Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

Hi Key Master. The vr09 cannot accept programme changes from an external keyboard. It completely lacks the ability to do this. I tried, unsuccessfully, to make it do this myself about a year ago.

To quote Craig again:

"It responds to program changes but only at the "tone" level not the registration level.. which means that you can switch from an acoustic piano to strings by sending an MSB and LSB, but this doesn't seem to apply to registrations..."

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Problem has been solved. It was a midi channel transmit error on my part. I hate DUE (dreaded user error). Thanks for your help forumites

Key Master D

Kurzweil PC3(KORE64) & SP4-7, Mellotron M4000D Mini,Hammond XK1/Ventilator, MicroKorg XL, Oberheim OB3 Squared, Roland VR-09

What happened to Craig? Why isn't he on this forum?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Is there nothing that little board can't do?

Sound like a Hammond? (That should wake him)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I thought he got permanently banned....hopefully he'll return!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Yes, please be more clear. What are you doing, and what is not working?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Just a note - I had a tune where I needed to layer a Piano and "gospel" organ. I found, of course, that the Leslie effect is routed to both sounds. So I didn't use my VR-09 for the song (used a Jupiter 50). Then on the Yahoo forum, someone suggested setting the keyboard to Atelier mode, and that worked - Leslie effect applied ONLY to the organ! The downside, though: ALL effects were applied ONLY to the organ - except reverb. Add to that that the Atelier mode is NOT stored with a registration (it's a global setting), and you get a mixed bag: The setup I wanted, but I can't just dial it in fast - I need to set the Atelier mode for it, then set it back to OFF for the rest of my sounds.

Bill -

David was joking. He knows exactly what happen to Craig, right David?

It's just not discussed here on this forum.

:nopity:

Bill -

David was joking. He knows exactly what happen to Craig, right David?

It's just not discussed here on this forum.

This is true... Craig is a good guy. I think we all miss him.

• 4 weeks later...

Question(s) on VR 09

Hello MPN,

We bought a VR 09 one year ago (because of weight and battery supply) but got the time to explore it only in the last weeks.

Since we encountered all those known design bugs (working as an IT professional this reminds me of what you get when giving a project to a bunch of junior programmers comming straight from high school or as the glorious result of another gloriously outsourced development...).

Serious.... here is a quite annoying phenomene: when switching between registrations loaded with lots of effects (eg. to make the organ sound like something that could be interpreted as an organ ;)), there is something like declining artifacts of the effects of the former register on the new register.

It's very clear when switching from organ to piano, where overdrive, compression etc is applied to the piano for the first 1-2 seconds right after the switch:

http://frrranky.de/upload/RegisterWechsel_AtelierOff.WAV

http://frrranky.de/upload/RegisterWechsel2_AtelierOff.WAV

The effect is less worse when the VR runs in Atelier mode, it seems that the (organ) effects are more radicaly switched off when you change to the new register.

Do you all encounter the same effect (= another design bug) or is this a particular problem of my VR 09 (it's sill under guarantee, so I could send it in for repair).

Firmware is v1.03 (I did the update twice but no change).

Another question on the "single touch quick access mode" (the 3 buttons Organ-Piano-Synth): with the factory organ beeing unusable, is there any (undocumented) trick to save a customized organ to the quick access mode?

Thanks a lot & pardonnez-moi my english

Franky

Yep, that sounds just like mine. I've adopted a method of changing sounds with at least an eighth-note rest to avoid that glitched sound. This is still way better than the 127-velocity trigger of the changed sound that occurred with firmware vers 1.

I've not found a way to overwrite the stock sounds under the three mode buttons but whole-heartedly agree that it would be very convenient to have my own favorite set-ups stored there. However I have programmed several "go-to" sounds' registration spots that are memorized for quick access with a spin of the dial: 10-1 has a fairly clean jazz organ for rock ballads, 14-4 has a loud perc organ with loads of key-click, 15-1 has a raunchy distorted organ Jon Lord style, 13-3 is my dual layered ac piano, 11-1 is my SuperNatural alto sax (only for use when there are no known horn players in the room), 11-3 is a very dreamy pad-piano layer, 5-3 is my own Sitar patch created with the iPad editor, 3-4 is my own bagpipe patch again done with the iPad editor, 16-2 is a big fat layered horn section, and so on. I'll still simply hit one of the preset buttons in a pinch to quickly dial up a synth solo or an accordion or strings or even an ep piano sound.

My VR09 has been gigging in bars and many outdoor events for over two years and I'm very pleased how durable the thing is and my back loves how light it is at the end of every show. I think I am exactly the demographic that Roland built the thing for...weekend cover band and occasional jam night musician that still likes to get a little spacey and experimental in the home studio.

Hello

thanks a lot. So we have to deal with it :) I'll try your 8-the note trick this evening.

Totally agree with you with the market niche Roland was aiming at, it's not a 700/760 successor or another Hammond clone. They could have been more accurate with the software though.

Franky

Yep, that sounds just like mine. I've adopted a method of changing sounds with at least an eighth-note rest to avoid that glitched sound. This is still way better than the 127-velocity trigger of the changed sound that occurred with firmware vers 1.

I've not found a way to overwrite the stock sounds under the three mode buttons but whole-heartedly agree that it would be very convenient to have my own favorite set-ups stored there. However I have programmed several "go-to" sounds' registration spots that are memorized for quick access with a spin of the dial: 10-1 has a fairly clean jazz organ for rock ballads, 14-4 has a loud perc organ with loads of key-click, 15-1 has a raunchy distorted organ Jon Lord style, 13-3 is my dual layered ac piano, 11-1 is my SuperNatural alto sax (only for use when there are no known horn players in the room), 11-3 is a very dreamy pad-piano layer, 5-3 is my own Sitar patch created with the iPad editor, 3-4 is my own bagpipe patch again done with the iPad editor, 16-2 is a big fat layered horn section, and so on. I'll still simply hit one of the preset buttons in a pinch to quickly dial up a synth solo or an accordion or strings or even an ep piano sound.

My VR09 has been gigging in bars and many outdoor events for over two years and I'm very pleased how durable the thing is and my back loves how light it is at the end of every show. I think I am exactly the demographic that Roland built the thing for...weekend cover band and occasional jam night musician that still likes to get a little spacey and experimental in the home studio.

I use the preset registrations for everything but I did work out a trick for certain songs to get two sounds on a single reg button:

Set your big Dual or Split sound (Piano [1] and Pad [2] for example) as the registration. Hit 'EXIT' to remove the Split/Dual and you get the [1] sound with your FX tweaks still in place for verses; hit the registration and you get your big sound back for a chorus or solo.

You're still limited to 4 Registrations but means I can effectively have 8 different sounds to play with on each bank, which is useful as I'm single-boarding at 99% of my gigs.

• 4 weeks later...
Simple question, does the VR-09 have a half-damper function for piano sounds? I'm considering purchasing a Roland DP10 but would like to know if this board has the function before spending close to $40 on the pedal.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

• 4 months later...

I received my VR-09 yesterday. Very pleased with it. I bought it online, of the reviews I read Amazon etc no one mention that it did not send midi via the knobs and faders to a DAW/plugin. After putting in my order I found this thread and was gutted to read that it would not work as a midi controller. I was hoping to control certain parameters of soft synths. I don't need full or any DAW control.

I tried it with Logic X and U-he Diva I was able to assign the 6 knobs of the VR-09 to Diva's cutoff filter etc, using LPX midi assign. However something really strange is happening.

Say the VR-09's overdrive knob is assigned to Diva's cut off. When the knob is at 0 the cut off is at noon. When I move the overdrive knob the cut off filter sweeps anti-clock wise. Which is really weird. I knew it would make no difference but I tried just to rule it out. I tried via midi cable, usb cable and both with same results. All knobs acted the same way no matter what I assigned them to in Diva.

The faders would not assign

Has anyone else tried this? It would seem that the VR-09 does indeed send midi although in a messed up way. I'm sure this could be corrected in a firmware update. Even if it were just the knobs that would be awesome.

If anyone has their VR-09 knobs sending midi correctly to a soft synth can you please tell me what I can do to get mine working correctly.

Hi Sor. Welcome to the forum! :) I don't do anything midi with my VR-09 at all; I just play it - so I regret that I cannot help you, But hopefully others here will be able to assist......

The faders only send sysex data and not standard MIDI CCs so unless you're a MIDI maven, you're not going to get your VR-09 working as a master controller for software - at least not with the fader/drawbars.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Thanks for the replies.

That the knobs actually do send data had me pretty stoked for about 5 seconds.

I would be extremely happy with just being able to assign the VR09's 6 knobs to a soft synth. I much prefer knobs to faders so not being able to use the faders would not bother me. While certainly not loads, 6 knobs for on the fly sweeps etc would be enough. It only takes a few seconds to reassign knobs if need be.

I tried assigning the VR09 knobs on a bunch of soft synths earlier. Dune 2, a couple of Arturia synths, Bazille, Serum and Logics own synths, to name a few. They all acted the same way.

When a knob on VR09 is at 0, the knob on the soft synth it is assigned to is automatically set to noon. When the knob of VR09 is turned from 0 to 10/full, the knob on the soft synth does a full rotation from noon to noon anti clockwise. I did not try on logics pan pots etc as I've no interest in DAW control.

While I was going through these controller assignments of soft synths with the VR09. I also assigned the sub phatty before moving onto the next soft synth. The knobs on the sub phatty worked with the soft synth as you would expect.

On the iPad so far I only checked out the VR09 app. I will see tomorrow how it works with other iPad apps.

I would like to know why the knobs on the VR09 are sending data in a weird way and can I somehow correct it?

I will get in contact with Roland support. I just wanted to know if any other VR09 users were able to assign the knobs on the VR09 to soft synths. The VR09 is 3 or 4 years old now, someone must have tried it with a soft synth.

My midi controller is feeling its age. When looking for a replacement I found the VR09. My initial plan was to use the VR09 with the iPad app via usb. I would use the VR09 sounds for the electric keys some synth and organs. Through midi to an audio interface into a MPB. I use synths like Diva and pianos in main stage. The MBP is also feeling it's age so the VR09 looked like a great and cost effective way to relieve some of the stress it is under.

Looks like I would be better off getting another midi controller, start saving for a new MBP. And sell the VR09 which will be a real shame simply because I can't send data(correctly) via the knobs.

I know I'm reviving a thread that should not be...however I must ask for some help. I have been experimenting with my VR-09 trying to get a Gospel smooth sine wave sound for church use. I started modifying the "Pure Sine" sound thinking it is the closest sound but for some reason I am not moving towards the sound I'm looking for at all. Am I doing it right starting from a preset or should I try it some other way? The sound I'm trying to get to is the one that starts in this video at around 2 seconds in and is more noticeable from 43 seconds on: [video:youtube]

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

Hi Giancarlo, nothing wrong with reviving this thread. Indeed it is inevitable now that it is so long: otherwise we would all have to completely pack up playing in order to get the time to refer back to anything already in it...

I am afraid I can be of little help to you as I have not yet learned to do any deep editing on the VR. I am interested in programming, but I just haven't had time...

Maybe if there were some nice videos showing what to do, I might have a go one day.....

I listened to your sound and think though, that you might possibly get somewhere if you start with the Pure Lead sound (third synth sound). Maybe replace all the delay with a bit of reverb.... and then do whatever else you feel it needs.... Just a thought....

I was wondering, do any of you keep a copy of the latest firmware on your USB stick? Is this a good or bad idea or will it make no difference? I didn't realise I was doing this.....but it looks like it has been there for at least a year!

Also, with regard to the cover band collection: I believe I have been told that it is a bad idea to keep those songs anywhere near my own registrations because apparently there is a danger of them somehow altering whatever programming I have done.

I don't have many registrations though, and it would make my life SO much simpler if I could have everything all together. (Or at least have separate registration sets all on the same USB stick! Maybe in folders???)

Anyways, I have not done any deep editing at all. My sounds are all just collections of sounds with a bit of tweaking to the effects and levels. I don't think I have ever dived into envelope menus etc. Would it therefore, be completely safe to combine everything, on the basis that there is nothing much in use which might be affected by the new sounds?

Cover Band collection could in theory change the underlying synth voices, but not your User Programs.

(In Yamaha speak, the collection could alter your voices but not your performances)

I think what you're describing is probably safe, but I'm not the expert here. You'll need to test each of your patches to be safe, though.

Wes

Thank you very much Wes! That is reassuring! :)

Giancarlo, have you tried factory setting 6-3: Native lead? It uses the Pure lead sound I mentioned above and sounds pretty good to me... :)

I guess I should mention that if you load the entire collection, that it will probably overwrite your user voices!!! You should be able to load one voice at a time with firm 1.02 or newer.

Not sure what happens with the SYN file loading a single voice at a time. But I don't think it matters for you anyhow.

Back up your VR09 first, to a DIFFERENT USB stick than the Cover Collection.