Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Audition tonight ... #2735243 11/17/15 02:53 PM
EddiePlaysBass Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I know. Still on the first page of this forum is a thread of mine in which I state: "No bands for a year!" Yet tonight (at 10PM ...) I have an audition of sorts rolleyes

The drummer is a guy I know through my girlfriend (brother to a friend of hers) and with whom I got to talking years back about music and bands and how we should play together sometime. Me being who I am, I let him down a few times.

Recently he contacted me again - must be desperate for a bass player - and asked if I could at least come along and play some tunes with this new band of his. He calls it a cross between Led Zeppelin and Queens Of The Stone Age. Two bands which initially get me excited, until I actually listen to their repertoire. Sorry, fans ...

Anyway, I gave him my word so I will show up and play my best lines tonight. No clue what to expect, it's all originals so I have nothing to prepare. If I like em, I will be in trouble because they can either rehearse from 7PM to 10PM or 10PM to 1AM on Tuesdays. Something tells me they are all unemployed ... Anyway, either schedules won't work for me - and I told the drummer this ...

To be continued!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour
BP Island
Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2735264 11/17/15 05:28 PM
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: EddiePlaysBass
Y He calls it a cross between Led Zeppelin and Queens Of The Stone Age.

Yeah, I would totally hit that.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"
Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: jcadmus] #2735366 11/18/15 07:59 AM
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G.L.W.I.E!!!!!

smile

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music
The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!
Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: The Geoff] #2735390 11/18/15 11:44 AM
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
So, have you officially joined them yet? Or quit? Or rejoined?

(all love, my friend) hitt poke

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: The Geoff] #2735397 11/18/15 12:00 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Somewhat to my surprise, I had a great time last night! The drummer turned out less good than I had hoped, and we would need some time to gell - part of the reason being these are originals and he is not sure of what he will play, either smile

Singer was enthusiastic, but not very good. Not bad, either though! If he does on stage what he does during their rehearsals, it will at least be entertaining smile He also apparently decorates the rehearsal room (which they rent) with lamps and stuff to create a nice mood grin Weirdo, but I liked him immediately.

The guitarist is pretty good. Looked a bit weird (and st*ned) when he walked in but once he realized that yes, I do know what a 12-bar (with a quick IV) implies, and I speak music (as in thirds and fifths) instead of fretboard numbers (as in fret three on string five) he warmed up a lot. Halfway through one of their songs he complimented me on being an "actual bassist" and not a guitarist trying to play bass. In fact, most of the evening he complimented me smile I of course was not satisfied with my own playing, but who ever is?

Apparently they have tried out several bass players so far, including a kid who bought a bass a week prior to trying out (ballsy!) but I am the first one where they liked what I was doing.

Mind you, I was mostly copying the guitar riffs and trying to keep up with the drums. Told them I am NOT a flashy player and would rather play fewer notes than overplay by 1 note. Guitarist commented: "He's saying all the right things!"

It was more fun than I anticipated but they have a second candidate for next week. I told them to go ahead and have him come over. You never know who walks in, could be they totally love him. Told the drummer today that I would love to jam with them again in two weeks - provided he sends over recordings from last night so I can prepare a bit.

Also told him we will have to make agreements on rehearsal hours, IF I join. They can keep 10PM if it works for them, but I will only rehearse for 2 hours then. Tell em up front and such. Not trying to be all prima donna but I think it's best to get all this out in the open up front. I am trying a whole new assertive, honest approach...

Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: Danzilla] #2735401 11/18/15 12:22 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Danzilla
So, have you officially joined them yet? Or quit? Or rejoined?

(all love, my friend) hitt poke

Haha, no - wait for it, though! I have decided to be smarter about it this time wink Hence requesting the recordings (in the heat of the moment things can sound better), and a second get-together to discuss the practical side (I do not want to call them "my terms & conditions" or any such nonsense).

Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2735467 11/18/15 05:02 PM
Richard W Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
might be the first time "actual bassist" was meant as a compliment. laugh

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy
Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: Richard W] #2735583 11/19/15 07:39 AM
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well, Good-Oh!!! as they say. Hope it gels for you if that's what you're looking for.

My bunch of first-timers and rank amateurs is just about ready to do its first gig - that's a year we've taken, but it actually sounds ok now. We have about 3 sets' worth.

I did about the same amount of material (more, in fact) with a fairly professional bunch about 6 months ago, in about 12 weeks, but the very good guitarist left, and the project crashed & burned.

Hope things stay enjoyable for you.

G.

Last edited by The Geoff; 11/19/15 07:39 AM.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix
Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: The Geoff] #2741439 12/17/15 05:05 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
I thought about it, for a good long while, and decided that this is not the band for me. The idea of being in a band again and the excitement of playing with other people again clouded my judgement and blinded me to what I really want. So I rejected their offer to join and decided to stay bandless for a while longer.

Three weeks after that decision, I get a FB message from a guitar player asking if I would like to join his cover band rolleyes Have not replied yet but I wonder why life keep throwing bands my way. It's like there's some sort of message there or something, Idunno ...

Re: Audition tonight ... [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2741450 12/17/15 10:07 AM
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Fair 'nuff!!

smile

G.