Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3: one note sounds louder

Hi everyone,

the B right below middle C on my PC3 sounds noticeably louder than its neighbors. It seems to have the whole range of velocity available, however it sounds as if when I'm expecting a velocity of about 30, it sounds like it's about 90, as though it has a different velocity curve, no matter what the patch.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

thanks in advance,

Martin

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to have the whole range of velocity available

Meaning you checked the output via Master > Utils > MIDI?

If not, that should tell you what velocity the key is outputting.

Second RudyS on this: dirty key contact.

I make software noises.

Well, I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and the problem is gone. The longest part of the job was putting the strips back in place properly, this probably takes 20 times the amount of time it takes to remove them!

Thanks again to all.

My homemade instruments

• 3 years later...

Resurecting this thread because I had pretty much the same problem with another note, only worse. When I googled about it I stumbled on this thread. Funny thing is I didn't remember about the thread or even about the fact that I previously had that problem.

Once again I opened the keyboard, cleaned the contacts in the rubber strip and now everything seems ok.

I wonder how these contacts get dirty? This keyboard litterally spends its whole life in its case, besides 1 or 2 gigs a month...

edit: putting the contact strip back wasn't that bad, what's wrong with you, me-from-four-years-ago?!

My homemade instruments

I wonder how these contacts get dirty? This keyboard litterally spends its whole life in its case, besides 1 or 2 gigs a month...

Your case isn't hermetically sealed, and these things happen over time, not suddenly, although things like outdoor gigs definitely exacerbate the problem. ;)

Your case isn't hermetically sealed, and these things happen over time, not suddenly, although things like outdoor gigs definitely exacerbate the problem. ;)

Yes, and also those contact sheets where off over time and need to be changed. The way they work is there are 2 points of contact. An initial one and secondary one. The velocity (loudness) is determined by the time between the initial and second contact. The harder you strike the note, the smaller the time interval and therefore the louder the note. Those contact are made of rubber and eventually they crack or the resistance of the rubber becomes too light and therefore the time between the 2 contacts is virtually zero and therefore the note velocity always goes to 127. That's why the note seems louder.

Bring it to any good technician to get changed. Usually when one starts to go the rest will follow, so a good tech will do a thorough check up and change as many as necessary. You're in Montreal so if you need a recommendation for a tech I could give you one.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Salut Ian, I'm not in Mtl area but thanks for the offer.

Since it's happened only twice so far I'll keep cleaning them when it happens again, until it gets too frequent.

I've once replaced all the contacts on my Roland controller, but I don't think it was a velocity issue, I think the notes were just dying one after the other.

My homemade instruments