Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

I know this thread is about the HX3 MIDI Expander module, but I have one important question about the other remaining HX3 product: the Hammond/Suzuki XB-2 retrofit kit option? Are there currently any existing plans for importing and supporting this option for all of the many existing malfunctioning XB-2 organs here in the USA? As many may know, the Muse-1 IC often malfunctioned on many older H/S XB-2 organs after a period of time, which resulted in an unusable distorted sound output, and parts have not been available directly from Hammond for quite some time now. Does Diversi plan to also carry the HX3 XB-2 retrofit replacement kit?

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Once again, in my opinion the Numa holds its own with the HX3. The HX3 is noticeably brighter. I have apporeciated the fact that the Numa is less agressive in the upper register. Some say it doesn't " cut in the mix" but this has not been my experience. My expeience is that it is pleasnt to listen to.

What amplification do you use LX88, if I may ask...... ?

I still use the Numa at home.....and like it for practice purpose very much, but in our rehersal studio I connected both the Numa and HX3 with a leslie 860 pro line. (don't need bass pedals).

The Numa soundn't less through the leslie 860 than through the Motion Sound KP500 SN and active speakers....

I understand that people nowadays take their burns and vents or internal sims.

A leslie is heavy and not every clone supposedly matches as wished for with every leslie (like the Numa and 860)

I also have the NEO ventilator and made every possible connection between Numa, Nord and HX3 with vent. and without (internal sim.)... and the real leslie 860.

By far the best sound without having to alter anything at all was running the HX3 into a leslie 860 and using its gain knob to increase overdrive to the preferred level.(I have the HX3 installed in an XB-2)

That was it for me..... the ultimate warm rock (not deep purple Marshall stack distortion), blues and funk sound I was looking for all those years exploring clonewheels.

The Numa run through the Motion Sound and/or EV active speakers was sounding clearly inferiour for what i like in a band organ sound.

Like I said I do like my Numa at home,...still very much enjoying it's warm and open breathing character through a pair of very good headphones.But for life in a band context it is only used for back up....just in case.

By far the best sound without having to alter anything at all was running the HX3 into a leslie 860 and using its gain knob to increase overdrive to the preferred level.(I have the HX3 installed in an XB-2)

That was it for me..... the ultimate warm rock (not deep purple Marshall stack distortion), blues and funk sound I was looking for all those years exploring clonewheels.

So do you have the actual HX3 MIDI module installed into your XB-2, or the XB-2 retrofit kit? I am really curious about both the sonic and operational differences. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

So do you have the actual HX3 MIDI module installed into your XB-2, or the XB-2 retrofit kit? I am really curious about both the sonic and operational differences. Thanks!

I have the retro kit (mainboard + input/output socket)....it was quite easy to install.

Unplug all internal wiring from the XB-2 mainboard (XB-2 mainboard into the garbage can), install the new main HX3 mainboard on the bottom instaed. Also swap the original XB-2 in- and output socket on the backside of the XB-2 with the new HX3 unit and attach a plastic nametag ribbon with the renamed functions for the hardware of your XB-2....which now operates/controles the main functions of HX3.

All the old XB-2 wiring+plugs (quite a lot) fit the new HX3 board perfectly.....you simply can't mess that up or connect wrongly.

Each and every plug has only one connection option on the new HX3 boards.....doing it wrong is no option really :-)

So, like in the example I used, the XB-2 hardware gain knob increases the HX3 drive/volume, just like the other hardware knobs properly function albite with sometimes renamed functions compared to the original XB-2.

No midi latency at all and very direct finger to ear connection......only negative :

Don't try to play monster jazz on the keybed....the keybed itself isn't bad at all , but it isn't a lightening fast waterfall keybed..so machinegun thrills are difficult to near impossible...

Like I said in a band context it is ideal soundwise and hardware wise.....remember the XB-2 has real drawbars instaed of draw faders (yuk) and till now feels like it is going to last.

My Numa had ''broken'' keys and it now and then does very strange things like shutting down (althaugh very rare) or simply refusing to produce sound , so I have to re-booth.

It happens.....but only occasionally , so that I don't bother to fix it (really doubt the studiologic customer support).

My biggest worry was the reliability of the XB-2 + HX3, but I never had anything but flawless operation over two years now....

I believe/hope it will properly work for years to come.

I hope this is of some help for you

Cheers !

Yes, we do plan on carrying the XB-2 retrofit kit option. We're just getting started with the HX3 Organ Module so it will take a little time before we offer the kit but it is our plan to do so.

The best way to hear about our news such as new products, etc. is to either check our website periodically or sign up for our email updates. http://diversi.us/subscribe.html

Thank you,

Diversi Musical Products

Diversi Musical Products

Yes, we do plan on carrying the XB-2 retrofit kit option. We're just getting started with the HX3 Organ Module so it will take a little time before we offer the kit but it is our plan to do so.

The best way to hear about our news such as new products, etc. is to either check our website periodically or sign up for our email updates. http://diversi.us/subscribe.html

Thank you,

Diversi Musical Products

Will you be carrying this if/when it becomes available?

https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/blob/master/DOCS_PDF/HX3%20MIDI%20drawbar%20module.pdf

Thanks

Paul

I'm using the half moon on the Mojo to control speed and have slow, stop, and fast.

I just purchased a Hosa Dual Channel Foot Switch and a 10' TRS cable. It was plug and play. Chorale/Tremolo on switch 1, stop on switch 2. Paired with a Yamaha FC 7 and I'm good to go now. Both pedals are plugged directly into the expansion box, not my controller.

:nopity:

Thank you to all who have purchased the HX3 Drawbar Organ Module. Just a reminder that our Second Chance sale ends tomorrow (Saturday). http://www.diversi.us/hx3db.html

Also, we posted a review of the HX3 from organist Rich Budesa on our FB page. This is not a detailed review but just how much he likes it. https://www.facebook.com/diversiorgans

If any of you would like to send us a quote and picture of you and the HX3, we will be glad to post it also. Please send it to info@diversi.us.

We very much appreciate your support and interest in the HX3.

All best,

Diversi

Diversi Musical Products

I'm using the half moon on the Mojo to control speed and have slow, stop, and fast.

I just purchased a Hosa Dual Channel Foot Switch and a 10' TRS cable. It was plug and play. Chorale/Tremolo on switch 1, stop on switch 2. Paired with a Yamaha FC 7 and I'm good to go now. Both pedals are plugged directly into the expansion box, not my controller.

Thanks for sharing. I just bought one. I've been using a single latching footswitch by Live Wire Solutions but this looks better.

• 2 weeks later...

New firmware released:

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=449

cheers

Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Where is the download for the firmware?

I am using 3822.

Diversi seems to have not received the news yet.

Would love to try this tonight as I am editing and programming.

Thanks Brotha Man M_G

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Hi Guys

I would like to ask if some of you who are knowlegable about the HX3 would mind sending me a PM.

There are some things going on with mine that I need to do a reality check on. I would rather not go public with this, as I have been roasted over the coals on this forum before- generally by endorsees who were obviously biased due to various business considerations.

If you are knowlegeable about this unit and also know what a tone wheel Hammond actually sounds like please PM me.

Nope. I respect what the people who have developed this are trying to do,and I am hoping for the best outcome.

Besides, we need a module that can do Hammond! I am really hoping for that.

I think there are some people who are too ready to trash things and I don't want to become that.

There are a lot of things that the HX3 does really well. I just need to find out if my unit has any quirks first.

Bummer.... The built in Hammond XK CC set doesn't work with the XK-1C? I haven't used that one, but the SK set worked well for me with my SK1.

If there are some updates in that XK CC set that you would like to see implemented, maybe post a message over the the Keyboard Partner forum. Carsten has been pretty responsive to requests and suggestions this summer.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Where is the download for the firmware?

I am using 3822.

Diversi seems to have not received the news yet.

Would love to try this tonight as I am editing and programming.

Thanks Brotha Man M_G

Look here:

https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/tree/master/LATEST

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I tried the XK set and the SK set. SK worked better, but with the same problems.

My guess is that the XK set is more for the XK-3C.

Hi Mate,

yes, the XK-set is made for the XK3/XK3c and the SK-Set for the SKx.

Why the hell does Hammond-Suzuki change the Midi-Impl. with EVERY model?

Are they crazy?

(Nord is not really better.... Stage and Elektro is different but you can create a Custom CC cause they use CC and not that NPRN stuff like Hammond....)

P.S.

I helped Carsten to create the XK and SK Midi set 2 years ago cause at that time I had both at home.... it was a PITA I can tell you!

They are a lot of mistakes in the Manual (Midi Impl pages).

Midi Ox tells different stories than the tables in the Manual.....

Nope. I respect what the people who have developed this are trying to do,and I am hoping for the best outcome.

Besides, we need a module that can do Hammond! I am really hoping for that.

I think there are some people who are too ready to trash things and I don't want to become that.

There are a lot of things that the HX3 does really well. I just need to find out if my unit has any quirks first.

LX,

maybe you dont know, bit there is a HX Forum (its in german but you can ask in english too) where the developer (Carsten aka bovist) is active !

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=97430a8cf69dae529a69688f8521a8be

When you have very specific topics you can weite to info@keyboardpartner.de

They are more responsive as in the past now....

cheers Markus

hello MG ,

in that latest update ( 8/28 ) does that mod on the 16 pedal

change the tone at all ? i have an x3-2 and i think the pedal tone

is the only weak spot, it's not very deep , not very usable .the organ

itself though, has been incredible . i haven't heard a demo of

it yet that really does it justice . it does sound way better in person

for sure

Hi Bill,

yes, you are right, the pedal tone could be improved.

I will check it out today or tomorrow on the Expander.

I will meet Wolfgang Uhl within the next 2 weeks. Maybe I

can force him to adress this to Carsten.

I think they have a Meeting this week!

Other than that, the X3 IS indeed INCREDIBLE !

;-)

yes, the XK-set is made for the XK3/XK3c and the SK-Set for the SKx.

this is timely information for me as I was ready to purchase (already passed on one) a Hammond XK1 (not the XK1c) on eBay. I'll wait now until I can afford a XK3 as a controller, which I knew I really should do anyway.

:nopity:

A customer who purchased an HX3 Module during the recent sale regretfully had to cancel his purchase due to personal circumstances. So, we have ONE unit that we will offer at the $625.00 Sale Price. This is for ONE UNIT ONLY If you're interested, please enter the promo code MYCHANCE during the check out process.

Thank you for your support,

Diversi

Diversi Musical Products

i just got an email from wolfgang , he will be sending out an

upgrade package in two weeks .

bill, just talked to Wolfgang, the pedal tones are on the agenda !

;-)