Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) #2729155 10/20/15 01:30 PM
zeronyne Offline OP
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hello, Lowdowners,

As one of your admins, I feel guilty that I have not participated actively as of late. I assure you that I read and enjoy your posts, and I've managed to clip a spammer or two when the other esteemed admins are away from their computers.

I was cleaning up a bunch of URLs that I own, and I came across this one:

The Lowdown Project

(click on Seattle to get into it)

For those of you who don't know the history:

I acquired a Behringer "tribute" to the SansAmp BDDI eight (!) years ago. It surprised me in that it was not a complete waste of plastic and poor soldering. So as a fun forum-teamwork exercise, I took it upon myself to send it on a world tour. I packaged it up with a fresh battery and a diary (for you youngsters, it's like a blog but not on a computer), and asked for participants.

To make a long story short, it started in Seattle, and it was hilarious. This was so long ago that there are links to their MySpace pages...LOL. Check out the great entries. I added some artistic license, but the words are theirs. Obviously, the pages look circa 1990, but that's because I suck. After Seattle, though, the project fell apart, and I never got the diary back (or the broken BDI21).

But that's all water under the bridge. If I was going to cry over it, I never would have started this project.

So let's start it again. As you can see by the maps on my poor excuse for a splash page, the intention was to send it around the world. Let's see if we can do that this time. Cameras are ubiquitous, as are tracking numbers and emails, so we can eschew the paper diary.

So this is not an official kickoff...it's a feeler. I'd like to collect the names, email addresses, and physical addresses of Lowdowners that would like to participate by committing to:

1. Receiving the pedal.
2. Using the pedal and submitting a honest review.
3. Taking pictures with the pedal, "Flat Stanley" style. Please see the site for examples.
4. Sending me the photos and text.
5. Sending me a bio or links to your projects, bands, FB, or whatnot.
6. Sending me back the pedal WITHIN 10 DAYS. This is the most important part. I will be sending it to each person at my own expense. If you cannot afford to send it back or if you anticipate life issues that would prevent you from sending it back in a timely fashion, please wait until you can commit.
There will be a few exceptions if a few of you live in the same metropolitan area and can exchange it by hand.

I'll be collecting information until November 15th. If there is little or no interest, I totally understand...life is chaos, and maybe things like this have jumped the shark. Personally, I think it would be fun.

What underrated pedal do you think we should try?

"For instance" is not proof.
BP Island
Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: zeronyne] #2729225 10/20/15 05:16 PM
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Can it get shipped with The Shirt? Like a LDLD Reunion tour!

I'm certainly up for it. While I'm playing guitar in a band right now, I am starting to play bass at church again, so I could definitely give it a workout, whatever "it" may be.

One bit of wisdom - perhaps start it after the first of the year? If the 10 day turn-around time is crucial, the holiday pace of November & December might throw a wrench into your plans.

As to what pedal...

Something from Joyo, Mooer, or a low-end Electro Harmonix?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: Danzilla] #2729353 10/21/15 07:16 AM
Flemtone Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Sign me up for NJ, brah. Whatever gear you'd like to try, although I'm still looking for a good envelope filter. I'm pretty sure there are still a bunch of fellow local Lowdowners, so hand-passing is a definite possibility. When would you like me to PM the info to you?

Play. Just play.
Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: zeronyne] #2729452 10/21/15 02:34 PM
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: zeronyne

What underrated pedal do you think we should try?

I'm not much of a pedal guy, but I kinda like my Ibanez Soundtank Superchorus -- sounds pretty good for a cheap-o pedal.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"
Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: jcadmus] #2729524 10/21/15 06:07 PM
Seamy ALB Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aye I'm in!!

Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: Seamy ALB] #2729526 10/21/15 06:18 PM
zeronyne Offline OP
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yes, please PM me your info. And definitely the start of 2016 may be a better idea.

"For instance" is not proof.
Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: zeronyne] #2729575 10/21/15 10:37 PM
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm in. No preference on pedals. But maybe a multi-effects with a zillion memories, and each cat programs one of the memories and creates a catchy name. Mine will be named "Zombie Otto" if there's enough characters.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.
https://soundcloud.com/paul-kempkes
Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: Paul K] #2731274 10/29/15 03:47 PM
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I think we should swap around a Way Huge Piercing Moose.

I don't know what it is, I don't know what it does. I just like the name.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"
Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: jcadmus] #2731310 10/29/15 06:08 PM
jeremy c Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I own way too many pedals and always look for a chance to try another one....especially if it has a weird name.

Various pedals I have or had include:
Way Huge Pork Loin Soft Clip Injection
Musitronics Mu-Tron III
Boss Digital Space-D
Physics Punk Pedal BitBot
Behringer Slow Motion
Zvex Distortron

Meanwhile I vote for the Akai E2 Headrush Delay/Looper pedal. A cool name and it seems like it will do a few things.

Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: jeremy c] #2734071 11/12/15 06:25 AM
Michele C. Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
If you are not covered for Italy, I volunteer for the project. I have tried a host of pedals and always ended putting them back in the drawer.
One underrated pedal of mine is the Digitech Bass Synth Wah, a very usable and good sounding synth and octaver which is not difficult to tame as more famous synths.
An other underrated pedal is the dirt cheap Joyo Ultimate Drive, which is, they say, a tribute to the OCD. It sounds really good on guitar and on bass too. Heavier than my Ibanez TS808, which is really enjoyable on bass, as it does not harm the low end the least. The Joyo costs one sixth of the TS808.
The Behringer Bass Chorus is a pedal that works and fully analog. Sounds good and does not damage the bass.
My other toys are an Akai Headrush, a looper, the EBS Octabass, and a Behringer tuner, which I do not particularly like.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)
Re: Return of the traveling pedal (maybe?) [Re: Michele C.] #2736297 11/22/15 08:13 PM
Tom Capasso Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MP Hall of Fame Member
Moderator Emeritus
MP Hall of Fame Member
I know I'm not in a unique area to help it get around the world, but if it's not too late I'll take a turn!
thanks
Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com
Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt