Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can't get my FA06 set up with Logic Pro X

Hi all,

I'm really struggling and feel a complete dunce. I thought getting my FA06 to act as a controller was going to be a simple process but I've failed to get it to work with Logic Pro X. Might be because I'm new to Logic but I really thought it was just a case of pressing the DAW button and setting up the Roland in Control surfaces. But when I try Logic doesn't seem to recognise the Roland. Nothing happens. I've got a standard USB A to B cable.

I've gone through the various manuals but can't find a simple step-by-step set-up process for the keyboard and the software.

Can someone help?

Thanks, Chris

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Logic has that info where it shows you what MIDI data it is receiving. What do you see?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In the LCD in the control bar. I'm not sure if all configurations of the LCD show MIDI happenings.

Another option is to download MIDI Monitor and see if the FA06 is talking to the Mac at all.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Chris,

Have you downloaded and installed the ROland Drivers to your computer? Is Logic set to "Mackie Control" ?

Next, download the Application Guide and go to Chapter 8..controlling DAW.

Here's a link

Roland FA08/06 App Guide

If you are still stuck after all these steps, when I get home tonight I can fire up my FA08 that I use with Mainstage and Logic and walk you thru the steps.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Hey David that's a really kind offer - I'll go through the manual again just in case and check the download installed correctly. I struggled to find the setting in Logic to choose 'mackie control'.

I thought it was in control surfaces>assign but only got a list of numbers to choose from, no 'mackie control'

Will try again later this afternoon and let you know how I get on.

Hey David that's a really kind offer - I'll go through the manual again just in case and check the download installed correctly. I struggled to find the setting in Logic to choose 'mackie control'.

I thought it was in control surfaces>assign but only got a list of numbers to choose from, no 'mackie control'

Will try again later this afternoon and let you know how I get on.

I happen to have my MacBook with me... I just took a look:

Do this:

1.From the Logic Pro X menu, choose [Logic Pro X]>

>[Control Surfaces]>[setup] to

open the setting screen.

2.From the menu, choose [New]> [install].

3.From the list of Model, choose Mackie Control and press Add.

4.As the input port and the output port, specify FA-06 08 DAW CTRL.

You need to scroll a ways to find the Mackie Control in the list.

Hope this helps

David

OK David so all is cool with using the keyboard as a controller - halfway there!

I'm struggling to play my FA08 sounds through logic - I've started a new track as an external midi track but no sound...what additional settings in the fa08 and Logic do I need to do to play and record roland sounds straight into Logic (its not in the manual that I can see)

Hey Chris,

I am sorry I have not been able to get out my FA08 yet. Got tied up with other things.

In Logic, have you created a track, and specified External Instrument? Then select both the audio and MIDI inputs.

The Roland FA's do send audio over MIDI (USB) and I know Logic can "hear" it. I just don't remember the settings.

I'm going by memory here.

David

I'm still struggling - getting the fa08 to work as a controller but often getting weird stuck notes and feedback. still not able to play fa08 sounds into logic. Really a bit desperate.

I don't see where i get the options to 'select both the audio and midi inputs'. when i create an external instrument and then select fa06/08 daw the weird noises start. its also all playing back in my fa06 now, not in the mac. totally confused. I just need a set up for controller and playing back fa06 into logic.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi there,

I am having the same problem here in 2020 and was wondering if this ever got resolved? I have my FA-08 plugged into my Mac (via USB) with the correct driver installed. I have switched both the input and output to the FA and have created a track with the 'external instrument' tab. I even have the Mackie Control surface setup for the FA's DAW control. I get levels but I am not getting any sound. I figured I would just shell out on some monitors but I'm saving up a bit first so I would really just like the sound to come out of the Mac. I've been fiddling around with this FOREVER and it's driving me mad!

If you or EscapeRocks found a solution I would love to hear it. Thank you!

Hey, describe what your plan is...

Are you trying to send midi to/from the FA and hear the FA re-triggered from an midi track?

Or use the FA"s audio interface to send audio to/from?

Or trying to send MIDI from the FA and get audio back from a Logic Instrument through the FA"s outputs or headphones?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Drivers: https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/fa-08/updates_drivers/

Manual: https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/fa-08/owners_manuals/

"Turn on the power of the FA before you start the DAW software on your computer. Don"t turn the FA"s power on/off while your DAW software is running."

The audio channels over the USB establish connection to your computer for audio. So, in Logic if you create an Audio Track, you should be able to select the audio output of the FA-08 to record you playing the FA live - or being triggered by a MIDI/External Instrument Track (if you have the MIDI routed correctly to the FA. Audio out of the Logic (any pre-recorded audio tracks or virtual instrument tracks will play out of the FA's main outputs.

Roland says your computer might attempt to use a generic MIDI driver, which means only MIDI will be available. Menu/System/General/ Specify the driver and [6] Write to save the setting on the FA.

The FA also has a DAW control mode [6] where you establish the protocols for Logic on the keyboard itself.

Then in Logic you need to go to the Control Surface settings and set it to use the Mackie Control standard and tell Logic to listen for it on ports: FA-08 DAW CTRL

I don't have an FA handy to give additional information. But maybe when David pops in he can tell you specifically how to set your external instrument settings (channels and what port names to look for) as well as how the FA audio drivers shows up on Mac OSX. Best of luck!

Hey thanks for all the resources,

My plan is to be able to create an 'external Midi' track in Logic and, when I play the FA, have the sounds of the FA come out of my Mac.

Right now I can create an external midi track and click 'use External instrument plug-in' where I change the output from the FA to 'built-in output' aka my Mac's speakers. This creates a generic instrument track where it records the midi input from the FA and I can hear the FA's sounds relatively clearly which is exactly what I want. But now there is a different problem. Whenever I create a new track, both of them play at the same time. I have changed the midi channels and they still play at the same time and I hear a weird mix of tracks which sounds like it would be used on a 80's special about space.

Making some progress but essentially I just need to know how to route the FA into different 'external midi' tracks so that they don't all play at the same time.

Hmmm ok.

#1 check in the manual for the FA and how to turn local control off.

#2 create a midi track and set it to send MIDI out the correct port and channel in the Roland USB MIDI driver. The manual should also tell you what that is for triggering FA sounds.

#3 create a Logic audio track and set it to listen for the FA"s audio output to the Mac. The is also Roland"s USB driver but the audio side of it. IF, big if, the Roland actually sends audio of it"s internal sounds over USB to the Mac. I haven"t read the manual on this. But if it does this, then you record activate this audio track to record audio output to Logic as an audio track.

If the Roland driver doesn"t do this, then you need a different interface or to use the internal Mac audio card"s audio input time capture audio from the FA.

This is all conceptual. You need to read the manual a bit.