Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

The studio set sends midi out on all 16 channels with no way to disable it, so you have to control that from the VK. On my Hammond I let the FA call up the program and then in that program, disable the lower manual part from being active. There is probably something similar in the VK.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Grr... I can't find it in the manual. How can I assign the "sound modify" knobs on the front panel to affect a part in realtime? I want to be able to control a part's release in a studio set with one of the knobs. I found the "knob" page via the Studio Common menu, but the changes I can make there seem to effect the whole studio set and not just one selected part.

Any idea?

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Considering buying one of these. I know it's not much, but this is a big deal for me. I haven't bought a new synth since my SC88STPro - which I'm still using. Before that, I had a D-5 - which I'm still using.

Right now, I'm using an A800 to play the SC88. I was using the internal sounds in the D-5 but it's started the "warble" caused by the joystick so now I'm just using it as a 2nd keyboard - it goes in to the A800 which can mirror it out, so I put it on its own channel and both boards go into the SC88 and play the sounds. I can select sounds for either board using the buttons/pads/knobs on the A800. I even figured out (with the help of some fellow forumites) how to send the channel the D5 is on to the 2nd audio outputs so our soundperson can adjust the volume of each out front.

If I get an FA06, I'll still need a 2nd board. I'd use the A800.

I can put the A800 in, and put it on channel X, and use its pads to send bank sel/program messages to select sounds and play them from the FAs sound engine - correct?

I've been reading the FA doesn't have aftertouch. Is that the keyboard, or messages? IOW, the A800 does have aftertouch - will it trigger aftertouch functions in the FA.

I actually use my aftertouch on that board for mod, because I made the mod stick up and down the fast/slow on a leslie. On the A800, once you set the aftertouch to be mod like that, it won't change for the various control maps - so you can only set up one thing.

Anyone have an A3/5/800? How does the action compare? I'm not crazy about the 800 as there's no "leverage" on the black keys (you can't play them up to high or they don't go down so easy). I'm also much more likely to accidentally hit wrong keys on the 800. I much prefer the action on my ancient D5 (can press anywhere on the length of the key and seems to "reject" near misses better).

And all this Axial stuff is completely new to me. These are sounds you can download and "install" in your board, yes? Are they created by Roland, or can users upload them and share (like some of the Line 6 or Fender guitar modelling I'm much more familiar with) or both?

Where do they go? Internal memory?

How do you get them there? via USB? I see it has an SD card but I have no computers with SD capability (I suppose I could use a Mac at work maybe).

How many will it hold? I visited the site and saw these icons like iphone app icons - I assume that's a "set" of sounds. Could you download all of them, then upload only the ones you want into the board (say 1 set for 1 gig and another set for another gig)? Do you have to download them and install them to audition them all? If there's ones you like can you keep them and delete the others, etc.???

I'm sure it has plenty of sounds and they sound good. No worries there. And I could certainly still use the A800 with the SC88 if I wanted some of those sounds (most are probably duplicated on the FA though, or at least some resemblance).

I had a great sound for Tom Sawyer created from a modified patch on the D5, but there's nothing on the SC88 that even comes close (there may be a way to get the reso sweep going, I just haven't dealt with all the CC changes because then it needs to go on its own channel so I don't have to do a reset to get rid of any CC changes).

Those are the kinds of things I'd be interested downloading - though I'm sure I could make one on the FA.

for its price, is the the best thing I can get?

After touch = I'm pretty sure it's just the keys that don't produce it but if you connect a controller that does I think it would work.

axial = you can download all of the EXP packs, but only 2 can be installed at once.

But yes you could install say the pianos for one gig and create live sets(combis/performances) and then u install those and put the Brass and vintage keys on for another for example.

But the setups with the pianos won't work unless you reinstall the pianos exp pack for example.

The sounds are from Roland, they made extension boards called SRX , these are still pretty pricey and are 10 years old at least but I really like the strings exp.

I think the exp have 90% of what the SRX boards had but for free.

Easy to install just look on YouTube, doesn't take long or require much knowledge, just a Computer with an sd card slot or hub to put them on.

As they've been out for over a year now they are starting to appear on eBay/gumtree etc., and a lot of people that buy them just keep them at home in a studio or bedroom so are pretty much in new condition. I got mine for £435 and was as good as new.

Negatives are.

Shinny surface is very easily scratched.

Hard to read the writing (on the surface not the screen) on stage as its shinny silver on black.

Keys are slimmer than what I'm used to

Key bed doesn't feel great but for strings,organ,brass etc it's fine as long as you don't want to play piano on it. Think it's the same as Juno d,Di,g.

Doesnt have supernatural Brass

Only has a few SN string sounds

But there are many pros

Lightweight

Looks good

Sounds great

Split and layer 16 sounds

Great screen

Easier to figure out due to the layout and screen

Can save over 500 of your own setups.

Sample pads (record anything and instantly play it back) great for going on spottily and recording the whole song you're learning and then having it a pad to practice it, or using it for band play on music.

Balanced outs

The only other I would consider in the price range with 61 keys is the Yamaha moxf6

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

I did read there was a programme for people to share there sounds and live sets but I haven't done it and I don't think it's anywhere near Kurzweils ksetlist or Nords user sharing

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

This is where you can download a few user sounds for FA, and a user-made software to export single sounds.

http://jp-80.com/fa/fa.html

Regarding Axial sounds, there are the EXP sounds in the FA section that are basically the SRX cards - you can load two of those at a time, and then there are synth sounds in the Integra section, here's how to install them on the FA:

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/63079118/FA-06_08_Import_e01.pdf

you can load several of them I think.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and just wanted to know if what ive been told by Roland Technical rings true with you guys.

My issue is that i am trying to use my new FA-06 in pretty much the same way as i use my old JV-1080 by predominantly using it as a sound module driven from an 88 note hammer action midi controller. Thats all well and good if you turn the remote keyboard function of the FA-06 on meaning the external controller acts exactly as if its the FA's keyboard but that means you cant play anything different on the FA keyboard.Not what i wanted.Try setting it up like on the JV-1080 and use the FA in studio mode with more than one of the 16 parts set to the input MIDI channel of the controller and its great for layers. Try and use the keyboard split points and it ignores them if the different parts are set to the same MIDI channel so it just ends up playing massive layers.Rolands answer is thats how ALL their workstations are designed and i need to have a midi controller that i can set keyboard splits into with different midi channels!!!!!

Needless to say i havnt got that capability and even if i did why would i want to waste time setting up half my studio set on one machine then have to do the other half on another machine? Hope you guys can tell me how to get around this problem as it just seems to beggar belief that the FA cant do something that a 20 year old piece of kit by the same manufacturer can.

Roly

I have no problems controlling studio sets from a controller. The issue may be limitations in your controller.

I treat the Studio Set exactly like a virtual 16 space rack. I setup all my zones/splits/layers up in the Controller. In the Studio Set you can play what want from the FA by selecting the active MIDI channel while the Controller plays whatever the controller's performance setup dictates. I do this a lot if I am grabbing poly sounds for a controller's performance setup but playing a lead from the FA-06 board.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have no problems controlling studio sets from a controller. The issue may be limitations in your controller.

I treat the Studio Set exactly like a virtual 16 space rack. I setup all my zones/splits/layers up in the Controller. In the Studio Set you can play what want from the FA by selecting the active MIDI channel while the Controller plays whatever the controller's performance setup dictates. I do this a lot if I am grabbing poly sounds for a controller's performance setup but playing a lead from the FA-06 board.

I understand how you are controlling the split points ands it's exactly what Roland tech said I had to do by using an external controller to manage the keyboard splits and assign each one to a different channel. I'm afraid to say my point was and still is that surely this can't be the only way to achieve this on such a modern piece of equipment when one of its predecessors 20 years ago was able to accept all notes on a single channel and filter them to the assigned parts according to the keyboard range designated to each part. This thing understands keyboard splits but appears to stubbornly only want to apply them to the physical keyboard and not note data via midi.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that the Bullwinkle model?

Maybe instead of Midi Moose and Mouse, they should have called Moose & Squirrel!

boris-badenov.jpg

If people want it badenov they might. :cool:

/duck

/run

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Anybody want to share their Wurli settings?

Ive been practicing with Vibrato Reed for use on Pink Floyd stuff and hopefully Beatles stuff (Come Together, Revolution etc..). Its got some overdrive in it too. I had to EQ a lot of the bottom out of it and boost the mids and highs (like just about every other patch on the FA). It cuts pretty well. I am trying to use the FA08 instead of my NE2, which has great organic Wurli that cuts right through.

I am working on modifying the Pure Reed tone with amp modeling and had some success using Overdrive through the 3 stack amp sim, but I need to do more work on that. The Vibrato Reed was a nice shortcut.

Anybody want to share their Wurli settings?

Regards,

Joe

JoeP, I did quite a bit of tweaking on mine to get that thin, biting PF sound. I don't have my FA set up right now but I'll try to remember to look at the settings. I have a couple different saved patches.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and just wanted to know if what ive been told by Roland Technical rings true with you guys.

My issue is that i am trying to use my new FA-06 in pretty much the same way as i use my old JV-1080 by predominantly using it as a sound module driven from an 88 note hammer action midi controller. Thats all well and good if you turn the remote keyboard function of the FA-06 on meaning the external controller acts exactly as if its the FA's keyboard but that means you cant play anything different on the FA keyboard.Not what i wanted.Try setting it up like on the JV-1080 and use the FA in studio mode with more than one of the 16 parts set to the input MIDI channel of the controller and its great for layers. Try and use the keyboard split points and it ignores them if the different parts are set to the same MIDI channel so it just ends up playing massive layers.Rolands answer is thats how ALL their workstations are designed and i need to have a midi controller that i can set keyboard splits into with different midi channels!!!!!

Needless to say i havnt got that capability and even if i did why would i want to waste time setting up half my studio set on one machine then have to do the other half on another machine? Hope you guys can tell me how to get around this problem as it just seems to beggar belief that the FA cant do something that a 20 year old piece of kit by the same manufacturer can.

Roly

I gave up trying to use my FA-06 as a module on a few songs using my nord s2.

I could get it to control 1 sound, but say I had 3 sounds with splits in the studio set it would just play 3 sounds , same octave and no splits and have an odd effect added to it.

I just want to be able to play whatever is set up on the FA-06 with the nords keys for 4-5 songs.

If anyone has any advice on this please let me know.

JoeP, I did quite a bit of tweaking on mine to get that thin, biting PF sound. I don't have my FA set up right now but I'll try to remember to look at the settings. I have a couple different saved patches.

Ha-ha, I was hoping you would reply Dan, knowing you are in a Floyd tribute! I'm also trying to create a good Beatles patch, like for Come Together, Revolution etc... It's easy on the Electro, not so much on the FA!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Here's something strange. On the FA-06 I opened menu, effects edit & added overdrive to a Saw Synth lead, pressed write and liked the sound but the overdrive was applied to ALL the programs / tones. I went to menu, effects edit & turned off the TFX on the overdrive in the block chain & pressed write hoping to get rid of it but the overdrive is remaining on all tones!!! How do I remove the overdrive effect so it's not global? Please help

Thanks

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Is it something to do with changing that little lock icon to unlock in the set up?

I think when you unlock it it lets you do separate effects on each track.

Maybe not, that's just my guess.

I always unlock anyway (not 100% sure what it does but have a look

Did you save it with the changes?

Did you create a backup file from a while ago you can revert back to?

Do you mean the overdrive is on all instruments but just on that set up?

Ant you just turn that effect off and get on with other stuff until you figure what's happening?

Didn't create a back up file (stupid I know). Overdrive is on all instruments & yes I just turn the overdrive off and life good until I turn the unit off & back on. I sent an email to Roland but that can be a long long wait for a response.

Fixed!!

Here are the step's for anyone who get's caught in this snafu...

The TFX option in the FA-06 is a system setting, so this will apply whatever effect you have here to every sound (as you have noticed). To change this back:

Press MENU.

Cursor to "Effects Edit" and press ENTER.

Press the #6 button under the screen (which says "TFX" in the screen above the button).

Turn the dial to select "00:THRU." This will turn off the overdrive effect.

Press the #6 button under the screen (which says "System Write" in the screen above the button), to save this setting.

You will probably want to use the MFX option for a sound like overdrive that affects only a single sound (or a few sounds). The MFX setting is saved with each tone separately.

Anyone who's using a Yamaha FC7 - I usually use mines for organ parts on my Electro but decided to plug it into the FA to try it out one night at a wedding.

Assigned it to cutoff and primed myself to do the most outrageous filter sweep ever. Tickled the pedal and the cutoff went from -50 to 127 straight away. Whole band turned and looked at me and I'm to assume the crowd can't listen to Mr. Brightside ever again without getting PTSD. I may as well have used a footswitch.

Is there some parameter I'm missing that makes the expression a little more subtle? It seems to be fine with volume, but everything else is either "NONE" or "FULL THROTTLE!!!!" whenever I move the pedal by a centimetre.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Woah, you got the FC7 to work with the FA? I never managed to do that.

I have a Behringer control pedal, and it feels like it controls the range from 107-127, not a bit more. It's essentially useless.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This tread is very interesting. I'm actually trying a used (mint) Roland FA-06 at home. I may buy it at good price if I like it. My Korg Triton Extreme is getting old and I wanted to try something new mainly for organs/strings/brass/synth sounds.

In the headphone or studio monitors, it sound good but I'm not sure it will 'cut through' in a live mix like the Triton.

How good (or bad) doing the Roland FA in a full band live setting? I play every style of music : country, top40 pop and rock music, and many others. Thank you.

Live : Roland RD-800, Korg Kronos 61

Home : Roland FP-7, iMac 2,93 GHz i7, Presonus Audiobox, Logic Pro X, PianoTEQ

Hi,

This tread is very interesting. I'm actually trying a used (mint) Roland FA-06 at home. I may buy it at good price if I like it. My Korg Triton Extreme is getting old and I wanted to try something new mainly for organs/strings/brass/synth sounds.

In the headphone or studio monitors, it sound good but I'm not sure it will 'cut through' in a live mix like the Triton.

How good (or bad) doing the Roland FA in a full band live setting? I play every style of music : country, top40 pop and rock music, and many others. Thank you.

I use an FA08 in a band setting.. pop/rock. With proper adjustment of the tones you use, it cuts thru just fine. YOu'll love the sound you can get for free from the Axial site.

I, too had an Extreme. Great board as well.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Second David's comment. I played a gig Sunday through nice pro sound and my FA08 piano sounded fantastic. Band was two guitars, bass, drums, bongos and 2 vocals. I was using Bright Piano in mono EQ'd to taste. I also used choirs and Wurli, sounded awesome. :thu:

Signal path was FA08-->Alesis Mixer-->Radial DI-->FOH.

I gig with the FA-06. My experience is the pianos and EPs on the FA-06 sounded and felt very good when MIDI controlled from my S90XS. Any weighted controller would probably work just as well. I just happened to play the S90XS when I got my FA-06.

That default Grand sounds really nice. I think it is called Full Grand. Otherwise the action, travel and curves on the FA-06 makes for much less fun. But the FA-06 is a nice sound engine.

A FA-R with a made for FA 16 pad sample pad controller could be killer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried a Korg Kronos (first generation) today. I like the screen and the OS, but I'm not sure about the acoustic sounds. B3 was great, some good EP too.

It's a demo in a music store, at 1999$ CND, but I can get the FA-06 at 600$ CND.

Of course the Kronos is much more powerful... and the keyboard (61 notes versions) feel way better than the Roland. I don't know what to do...

Live : Roland RD-800, Korg Kronos 61

Home : Roland FP-7, iMac 2,93 GHz i7, Presonus Audiobox, Logic Pro X, PianoTEQ