Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The rotary effect is downright offensive. Not critical for me, as I've already got that base covered, but I'd think in 2016, they'd be able to advance beyond what I'm hearing.
EPs sound nice. Sounds like some great synth stuff too.

Keyboard Corner Island
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The emphasis seems to be on big, stereo synth sounds. Most of the bread and butter stuff I'm hearing, sounds like previous Motifs. The sax at the end of the one demo sounded very nice. Hope to hear better demos of the new string ensembles. According to the info they listed only pianos, strings and winds as being updated PCM.

Busch.

S
Online Content
S
This is supposed to be a performance board. I sooo wanted to be blown away, but so far, with the exception of the piano (sounded beautiful) and maybe some strings, I haven't heard anything I would ever use in a performance. A lot of trance, wavestation type programs, but for live performance the organ was nowhere near CX3 Kronos quality and the synths sound so digital. I'm still going to check one out, but so far It's not doing it for me. By the way, It is a beautiful looking board, way better than the Kronos and it comes in 76 key synth version. Still a little early so I'm keeping my options open, but I was ready to order until I've heard some of the demos. I hope a lot more demos are coming and it changes my opinion.

O
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
O
Originally Posted By: sherry
This is supposed to be a performance board. I sooo wanted to be blown away, but so far, with the exception of the piano (sounded beautiful) and maybe some strings, I haven't heard anything I would ever use in a performance. A lot of trance, wavestation type programs, but for live performance the organ was nowhere near CX3 Kronos quality and the synths sound so digital. I'm still going to check one out, but so far It's not doing it for me. By the way, It is a beautiful looking board, way better than the Kronos and it comes in 76 key synth version. Still a little early so I'm keeping my options open, but I was ready to order until I've heard some of the demos. I hope a lot more demos are coming and it changes my opinion.

Overall I like my Kronos better Sherry but for some things my S90 XS is great. It looks very nice I agree.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

B
B
Seems its a board to create things of yourself
And not a board for replaying the music of others..

Sure it has piano's and organs... But if you want realistic versions of that, there are better options..

This is all about creating your very unique own sound...

U
U
Pricing for the 88 key at one site

Yamaha Montage8 88 Key Synthesizer Yamaha Montage 88-Key Synthesizer
Our Price: $3,999.99
List Price: $4,499.00
You Save $499.01!
Yamaha Montage 88 Key Synthesizer Workstation

Last edited by Cybersoniq; 01/21/16 03:24 PM.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well I just think they wanted to set themselves up for the future and also to differentiate themselves from the other mfg's with the Motion Seq. w/FM/AWM and also to maintain their presence as 'The' innovator ala (CS-80 and DX-7) . . .

Do I want or need it, no!

A note by note piano multi sample set would have been exciting and/or better Clonewheel/Leslie sim.. but I'm not 25. For Rav and dance music this machine is gonna be the sh@t with that Motion Seq integration ...

nice machine though, looks really good aesthetically! pleasing to the eyes . . .

Last edited by Legatoboy; 01/21/16 03:32 PM.

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122
F
FJR Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
F
It seems like a Motif XF with added Polyphony, FM Module, Touch Screen, and "Super" knob...

Same massive beast of a frame (at least with the 88)!

I get the feeling the seamless transition feature will have caveats, as it doesn't seem talked about too much?

The biggest change for the Montage, besides the added FM-X engine, is Motion Control Synthesis. Here is the overview video on the Motion Control Structure.

Last edited by Cybersoniq; 01/21/16 04:11 PM.
B
B
Some interesting snipsets from the FAQ...

No pattern mode
very basic sequencer
no DAW controll
No PC/MAc editor

Seems its not all sunshine
I copied/pasted what was lost from teh Motif just below...

Are there All of MOTIF XF Preset Voices on MONTAGE?
Yes. There are 1,353 Voices (128 * 9 bank + 72Drum Kit + 128GM + 1GM Drum Kit)as Performance.

Same? MOTIF XF voices on MONTAGE and MOTIF XF voices on MOTIF XF.
They are very similar but technically not identical.
MONTAGE has more improved sound engine than MOTIF XF and different analogue circuit boards. Some of voices sound different slightly, depending on voice selected.

Are there any expansion options for MONTAGE?
No. MONTAGE already has flash memory and USB Audio/MIDI onboard.
Can I expand the capacity of User flash?

MONTAGE can be used by 16 part Multi timber?
Yes. MONTAGE's Performance can have 16 part in max.
*All the preset Performances are made by within 8 part.

MONTAGE has Digital Output?
MONTAGE does not have Optical/Coaxial digital out, but MONTAGE has USB Audio. You can use digital out via USB Audio.

MONTAGE has "Master Keyboard" function?
Yes. There are setting in Utility and each Performance.

MONTAGE has DAW Remote function?
No.

MONTAGE has Sampling function?
No. But MONTAGE can load wav file.

MONTAGE has Fully-functional Sequencer?
No. MONTAGE just has the simple sequencer "Performance Recorder". It does not have edit function.

Can I record to MONTAGE itself?
MONTAGE features a Performance Recorder (built-in multi Track sequencer) for recording your keyboard performance as MIDI data.
This function allows you to instantly store your phrase which comes to your mind.
You can create full, complex multi-instrument arrangements and complete Songs, using DAW.
And when you connected USB flash memory to MONTAGE, you can record as Audio data to USB flash.

MONTAGE can play MIDI file and Audio file?
Yes. Conpatible format is the following.
MIDI: MONTAGE original format and SMF format0/1
Audio: WAV (44.1 kHz/24 bit/Stereo or 44.1 kHz/16 bit/Stereo)

Network function is available for MONTAGE?
No. it's not planned to have this function currently.

Are there any PC/Mac software for MONTAGE?
We will release the software "MONTAGE Connect" on Autumn 2016.
This software has two function, "Recall" & "Performance record transmission".
For more detail information, you will be able to get on April.

MONTAGE has PC/Mac Editor?
No, it's not planned to release currently.

What kind of USB driver MONTAGE can use?
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver. Compatible version will be released on May, 2016.

Can MONTAGE connect with iOS device for using the App "AN2015" or "Music Remixer"?
Yes. MONTAGE has the compatibility with Class Compliant, so you can connect and use those App.
When you connect with iOS device, please use Apple "Lightning - USB Camera Adapter".

How fast the start-up time?
Around 16 seconds.

From Yamaha:
The Montage Sequencer is not a fully-functional sequencer. It is only a simple sequencer/Performance Recorder and does not have edit functions.
What can it do/How does it work? The MONTAGE Performance Recorder is a built-in multi track recorder for keyboard performance as MIDI data. This function allows you to instantly store your recorded phrases. The intention is to create full, complex multi-instrument arrangements and complete songs in DAW.

Other related recording and playback features:
-MONTAGE, you can record Audio data to USB flash.
-MONTAGE can play MIDI file and Audio file. MIDI: MONTAGE original format and SMF format0/1 and Audio: WAV (44.1 kHz/24 bit/Stereo or 44.1 kHz/16 bit/Stereo).

Last edited by Cybersoniq; 01/21/16 04:57 PM.
At 63 lbs for the 88, definitely not gig-friendly.

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOXF6, Nektar Impact LX61, Macbook Air
Some other key Montage FAQs
-start-up time is stated to be around 16 seconds. twothumbs
-Master Keyboard functions are available and can be set in Utility menu for and each Performance.
- Montage has NO DAW Remote function facepalm
- Montage has NO sampling function.
- Montage has.wav file playback and audio record direct to attached USB drive

Last edited by Cybersoniq; 01/21/16 05:18 PM.
B
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
Seems they pinned all their hopes and dreams on the super knob.

So many shortcomings in this instrument.

And I'm already sick of their beat-synced demos. Makes it come off like a one trick pony.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator
BTW Yamaha, would you like to let us know what's the X rating all about in the FM-X engine??? (Yes we know it has 8-Operators, 88 Algorithms, and a few spectral waveforms...and yes that all sounds cool). I guess you'll have it in the Montage User Manual which will be available when? poke

V
Gold Member
Gold Member
V
Originally Posted By: Bif_

And I'm already sick of their beat-synced demos. Makes it come off like a one trick pony.

And i find it kind of funny watching the Montage demonstrators (middle aged men) moving their heads and upper body slightly as if they are having a freaking groovy time while playing along with their trancy, dubstebby groovy arp rhytm......

No the group that is in the market for those things can hardly afford a Reface blush
We who are capable of buying a Montage (albite hardly I must confess.....) demand proper demonstrations of vintage, orchestral and synth sounds that surpass the Motif XF soundwise.....

Last edited by vanderSchoot; 01/21/16 05:35 PM.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: unclebyron
Pricing for the 88 key at one site

Yamaha Montage8 88 Key Synthesizer Yamaha Montage 88-Key Synthesizer
Our Price: $3,999.99
List Price: $4,499.00
You Save $499.01!
Yamaha Montage 88 Key Synthesizer Workstation

Here is what I see at another site:

Montage 6: $2999
Montage 7: $3499
Montage 8: $3999

So except for the 61 key, more expensive than the current corresponding Kronos models. And they are heavier, particularly the 88 which is 10 pounds heavier...bummer.

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2
www.stickmanor.com
There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman
B
B
Originally Posted By: Bif_

They tried to move away from the workstation we know... Kudos for that...

But they threw away to many features in that process( in my opinion) what i really liked from the motif and what was one of the few things that it had above the kronos was its daw integration and awesome editor..

I just cant understand that they threw away those 2 features...

Gold Member
Gold Member
Sweetwater demo

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD/Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey/Roland RD-1000
F
F

No comment...

From the 'MONTAGE Development Story'
https://youtu.be/23bqJfgqD_k

B
B
Originally Posted By: Cybersoniq
-start-up time is stated to be around 16 seconds. twothumbs
-Master Keyboard functions are available and can be set in Utility menu for and each Performance.
- Montage has NO sampling function.
- Montage has.wav file playback and audio record direct to attached USB drive

I was hoping for full integration with the daw, even beyound what the Motif had... On the level we have seen fron NI, akai and Nektar..

I am quite convinced that thats the future.... Full integration of a hardware workstation with a daw...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have no desire to have an on-board sequencer, but I find it really odd that they have taken seemingly contradictory positions:

- they have provided a more rudimentary sequencer than the Motif XF and MOXF ...with the rationalization that you should be using a DAW for full-fledged arrangements
- they have removed the remote DAW control that existed on Motif XF and MOXF

Very strange logic.

Last edited by Sam Mullins; 01/21/16 05:47 PM.

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2
www.stickmanor.com
There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman
D
D
Montage seems to have most everything Motif users have been asking then some. More waverom, FM synthesis, seamless sound switching, nicer readable touch display without the lag, set list and LED indicators next to the realtime modifiers. Some really nice design enhancements including the aluminum panels finished to 5 microns and upgraded analog I/O section. 16 second startup time. The super knob is a nice touch. Reminds me of the Jupiter 80's toneblender except much more configurable with a much smoother response. Yeah and I can load my XF patches including my custom samples.

Don't like the demos, folks already "missing" features they really never used anyway, glass half full? The possibilities here are exciting and completely different than anything else out there.

Thank you Yamaha. Count me in for a Montage 7.

A
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy

Do I want or need it, no!

+1

A.C.

BRW Offline
It feels essentially like a SY77/99 with Wavestation-like "motion" capabilities. My excitement has been dimmed somewhat, but I think I'll replace my Motif with it regardless.

The EPs sound surprisingly "plastic". The ones in the CP1/4/5 and the Reface CP are much juicier and "analog".

I think this thing will get its due better once more demos arrive.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yawn....

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo
Here's Blake from Yamaha with a 30 minute+ video that presents the gestalt of the Montage...how the disparate Montage elements all flow together. Really like the Electric Piano and Guitar Gallery performances, where the Super Knob, scene selects, assignable switches seemlessly transition between different EPs, voices, FX and articulations. twothumbs
Also nice demo of strings, brass and pipe organs....and FM-x performances!

Last edited by Cybersoniq; 01/21/16 09:00 PM.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Drawbar organ with rotary sim demo:

Leave it to Yamaha to find a way to make their Leslie sim sound even worse than the Motif... OY!

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yeah yeah yeah... So tell me that there is a way to turn off that annoying blinking light... Please?

Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard