Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

"Danger - Explosives". A long exposure night photo of a rock house used to store explosives in the Alabama Hills, built in to the side of a mountain. All illumination and colored lights were done with a handheld flashlight during the exposure, and is not a post-processing creation.

9018kenlee_2015-11-24_0111_140sf8iso200-4000k_alabamahills-explosivesrockhouse-closeup-1000px.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! That's awesome, Linda. :)

Merry Christmas from Texas, y'all.

14623921147_e967f4d740_b.jpgIMG_5930 by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That is lovely, Joe!

I have a friend who moved from Lubbock to Houston over a year ago. From what I saw on the news, Lubbock is being inundated with snow for Christmas.

:crazy::)

And it's 82° in Houston today. :)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

OMG Guys, I am head-over-heels in love...........................with my new Fuji XT-1!!!!!!!! :love::love::love:

Wow! I was very excited about getting a proper camera at last, but I had absolutely NO idea of how shockingly good it would be - and how different to taking pics on my phone.

I don't know if it is because it is mirrorless or not, but when you look through that big bright viewfinder (which seems, Tardis-like, to be far far bigger than can actually be possible in a camera of that size), it is like entering another world. It feels quite a bit like the first time you go snorkelling: you look under the water and suddenly you are part of another world which you never knew existed. Absolutely amazing! i have always massively enjoyed my photography, but this is something else completely, on a totally different plane, and I had no idea that it would be like this.

Ken: sincere thanks for the suggestion. I love the camera already and basically haven't a clue what it does or how to get the best from it. But it just feels great. I kept trying to look at one in a shop but never succeeded (just like my keyboard purchases....) so got a lovely surprise today. :)

I have taken a few photos. You would be shocked if I told you how long it took me to have the slightest clue how to focus it.... i think I like manually focussing it best - but I need to get better at it....and everything else.

Anyways, I hope you will put up with various of my experiments appearing here from time to time........ hopefully I will improve at some point. :-)

Happy Christmas to all of you! xx

23865033232_a6124f600d_b.jpgChristmas Day 2015 by Anne, on Flickr

23890929321_8ae361553c_b.jpgChristmas bauble..... by Anne, on Flickr

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Congrats, Anne! You're really going to go crazy in this thread now. Just don't forget to practice your piano once in a while. ;)

Congratulations Anne! Really great camera that's been lighting up the photographic community, with a lot of people really enamored by how good it is.

:) Thanks Linda, Richie, Joe & Ken! It's really nice to be able to vent some of my enthusiasm here with you!! I haven't touched a keyboard for three days, Joe! :o But that's about as long as I can go without getting withdrawal symptoms so I'll get back to my piano tomorrow (and maybe take pic or two of it...... :) )

All of you guys are way ahead of me. I have a Nikon CoolPix. I do okay with that, I suppose.

I also wish Google Photos would let me display my pictures in the forums like everyone else, but they give you a link to the album to share and then it is up to everyone to click "clonk" on it if they are curious enough to see it.

Three days, Anne? I have gone longer than that, but I do understand about the withdrawals. Look forward to seeing your new gear take a picture of your gear!

:)

Thanks Brad! Great to see you in this remote corner of the KC! :) Nothing sad about your camera whatsoever IMHO. - remember your are talking to someone who, until yesterday, was using only a phone; and prior to that, a non-Mini iPad...... I know that photography is worth doing and can be enjoyed whatever gear you have (.....although I have just found out that with a nice camera it is possible to enjoy it even more..... ;) )

All of you guys are way ahead of me. I have a Nikon CoolPix. I do okay with that, I suppose.

I also wish Google Photos would let me display my pictures in the forums like everyone else, but they give you a link to the album to share and then it is up to everyone to click "clonk" on it if they are curious enough to see it.

Three days, Anne? I have gone longer than that, but I do understand about the withdrawals. Look forward to seeing your new gear take a picture of your gear!

:)

Join Flickr Linda, and then you will be able to display your photos here. It is free and quite nice to use. :)

I guess it groups all of these together (see above link) even if they were taken on different dates?

Anyway, the first 19 are the Portland Japanese Gardens and the last 11 are the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Gardens and Duck Ponds.

I will have to learn how to get these in separate albums.

:idk :)

So your main photo stream is default organized by date that you upload an image. It will always contain every image you upload to flickr. You can create Albums to organize your images and if you want to just link to a specific set of images.

For example, this link takes you to my photostream, which is every image I've uploaded to flickr so far. This link takes you to an album that I've created.

Also, you can embed images here on the forum pretty easily. When you open an image, at the bottom right of the screen, there is an arrow for sharing the picture to various social networks. You will see an option for BBCode that will auto-generate everything you need to embed an image here, just copy and paste the text. You can also choose how large of an image you want to display (we try to keep the maximum dimension to around 1024 pixels here)

So, my only problem with the lovely Fuji so far - and I would have this problem with every camera I guess - it that it is extremely right handed (and I am extremely left handed). The big grip is on the right but I keep finding myself holding it by the left (with no grip) and turning the rings on the lens with my right hand......which really needs to be near the dials etc....

How do you others who are left handed also, cope? Joe....Brad.... Anyone else?? Do you try to use it left handed or just get used to it.

Also, is it best to hold the big lens from underneath (thumb away from you) or over the top (thumb near you)? I find my thumb is near me, but it all feels awkward ATM so I won't be surprised if this is wrong....

Finally, eye does everyone look through? For some reason I look through my right eye....which seems to work quite well. I tried to look through the left eye and it seemed to make my neck twist round much too far.....

Oh...and one more newbie question..... My camera has a large lens shield thing which fits round the end of the lens - I presume to keep the sun or rain off it or something. (Not the lens cap - this is a big cylindrical thing).

I haven't put it on yeti I have mostly been using it indoors (and I forgot about it when I took it outdoors). When would you tend to use that? Would you ever use it indoors?

How do you others who are left handed also, cope? Joe....Brad.... Anyone else?? Do you try to use it left handed or just get used to it.
I'm not left handed so I'll defer to others who might be.

Also, is it best to hold the big lens from underneath (thumb away from you) or over the top (thumb near you)? I find my thumb is near me, but it all feels awkward ATM so I won't be surprised if this is wrong....

I keep my thumb near me, but vary between overhand (palm out) and underhand (palm in).

Underhand example.

Overhand example

I don't know that there is a right way - I just go with whatever feels comfortable for the lens I'm using and angle the camera is being held at.

Finally, eye does everyone look through? For some reason I look through my right eye....which seems to work quite well. I tried to look through the left eye and it seemed to make my neck twist round much too far.....

I use my right eye. Again, go with whatever feels comfortable - there's no right answer here.

Oh...and one more newbie question..... My camera has a large lens shield thing which fits round the end of the lens - I presume to keep the sun or rain off it or something. (Not the lens cap - this is a big cylindrical thing).

I haven't put it on yeti I have mostly been using it indoors (and I forgot about it when I took it outdoors). When would you tend to use that? Would you ever use it indoors?

That is a lens hood. It's generally for preventing unwanted light from getting into the lens from the side, which can cause lens flare. It also can help protect the front element of the lens from damage.

I never got in the habit of using mine. I find them to be a bit annoying to carry around.