Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2752308 - 02/02/16 01:48 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: JerryA]
TommyS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
I know it's blasphemy but I totally love Big Generator. There! I've confessed!!

KC Island
#2752330 - 02/02/16 02:36 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: TommyS]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: TommyS

right there with ya, brother. I've even come around on "Final Eyes," which I disliked for a couple of decades or so.

#2752342 - 02/02/16 03:01 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: hurricane hugo]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo

right there with ya, brother. I've even come around on "Final Eyes," which I disliked for a couple of decades or so.

I should ban you both. hitt facepalm grin

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Roswell Pro Audio TK Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2752346 - 02/02/16 03:14 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: JerryA]
TommyS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
My penance is hours and hours of listening to the Poly 800 harpsichord patch...

#2752347 - 02/02/16 03:16 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: TommyS]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
My penance is hours and hours of listening to the Poly 800 harpsichord patch...

That seems a tad excessive... idk

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Roswell Pro Audio TK Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2752356 - 02/02/16 03:45 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Dave Bryce]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Now I'm definitely going to have to order this:

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2752432 - 02/03/16 02:26 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Synthaholic]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Originally Posted By: Synthaholic

Do it. It's cape-wettingly hilarious and occasionally touching, particularly about how he and Jon became such close friends after his first heart attack.

Me too blush

#2752443 - 02/03/16 04:36 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: MorayM]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Absolutely. The story about the trumpet player, the high note, and the white satin jumpsuit alone is worth the price of the tome.

..Joe

#2752642 - 02/04/16 03:14 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: joegerardi]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hilarious book! The second volume is great, too. Wakeman is a superb raconteur!

#2753011 - 02/05/16 10:17 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Synthaholic]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic

Thanks for this. Just picked it up for Kindle.

#2753077 - 02/05/16 01:53 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: RABid]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I will have to check that book out (literally? OMG, a double pun!) facepalm

He also seems to have written a sequel:

#2753136 - 02/05/16 04:42 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Marzzz]
Shutoku Offline
Gold Member

Loc: BC Canada
Yes both Grumpy Old Rock Star books are awesome! He is a funny guy!

I've also read "Say Yes" which he wrote several years earlier. It is a much more serious book, though many of the same stories are in both, he goes into more detail in areas like his marriages and religion. He was much more broke at times...even homeless, than most of us would imagine.

I definitely preferred the Grumpy books though.

#2807646 - 10/04/16 10:04 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Shutoku]
dje31 Online   content

So, tonight is the tour kickoff show in Mickey Town at House of Blues. Really psyched!

Will keep track of the set list...not sure if they'll mix it up night-by-night, but willing to share the list if anyone's interested. Don't want to be a spoiler.

Cheers!

Edited by dje31 (10/04/16 10:05 AM)

#2807650 - 10/04/16 11:34 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Spoil us, definitely!

#2807651 - 10/04/16 11:38 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Marzzz]
dje31 Online   content

Well, I've seen headlines online with links for setlists, but I've not looked myself, so I get wanting to be surprised. Maybe I'll use one of those hide-post functions.

#2807654 - 10/04/16 11:46 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
I have two different policies - if I'm seeing a band or artist where I am pretty much familiar with all their stuff, then I don't want the set lists spoiled at all, would much rather be surprised. If it's one that I'm a more casual fan of or just only know half their albums or whatever, then I do like seeing previous set lists and I'll "prep" for the show a bit by listening to the stuff they're doing that I don't otherwise know (just coz like many people, I'm generally most engaged with the music at a performance, enjoying it and appreciating it the most, when I'm familiar with the material). Definitely curious about the ARW list, I've seen in interviews where they'll be doing some material off the "Talk" album which I don't really know (it's one of my girlfriend's top favorites though!), and with material as intricate and ambitious as Yes, I probably won't have time to familiarize myself with the whole album before the show I'm going to on on 10/22, so if you can narrow it down to a couple tracks I should hunt down on Spotify and give a couple spins in the car, that'll enhance my enjoyment of the concert. So spoil away!

#2807657 - 10/04/16 11:55 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: richforman]
dje31 Online   content

Rumor has it that they'll be playing Endless Dream from Talk, the closing track that's 10+ minutes long, so that could be cool.

Saw a pic of the drummer's kit, and he's got a small array of crotales ( tuned percussion ) so Awaken or Circus of Heaven might be in there.

But that's all I've got. Interested to see if they play any solo stuff ( would like to hear Beside or Inside of This Outside of That from Jon & Vangelis ) , or test out new material.

#2807662 - 10/04/16 12:21 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks for the tip! I think in interviews I've read, they said that the whole "programme" as they might say smile will be all Yes. They did mention that they will be doing Awaken (I saw Jon and Rick do that one a few years back on their tour too). Very excited for this show and they are doing it in a pretty small venue just 10 minutes from my house, will be a blast.

#2807721 - 10/05/16 06:22 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: richforman]
dje31 Online   content

Okay, SPOILER alert! You have been warned, but just in case, I'll give you time to move on.

In 1...

Okay, if you're still here, and don't want to be spoiled, it's your own fault.

First off, a few clarifications:

- I'm a big prog fan, with Yes & Rush being my two all-time faves, but Genesis, ELP, Porcupine Tree, Tool, etc. are in there as well;

- I'm a drummer first, bassist second, and frustrated keys third, but I'm working on it, so please don't kick me out;

Anyway, setlist:

Perpetual Change tease --> Cinema --> Perpetual Change in full
Hold On
Your Move / All Good People
And You & I
Rhythm of Love
Leaves of Green
Awaken
Long Distance Runaround / The Fish
Roundabout
The Meeting
Heart of the Sunrise
Owner of a Lonely Heart
Encore: Starship Trooper

Edited by dje31 (10/05/16 06:23 AM)

#2807723 - 10/05/16 06:28 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Originally Posted By: dje31
Okay, SPOILER alert! You have been warned, but just in case, I'll give you time to move on.

In 1...

Okay, if you're still here, and don't want to be spoiled, it's your own fault.

First off, a few clarifications:

- I'm a big prog fan, with Yes & Rush being my two all-time faves, but Genesis, ELP, Porcupine Tree, Tool, etc. are in there as well;

- I'm a drummer first, bassist second, and frustrated keys third, but I'm working on it, so please don't kick me out;

Anyway, setlist:

Perpetual Change tease --> Cinema --> Perpetual Change in full
Hold On
Your Move / All Good People
And You & I
Rhythm of Love
Leaves of Green
Awaken
Long Distance Runaround / The Fish
Roundabout
The Meeting
Heart of the Sunrise
Owner of a Lonely Heart
Encore: Starship Trooper

Wow! shocked

#2807729 - 10/05/16 07:09 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
dje31 Online   content

Okay, now that I've done that, a few thoughts, mostly good, some fantastically great, some hiccups, and some just informational. I'm a fan, so it's important to be constructively critical ( and there wasn't that much ) . But really, I enjoyed it greatly, but realize this might seem harsh:

Great to see Jon, Trevor & Rick in the flesh...who knows how many more times this will happen?

Jon in great voice. He came out with Mickey Mouse gloves on his hands...which was a little weird, since they were at Hard Rock Live, which is now in Universal's theme park. HRL used to be in Downtown Disney, which is where I saw Porcupine Tree a few years ago. I stupidly assumed HRL was still there, and added an extra 30+ miles trying to realize my error. Thankfully, I left early enough not to miss anything.

Rick in black cape, black T-shirt, black pants. Played really well. On one tune, his arms were just about stretched to his full wingspan between two different boards, but still nailed it.

Trevor looking a bit old, but not cryptkeeper Howe-old looking. He overplays a bit for my liking, but he basically was the impetus for the rebirth of Yes in the 80s ( Yes West ) , which then led to the reformation of the old lineup in the 90s and forward. I like both, for different reasons, and both lineups have highs and lows...who doesn't?

Bassist was impressive. Did a great job, even if he was a bit low in the mix. Also doubled on backing vocals. He did The Fish, and basically built the whole song on the fly using multiple loops / delays. Trevor added some add'l guitar, Rick might have been doing some underlying stuff, but it was basically bass and drums. Jon mentioned it as being a tribute to Chris Squire.

Drummer was solid, but he struggled with some transitions on the longer songs. To his credit, it's opening night of the tour, there's rust, nerves, and Yes has done some really complex stuff, with odd and unexpected changes. He also doubled on backing vocals. He had an overhead boom mic that he'd move in and out, but he might be better served with a headset mic...moving the boom didn't goof him up, but it's still another thing to deal with.

Being opening night, I won't be overly critical. No way I could pull that off. And it was never a trainwreck, but there were a few miscues...primarily by Rabin and the drummer. I'm sure it'll get better over the course of the tour. And I've seen some trainwrecks by Classic Yes+ of late as well, so nobody's perfect.

Surprising that Rabin was off on some stuff, given that he played with them for 10-ish years. But it's been a while, and ain't none of us getting any younger. And I don't know that they did some of this--like Awaken--in the Yes West days.

Visuals were pretty minimal, and kind of looked like they were from a Tool show. The PC running it probably needs to only be used for that, with all extensions, bloatware, etc., stripped off, as it lagged / had latency / skipping issues at times, particularly as the show went on.

Setlist? Perpetual Change was great, tight.

I knew they wanted to focus on Rabin material, but Endless Dream didn't show up, sadly...but that's a tough piece, and being early in the tour, working out kinks, I understand it not being included. Hopefully it'll show up later. Final Eyes would be a nice inclusion as well, or The Calling, or Where Will You Be.

And You & I is a favorite of mine, and Rabin did well with it. Interestingly, and to his credit, a lot of the slide / steel stuff that Howe normally does, Rabin did just with his old Strat, even across stage by Wakemen. Like a geek, I wondered if he had one of those auto-wah type effects going on like the guy from Edie Brickell's "What I Am."

And while I don't require that folks do it like the album / original / the other guy, having a piezo he could kick in and out for an acoustic sound might not be a bad addition...instead of playing a mounted acoustic on a stand like the other guy.

The Meeting is always pretty. My wife, who generally hates prog, loves that song.

The hardcore fan in me would like to see / hear more obscure songs, but the realist / business man in me realizes that, first and foremost, you need to make money, and put asses in the seats...so the standards need to be played. But I really don't need to hear Your Move / All Good People live again. I know, blasphemy...but Rabin used an acoustic on there. I went to the restroom.

Never been a fan of Rhythm of Love, but they made a video of it when it came out, so again, some people ( casual fans, spouses, girlfriends, etc. ) want to hear something familiar.

Speaking of the crowd, I'm 51, and felt oh so young. More women than at a Rush show.

Prog rock joke: Q. where are the shortest lines for the women's restroom?

A. A Rush concert.

Saw a bunch of guys my age and older there solo. I know better than to even ask my wife to go to one of these shows. I imagine that's the case with a lot of guys in my demographic.

Prog joke 2: What's another name for Prog Rock? Girlfriend repellent.

Saw a handful of kids their in late teens. I know I could never drag my kids to a show like that without a bribe of some sort. Wondered how many were actually into that, vs. being brow-beaten into going.

But knowing that folks going to an ARW show are probably pretty hardcore, and that there's a whole different lineup out there---Classic Yes+ vs. Yes West-ish---they could take some chances on the setlist.

Also, knowing that these guys are getting up there, they might consider taking a page from Rush and do a 15-20 minute intermission. Good for the crowd, good for the band.

Re-reading this long post ( sorry ) it may come off as snarky, but that's not the intent. I hope it's a HUGE success. Would like to see some new material from ARW, and if they've worked on anything, why not test it out on-stage to see its reception?

I love Yes, in all incarnations, and will gladly pay for anything they put out, and see them live. It's how these guys are making a living, and I'm happy to support them. It's like checking up on old friends, to see what they're up to.

If you're a Yes fan, by all means, GO!

Edited by dje31 (10/05/16 09:27 AM)

#2807732 - 10/05/16 07:20 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
dje31 Online   content

A few other items...much shorter this time:

Awaken had a different intro, that later came back and introduced the harp / pipe organ softer middle section. Nice touches.

Another that would be nice to see integrated as the tour goes on: The Revealing Science of God. That hasn't been done in a while, and never with Rabin, AFAIK. Not sure he likes playing the other guy's stuff. But he plays Rabin stuff, so why not?

Oh yeah...KEYTAR! Whoo!

Also, took a setlist pic from the mixing board area. Lift Me Up and Changes were on there, but neither were played. Those would have been nice additions, so look for them in subsequent shows.

Edited by dje31 (10/05/16 07:42 AM)

#2807744 - 10/05/16 08:11 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Yeah, those would be nice set list treats, I think both for us harder-core and for more casual fans (they're hits, but rarities on the set list). I was interested to read in an interview with JA that the bassist is the same guy who I just saw two weeks back as part of Jeff Lynne's ELO (which was a fantastic show, I saw it at Radio City Music Hall in NYC).

#2807745 - 10/05/16 08:12 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
dje31 Online   content

Almost forgot...Rick's Gear:

I took a few pics with my phone, but not always clear, in subdued light. There was a thread a few weeks ago with pics better than mine, and it probably hasn't changed much since then.

10 boards in total, with three I couldn't make out:

2 Moog Model D ( I wonder if they're his old stand-bys, or the new reissue? )
2 Korg Kronos ( two different fonts on the Kronos name, so presumably different iterations )
1 Roland Fantom X8
1 Roland V-Synth GT
1 Yamaha Montage 7
1 below the Fantom that I'd guess is a Hammond XK___ or SK____, as it was used on the organ section of Awaken.
2 on his far left, but couldn't tell what they were.

Make that 11, including the Keytar, but it was offstage until needed.

I can post pics, or at least try, if anyone's interested...though I might have said too much already... wink

Edited by dje31 (10/05/16 08:20 AM)

#2808350 - 10/09/16 01:51 AM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My recollection is that Chris Squire did the pipe organ intro to "Awaken", so that might explain why they changed it, our of reverence. I mean, who would want to play Chris's parts, on any instrument, and risk being compared?

#2808423 - 10/09/16 07:28 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
Originally Posted By: dje31

Make that 11, including the Keytar, but it was offstage until needed.

I can post pics, or at least try, if anyone's interested...though I might have said too much already... wink

You forgot to mention RW partially was playing along w/ some sequences and/or backing tracks,- which was very obvious in a youtube vid I just watched ...

Go to 03:32 and see him starting something, then walk away from the keys to his racks and adjust something followed by going to one of his Minimoogs, grabbing earphones and w/ audio-out muted dial in a sound or tune it, while the keys continue to play and it isnt just only one chord sustaining or such.
When you continue watching the vid, youll recognize some bellish sequences and chords continuously playing while he is playing some single lines along with that stuff.
Im really disappointed from that performance.

A.C.

#2808426 - 10/09/16 07:43 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Al Coda]
dje31 Online   content

To play devil's advocate, it's possible that either Rabin or the bassist might also be triggering loops in addition to Wakeman's live lines.

In many previous Yes incarnations, Anderson has also been supplementing on keys and percussion.

Edited by dje31 (10/09/16 07:47 PM)

#2808428 - 10/09/16 07:54 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: dje31]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'd rather he trigger a few loops here and there than have a heart attack from all the stress, as in past tours.

#2808433 - 10/09/16 08:15 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
I'd rather he trigger a few loops here and there than have a heart attack from all the stress, as in past tours.

Well, from a keyboardist setting up 11 keys, 2 racks, large mixer and 2 Sycologic MIDI matrix switchers on stage, I expect to see (and hear) some sportive performance and not avoiding stress.
He could have some easier life using 3 or 4 keys and triggering loops, phrases or sequences (if not backing tracks) too,- no ?

I also downloaded an audio-only recording of the complete show and didnt recognize anything impossible to perform on a much smaller rig.
Id say its easy to perform that music on a modern DP w/ add. sounds, organ-clone, 1 modern workstation type performance keyboard and 1 MOOG for his signature leads.

A.C.

#2808443 - 10/09/16 09:30 PM Re: ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman [Re: Al Coda]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maybe you could offer to take his place.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner