Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2729107 - 10/20/15 06:22 AM Bass trap help
Stevo1980 Offline

Hi Ethan,

Due to having kids who touch everything I have been looking at alternative means of absorption which is not toxic. I have found the below product which I am looking at getting in 100mm thickness, but have no idea how this compares to the much raved about 705. Please could advise if it would be a good idea or a waste of time?

http://www.thermafleece.com/product/thermafleece-cosywool

Few additional questions

My room dimensions are 4.2x5 meters with 2.4meter ceiling.

1)would traps as little as 50x50cm and 10cm thick worth doing for the bottom corners of the room as I don't have space for standard size traps in either 2x2 foot or 2x4 foot mid way up the wall.

2)If I could only treat one wall with bass traps which is usually better front or the back?

3) Are bass traps behind furniture useful as I have a sofa in a bay window and the small area behind that when I place a spl meter in shows a large boost of bass output by 10 decibels. Is this gap worth trapping as its small and would be filled by two traps at 30x60 either side of the radiator that's there.

4) Am I better off gluing the thick plastic that the the wool comes wrapped in as a membrane or use brown wrapping paper for the bass traps

#2729150 - 10/20/15 09:12 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Yes, that fleece is probably good for sound absorption. It would help if they had real data, but it looks like it would work. You can buy recycled denim (blue jeans) that has good specs, and this looks similar.

1. Bigger is always better, but smaller is worth doing too. Be creative, maybe you can put additional larger bass traps up in the ceiling corners?

2. The front is better because it tightens up the sound around the speakers.

3. Massive furniture is not good in front of bass traps, but it's worth trying while you measure the SPL.

4. Either will work, but not very thick plastic!

--Ethan

#2729197 - 10/20/15 11:13 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Ethan Winer]
Stevo1980 Offline

Thanks for the extremely quick responses.

They seem to have detailed acustics data at the bottom of this pdf. Looking at getting the 100mm thickness do those quoted figures bare any resemblance to 705 in the same thickness?

http://www.thermafleece.com/uploads/Thermafleece-CosyWool-Acoustic-Partition-Walls.pdf

#2729443 - 10/21/15 10:22 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
MP Hall of Fame Member

This stuff seems about 75 percent as effective as 705 at 125 Hz. So it works, but maybe not as well. Then again, it could be exactly as good as 705 or even better. Even when using all the proper standards, lab test results can vary a lot.

--Ethan

#2729496 - 10/21/15 12:30 PM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Ethan Winer]
Stevo1980 Offline

Thanks again for the responses.

I think I have made a fatal mistake. The rolls of that insulation came today so like a fool I stacked the rolls, one in each corner put on the latest avengers bluray. My god what a difference in the bass, first of all it was much lower than before ,guessing because the difference between peaks and lows had massively reduced. Once I dialed the volume back up it sounded amazing, strange thing is so did the mids and highs. The problem is now I have heard what this room can sound like I will be forever disappointed as my wife would never let me have that sort of coverage on the walls.

#2729733 - 10/22/15 10:52 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
MP Hall of Fame Member

LOL, but at least now you know. thu

There's probably some median solution that looks acceptable but still helps a lot.

--Ethan

#2738773 - 12/03/15 06:53 PM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
MikePope Offline

Loc: Maryland
Lol! The winner's curse!

#2761538 - 03/05/16 02:08 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: MikePope]
Stevo1980 Offline

So I am now in the middle of converting my garage into a home cinema it's 2.50 meters wide by 6 meters long. I know the rule about as many bass traps a possible In the corners but was wondering about all of the other surfaces. I was originally looking at doing 20% absorbsion coverage on walls and the ceiling and a thick carpet but reading some of Ethan's other posts it seems in a room my size it's ok to completely cover on walls and ceiling with absorbsion and no diffusion, have I got this right?
Looking at my local commercial cinema all the walls are covered with corse fabric like the stuff used on some moble speakers I have seen. It has thicker panels in places but all walls are non reflective in there by the looks of things and its IMAX rated

#2761678 - 03/05/16 10:22 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Treating a room in a home is very different than a theater that seats 50-500 people. But there are many places for bass traps in your room besides corners. Pretty much any place you can manage to put traps will help, and the back wall behind you is the first non-corner I'd tackle.

--Ethan

#2761687 - 03/05/16 10:37 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
Rky Offline

Loc: Chicagoland,Illinois,USA
I don't know if this is good advice but since your room is much longer than it is wide, if you can stand to loose some of the length, you can make the back wall a giant bass trap/wide band absorber the entire area of the back wall... maybe 2 or more feet deep. You could do the same in the front too.

About the side walls and ceiling, at least enough for the reflection areas but if some is good...more is better? I think?

Maybe diffusion on the rear wall centered at ear level in front of your giant bass trap wall (but not extending floor to ceiling and wall to wall) as long as it's far enough (6 feet ?) away from the listening area. But now I'm really guessing so let's see what Ethan says, but wait, here's a link to his page on rear walls: http://realtraps.com/art_rear_wall.htm

Cheers,
Rock

#2761711 - 03/05/16 11:41 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Rky]
Stevo1980 Offline

Because the room is not that wide I did not want to use bass traps on the side walls as it would reduce the width even more. I am planing to use bass traps in all corners and ceiling corners front and back. I guess my question was can I cover the side, front,back and ceiling completely In high level absorption, 1 inch thick acustic foam or should I stick to my original plan of only covering only 20% of each of these evenly and have some reflective areas? Also should I even be considering diffusing this small space? Happy to loss some of the lenth if whole wall bass trapping was the best option.

This space is a blanket canvas so I can really do anything I want to optimise it acoustic so was looking for advice from the experts here.

#2761938 - 03/06/16 09:05 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I would not put 1-inch thick foam everywhere. grin

Anywhere on the ceiling is a good place for very thick absorption, and so are the front and rear walls. Any places that are not reflection points can use faced insulation to avoid absorbing too much. That's better than leaving those areas bare because faced insulation reflects high frequencies but provides bass trapping.

--Ethan

#2762135 - 03/07/16 02:33 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Ethan Winer]
Stevo1980 Offline

Would thick absorption, say a foot thick behind drywall still do the job of trapping low bass and also be reflective for high frequencies? As I might do this at each end of the room. What frequecy range can penetrate drywall?

#2762374 - 03/07/16 12:49 PM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Drywall blocks (reflects) all but the very lowest frequencies, so putting insulation behind drywall is not effective. The insulation must be inside the room to work.

--Ethan

#2763477 - 03/11/16 01:40 AM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Ethan Winer]
Stevo1980 Offline

Right so I have decided on super chunks in each corner is it work membraning super chunks with the usual plastic or paper?

#2763673 - 03/11/16 12:52 PM Re: Bass trap help [Re: Stevo1980]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, "chunk" type bass traps in corners benefit from a reflective paper or plastic facing.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer