Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2929926 - 05/29/18 12:11 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Tales from the crypt (10/21/15)... evil

GP Island
#2929927 - 05/29/18 12:13 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Tales from the crypt (10/21/15)... evil

I think d resurrected this thread to address his change of heart (or mind) about Bonamassa...

#2929938 - 05/29/18 01:17 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

It's OK by me. Just letting others know it's an oldie thread. We haven't heard from Griff in a long time and I hope he's doing well. Like d, I think Joe Bonamassa's playing is very cool and I grew to like him more over the years... cool

#2929967 - 05/29/18 04:35 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
FWIW, I didn't notice the date & that all the comments prior to mine are a couple yrs old.
There was a very recent thread (maybe a couple months back) abt someone's bewilderment over Joe B's popularity here & when this one showed up in my search I presumed it was the one I'd seen.
----------------------
Having made a new, quick search for the thread I saw....hmm, can't find it.
I must've seen one over at HC or someplace or was there a discussion abt Bonamassa in GP or someplace recently ?
Trust me, I didn't recall this thread from 2K15 !

#2930004 - 05/29/18 08:20 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

No problem with bringing up old threads when there is something worth repeating that's still relevant. I remember a few threads where Joe Bonamassa came up but probably couldn't find them again if I tried LOL! I do remember posting this YouTube clip that I found interesting as he gives a few lessons here and there. This one is remembering to use the volume and tone controls on an LP before resorting to pedals and getting different genre vibes:

he puts out some cool stuff and interviews! cool

#2930086 - 05/30/18 07:13 AM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I know there's a general guideline to not pull up "zombies".
AString & site management both prefer fresh material plus there's some tech reason that pulling up v. old files apparently is problematic.

I do think, myself, that there's a serious value to collating some information as a reference collection.
I've been slowly creating a collection of stuff (edited material in new threads, not simply "zombies" pulled up) to eventually present: "the Strat File" ; my BBKing career retrospective; etc.

There are 1000s of back pages here & that's not even a complete list---the general public, which includes me, can only access back a few yrs not even close to the origins of the site, which extends into the 1990s.
The really old pages simply aren't listed.

#2930092 - 05/30/18 07:39 AM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I have noticed many of one hit wonders who join the forum are up in the wee hours of the morning pulling up our old threads. Still expecting and answer to their questions from guys who have been long gone. I can never figure out why they just don't start a new thread LOL! But, there are times when they pull up some good history that saves them the time of repeating it and going into their thoughts from there. So I can see pulling up old threads now and then. As you are pointing out d, there is a ton of great material that has been posted on this site over the years...+1 on archiving a reference collection of some of it, if it is possible! cool

Edited by Larryz (05/30/18 07:41 AM)

#2930134 - 05/30/18 10:37 AM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's possible, just time consuming as it involves finding the relevant material & inter-connections, then placing it in proper order & tryna determine accuracy before adding my usual witty flair.
Not to mention the need to keep up w/the ongoing current world.

For ex, the current threads
Speaker Recommendation For A Deluxe Reverb
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...A_D#Post2929712
&
Amps and the reason why you like yours
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads..._li#Post2929084
could be combined (along with, perhaps, other threads)
to bring together a new reference thread such as How To Get The Best From Yer Amp For The Music You Make.

#2930189 - 05/30/18 03:51 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: d]
mikesr1963 Offline

Loc: Virginia's East Coast
Here's JB's 2018 rig. I have a JB cd. A live one from years ago. I enjoy it from time to time but he's not favorite player. That said his skills and gear knowledge, IMO, is unmatched for a guitarist and someone who's not impressed by the Dumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=233&v=IThh8Ye3PvM

Edited by mikesr1963 (05/30/18 03:53 PM)

#2930225 - 05/30/18 08:22 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: d
It's possible, just time consuming as it involves finding the relevant material & inter-connections, then placing it in proper order & tryna determine accuracy before adding my usual witty flair.
Not to mention the need to keep up w/the ongoing current world.

For ex, the current threads
Speaker Recommendation For A Deluxe Reverb
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...A_D#Post2929712
&
Amps and the reason why you like yours
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads..._li#Post2929084
could be combined (along with, perhaps, other threads)
to bring together a new reference thread such as How To Get The Best From Yer Amp For The Music You Make.

I'm thinking it would have to be a search engine. You type in "Joe Bonamassa" and all threads with his name in the title would be listed and you could click on any of them. Or "amplifiers" "Speakers" "JBL" "BB King" [insert] title search, etc. We would all have to think about putting key words in the title of our threads so that they could be searched on. Many searches on Wiki and on YouTube could give us ideas...I think this is more of a discussion forum as opposed to a research forum. We do post several Wiki, YT, Articles, links so maybe we should just keep it as is. But having an individual list and links to refer back to is a good idea as well...just some thoughts that I'm prattling off for now. I do appreciate your "witty flair" though LOL! cool

#2930254 - 05/31/18 04:10 AM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
But(as I see it) the reason some post WIKI or YT and other links to other articles is mostly as "back-up" or confirming sources of any information.

And +1 on this being more of a discussion forum. Although the occasional "tutorial" treatment and/or "soap box" or audition postings are always welcome too. wink
Whitefang

#2930368 - 05/31/18 02:02 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Off topic, but not altogether out of context - Has anyone else noticed that we haven't heard from Griffinator in a LONG time? I know he had some health issues, heart related, IIRC. Just bringing it up because he started the original thread, and he was always one of the more informed and entertaining Forum members. I even checked out his Metal Chef videos on occasion. Anybody have any word?

http://www.novparolo.com

#2930371 - 05/31/18 02:31 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not me, I didn't even realize he'd been MIA til now.
One of the big drags of recent yrs is how long-standing members have gone .

#2930372 - 05/31/18 02:39 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I'm thinking it would have to be a search engine. You type in "Joe Bonamassa" and all threads with his name in the title would be listed and you could click on any of them. Or "amplifiers" "Speakers" "JBL" "BB King" [insert] title search, etc. We would all have to think about putting key words in the title of our threads so that they could be searched on. Many searches on Wiki and on YouTube could give us ideas...I think this is more of a discussion forum as opposed to a research forum. We do post several Wiki, YT, Articles, links so maybe we should just keep it as is. But having an individual list and links to refer back to is a good idea as well...just some thoughts that I'm prattling off for now. I do appreciate your "witty flair" though LOL! cool

Yer going backward, LZ.
There are already search functions (although the one here is dismal, if y'ever tried it).
I'm talking abt a collated collection.

As far as the, uh, purpose of the forum, there are many functions the site serves & might serve, not that there's any conflict between them.
Currently it's an info/news/discussion/music-theory/drivel/speculation/messages-addressed-to-ppl-who'll-never-see-them-here/all-that-&-more site !
twothumbs

#2930387 - 05/31/18 04:33 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang, I think we rely (at least I know I do) on Wiki, YT and Articles for history as opposed to "back up". I have CRS (can't remember sh*t LOL!) and have to check my memory banks now and then before even commenting! I was just thinking it is good to check sources on certain topics/RIP's/stars/demos/etc., and we could maybe garner a few ideas on how the other sites work with our searches should we try to create one on this forum... cool

@ Winston, +1 on my 5/29 post I too asked if anyone has heard from Griff? I have enjoyed many of his threads to include this one. He's been MIA lately and I really hope he is still in good health... cool

@ d, +1 we do get into drivel and speculation as we are pretty diverse. Thus it would be hard to look up info that stayed on topic for the most part. I too have tried the search engine on this site and was not too impressed. Better than nothing though...I was just pointing out that a word or topic search might be a way to go. +1 on a collection of sorts like the one(s) you did on BB... cool

Edited by Larryz (05/31/18 04:33 PM)

#2930652 - 06/02/18 04:20 AM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Y'know, it does seem that I recall Griff posting something somewhere in here not that long ago. But I just can't specifically recall. So put me on the "hope he's OK" list too.
Whitefang

#2930685 - 06/02/18 09:17 AM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The one search function here that works well is "see members posts" so it's easy to know when/what forum one posted.

For Griff that comes up =
Re: To Transpose Button or Not to Transpose Button...
The Keyboard Corner 02/19/16 08:14 AM

#2930719 - 06/02/18 12:54 PM Re: Joe Bonamassa... what am I missing? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Off topic, but not altogether out of context - Has anyone else noticed that we haven't heard from Griffinator in a LONG time? I know he had some health issues, heart related, IIRC. Just bringing it up because he started the original thread, and he was always one of the more informed and entertaining Forum members. I even checked out his Metal Chef videos on occasion. Anybody have any word?

I had noticed this, and it had come up topically before, a while back; I have tried to contact him, with no replies back...

A refreshed, renewed attempt at making contact presently being made...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose