Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DMC 122 Audition

Went to Dave Bryce's house to test drive the DMC 122. He had it set up next to a new Mojo for a very interesting A/B demo. The VB3 engines sounded identical (no surprise there).

The big difference between the two are the keyboards. The New Mojo keyboard plays like heaven! Maybe the best feeling keyboard since the XK3. Don't get me wrong, the DMC 122 has a very nice action as well, but for a strict HAMMOND player, the Mojo rocks!

That being said, the DMC 122 action is a nice balance for playing piano and other instrument sounds, exactly what the DMC 122 is built to do.

Dave had the Gemini board installed and it sounded great! Love the EPs and the synth pads. However, if I decide to purchase one it will be sans Gemini as I only need VB3 and some MainStage sounds.

Tonight I will give it a test run at my rehearsal just using the editor with the VB3 software. Tomorrow I will see how friendly it is with MainStage.

More to come after tonight... So far, very impressed.

By the way, Dave has an incredible studio! And what a nice guy! Love this community.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe so... But I am not using the Gemini (even though it's loaded in Dave's DMC 122)... just the DMC122 with the outboard VB3(2) running on my MacBook Pro.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks, Dave(s)!

I think the Mojo is more on my radar for the action reason. I think I'd cover everything else with my Casio PX-5S when appropriate.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The New Mojo keyboard plays like heaven! Maybe the best feeling keyboard since the XK3.

Numa also has altered the action from the original Numa Organ to the Numa Organ 2, I wonder if they are using the same variation of the Fatar action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The big difference between the two are the keyboards. The New Mojo keyboard plays like heaven! Maybe the best feeling keyboard since the XK3.

I told ya so!!

It blows the XK3 action away. Why? Because the XK3 pushes back to strongly. A good 1950s to mid 1960s Hammond doesn't do that. Some later models do and I hate those.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

So it went pretty well last night at rehearsal. As Dave warned me the DMC122 takes a little time to get organized with your computer. I was using my MacBook Pro and had a few moments on uncertainty trying to set it up. But once up it ran very well (for the most part). I had some funky cables that may have caused some glitches, but I will be able to test it more fully today under controlled conditions in my home studio (certainly not the pig sty that West LA Studios offer... Although I must admit that last night I realized that I too could be a lead singer for a Death Metal band, I think I missed my calling,)

So upon arriving at the studio I lifted the DMC122 out of its semi hard case that is sold as an option. I think that Guido should come up with a nice rolling soft case for this product. The hard case adds just enough pounds to make it difficult for me to lift out of my car. Thank god it has wheels!

I love the side decorative strips on the keyboard. They make wonderful handles to lift the keyboard out of its case and place it on the stand. You can also grab the sides during a particularly intense segment of the song and just hang on! Somehow it makes the DMC 122 feel extremely stable. (That's right, I am speaking to you, HAMMOND Suzuki)

My bandmates loved the design of the DMC122. They all flocked over to see what this shiny brushed aluminum keyboard was. They also dug the sound (Even though I was playing without my right index finger that got cushed in my x stand, but I digress).

I plugged the USB into the MacBook Pro, then my headphone out into the crappy old fender studio amp that has been abused all its life by death metal teens running it on 11. Yes, that was my first BIG mistake. To tell you the truth, I was not expecting Dave to offer me trying it out on my own, so I did not bring one of my EVs. It sounded great through Dave's magnificent sound system in his house, and to tell you the truth, it sounded pretty damn good even through that crappy studio amp. Understand, all this is running in mono!

I had no chance to dig into the VB3 adjustments... I will be doing that today. The defaults sounded pretty good so I just stuck with them. There are a lot of presets but I just set it on A1 and flew.

Quick impressions from last night. Well, this f**cker has BALLS! Damn! It sounded very, very good. There is a weightiness of tone that I have not heard from the SK's. The overdrive is sublime. And the Leslie sim is very good (I am interested to see if the horn balance can be changed).

I didn't mind the keyboard feel too much. Yes, it's softer and stiffer than I would have liked, but it is a good compromise for piano and organ playing. I had no problem playing the parts for Hush on it. You can slap it around and it's very responsive. But I still would have preferred that magnificent Mojo feel.

Today's longer review will allow more critical testing. But so far, so good.

Mitch or Dave,

I'm thinking about getting a Gemini modul (19 inch version) when available.

One question in advance: Does the Gemini VB3 Version has a midi learn function for controller assignment ?

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Dave,

Check out the different tonewheel sets. They are really varied. My personal Hammond organs were modeled and are #4 (1956 B3) and #13 (1962 A100).

Unfortunately this is not possible. I just learned from Andrea that the version of the VB3 editor that comes with the DMC122 is a plain vanilla version with no tweakable parameters. You get one organ with no way to change the leslie balance, speed, etc. I am sure that this will satisfy most of the musicians who are buying the DMC122 as a multi-instrument controller... but maybe not our most die-hard Hammond nuts.

That being said, the full version of VB3 comes with the Gemini.

By the way, Dave has an incredible studio! And what a nice guy!

You're way too kind, brother...was great to meet you as well... :cool:

Thanks for taking the time to drive up, Dave - it's always a pleasure to be able to associate a face and voice with a forum member! :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Mitch or Dave,

One question in advance: Does the Gemini VB3 Version has a midi learn function for controller assignment ?

We created www.gsidsp.com: this is a web-simulation of what you can do with GEMINI. If you visit it and click on "View MIDI CC Map" you are in the MIDI MAP page, just click on the "?" icon on top right: a popup with explanation of what you can do on that page will appear.

So, the answer to your question is, yes, GEMINI can read the CC messages sent by your controller and you can assign them to what you need.

www.gsidsp.com is a very powerful "pre-buying help system": you can navigate it freely and you can always click on the "?" icon in the various pages, a popup with explanation will appear. You can get an idea of what you can do with GEMINI before buying it without downloading and reading the manual.

Andrea

www.crumar.it

info@crumar.it

I picked up a Hammond 1961 A 102 recently that has hardly been played. It must have been some sort of showpiece in someone's house... I'm not sure.

These keybeds " push back strongly" to use Mitch's words. I go back and forth between my Numa and this A 102 and there is not that much difference.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with the people at Crumar giving us something with a more broken in feel.

A MAJORITY of tonewheel Hammonds are at least 50 years old. There is bound to be some change in the key resistance.

I actually welcomed the Numa keybed to some degree because of the resistance, which I believe helped lessen a tendency I have to absorb some shock when I am playing- especially playing live. I tend to hit too hard sometimes, and was getting some problems from playing on Hammonds.

I am looking forward to going to NAMM to check out some of the newest Crumar offferings.

Mitch or Dave,

We created www.gsidsp.com: this is a web-simulation of what you can do with GEMINI. If you visit it and click on "View MIDI CC Map" you are in the MIDI MAP page, just click on the "?" icon on top right: a popup with explanation of what you can do on that page will appear.

So, the answer to your question is, yes, GEMINI can read the CC messages sent by your controller and you can assign them to what you need.

www.gsidsp.com is a very powerful "pre-buying help system": you can navigate it freely and you can always click on the "?" icon in the various pages, a popup with explanation will appear. You can get an idea of what you can do with GEMINI before buying it without downloading and reading the manual.

Andrea

Thanks Andrea, that's great !

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Oh, I am sold on Crumar/Genuine Soundware products! I think it's great that this company is listening to musicians and have developed two great products that meet the needs of both Hammond nuts and multi-instrumentalists.

So I just hooked it all up to my EV's in my studio. All I can say is WOW! Even without the fine editing capabilities of the full blown VB3, this baby is as good, if not better than any Hammond clone I have ever heard. Great Leslie and overdrive sim, and a lovely range of tonality up and down the keyboard.

I will be auditioning the Gemini board later this evening.

The more I play this keyboard the more I like it. Been exploring the Gemini today and am loving the editability of the VB3 engine. Dialed in the Leslie just as I like it. I am trying to find the different organs but so far have not found them. In the meanwhile I do love the basic organ that comes on with the Jazz Organ preset. The percussion sounds fantastic, but I don't see where that is editable (although like I said, who needs to edit it?)

I am playing through the sounds and they are very good. The Wurlie sounds quite authentic (which is important to me as I basically play Hammond, AP, and Wurlie in my band,) I have never enjoyed playing piano on a clone keyboard, but this keyboard makes it quite tolerable. Considering 90% of the sounds I use are B3, I could deal with it for a few songs.

One reason that Andrea told me yesterday about GSI not making a soft case gives me pause regarding the DMC122. The decorative handles on the sides of the keyboard are quite exposed when moving, so they may incur damage in a soft case. Again, this makes me lean towards the Mojo for my own personal needs. Yes, I am old... And every pound helps. But damn... This keyboard is sexy!

One reason that Andrea told me yesterday about GSI not making a soft case gives me pause regarding the DMC122. The decorative handles on the sides of the keyboard are quite exposed when moving, so they may incur damage in a soft case. Again, this makes me lean towards the Mojo for my own personal needs. Yes, I am old... And every pound helps. But damn... This keyboard is sexy!

You may already know, but I wanna make sure - the Mojo can also do sounds other than tonewheel (EPs, combo organ, synth bass), with one sound on one keyboard and one sound on the other. You can even simultaneously play the synth bass layered on top of the EP on the lower manual...and control the synth bass filter and envelope with the drawbars.

The Mojo is badass. :thu:

dB

You may already know, but I wanna make sure - the Mojo can also do sounds other than tonewheel (EPs, combo organ, synth bass), with one sound on one keyboard and one sound on the other.
How do the EPs especially compare with those in the DMC?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Some final thoughts as Dave's DMC122 is all packed up and ready for UPS (by the way, why is it that when you specify that the package can't be picked up until 3PM, they go ahead and show up at noon anyway?)... Grrr...

Anyway, this is a great instrument. Very well built with quality materials. If you are into the whole aluminum/gray stainless steel thing, this sure whets one's appetite! Yeah, like a Delorean... I get it!

All the control surfaces are top quality. The keybed is tight and feels great (although this will be a matter of personal taste). The wheels feel good, the buttons have a nice tactile feedback, and the drawbars are NOT draw-faders (sorry Hammond/Suzuki, but we shall always be apart until you admit your mistake by returning to your roots! It's blasphemy that you went to the cheap drawfader compromise and allow small companies like GSI and Crumar to continue on the righteous path of drawbar heaven.)

As I mentioned above, the basic DMC122 comes with a very simple version of VB3II. You can't really edit any of the parameters. This may not be a big deal as the organ still sounds great! However, I would like to edit the Leslie parameters as I like a closer miked sound plus slow ramp up and ramp down times.

Plus, lugging your laptop with you is a pain and just creates another variable to go wrong. There is always the danger of a software glitch like I experienced during rehearsal when my USB cable crapped out on me. Stuck notes and rebooting in the middle of a song is never fun.

So if you buy the DMC122, then it seems to be almost a no-brainer to also purchase the Gemini board ($900). It holds the full version of VB3II, plus has some terrific EP's, synths, combo organs, strings, mellotrons (yes, you heard that from me!), basses, and much more. It is really designed for the musician who requires top notch sounds to cover almost any style of music.

The keybed is a very good compromise from organ to percussive instruments like piano. My friend Austin came by last night to check it out. In his band he plays a mixture of Hammond, AP, and EP. He said that he liked the feel of the action.

For those intimidated by the programming of a good flexible controller, then this may not be for you. I have weighed my own needs and may just pass and buy a Mojo instead. This decision will be on my mind for the next few days. But for those who need a top quality controller and would like the best B3 emulation around, the DMC122 is a great choice... especially for $1500!

So with the module you are at $2400 for a dual manual clone? That is reasonable.

Plus you got wheels and the interface to control your synths, either modules or software.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

So with the module you are at $2400 for a dual manual clone?

....with a bunch of other onboard engines. :thu:

What little time I spent playing the synth was quite enticing. I'm interested to dig in when the unit comes back...but so far everything I heard (strings, brass, leads) sounded excellent.

dB

So with the module you are at $2400 for a dual manual clone?

....with a bunch of other onboard engines. :thu:

What little time I spent playing the synth was quite enticing. I'm interested to dig in when the unit comes back...but so far everything I heard (strings, brass, leads) sounded excellent.

dB

+1

Which is what makes the choice so difficult...