joegerardi Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Really? Clair Bros has been reinforcing Yes since the '70's. Cool to see them still working with Clair.

Perhaps dB will bring that up during the interview- you don't see many 40-year band/sound partnerships that last that long.

..Joe

#2814348 - 11/08/16 06:01 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: joegerardi]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Does anyone know if any of the shows on this tour are being filmed/recorded? This is one I'd love to be able to watch from time to time (at better quality than what's made it to YouTube).

#2814383 - 11/08/16 07:36 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: joegerardi]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
Originally Posted By: joegerardi
Really? Clair Bros has been reinforcing Yes since the '70's. Cool to see them still working with Clair.

Perhaps dB will bring that up during the interview- you don't see many 40-year band/sound partnerships that last that long.

..Joe

Damn,- where have I watched that interview/vid where he had set up all for that tour in his garage ?

IF that was Clair (I aksed myself what it is too), I think that were a pair of R2D-III

A.C.

#2814677 - 11/09/16 07:12 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Al Coda]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I heard that Wakeman is using a VR-09... those MiniMoogs are just facades.

#2816576 - 11/21/16 08:58 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: HammondDave]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Okay, guys - show in LA is tomorrow night. cool

If anybody else has any questions you'd like me to ask Rick, lemme know. Can't promise I'll get to them, but I'll certainly try. thu

I do want to keep as much of the interview as relevant to the tour as possible. Will certainly be covering things like brother Ferguson touched on, such as the process of choosing the tunes they did, updating the classic sounds with new sounds, changing arrangements, etc. I wanna talk to him about his part in the original songwriting/arrangement process of the tunes, and hope to try and get a few inside stories out of him as well. I'm definitely intetested in hearing his impressions of working with Trevor as opposed to Steve.

Outside the tour, I'm really curious what music he listens to these days for pleasure as well as inspiration, and I've always wanted to know which keyboard players he admires/emulates (since he's the answer for so many of us, I'm interested to hear his response). I'd like to touch on other projects he's involved in/preparing for, of course.

I would also really like to do a full video tour of the rig. smile

boing w00t

dB

#2816584 - 11/21/16 09:27 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Dave Bryce]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Since this is the first time he's played with Rabin since the Union tour, and since he was unhappy with the Union album (at least in part) because some of his parts were substantially altered or replaced with those of other players (and in general the production was someone else's vision and not Yes' own), I wonder if ARW might revisit some more of that material, and we could hear it as he thought it should have been done. Next time they come around, I'd love to hear Miracle of Life and Silent Talking...

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner