Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2747553 - 01/18/16 12:27 AM NORD Piano 3 being announced officially
Alexander Nagel Offline

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany

Edited by Alexander Nagel (01/18/16 12:28 AM)

KC Island
#2747558 - 01/18/16 01:27 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Alexander Nagel]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
New action! smile

Quote:

The keybed has added weight for improved dynamic control and features a textured “ivory” surface, providing authentic Piano touch and feel.

Looks like a sensible upgrade. Now here's hoping the pricing will be just as sensible.

#2747561 - 01/18/16 02:24 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: zephonic]
Mr T, Sweden Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Örebro, Sweden
I hope the new keybed is a real step-up from the old one. Seems that this is what most people complain about...

What I would have liked to see is improved midi handling - with some proper midi master functions, and pitch/modwheel. Ok, it's a piano, but many cheaper pianos (Yamaha CP4/CP40, Kawai MP7, Studiologic Numa Stage and others) have at least some midi master functions. Apart from the Stage series, this is always some Nord leaves out in their keyboards. In a world where more and more players use their laptops extensively, proper midi functions should be standard, IMNSHO. You shouldn't have to buy the $4000+ top model to get that.
Nord Stage 3 sw73, Yamaha CP88, KeyB Legend Live, Kurzweil PC3K7, EV ZXa1 + sub. K&M stands, Hammond E112, Leslie 3300, EHX V256, Roland SE-02, Yamaha EX5R & TG77, Novation Nova desktop & much more...

#2747562 - 01/18/16 02:43 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: zephonic]
Marko in Boston Offline

Originally Posted By: zephonic
New action! smile

Quote:

The keybed has added weight for improved dynamic control and features a textured “ivory” surface, providing authentic Piano touch and feel.

Looks like a sensible upgrade. Now here's hoping the pricing will be just as sensible.

It further reads "The individual Fatar keybeds are meticulously calibrated at the Nord factory to ensure an even response over the whole range." I wonder if it's a TP/40 or 100. Still not graded but triple sensor nice.

#2747564 - 01/18/16 03:11 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Marko in Boston]
Spider76 Offline

Yeah, it's not just a memory upgrade like the Stage2X.

Doubled piano and sample memory, OLED display from the Electro5 but most of all improved keybed!
Triple sensor, ivory touch...they don't give out names but it sounds a lot like the TP40wood.
And the weight hasn't grown, actually it's a tiny bit less.

There is also something they call Virtual Hammer Action, that they claim it's exclusive to Clavia.
After the modded TP8o for the Mojo, this...could it be that FATAR is making a new business with brand-customized actions?

#2747568 - 01/18/16 04:25 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Marko in Boston]
Ulf Offline

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
It further reads "The individual Fatar keybeds are meticulously calibrated at the Nord factory to ensure an even response over the whole range." I wonder if it's a TP/40 or 100. Still not graded but triple sensor nice.

I got the opportunity to visit the Nord production facility, which is actually located right in the middle of Stockholm, Sweden. I wouldn't have thought so much manual labor would be possible in a high-cost country like Sweden. Very, very impressed with what I saw.

Then again, for someone actually playing the bass and only dabbling with keys, the Piano 2 is probably overkill and I see no need to upgrade (not even for better midi handling).

#2747571 - 01/18/16 05:14 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Ulf]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Meh

#2747575 - 01/18/16 05:40 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Delaware Dave]
sMatt Offline

I'd like to see the improved action trickle down / up / sidewise into their other keyboards as well, STAT!

#2747579 - 01/18/16 06:19 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: sMatt]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
A Fatar TP40 action with catch up to Casio tri-sensor.
Room for 1gb worth of the Nord Piano library at once.
A measly 256mb of user samples at any one time.
40-60 polyphony.

The current NP2 is $3000 HA88.
Now if they reduce price by $700-$1000 in the US they may have something competitive here. YMMV

#2747586 - 01/18/16 06:49 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Spider76]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
Originally Posted By: Spider76
Triple sensor, ivory touch...they don't give out names but it sounds a lot like the TP40wood.
And the weight hasn't grown, actually it's a tiny bit less.

There is also something they call Virtual Hammer Action, that they claim it's exclusive to Clavia.
After the modded TP8o for the Mojo, this...could it be that FATAR is making a new business with brand-customized actions?

I'd like to get more details on this, as well as a photo and/or drawing of the action.

Here's a link to the Fatar TP40/wood.

TP/40WOOD: Professional Grand Piano Keyboard. Wood Keys. Graded Hammer Action. The special sandwich design of the keys (Kostil® Wood and Kostil®) applied to the graded hammer action mechanism creates the right clonation of the Grand Piano. 88 keys, Dynamic rubber contacts, Monophonic Aftertouch available, Escpament Mechanical Touch Feeling.

snax

#2747587 - 01/18/16 06:53 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: ElmerJFudd]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Picked up my Piano 2s HA88s for ~$2K each. Love'em -- they do one thing very well without weighing a ton. Anything else requires another board.

Same sort of deal with my E4Ds -- you buy them as clonewheels, anything else you can do with them is a bonus.

If we want to pick apart Nord's offerings for do-it-all stage controllers, the best target is the Nord Stage 2EX.

The Piano 3's new action and expanded memory look moderately useful, but likely not enough to trigger an upgrade on my part. The Nord Piano 2 will likely be the sweeter deal before too long when street prices for lightly used hit ~$1500 or so.

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2747593 - 01/18/16 07:14 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: ITGITC?]
Jazzooo Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
That textured keyboard sure resembles the Casio PX5s--I love that feature, actually.

#2747598 - 01/18/16 07:30 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Alexander Nagel]
Dana. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brooklyn
Users said they wanted a better action and Nord delivered. thu

#2747626 - 01/18/16 09:45 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Alexander Nagel]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Will probably get to play it on Thursday or Friday, depending which day we decide to go down. Great that Nord is listening to the overwhelming clamoring for an improved piano action. I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out, but even if it a vast improvement, not really looking to change over from the CP4.

When I have to play an electronic keyboard to emulate an acoustic piano (groan) on a gig, the Yamaha CFX is working as well as can be expected. And then coupled with the action, I haven't found anything (yet) I can get around better on.

Like my friend said the other day - pick your poison. Whatever it is, we won't be happy in the long run. cry

We both agreed , just do the gig, get it over with (it'll be over before you know it) and get back to the confines of your studio, where your probably making more music anyway.

Edited by Dave Ferris (01/18/16 10:59 AM)

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2747711 - 01/18/16 02:56 PM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Dave Ferris]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Must admit, though I probably won't be buying this, listening to the streaming demo at the top of the page underlined the quality of the samples in this machine against other contenders, albeit with the top-end thinness which still appears to pervade, although I've not had the chance to try out the Silver Grand.

#2747747 - 01/18/16 05:16 PM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Aidan]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Aidan
...I've not had the chance to try out the Silver Grand.

That's what I'm using in my NE3HP. thu

#2747808 - 01/18/16 08:41 PM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: ITGITC?]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Originally Posted By: ITGITC?
...I've not had the chance to try out the Silver Grand.

That's what I'm using in my NE3HP. thu

I recently started using this one and like it a lot. May replace the Bright Grand for me.

#2747827 - 01/19/16 02:59 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Aidan]
Alexander Nagel Offline

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Must admit, though I probably won't be buying this, listening to the streaming demo at the top of the page underlined the quality of the samples in this machine against other contenders, albeit with the top-end thinness which still appears to pervade, although I've not had the chance to try out the Silver Grand.

The Imperial and Bright Grand were my favorites before. I needed quite a while to get used to it, but now the Silver Grand is by far my favorite sound. It does NOT thin out going upwards. It works especially good in mono too when using the right channel output only (the "mono output" button does not sound good at all to my ears).

#2747830 - 01/19/16 03:21 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Alexander Nagel]
Bachus Offline

I am still hoping for a Stage 3 somewhere next year...
With the triple sensor action
16GB of flash freely assignable to both piano and other samples
The synth engine of the lead 4
All organs sounds of the c2d and the elektro 5
A nice screen with a bit more information
8 freely assignable endless encoders for controlling VST
Real drawbars

Edited by Bachus (01/19/16 03:22 AM)

#2747839 - 01/19/16 04:14 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Bachus]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Stage 3 will be coming for sure. Just as the Stage 2 is the amalgamation of the Piano/Electro/Leads 2/3/2X so the Stage 3 will be an amalgamation of the Piano/Electro/Lead 3/5/4(A1). Get the all components working in isolation before trying to cram them into one box!

#2747840 - 01/19/16 04:25 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: MorayM]
analogholic Offline
Gold Member

The Electro got a new model and now the NP....it's only the the Stage left now (not counting the EX upgrade). So it's gonna come for sure now when they have very stiff competition from new models from Kurzweil, GSI/Crumar and Yamaha.
Question is when?

#2747843 - 01/19/16 04:39 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: analogholic]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Given the timings of the Stage 2EX announcement and the Piano 3, I'd be surprised if it was before Summer NAMM.

#2747861 - 01/19/16 06:40 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Bachus]
sMatt Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Real drawbars

YES! boing

#2747863 - 01/19/16 07:01 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Bachus]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Real drawbars

Hate to rain on the parade here but....I don't think there is a room for a Nord Lead 4 engine and 8 new rotary encoders without significantly increasing the depth of the keyboard and changing the layout strategy. If you look at the difference in width between a Nord Lead 4 synth panel and the Stage EX synth panel, it is at least an octave width. Now look at the Stage Compact EX and see that there isn't an octave width to spare.

In any case, I suspect the above would price them out of the market. We have already seen that Nord's attempt to sell the Stage 2 EX for $500 more than the original Stage 2 was short lived.

Hope I'm wrong and you get what you are asking for.

Personally, I would rather them keep the simple synth they have but add multi-layer sampling. That wouldn't take any real-estate and would offer me the chance to leave my second board (MOXF) at home for some things. Nord's single layer samples are not competitive with modern ROMplers.

Edited by Sam Mullins (01/19/16 09:40 AM)

#2747867 - 01/19/16 07:23 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Bachus]
Spider76 Offline

Real drawbars

The stage has always been the one-keyboard compendium of other Clavia technologies implemented individually in their specialized models.

Now that they adopted a new piano action, it looks like a no-brainer to include it in the future Stage, together with the OLED screen, increased memory (though not 16 gb for sure), latest organs and probably drawbars at least in the semiweighted model.

Synth engine? Who knows, probably something derived from the lead A1 (which was actually inspired by the stage 2 synth section), more than the 4.

What I would REALLY like is more multitimbrality especially for the synth section. While having 2 pianos and 2 organs is often more than enough, I've often been limited by only being able to play 2 synth/samples at the same time.

As for the rest, I really don't see programmable encoders for driving VSTs. The stage never wanted to be a workstation, and Clavia in general always focused strictly on live playing.

As for the time... The Stage2EX was released last year and they always wait 2-3 years between models. So I wouldn't expect a Stage 3 before 2017, and wouldn't be surprised in the least if it is released in 2018.

#2747875 - 01/19/16 08:06 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Sam Mullins]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sam Mullins
In any case, I suspect the above would price them out of the market. We have already seen that Nord's attempt to sell the Stage 2 EX for $500 more than the original Stage 2 was short lived.

And also under the heading of marketing, no one has mentioned that Nord dropped the HP model when they introduced the Piano 3.

I guess that serious pianists didn't care for the TP100 action, and/or fewer keys. idk

#2747877 - 01/19/16 08:11 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: Sam Mullins]
colourisred Offline

Loc: Germany
... Nord's single layer samples are not competitive with modern ROMplers.

... which reminds me that at least two layer sounds easily could be achieved if they only offered something like a "inverse" envelope, so that by increasing velocity the sound from one slot disappears while the sound of the second slot gets more and more prominent.

#2747884 - 01/19/16 09:16 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: colourisred]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
I look forward to trying the NP3, though I am more of a NS guy myself. I've been hoping for the NS3, though with their other recent products and the NS2EX, it seems like it could still be a year away...but Nord has been known for having surprises up their sleeve!

Regarding the NS3 and its feature set, there has been a lot of online banter about this. I'm generally in agreement with some of the wish list items out there, though I've posted in the past that maybe they could simplify it a bit by having a somewhat standard suite of assignable knobs for each portion of the instrument, vs. one knob for every parameter. They could simplify the UI and maybe pack more horsepower elsewhere. Just a thought. In terms of what I'd like to see in the NS3, here are a few:

- 3 panels (3x organ, 3x piano, 3x synth/sample, 3x external)
- Draw faders
- Large OLED
- Next generation models for organs and Leslie sim, making them the new "best in breed" for Nord
- Reimagined EP/clav architecture based on samples and models with more control of parameters like some of the software models
- Simpler UI with more LED encoders that are assignable (in lieu of the larger quantity of small knobs
- Option for the new action/capability of the NP3
- HP and HA actions available for 76 key, along with the Compact SW action

I probably missed a few, but that's my main wish list for the NS3.

#2747890 - 01/19/16 09:31 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: eric]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I have no dog in this at all but I wish Clavia would give you poor Nords guys more controller functionality and better live patch management tool in your Stages and Nord Pianos.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2747891 - 01/19/16 09:31 AM Re: NORD Piano 3 being announced officially [Re: colourisred]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Spider76
Now that they adopted a new piano action, it looks like a no-brainer to include it in the future Stage

Not a no-brainer... I'd say it also depends on how amenable that action is to organ playing. The current weighted Stage action is better than most for playing organ, and I think that's part of what they are aiming for in that model.

Originally Posted By: colourisred
... Nord's single layer samples are not competitive with modern ROMplers.

... which reminds me that at least two layer sounds easily could be achieved if they only offered something like a "inverse" envelope

Or a velocity-based morph between the two slots, or other similar setting that would allow the synth sound in one slot to repsond below a certain velocity, while the other responds above it.

Originally Posted By: eric
3 panels (3x organ, 3x piano, 3x synth/sample, 3x external)

Nord always goes for "how to do the most common things most easily" rather than "how to let people do whatever they want" -- I don't think very many people every need to split/layer three different organ sounds, or three different pianos sound. So I would be surprised to see them move that direction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner