Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2748644 - 01/21/16 06:04 PM New room- need a little help.
Aphotic Offline

New here.

Just moved to a new house and...

Ceiling 7.7 feet - width 9.6 feet- length 14 feet

My room has a 20db null at 90 and a 12db peak at 147 and a huge null in 1k as well. All the rest of the frequencies are flat enough by only 2 or 3dbs. I do use room eq wizard and the ecm8000.

I have first reflections situated with pro foam panels up which flattened the highs but cant figure out the 1k dip despite moving things. Monitors are isolated from the table. Adding more foam keeps the highs the same and just looks tacky. I room tested this in the same listening position. I also have absorption on the rear wall. I didn't over do it. Speakers fire long ways down the room.

There is a huge wood closet behind me and a smaller wood one on the right of me but in the back of the room. Floor is thick carpet. I am 38 percent back from the wall, monitors at ear levels.

Am i right to assume bass trapping Isn't going to help the 1k null? shouldn't the foam take care of that? Aren't they good down to lower than 1k? (my foam panels are 2 inches thick) I am ordering 4 inch thick 703 panels tonight and want to double them up to 8 inches for my bass traps. Is it ok to stack them up together to make 8 inch thick bass traps?

Lastly the back left corner of the room has NO bass at all but all other corners have the build up bad. My best bass response is standing at a 45 degree side angle of my monitors where i can hear the sub lows booming the most. In front of me i still hear the sub lows but not like from the side. I'm hoping bass trapping with fix this as i mix a lot of rap, rock and metal.

Edited by Aphotic (01/21/16 06:06 PM)

#2748731 - 01/22/16 05:29 AM Re: New room- need a little help. [Re: Aphotic]
Rky Offline

Loc: Chicagoland,Illinois,USA
I wonder if the 1K null is caused by the monitor response. You can test that by placing 1 monitor in the center of the room, (or outside if it's quiet or ideally in an anechoic chamber) and measuring the response on axis, typically at 1 meter but closer might be better to reduce the influence of room modes/reflections. My best guess.

Cheers,
Rock

#2748845 - 01/22/16 09:33 AM Re: New room- need a little help. [Re: Rky]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Rock is correct that many speakers have a non-flat response with a suppressed midrange. But there are other possible explanations. You have absorbers at the reflection points, which is needed. But did you measure the speakers one at a time, or with both playing together? When both speakers play the same content, slightly different arrival times can skew the response. For example, if the microphone is 30 inches from one speaker and 31 inches from the other.

And Yes, adding more bass traps will improve the response at all locations in the room.

--Ethan

#2749267 - 01/23/16 07:49 PM Re: New room- need a little help. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Aphotic Offline

I did measure the response from both monitors and the difference was very minimal.

Will sub bass come forward into my face instead of the sides of the monitors once i get these bass traps in the mail? I understand it will level the nulls and peaks but when i mix low sub bass stuff i need to be able to hear these sub lows without standing off to the side of my monitors to mix compare to other tracks. My entire 80-100 in my face is a huge null and it shows 50-60 peaking but i dont seem to hear that low sub stuff well. Im hoping bass traps resolve these issues? Ive mixed for 11 years with minimal room treatment ! Just obsessively learning my monitors in bad rooms and mix referencing on different stereos. I have gotten the ear from mixing from all that nightmare but what a waste of time! Once i started to listen to ethans simple advice i didnt have to do so much mix referencing.

Edited by Aphotic (01/23/16 07:57 PM)

#2749383 - 01/24/16 09:22 AM Re: New room- need a little help. [Re: Aphotic]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I can't promise how much better your nulls will get after adding bass traps, but it can only help. The amount of improvement depends entirely on how many traps you have and how thick they are.

--Ethan

#2751800 - 02/01/16 01:19 AM Re: New room- need a little help. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Aphotic Offline

Ethan; I finally got the bass traps and have read a lot about them- one thing i cant find is if they would be ok on the floor in the corners only and not stacked to the ceiling. I ask because i dont wanna cut the fiberglass to make 2 fit to the ceiling. I have to cut 5 inches off 4 panels to make 2 panels floor to ceiling in all 4 corners. I really dont wanna have to cut them in case i move to a bigger house/room eventually and now they're too short...The shit isn't exactly cheap. What do you suggest i do ? I have 8 total bass traps. Can they all just sit in the corners on the floor? Or are the ceiling corners super crucial as well?

Edited by Aphotic (02/01/16 01:20 AM)
Edit Reason: More typos

#2752489 - 02/03/16 08:53 AM Re: New room- need a little help. [Re: Aphotic]
MP Hall of Fame Member

All corners are more or less equally viable for bass traps. So put in as many as you can, without cutting them up, and enjoy the improvement.

--Ethan

#2752548 - 02/03/16 01:16 PM Re: New room- need a little help. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Rky Offline

Loc: Chicagoland,Illinois,USA
I have the same dilemma as does everyone else with ceilings lower than 8ft.

Sure it's best not to have to cut them to make them fit, but after you have all the other corners covered (all 12 of them in a rectangle), you don't really have much choice. So yeah, I'd say cut them to fit if you want a the vertical corner bass traps to look neat and trim. If you don't want to cut them, you can also probably stagger them by hanging one high in the corner and place the other one on the floor with it's top 5 inches overlapping the top one. I don't think the gap between the trap edges and the wall will be of any concern. It won't look as good but if you will move in the future, and plan to use the traps elsewhere, it might be to your advantage to keep them whole. My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Rock

#2752655 - 02/04/16 06:20 AM Re: New room- need a little help. [Re: Rky]
Aphotic Offline

Thanks; that's a good idea. I'm going to overlap them. I care more about the sound and not cutting them than i do about their look for now.

Moderator:  Ethan Winer