Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[video:youtube]

I will see your Metz and raise you one Railkid Station.

Considering it is just two of them and they are young, I think they have a lot of potential. I featured two of their songs from another album on July 2nd on my World UFO Day radio show.

Last night I listened to three different you tube videos of Charles Mingus' "Moanin'"

Then started craving more heavy baritone sax growling and shredding so watched about half a dozen Too Many Zooz videos.

Carl

I'm on a weird guitar kick at the moment, so its David Torn, Michael Brook, Fred Frith, Steve Tibbetts on ECM, Zappa's "Shut Up & Play Your Guitar" series and Adrian Belew solo Albums. Its a reaction to listening to just Jimmy Smith for three days, liking it and then snapping the vector joystick all the way to the "C" corner. Total sea change.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/AR-AK760_DEACON_12S_20150904180134.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm on a weird guitar kick at the moment, so its David Torn, Michael Brook, Fred Frith, Steve Tibbetts on ECM, Zappa's "Shut Up & Play Your Guitar" series and Adrian Belew solo Albums. Its a reaction to listening to just Jimmy Smith for three days, liking it and then snapping the vector joystick all the way to the "C" corner. Total sea change.

Nice! I saw David Torn do a solo show a few months ago, it was extremely cool, first time I'd seen him live, though I had been getting his records since the first Everyman Band lp. Really inspiring show, he was so low-key and unexpectedly funny between tunes.

This is what I'm digging at the moment:

Melvin van Peebles, Archie Shepp and The Heliocentrics live . Really summons a Sun Ra vibe.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JNdiqoiRsQ

As a Kickstarter supporter of the project, this week I received the new Anderson Ponty Band album. It is available to the general population on the 25th I think.

I'm really enjoying the album as I am of course a huge fan of Jon Anderson, but also of Jean Luc Ponty.

The album has a few Yes covers which are very well done and enough of a departure from the original to be interesting to many while still retaining enough of the original that if you liked the original you will still likely like this.

Still, Yes covers don't interest me a great deal, but the "re-imagining" of some Jean Luc Ponty pieces with Anderson's added vocals, and a couple new songs are fantastic! I would love for them to do a follow up of all new material!

The musicianship on this album is stunning! Wally Minko is the keyboardist.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Oldie/goodie

That debut solo record was actually really good. Always been a fan.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

It occurred to me over the past year that I have a real problem learning "by heart" various pieces by Webern (variations) and Schoenberg (the "gigue" and the "intermezzo"), so I figure if I can't end up memorizing the "Children's Piece" by Webern by osmosis, eventually, I should keep trying.