Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some Larry Carlton - first song is his cover of 'Josie'. There's also a cover of 'Layla'(at 18:00), but the gem is song #2, 'All In Good Time'.

[video:youtube]

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Medeski, Scofield, Martin, Wood

I am fascinated by Medeski's piano work in this clip.

That is really cool! The interplay between guitar and piano is great.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

"Flags" by Bill Bruford and Patrick Moraz

"Jazz from Hell" by Frank Zappa

Patrick Ball playing Irish harp

"Switched-On Bach 2000" by Wendy Carlos

Cannonball Adderly

"Blue Sun" by Ralph Towner

Several discs from Roedelius and Cluster/Kluster

Anthony Newman playing "Ride of the Valkyries" on pipe organ

Some of my own recent flailings from within Logic

A white noise generator

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Martin Page's new album, "Hotel of the Two Worlds" just released a couple weeks ago. I've always loved his writing!

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

This is my album of the summer.

Very cool!

I spent the last couple of weeks obsessively listening to the Yes Progeny: Seven Shows from 72 box set, I had ordered it when it was first listed from our distributor several months ago, but it was back-ordered until recently. Chris Squire's death hit me particularly hard, Yes had been a hugely important band to me growing up, and Yessongs in particular. I decided, as a kind of personal tribute, I would not listen to anything else until I worked my way through all 7 shows.

I don't know if I'd recommend this box to anyone but the most extreme fans, the band pretty much played the same set from night to night, and there wasn't a ton of improvisation, not like, say, the King Crimson Road to Red box from a few years ago. But it is really cool to hear a band at their creative peak killing it from night to night. Like many Yes fans, I've been a bit derisive of Alan White, largely because he isn't Bill Bruford, but hearing him here, I feel I owe him an apology, he absolutely slays every show, and knowing that he only had 3 days rehearsal before this tour, he now has my utmost respect. Wakeman, of course, sounds great, but I never ever need to hear his 6 Wives schtick again for the rest of my life.

The sound quality of the box is amazing, especially given how murky Yessongs has always sounded.

Now I have a backlog of other music to work through, will probably post some more over the next few days.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Some Larry Carlton - first song is his cover of 'Josie'.
Big Carlton fan, but tbh not a big fan of much of his solo stuff (tho I really liked some). His Greatest Hits is a nice collection to have. He's still at his best Steely Dannin' tho. :)

I've been listening to the Complete Bill Evans/Tony Bennett collection lately.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Oddly enough, stuff I feel I cannot add key-board parts to are exactly what I have been listening to, but then that would be like a vacation for me . . . to sit back and rock out and let them do the rocking!

AC/DC "Rock Or Bust"

Fleshtones "Shadowline"

Plimsouls "Everywhere At Once"

Pearl Jam "Better Man"

Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun"

Collective Soul "Shine"

Cracker "Low"

Blue Murder "We All Fall Down"

Asphalt Ballet "Soul Survive"

I guess you can take the girl out of the eighties and nineties, but you can't take the eighties and nineties out of the girl.

:)

Spending the day catching up on some of the new stuff that's come out recently. Really digging a couple of things.

Dave Douglas: High Risk

This album has Douglas on trumpet, Jonathon Maron on electric and synth bass, Mark Guiliana on drums and Shigeto on electronics. Douglas is one of those artists that is always changing from album to album, this album refers back to the jazz-meets-electronica he explored in the last decade on albums like Freak In (one of my personal favorites of his many albums), but where that album featured a fairly large ensemble, this album is more minimal and intimate. Douglas has a lot of space to solo in here, and he fills it beautifully and with a lot of taste. Guiliana's acoustic and electronic drums merge with Shigeto's beats/loops very seamlessly, and the electronics never overwhelm the sound. I've played this album twice today so far, and feel like I'll be giving it a lot of spins.

John Zorn: Pellucidar

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAL_fdp1ljQ

This is by Zorn's Dreamer's band, with Marc Ribot on guitar, Jamie Saft on keys (mostly Rhodes), Kenny Wolleson on vibes, Trevor Dunn on bass and Joey Baron on drums. The Dreamers are what I've always considered Zorn's take on Easy Listening, it's some of Zorn's least challenging material, but it's gorgeously recorded and very well played. I really like Saft's playing in general, and he gets some very tasty solos here.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow