Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K&M Spider Pro Experiances?

I'm looking to leave my K&M 18810 stand at home to save having to take it apart and assembly it , then put it all back.

I was thinking of getting another K&M 18810 but in red, but then I saw the Spoder Pro and it got me thinking.

Does it wobble? I mean if I'm playing some Great balls of fire will it wobbly worryingly?

I've never used a column stand before so I have no experience .

I like the small footprint on a small stage, I usually face forward so I'm also wondering if the top of the column will get in the way. (I play standing and seated depending what mood I'm in)

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use one (with almost the same board as you) and have never had problems with wobbles. The arms extend so its easy to get the spacing right between the boards (e.g. you can have them far apart height wise and close into the column, or closer height wise and further out so you can still get at controls)

I play standing and the column does not get in the way. Depending upon how tall you are it could obstruct your view if you were seated.

I also have the iPad attachment which is pretty cool. The cable management is quite effective.

The advantage of the spider pro over say an Ultimate Apex is pedal room.

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

I've been using one for six or seven years and to me it's the best stand I've ever used. Never any problems with wobbling, on the contrast, the clever four-legged structure always stays stable. There are imo several big advantages over the ultimate apex stands I used for decades before this. That had the cable management clips too but they always broke off in time, these never have. The way the arms fold in to the column for storage in a truly self-contained one-piece design makes it so easy to set up, break down and transport. On the apex, you had to take the arms off and stuff them into the column through the lid at the top but I always found that the lid would eventually break off and then you'd have to take the arms in your gig bag instead and probably lose them, or even when they were in the column sometimes they'd be tough to fish out of it. The Spider Pro gets noticed and complimented on its striking on-stage look. Nothing will ever happen to the tiers, they won't get loose or slanted or break or have to be replaced. Nothing in the way for as many foot pedals as you want. Others have had different experience, this has been mine.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I do notice a small amount of bounce, but nothing when compared to an X stand. It is quite a versatile, stable stand. My only complaint is that it is heavy to lug around. Damn thing looks like a missile launcher when folded up. It is very convenient to have it fold up into one piece, though.

I got one 4 months ago and it's been an awesome upgrade from the old Apex I had been using. The wobble factor is not gone entirely but is is greatly mitigated (probably 25% that of the APEX). It shouldn't bother you. I've played Great Balls of Fire on this stand and not had any issues.

It is heavier than the APEX, but if you get the $30 K&M bag you'll find transport is a total breeze. (Once you realize the bag will only zip up if you put the stand in the right way).

My few issues:

-Unlike others here, I'm actually having a bit of an issue figuring out how to configure my pedals. I have 2 sustains on the right and one volume pedal on the left. I can't seem to get everything optimized and feeling right under this thing. I didn't have problems with the Apex.

-The writing on the side is annoying. I used black gaff tape to cover it up. But now I have black gaff tape on the side of my stand. I wish I could figure out how to remove the lettering.

-I wish I could adjust the tilt angle for the top tier. It's hard to play super technical stuff on the top angled tier.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

The regular non-Pro version of the Spider stand has a non-angled second tier. It would be a great feature if you could alter the angle although the way the SP is configured works fine for me. Another slight wish-list item for me is that while it's great that you can infinitely adjust the height of the tiers, that also means it's not calibrated so you can't really get them in the same place every time (you have to move them in order to collapse it) - you'd have to either mark up the column with ink or tape to mark your preferred tier heights, or me I just kind of figure it out with a little trial and error each time.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

I'll chime in with the others - used one for several years and never had any issues with it.

I'm not that heavy handed when playing, so I haven't experienced any wobbling. I wasn't a fan of the angled top tier either, but I lived with it, so I guess it didn't bother me that much.

Great stand all in all!

David Dyrholm - Copenhagen.

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

I have one. No problems, as long as you put it on a stable, level surface, and have all 4 legs supported.

I replaced the crummy plastic part on the top with a K&M metal one - this makes the mic stand much more sturdy. Don't know why they didn't do this as standard equipment.

Wish I could adjust the angle of the top tier.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

All sounds promising.

I tried searching on here because there was a thread a while ago about a "useless", I know it was K&M but can't remember if it was the spider pro, I just remember seeing smashed Yamaha Motif and a broken stand so hope it wasn't this one.

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

...can't remember if it was the spider pro, I just remember seeing smashed Yamaha Motif and a broken stand so hope it wasn't this one.
I'm afraid it was. dB zotzed that whole thread because of its intemperate overall tone and toxic level of snark. Tread lightly, who revisits this particular topic.

...can't remember if it was the spider pro, I just remember seeing smashed Yamaha Motif and a broken stand so hope it wasn't this one.
I'm afraid it was. dB zotzed that whole thread because of its intemperate overall tone and toxic level of snark. Tread lightly, who revisits this particular topic.

:(.

Was it a common fault or a freak one off?

Did K&M honour any warranty, I'd hate for my keys to get smashed

It would be classified as a freak fault.

Ref: the "original" thread; suffice it to say that, if you treat your stand even halfway normally, and don't do things which would cause the stand metal to tear, you will have no problem with the Spider Pro.

BTW, reference as to mark the height locations for quickly setting up your stand: I have a silver stand, and have found that just using a Sharpie marker along the center column across the top of each desired keyboard location will work fine.

Also, if you change heights, you can easily remove the Sharpie permanent marker line with something like WD40, etc.

The reason I mentioned that I have a silver stand is that I don't know if the black stand is black in that center column area or not. Would have to probably use a silver Sharpie if it is?

-The writing on the side is annoying. I used black gaff tape to cover it up. But now I have black gaff tape on the side of my stand. I wish I could figure out how to remove the lettering.

Agreed. It's a bit much - very focal on stage. I covered mine with grey gaffer tape that is very similar in color to the stand.

I use one (with almost the same board as you) and have never had problems with wobbles. The arms extend so its easy to get the spacing right between the boards (e.g. you can have them far apart height wise and close into the column, or closer height wise and further out so you can still get at controls)

I play standing and the column does not get in the way. Depending upon how tall you are it could obstruct your view if you were seated.

I also have the iPad attachment which is pretty cool. The cable management is quite effective.

I'm thinking of that exact setup .

How tidy does it look with cable etc?

At the moment I have a sheet that velcros underneath my board and hides the chaos that's going on with cables and pedals , will it allow me run 4 audio cables,2 power cables,2 sustain pedals, and a foot controller cable in the gap in the stand thought the centre?

If not I might do some DIY with Dline trunking cable management and Velcro it on the side or something.

Do you use the iPad at the top for setlist maker or just for notes?

I have one. No problems, as long as you put it on a stable, level surface, and have all 4 legs supported.

I replaced the crummy plastic part on the top with a K&M metal one - this makes the mic stand much more sturdy. Don't know why they didn't do this as standard equipment.

Wish I could adjust the angle of the top tier.

Do you have a part number for that so I can order it from thomann also ?

The cable clips are terrific, you can hide a lot of audio, power, and foot-pedal cables in there for a really clean look.

Rich Forman

Sand, prime, paint.

It's what I did a few times with my original APEX.

I sanded it down, then used a good metal primer. Wet sanded that, then sprayed on the color coat.

Krylon is good stuff to use for this.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Darn it, if my trusty 2-tier Z would ever die I wouldn't mind getting one of these...looks way, way easier to load and carry than the Z, and of course looks cooler :)

But I'm convinced the Z will still be standing in 300 years while Wall-E wonders how to compact it....and I'm too cheap to spend $ unless there's an absolute need!

(no, the Z will not meet with an "accident")

I'm thinking of that exact setup .

How tidy does it look with cable etc?

At the moment I have a sheet that velcros underneath my board and hides the chaos that's going on with cables and pedals , will it allow me run 4 audio cables,2 power cables,2 sustain pedals, and a foot controller cable in the gap in the stand thought the centre?

If not I might do some DIY with Dline trunking cable management and Velcro it on the side or something.

Do you use the iPad at the top for setlist maker or just for notes?

I use the iPad for chords currently (ultimate guitar.com app - there are better ways of doing things but it works for me)

I used to run, 4 cables from a PC3 and vent, two switch pedals, an expression pedal, power for PC3 and vent and a cable for IEMs within the stand cable management. It was a tight fit but it all just about fitted without popping out

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Was it a common fault or a freak one off?

The OP of that thread vociferously argued the former, but IIRC no one else who posted had ever experienced that particular fault. K&M were to examine the actual stand in question to determine the cause of the failure, but we did not hear the result of their investigation.

Did K&M honour any warranty

In my opinion, based on the information published in the thread, K&M were quite cooperative in attempting to address the OP's concerns, and proposed a resolution that exceeded their warranty obligations.

I have gigged the Baby Spider Pro since 2011 with no problems or issues. There is more wobble than a table stand (like the WS550), but I've never found it disconcerting or annoying. Most non-table stands I've used introduce some level of wobble - The USS V-Stand was similar in that regard.

At 5'6", I use the Baby Spider Pro for standing use (and perch the rear of my Nord Wave on the center column), and have repeatedly gotten compliments on the "look" of the solution over the years. I also use it for seated use (the shorter column of the Baby is useful for that) and as such it is my go to stand that has been in constant use, 4-7 days a week, about 40 weeks a year.

For pedals, I use a 1 x 5 strip of non-slip floor mat, stuck under the two rear legs (the two legs closest to me. Velcro hooks on the bottom of the pedals keep them securely in place, and packs into the stand bag.

Speaking of stand bags, I very quickly shredded through the K&M bag for the Baby Spider Pro which seemed pretty poorly made. I've ended up having a Studio Slips bag made, which has made my schlep much nicer. Something to think about.

I've done gaffer's tape over the lettering as well, and additionally marked the optimal height of the lower arms as well...but I purchased the stand in anodized black aluminum, so at stage distance no one's the wiser.

Thanks for that. So does this replace a part or go underneath and make it stronger?