Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2710794 - 08/04/15 04:04 PM Prophet 6 review request
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Downingtown, PA
Please, please, please incorporate a side by side comparison with a vintage Prophet 5 (rev 3) and a blind listening test with some experts who owned a Prophet 5 (ala the old tonewheel/clonewheel shoot out). Come to think of it, a full blown shoot out with some Prophet VSTs, a Creamware Pro-12 ASB, etc. would be awesome!

Edited by Doc Tonewheel (08/04/15 04:27 PM)

#2710908 - 08/05/15 07:02 AM Re: Prophet 6 review request [Re: Doc Tonewheel]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
Don't hold back now. Anymore competing KB's you'd like to add to your wish list? smirk

As an owner of an original Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, the new Prophet has got "That sound". I have heard numerous demos and it sounds great. Now, the only thing that would compel me to check it out in person would be the way the FILTERS sound. Some of the filters on some of the newer DSI synths have been a little on the whimpy side when using them for dramatic filter sweeps. However, the Pro 2 does not appear to suffer from that problem. So, check it out yourself.

That Prophet 6 has modern features and also comes with a WARRANTY. The Prophet can do more than the original, yet it retains the "no menu diving" feature of the original front panel design.

Anyway, knowing the way Dave Smith runs his business, if you have a problem with any of his synths, he takes care of it.

Mike T.

#2711066 - 08/05/15 08:05 PM Re: Prophet 6 review request [Re: MikeT156]
Doc Tonewheel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Downingtown, PA
I would check it out myself if I could f*$%ing locate one, but GC and Sam Ash don't normally stock these. Maybe in NYC, but no where near Philly.

And I always thought that the old shootouts were very informative so I will request a comparison to other Prophet-emulating gear. Hopefully, they will at least A-B it next to a vintage Prophet.

Moderator:  Stephen Fortner