Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are these forums growing or not?

I have no idea but it seems that with more and more people coming to the internet, these forums should grow faster. On the other hand, I'm assuming the internet is still growing. Sometimes the guitar or keyboard forums seem deader than they should be. Of course, sometimes I wish it were all one big forum so more eyeballs would see a post.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well duke since i am #262 and new folks are starting at 20,000+ id say this forum gets bigger everyday. the internet is nice for this kind of stuff, but it separates us from the importance of personal contact. i think a person needs a healthy dose of both for a good balance. unfortunatly i live mostly on the net in my other forum that i am at more, [url=http://www.dodgesweptline.org]www.dodgesweptline.org[/url] right now music is just work and money for me, and i am not having much if any fun at it (but it pays really nice) and i am having much more fun at my current hobby of dodge trucks from the 60's. music used to be my hobby, now its all i do it seems. now trucks are my hobby. its better than the other way around i guess.

[quote]Originally posted by coaster: [b]right now music is just work and money for me, and i am not having much if any fun at it (but it pays really nice) and i am having much more fun at my current hobby of dodge trucks from the 60's.[/b][/quote]that kinda of seems odd to me. i cant even imagine doing music as not being fun. why do you do it then? i guess to pay the bills. i dont think i would do it just to pay the bills and not have fun at it. i guess i do design with the same results... its not really much "fun" for me, but it pays really well. i guess what seems odd, is that to do music, i have always heard have a backup plan... design in my backup plan. i still make money recording bands, but with the cost of equipment and me being a gear slut it usually gets sucked up in upgrades. i dont consider music as a hobby though. its more of an obsession, and i have a LOT of fun doing it. i have many hobbies though. woodworking, photography, yardwork [yeah, its got that four letter word in it, but i enjoy it... very relaxing, although since i now have to maintain 9 acres, its getting away from me], carving, my pond... i have other hobbies too, but my brain is friend right now and i cant think much. spent a nice day out in the yard enjoying the weather.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Hi Coaster, Interesting that your comment on Music being work and no longer your hobby. I have oftened wondered how it would be if music was my full time thing. I would probably get annoyed with it. I actually posted something on that topic a few months ago - but not many people agreed with me. The KB bbs is very quiet at the moment. Which could be a good thing. Maybe it means lots of work for KB players. Regards Alby

Duke, this site grew at an amazing rate for the first year or so because the moderators (Craig, Roger, George, Dave etc. ) are giants in the industry, and they all posted a lot. Due to recent developments (whatever they may be) they have all but stopped posting all together. I don't mean this as a slam of any kind. Just a statement of the facts as *I* see them. While SSS has remained vital, it seems the other forums that I frequent have indeed suffered a sizable decrease in traffic. Too bad :(
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

And it's scary how much traffic is over at the HC forum site. But there are so many jerks over there. I kinda like it here a lot better, the people are nicer, even if the traffic isn't as high. Jack
I really don't know what to put here.

Well it's tough to say. The moderators do play a huge roll in generating posts. And the signal to noise ratio around here seems to be in check. One note is that the Bass Forum is really kicking and the people there mentioned it was because there was a link on bassplayer.com to the forums (which was kind of hidden previously). But what's strange is that guitarplayer.com also got a more prominent forums link but that hasn't really boosted the posts on the Guitar forum. Since Lisa isn't around as much things do get slow over there. But now the forum has amp guru, Miles Rose, who is replying to posts and doing a stellar job. I've tried to do my part by adding some bells and whistles (spell check, post preview, searching all forums again, new graemlins, polls, have new topics/replies go to list of topics) and fixing some bugs and trying to speed things up. I also try to start threads, post replies, and post articles on the Net that I think are of interest. I'm also close to finally getting a Songwriting forum going. I've been on the prowl for some good moderators and may have found a couple...stay tuned... And if Craig wasn't so buried writing articles for EQ, Keyboard, Gig, and his other side projects, he'd be posting more here but as he's stated it's unfortunately turned in to a labor of love and he just doesn't have enough time in a day to post, as well as be with his family. Same with Mitch. He's having a house built in Nashville getting ready to move and Craig and him basically run EQ! If you guys wanna tell a few musical friends and spread the word, please be my guest...

[quote]Originally posted by kudyba: [b]...I'm also close to finally getting a Songwriting forum going. I've been on the prowl for some good moderators and may have found a couple...stay tuned... ...[/b][/quote]That could be great! Maybe. I used to visit a well-known songwriting forum that I still see trumped up on the net. Outstanding site. Well laid out and full of info. But the forum... I finally quit going there. I'm not saying I'm a great songwriter, I have no idea (yet), but heck, these people seemed to be rank amateurs, mostly. Just TERRIBLE stuff. One does NOT need advice or critique from a beginner... but from veterans. At the time I quit going there, I had wished that there was something on MP on songwriting because I needed help with some issues and these forums are so outstanding. Just wish there was more traffic. It's just hard to understand why they're not bigger than they are. Heck, I quit going to some other forums that have incredibly high traffic because of all the teenagers. They just ruin it. Can you guys think of anything that you'd like to see changed to make this better?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]I have no idea but it seems that with more and more people coming to the internet, these forums should grow faster. On the other hand, I'm assuming the internet is still growing. Sometimes the guitar or keyboard forums seem deader than they should be. Of course, sometimes I wish it were all one big forum so more eyeballs would see a post.[/b][/quote]You're kidding right? Have you looked at other internet music forums? This one by far gets the most hits. The keyboard corner is the ONLY place like that in the web as far as S/N ratio and the knowledge of the people there. You should definitely look around and see what the rest is like... :rolleyes: You expect people to online 24 hours and this thing moving like a chat room? :p Keep bitching, and then you won't have a place like this to ask questions and get help on music subjects. Rob, you guys are doing an amazing job, as far as I'm concerned.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Yeah, rob & LiveMusic... I think it is a little of a lot of things. - First off, the longer you stay in these forums, the more you are going to learn... if you are trying to learn. So, it is only inevitable that you will reach a point where you see a lot of posts that don't hold that *interest level*, because you've seen the post before from someone else. - Times have gotten tough for a lot of us in the *techy* businesses. Companies cutting back or just plan shutting down. If you weren't downsized, you are working on 2 or more people's projects, now. Either you are too busy working, or you are busy trying to find work. - Too much of anything can wear you done. Some people have 2500 or 5800 posts! I think that some people who were making some decent posts found something else to do for a while, and will be back, soon. I've been here just short of 10 months, and have seen the *slowdowns*. I think I'd like to see fewer *quality* posts. But, that perspective depends on who you are, technically. I am still a hobbyist at this. If I am seeing posts that make me think there should be a *NEWBIE* forum, I wonder how many of the professionals would wish I stayed in it! :rolleyes: For the time being, I don't mind weeding through the few posts that are here and deciding which ones to read and respond to. If I don't learn at least something when I in these forums, then I'm not trying. Because I still have a lot to learn. I just learned my new computer part are in! Woo-hoo! Y'all keep on posting... and stop double posting across threads :bor: I'm already an old man, and this stuff gets me confused on which forum I was in when I read it the day before :cool:

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Aw, lighten up, Rod. I wasn't bitching. I plainly said that it puzzles me why these forums aren't MORE popular, since they are so good. And if I was bitching, so what? This is America. I don't know how you operate in Brazil, but up here we have freedom of speech. If I bitched just to be bitching and I continued, they could block me out of here. The way you improve things is... first, you are observant, second, you inquire about your observations, third, you solicit advice, fourth, you act on it. So there. You can bet that a forum can die a slow death. Not that this one is dying at all. Only Rob knows the numbers. But there's always ways to improve. Whoever owns this forum, you can bet your ass they want as many eyeballs seeing these pages as they can get and they welcome critique; I guarantee it. I have a couple of ideas but I'll just keep them to myself for now. [quote]Originally posted by Rod CA: [b] [quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]I have no idea but it seems that with more and more people coming to the internet, these forums should grow faster. On the other hand, I'm assuming the internet is still growing. Sometimes the guitar or keyboard forums seem deader than they should be. Of course, sometimes I wish it were all one big forum so more eyeballs would see a post.[/b][/quote]You're kidding right? Have you looked at other internet music forums? This one by far gets the most hits. The keyboard corner is the ONLY place like that in the web as far as S/N ratio and the knowledge of the people there. You should definitely look around and see what the rest is like... :rolleyes: You expect people to online 24 hours and this thing moving like a chat room? :p Keep bitching, and then you won't have a place like this to ask questions and get help on music subjects. Rob, you guys are doing an amazing job, as far as I'm concerned.[/b][/quote]

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Rob K quotes the situation as it exists. The bass forum has seen ups and downs, especially when the founding moderator (and all-around great guy) Ed Friedland left. We also get new people asking the same question we answered last month. That repetition has probably kept some people away. We have kept the forum more "topic-focused" than you have here at SSS. There are advantages and disdvantages to this, but I think that people who need to stretch beyond bass topics often come here for other types of discussions (I know I do). I appreciate that SSS is available for that (thanks guys). It may seem hard to imagine, but not everybody wants to chat like this. I know people that are technical and musical that would never get involved in any forums. Also, people have different tastes, and it's clear that the Harmony-Central approach appeals to many. From what I see, these forums are growing. The change may be slower than you'd expect. It may have to do with the type of threads you answer, or that you look for your "friends" because they are familiar. And I'll second everybody's kudos to Rob K (I'm genuflecting again). I had the opportunity to meet Rob in the flesh recently. Great guy. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Here are some hard facts. I thought that new memebers had to have dropped down since MPN had stopped really promoting the forums to a great extent (there was a time when we had a budget for this and tried our best to drive tons of traffic). So I recently went into our system to see how the traffic for new registered users had done in Feb. To my surprise we actually are still averaging about 25 new registered users per day. This was about the same amount we got back when we got free gear and other tactics to drive new registered users. So we are still getting new users. Whether or the posts are as frequent as other times is another issue. I think it's much like any other conversation with highs and lows. I still remember a girl in high-school used to say "Every twenty minutes there's a lull in conversation." Maybe now during this Messe there's a lull.

Joe McDonough

Music Player Network

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b] Can you guys think of anything that you'd like to see changed to make this better? [/b][/quote]More nudity! :D Great idea on the songwriting forum. They've been talking about that since I've been around (a year and a half, despite what my info claims). BTW, the Keyboard Corner has turned out to be quite the CD producing machine. They're about to release their third, and they're already planning several more. I hope more forums go this route. Looks like the Studio Business guys have another one in the works. A project like that can really build the community spirit if managed properly (although the Studio Business guys didn't have the smoothest of rides the first time out). That plus the hosting of MP3 critiques - which Craig and Dave have done really well - seem like ideas for generating more interest. Those MP3 threads alone would make MP a cut above the competition (if it weren't already). ;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Sorry Duke, but you and some of the other guys that do a lot of posting still seem like new guys to me. I'm happy about the growth rate here. It's good for us all to have an attitude of learning, and not measure the quality of the forums by the number of eyes that see a post. I am out here practically everyday, looking at new posts, and seeing what I think I might have to contribute. But I don't write a comment on everyting I read. I hope these forums endure for a long time. Rob K - you're doing a great job! :wave:
- Calfee Jones

((And if Craig wasn't so buried writing articles for EQ, Keyboard, Gig, and his other side projects, he'd be posting more here but as he's stated it's unfortunately turned in to a labor of love and he just doesn't have enough time in a day to post, as well as be with his family.)) This is, sadly, so true. I do spend time reading here because, well, you guys are just too effing cool. I learn a lot here, too. But right now, EQ is a very demanding mistress. I can't do things halfway, so it's getting a lot of attention...as do Keyboard, Gig, and Guitar Player. I post when I can, and I expect I'll post more once I'm traveling less and some family health issues are resolved. Rob is a stellar guy, by the way. He more than deserves every ounce of praise he gets. BTW the coolest thing about the net: here I am in Frankfurt, saying hi to y'all. The German language keyboard is weird, though...

Archived