Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PSP L'otary "Leslie" sim

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not aware of the beginnings of this thread that were posted nearly a year ago. It looks interesting.

I also do not see mention of whatever Steve was using this with. Is it safe to assume that it was VB3?

If so, it would seem to me that combination would provide most of what a person might need to get a good or even great clonewheel sound. I am still not sure what it is about VB3 that( some say) needs to be upgraded but it is a good guess that it would be leslie simulation.

So is there any issue with running VB3 and L'otray simultaneously?

I also do not see mention of whatever Steve was using this with. Is it safe to assume that it was VB3?

Yes, it is safe to assume :laugh:

Personally, I have no problem with the 32 bit version of VB3 (using 32 lives). Once I turn the VB3 sim off, I can get satisfied very quickly with the sound I get adding L'otary. If you dig back in this thread, you'll read of how it saved my butt on a session, and performed like a champ. I'm still using the real things most days, but occasionally I'm on a "no cartage" session, and it's good to have this trick in my bag.

BTW: When PSP asked for my help in the early development, I sent them "dry" files of VB3 derived audio to use for testing. While the GSI sim internal to VB3 is no longer "The Shizzel", the tones with the rotary effect switched off, sound more like real straight/direct Hammond tones than anything made by Hammond/Suzuki and most of the other clome makers (until you spend the big bucks).

Steve I bet I could also assume that you have encountered Murph Wanka at Nashville Pro Hammond if you get cartage on a lot of sessions. Murph has consulted me several times when he has needed help restoring finishes on Hammonds. That is one of the things I do on the side.

It's nice to know that there is an add on that might resolve the VB3 sim issues. The Hammond Suzuki stuff did not work for me either. Itend to prefer the clones out of Italy and not much else. The Numa 1 works for me... well documented on other posts.

Overall I like the way a good Hammond clone records. It's pretty hard to tell in a mix when a clone is skillfully programmed. And they are so flexible for adding goodies like percussion volume adjustment and overdrive.

I talked to Murph a couple times about clones and he didn't seem to like them. A real purist but thankfully he is making some good organs available for sessions where you are.

Steve I bet I could also assume that you have encountered Murph Wanka at Nashville Pro Hammond if you get cartage on a lot of sessions.

Murph has been my tech for several years now as soon as he got the nod of approval from (imho) the best there ever was, Tom Bromfield. Tom is a mad (and famously hygienically challenged) genius. However, I couldn't be happier with Murph. His work is equally excellent. He knows his sh*t inside and out, is fair and honest and actually fun to hang around. I recommend him to anyone with a sick Hammond within 500 miles of here.

BTW: Cartage here is provided for musicians by a number of companies who move, set up and tear down the musician's gear to sessions, gigs etc. Each musician chooses which company themselves, and the bills go to the record companies, publishers, etc. It's a wonderful system, which enabled me to build a collection of gear so large it was dubbed "Mount Nathan" :laugh:

I've played many of Murph's fine Hammonds, but I discovered quickly when i moved here 25 years ago that many of the studios had their own organs, and few of them sounded worthy to my ears. That's why my cartage company carries my personal one to nearly every session I do.

• 1 month later...

WOW! Just tried this plugin out today and I'm shocked how good it is... I wonder if somebody with a Ventilator could compare the two...also I'd be curious to know how this sim compares to the built in Leslie Sims of the HX3 and the Gemini's VB3v2.

Probably the only people I know of w/ all these devices (Vent/HX3 & Gemini) are either Dave Osof or ABECK...so if you read this guys, can you try this sim out and let us know what you think?

Thank you,

John

You've all peaked my interest here. Speaking of PSP: I've been really digging the PSP Vintage Warmer demo on my Receptor this last week with a few of my Rhodes and Wurly sample Libraries. After reading this thread tonight I'll download the L'otary and check it out and compare with my other sims... I hope PSP has an XMAS sale coming up... I missed the last promotion by a few days. :-)

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy, but I still haven't had a chance to work with this since the huge update they did. I just haven't done any organ work in that time, or much guitar work (of my own) either.

My theory remains in place, that this plug-in will be more appropriate for guitar production than B3 Leslie emulation, but I could be wrong. Maybe after the major update that was done, it can really complete with a hardware Ventilator solution.

At a gig, of course, m,most of us would still want the hardware.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've had my eyes on this plug all month, but I couldn't pull the trigger... Just too many other expenses. It would have been great for a track I'm doing, but I'll have to settle for the bundled Cubase plugin for now.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• 9 months later...

I happened onto a recent vid about this comparing the stock VB3 sim to the updated L'otary. Near the end he goes into the "Brilliant" high CPU load mode. Sounds really good to me and I remembered this thread so here it is:

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I happened onto a recent vid about this comparing the stock VB3 sim to the updated L'otary. Near the end he goes into the "Brilliant" high CPU load mode. Sounds really good to me and I remembered this thread so here it is:

Bob

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I was actually more impressed with the MVintageRotary. Maybe my ears are not tuned well enough to what a real Leslie sounds like, but I thought the MVR ramp up animation was more convincing than the VB3 and L'otary.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Agree the Melda sounded sweet. I have L'otary and it is definitely an improvement on the VB3 sim.

But I no longer use it live. The combination of VB3 wrapped in 32 Lives plus L'otary in high CPU mode eats all available resources in MainStage on my machine leaving little over for other instruments in a spilt.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Nice comparison. The Melda sounds lovely but L'otary on brilliant has it for me.

I've used L'otary in the studio for a while but recently I've gone back to the NE4D's internal sim lately. Maybe it's because I still haven't got the hang of tweaking L'otary properly but the Nord sim seems to cut through busy mixes much nicer.

• 5 months later...
Agree the Melda sounded sweet. I have L'otary and it is definitely an improvement on the VB3 sim.

But I no longer use it live. The combination of VB3 wrapped in 32 Lives plus L'otary in high CPU mode eats all available resources in MainStage on my machine leaving little over for other instruments in a spilt.

ive had the same experience. I use Lotary with vb3 when I'm just using organ. Any patch that has an organ split, I use Melda which I got on sale recently.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

As I was talking about in the E5D/SK1 thread, although people often post their thoughts about whose Leslie sim they prefer, a lot of variation comes from what you're listening for. A Leslie 122/147 alters the sounds three ways: the rotary effect itself, the coloration of the drivers/cabinet, and the tube overdrive. For people who have heard the Melda MVintageRotary and/or the PSP L'otary2, in addition to the comments here about their overall realism/adjustability/performance, I'd really be curious to hear how people feel each addresses each of the three aspects of Leslie sim.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Check out UVIs Rotary.

I shelved VB3 Melda/L'Rotary for HX-3....

But using signal switches in Bidule/Scope I had access to a few Sims since one is never enough.

UVI uses mic placement better than Sims I used.

Might be worth checking out.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 4 months later...

Yes L'otary controls can be mapped to midi CC's sent by controller. For example, fast/stop/slow to a mod wheel. Overdrive to a rotary encoder.

You can also save a set of settings to a user defined preset and use a midi control on your controller to switch between your L'otary user presets.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Yes L'otary controls can be mapped to midi CC's sent by controller. For example, fast/stop/slow to a mod wheel.

Can anyone walk me through how to do this? I'm trying to follow the instructions at http://www.pspaudioware.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=12655#Post12655 but I can't get it to work (and I can't post there because the forum isn't accepting new registrations, I guess they abandoned that support method).

Somehow, the speed toggle button has been assigned to expression, and following the instructions to "unassign" it doesn't seem to want to break that connection, or assign anything else to that button. (I want sustain pedal to toggle the speed button.). I then tried to assign mod wheel to the speed slider, and THEN the speed toggle button became unassigned but the slider became assigned to expression pedal! It's just whacky. (It's also very hard to control those little MIDI connect/disconnect buttons or be sure whether they're activated or not, they are infinitesimally small on my tablet screen, and there is very little visible difference between when they are "white" vs. "gray.")

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 3 months later...
For what it's worth, PSP L'otary2 and B-Scanner are on sale for $29 and $19 respectively until April 3.

And now, they're both on sale for $19.99.

PSP L'otary2 is on sale (today only) for $20, as part of PSP's 20th anniversary celebration.

The pattern of it going on sale seems to be once every year or so.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon