Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and I've been lurking the site for a bit and decided to join in.

My actual name is William and I live in Toronto (But will move away to Montreal next year which I'm excited!)

I'd like to create a band someday: Timeless Symphony. I had the name in my head for awhile and thought hey that sounds pretty cool!(A Progressive Metal band with Neo-Classical influences).

I'm currently looking for a workstation and I was thinking of the Roland Fantom X. I like older versions of the keyboards because the sounds are more "fun" to play with and I like there's a built-in sequencer in it oh and the SRX-Expansion (specially the SRX 06 Orchestral). I also love the older sounds than the newer sounds to be honest

I'm a bit shy at first but thought of saying hi :)

Roland Fantom X6 (Soon), Roland Juno GI.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone

I'm a long time lurker on this forum, but this is my first post here. This forum has been a great source of inspiration for me - as well as a dangerous GAS-instigator ;)

My name is David - I'm a 24 yo part-time/hobby keyboard player from Copenhagen, Denmark. I have been involved in a lot of different projects, but at the moment I'm focusing on my own band 'DoktorDoktor' while I finish my Master of Rhetoric at the University of Copenhagen.

In DoktorDoktor we play original live hip-hop with Danish lyrics. We released our debut album on an indie label in the Spring of 2014, which was great. You can check out some of our (old and low-budget) videos

or

I'm am endorsed by Casio Music Europe, so my live keyboard rig has the Casio PX-5S as the "anchor". It's a great keyboard and it has been a welcome addition to my rig, both sound-wise and weight-wise. Let me just say, I don't miss the days when I had to haul my (otherwise great sounding) Yamaha S90 XS + hardcase to the gigs myself. :cool:

My live keyboard rig consist of the Casio PX-5S, a Moog Little Phatty St. II w. EHX Analog Delay and MXR Talk Box, and a Nord Lead 2X w. TC Electronic Chorus + Reverb.

My rig has changed A LOT in the last couple of years (thanks, GAS), but now I feel like I have found a golden combo with great sounds, a lot of hands on control and a great low weight. (However, I have a plan/dream of upgrading the Moog to a Voyager and the Lead to a DSI P8 at some point).

Here is a picture taken during sound check the other day so you can see the rig:

http://i59.tinypic.com/15wz6u8.png

My home rehearsal rig is driven by MainStage on a MBP - here I use a Korg SP200 and a M-Audio Axiom Pro as midi controllers - and a NI Komplete Audio 6 audio interface. I have taken the MainStage rig with me on gigs a couple of times, but I don't really trust it enough to rely on it completely. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Anyways, that's about it. I'm glad I finally got around to posting here :)

David

David Dyrholm - Copenhagen.

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

Welcome David. Cool pics too!!

Thanks, Mike! I can see that you found me on Facebook as well :)

I have had some pictures taken as well as made two short videos showcasing the Rhodes- and Wurlitzer sounds I use the most (originally tweaked from your download-able sounds). They should come online on the Casio Europe site soon.

I have to say that I'm impressed with the PX-5S - and I'm VERY impressed with the support that you are providing on here, FB and the Casio-forum.

David Dyrholm - Copenhagen.

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

My name is Márton Marczell, I am 21 years old. I live in Hungary and study software engineering; this is the final semester of my BSc, but I'm planning to continue to MSc (however, that would mean an additional two year delay before I start any kind of serious music education, album recording and/or band founding, and I don't know if I can stand that.)

My favourites are Beatles, ELP, Első Emelet* (80s Hungarian synthpop), After Crying (90s to now, Hungarian contemporary-progressive-symphonic-chamber-rock), Toto, recently Snarky Puppy...

I'm currently playing in a jazz sextet and various local (mostly amateur) worship groups. Current gear:

- Roland JUNO-G: main board for everything so far, still planning the upgrade...

- Roland FP-5: this stays at home mostly

- Roland PC-200mkII controller: when 61 keys are not enough

- Roland E-36: sometimes I need built-in speakers

- Walther melodica: mostly a toy

- Peavey KB2 amp

- Two old Proel stands: the 2-tier one is skewed :)

Dream rig A:

- Acoustic piano

- Hammond B3 with Leslie

- Fender Rhodes

- Wurlitzer

- Hohner Clavinet

- Minimoog Voyager

- Vintage analog polysynth such as Roland JX-10 or a modern one such as Prophet 08

- VA, for example KingKORG

- Korg Kronos

- Maybe a Roland FA-08

Dream rig B ("Prog Rig"):

- Korg SV-1

- Hammond XK-3c

- KingKORG

- Kronos or FA-08 for rompled and layered sounds

Dream rig C ("Synthpop Rig"):

- Roland FA-08

- KingKORG

Dream rig D:

- Okay, I could probably put up with not having multiple keyboards on stage just for the visuals and do all of that on a Kronos :)

Not-so-dream rig E ("Play old hits for money rig", should I ever):

- Roland FA-08

* Any administrator here willing to fix handling of Hungarian accents?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

My name is Márton Marczell, I am 21 years old. I live in Hungary and study software engineering

Welcome, Marton. When you get a break from school, came and visit Washington DC. I've got your "Dream Rig A", minus the Kronos, set up at my house. We'll have fun! :cool:

:nopity:

• 4 months later...

I was asked to repost this here:

Hi! My name's Greg, I'm 45 years old, and after 34 years of fits and starts, I'm taking this thing seriously. As with most of those things, there's a lot of good storyline that comes along with it.

As a kid, I wanted to play piano, BADLY. I was different than most, in that it was never a chore for me. My mother saw this, but we were a very low income family. My father was a seasonal cannery worker, and the rest of the year, we lived off his unemployment, combined with welfare. All that said, they tried their best, bought a piano on credit, and put me in lessons with the "church lady".

Somewhere between six months and a year later, they decided they couldn't afford it any longer, sold off the piano, and took me out of lessons.

As a teenager, my mom bought me a cheap Yamaha PSS-480, which I keep to this day because even though it's a toy 80s synth, it has MIDI. I used to use it to transpose sheet music into Deluxe Music Construction Set on my Amiga, back in the day.

Then in the early 90s, I happened to be at Skip's Music in Sacramento, and bought a "professional" synth: a Kawai K1! Again, I still have it, but it has issues. I've cleaned it a few times, but a few keys don't work. Even bigger, MIDI gets confused when you play more than one key and just plays random notes. razz

In April of this last year, I started tinkering again, but was extremely frustrated because of the above issues. I decided enough was enough, and converted an old hobby (classic video game collecting) into a new one. A month later, I was the owner of a Korg Krome, along with a digital piano. I also enrolled myself and my kids in piano lessons; originally, I wanted my good piano/keyboard player friend to teach me, but he insisted he didn't have the time. He was my #1 choice for many reasons, one of which being that he's not only a piano player, but a KEYBOARD player, which to me seemed a logical thing, given what I want to do (play keyboards, uhhh huh heh huh). John's been playing in bands for 30+ years, and is currently in a Journey tribute.

RIGHT. I'm progressing in my lessons fairly well, but the weaknesses I've always had are still there. I seem to have a mental block with music theory and reading music, and the conversion from the paper to brain to fingers is slow, very slow. Nevertheless, I've been working on it, but now I have other hurdles that I'll mention in a minute.

In July of last year, my teacher announced we had a recital coming up. Prior to lessons (and to buying the Krome), I had been working on learning the intro to Firth of Fifth, which is a big reason I bought the new gear. It's tough to learn something like that when not only are some keys not working, but you only have 61 of them! At any rate, I found the sheet music for the intro, and my teacher said sure, if you think you can do it, by all means, and away I went.

I progressed really well, but on rehearsal day I bombed SPECTACULARLY. It also didn't help that I was the only adult in a group of kids ranging from 8 to 17. Can you imagine? I came home and the next day, made a video of a virtually flawless Firth of Fifth (albeit a tad slower). I was determined, though, to not only get the intro down, but learn the rest as well.

A week later, I woke up with my thumb refusing to bend all the way, along with severe pain. The issue would lighten later in the day, but it was bad to the point of not being able to pick things up. I found I could still play, but it wasn't entirely comfortable.

Two weeks later, I woke up with the first three fingers of my right hand in severe pain, which lasted a few weeks before finally going to the doctor. His solution? He printed out two webpages, one a treatise on trigger thumb, the other a treatise on carpal tunnel syndrome. He started pushing me to have surgery, and my thought was, I've had two weeks of symptoms, why should I have surgery?

Combined with other things I didn't like about him, I switched doctors. I got a new one, who had electrical tests performed on my hand to confirm that yes indeed, I have carpal tunnel syndrome. I've managed to stabilize it at very least, and I'm not in pain anymore, although I do have some numbness from time to time in my fingers.

With the trigger thumb, I got a cortisone injection, which seems to have resolved the problem. So with the two things in control, I'm back at practicing... but now I can't play Firth of Fifth anymore. DAMMIT!

Meanwhile... the Journey tribute I mentioned above was formed out of another band that had played together for quite a few years (I want to say 15, maybe more, may be less). I count them all as good friends, very good friends. There seems to have been a shakeup with the band, though, and the lead singer and bass player both left. The bass player is now another good friend of mine, but I don't know the new lead.

Speaking of lead singers, Skip, the guy who left, approached me and said, what do you think about Foreigner? Oh yeah, you know me, I grew up with their music like all those bands. He says great, well, I'm forming a band...

He really wants me to play, like REALLY wants me to play. I told him, this is going to be a lot of work on my part, and I'm willing to do it. Learning new songs is always a good thing, but if I'm going to put out a great amount of effort, it needs to happen. This was Christmas.

He approached me again on Sunday morning, and said yeah, you know I talked to you about Foreigner, but we also want to play some Journey tunes as well. Hot August Nights is coming up (a big shindig in Reno), and that gives plenty of time to work them up.

Nervous? Sure. Excited? Yup. I'd already been working on Journey tunes, along with the Foreigner tunes, but wow. Here's to new adventures, eh?

Once again, hi everyone! :)

Greg

Hello everyone, my name is Michael. I'm 38 years old and I live near Nashville, TN, USA with my wife of 14 years and our 4 kids. Like many of you, I've been lurking here for a while and thought I should introduce myself.

I've been playing keyboard for about 1 month. I also play mandolin, saxophone, and drums at a more advanced level, but I've always wanted to play the keys, so here I am. I have a Yamaha stand up piano that has been in the family for decades, and just bought a Hammond SK-1 (which I love). I've been taking lessons from a great rock / funk keyboardist here in Nashville for about 3 weeks, and while I'm probably the least talented person on this forum, I'm having a ton of fun! There's just something to having the freedom to play chords and melody at the same time, while being able to see the instrument laid out in front of me, that is inspirational.

Anyway, I love the forum and have learned a lot (especially the "SK-1 and 2 Tip, Tricks, and other cool stuff" thread). I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning as much as I can about this wonderful instrument.

Welcome guys!

MichaelMc - we have a few members in the Nashville area, and some more might show up at Summer NAMM. There might even be an organized or semi-organized meet-up, which you'd be welcome to join.

I'm not leaving you out, gchance, but the only location you shared was Skip's Music in Sacramento. I don't know if we have any active forumites near there.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

One, two, testing, one, two.

Is this mic on?

Ok, I'll start the introductions.

My name is Robert and I'm 35 years young guy from Sweden.

(this feels like AA-meeting) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I'm playing keyboards in a coverband.

The band started in -82 (with the same members as today) but back then it was our own songs in rock style.

In the beginning of -90 we converted to covers and by that started to earn some money.

I started with keyboards in the late -70ies and the first one was a organ called Phillinette (I think) and a Roland SH-5.

Through the years I have had something like 25 different keyboards but have settled now with Kurzweil K2500 and K2000.

I also (like everyone??) have my own home studio, and it's based around a Korg D16 and Cubase VST.

Usually there is a list of gears also, so here it comes:

Keyboards:

Kurzweil K2500

Kurzweil K2000

Yamaha DX7 ( actually I like it, but rarely use it)

Outboards:

Tc electronic Triple C

Dbx DDP

Behringer Autocom pro

Digitech Studio quad4

Behringer Ultragain pro

Behringer Virtualizer

Art Dual levelar

Alesis Qudraverb+

2 Patchbays

Samson 16 ch mixer (only for live use)

Sound Modules:

Alesis D4

Emu proformance

Mics:

Sennheiser MD441

Behringer B2

So, that's about it.

Any questions from the audience?

------------------

--Smedis,--

Above is soon 14 years ago and things happen.

So a short update:

I'm not in this cover band anymore. I have started a duo called "Two Far Out" with a singer.

Have sold all hardware and do everything in the box. Only a Motif XS8 as a controller and Maschine mkII...

Now I will wait another 14 year before updating this again...

Hi,

My name is Al Quinn. I'm 56, grew up in Massapequa, NY, and currently live in Center Moriches, NY. I feel fortunate to have always been close to NYC and all of it's amazing culture and talent.

I started playing organ when I was 8 (mostly rock and pop). Played in several rock bands as a kid and got into piano, classical, fusion, blues, jazz, and synthesizer around age 19. In my early 20's I attended and graduated from the Aaron Copland School of Music at Queens College and also took private classical and jazz lessons. I played music full-time until I was 30 and then, in order to support my family, went back to school for electrical engineering and got a day job. Did that for 25 years and retired a year ago. I'm now able to focus on the things that matter most to me -- family, friends, and music -- and am really enjoying myself.

The gear churn through the years has been crazy and it seems that while I'm satisfied with my home gear, I'm never satisfied with my gigging gear. This is what motivated me to check out the online forums and I'm really blown away by the amount of expertise I've been exposed to. Thank you all for that!

If you're interested in checking out my sound, here are some videos:

Jazz piano trio. Rig: Nord Stage 2 (Fazoli XL), 2 QSC K10's

Jazz organ trio. Rig: Electro 4D top manual, Roland Ax Synth used as lower manual midi controller triggering Electro 4D, chopped Leslie 145 with low-end subwoofer

http://youtu.be/YDCVgLNm-T4

Acoustic jazz quintet. Rig: large (9 foot?) Steinway Grand Piano

Thanks,

Al

Welcome, Al! We have a few from LI on here. Legatoboy lives in Huntington Station and I grew up in Centerport though I don't live there now.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Welcome guys!

MichaelMc - we have a few members in the Nashville area, and some more might show up at Summer NAMM. There might even be an organized or semi-organized meet-up, which you'd be welcome to join.

I'm not leaving you out, gchance, but the only location you shared was Skip's Music in Sacramento. I don't know if we have any active forumites near there.

Thanks for the info. I'll check into the meet-up, for sure.

Never introduced myself. I'm late-40's, electrical engineering professor by day, and decided to start playing keyboards about 5 years ago. Joined a rock covers band a couple of years after that. We gig about once a month. I still suck compared to the guys in the band who have been playing for decades, but we're all supportive and in the past year I've felt *almost* ready to do my own improvised solos. Family, then career, then band, and it continues to be a struggle to make room for the band...I get up at 0600 to put in an hour's practice. But those moments when I deeply feel what I'm playing, and communicating with the audience...they're starting to happen more often. Just wish it wasn't quite so hard to make progress.

• 2 months later...

Hello! Lurked for years, coming out of the shadows now.

I've played piano since I was four, got more serious about it in high school. Graduated as a double major in biology and jazz. Now I teach science by day and play/write/gig with my nights, weekends, and summers.

I played piano and composed for a "modern" (for lack of a better term) jazz quartet for a few years, which is now on a hiatus. Now I'm playing in a more fusion-esque group and my attention has swung more towards what new technology and synthesis can do for my creative sonic palette.

Looking forward to conversing and contributing!

Nord: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D

Casio: PX-5S

Yamaha: P-121

Novation: MiniNova, BSII, Circuit

DSI Mopho x4

(I didn't see this thread before)

I'm glad to happen across this forum because it's helped me get my head back in to the game.

I've been playing since the 70's and cut my teeth on the electronics in the 80's. I was initially exclusively a musician but tore some ligaments in my wrist from playing (don't do that). I switched into medicine and now am a vascular surgeon.

I've done composition, studio and various types of gigs (solo to group and a range of styles). I had the most group success with a jam band which is my preference.

I have been out of gigging for about 7 years while tending to other things. Now looking to get back in the public game. I've been upgrading my gear (Kronos, vsts, etc). While it might seem to some like product developments haven't been coming fast enough, the new boards and vsts are a vast improvement to me after a hiatus.

Anyway, the expertise on here is pretty cool. Hope I can contribute.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

Hello. My name is Alex, and I am a keyboard player from Arkansas. I am 78 and learned to play the keyboard as a hobby after I retired. To my surprise, I actually learned well enough to play in public and played for a small church and with a group. I am still trying/seeking to improve my playing skill and enjoying every minute of it. I am not even close in skill as a musician as most of the posters in this forum, but I really enjoy reading the posts. They are very informative, sometimes amusing, and on occasion, unusual. As a hobbyist and due to early on thinking that a better keyboard would make me a better player, I have owned many keyboards. Currently, I have a Roland BK9 and a Casio WK 7600. I would say that the Yamaha Motif XS 76 that I had for 7 years was probably my best overall keyboard.

Hey all, My name is Bob worked in post prod for 33 years, always played guitar and played in a few bands. Came down with a RA type disease, and it took out my basal thumb joints, so much for guitar.

Got into keyboards, and am making the transition.

I Love It! A lot to learn!! Its all about the sound !!!

Thanks, Bob

Korg Kronos 61, Motif XF6, RD-800, K-10s

• 1 month later...

Hello. My name is Doug White, 48 this year. I started this journey at the age of 8 with classical piano.

I often thank my parents for grounding me so much as a kid, there wasn't much to do but play that old Weber upright grand in the basement.

I was just starting high school when I got my first rig. A Rhodes Mark I 73 Stage & Crumar Performer ... I was off & running.

I have been through the gamut of equipment over the years, I am a tech geek of sorts. I feel so fortunate to have grown up during this explosion of tech gear for keyboard players ... from CV, to MIDI, to VSTs ... amazing leaps & bounds.

A recent transplant to San Diego county, from New Haven CT, I am just getting into the music scene here.

I am traveling light these days, Sk1 & SS3 ... if you are in the San Diego area, you can look me up at the House of Blues. I am there providing house keyboards for the weekly pro-jam.

Live Rig: SV-1 | Sk1 | Prophet 6 | Sub37 > SM10 > SS3

• 3 weeks later...

I am in total awe of all of you guys here!

I am 58 years old and got started in key-boarding at age 17 when I was an assistant for the church youth program, playing the Christmas songs on the piano for the pageants and when no one was looking, sneaking up to the big pipe organ and playing "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" on that. Boy did I get some strange looks!

My first real key-board was in 1985 the Farfisa combo organ. $100 at a hock shop (had to borrow $50 from my Dad to buy it at the time, but paid him back the next week).

Then onto the Arp Axxe (had two of them and slaved them together since the keys were messed up on one, followed by Arp Omni, these in the eighties. Had a Korg, too, but really did not do much with that. The patch chords were tough to memorize as to what went where for what sound.

In 1986 wrote some comedy music with fellow band members, Jim Carrell and John Bantner (Jim and I divorced in 1988 and John crossed over 2011). I would say comedy is an equal part of who I am with music.

Dropped out of it all until 1993 when I got my Roland E-16. Tinkered around a bunch with rock and grunge type stuff (Portland, Oregon, was a big place for that and I had an upstairs studio) with some of the local teen guys (how cool that my step-son thought I was cool for liking Nirvana and what not).

:rawk:

A fellow comedian and I took courses so we could get producing licenses for television and did our own shows on Portland Cable Access 1995, 1996 and 1997. I provided the music for our shows as well as exchange music for the station's commercials and other programming so that we could get free editing room time as well as crew working for us (students getting credit towards their producing licenses).

Moved from Portland to here where I live now, McCall, Idaho, in 1998. Pretty much idle in music as I got busy with other things.

I started seriously getting back into music writing again in 2011. Not having access to my equipment from my upstairs studio, the quality of the music pieces I wrote are okay but have that "recorded live" rather than studio sound to them. Will have to see about redoing those one day.

2013 discovered "DrDrum" and have mostly been creating music on that. A whole different ball game from just putting your fingers to the keys. It has been quite a learning curve having to audition the instruments that only have instrument name and number as to what sounds they actually make, so writing music with this program takes a lot longer than just standing at the key-board, putting on the patch number I want, and letting it go while I work out the variations, chord progressions, melody, things to throw in over the top, so forth, but nonetheless, it is very enjoyable as I can add things in in unique ways.

That fellow comedian and I linked back up last year and as of this year, we are doing our comedy and my music on internet radio. I get to write all of the music for our comedy segments, too. What fun and dang blast it all, I own it and not some television station!

:roll:

If you stayed with me this far, thanks for reading! I have been enjoying this forum today (joined yesterday) and glad to have met you! You guys are really a fun bunch!

Wow, what a story! Glad to hear you're back in the fold! Welcome, Lindaru!

P.S. I feel funny saying that. Kinda like realizing I'm in a cult, you know? "Welcome, Lindaru!" with my eyes glistening and earhairs tingling and such. Ok sorry to scare you. Seriously though, this is the closest I've ever felt to being in a cult.

See, every time I read/hear "Lindaru" this is what I think of.

[video:youtube]

2013 discovered "DrDrum" and have mostly been creating music on that. A whole different ball game from just putting your fingers to the keys. It has been quite a learning curve having to audition the instruments that only have instrument name and number as to what sounds they actually make, so writing music with this program takes a lot longer than just standing at the key-board, putting on the patch number I want, and letting it go while I work out the variations, chord progressions, melody, things to throw in over the top, so forth, but nonetheless, it is very enjoyable as I can add things in in unique ways.

Hi and welcome to the forums. I'd be interested in hearing some of your stuff -- if you any of your work on Soundcloud or YouTube, etc. please post it up or shoot me a PM with a link.

I just got started in going this type of thing, but I am using a bunch of modules and mini-synths all synced up thru a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru box. I'll be sharing my new set-up in the forum in a little bit.

But you hit the nail right on the head: It's amazing what can happen when all the separate parts all line up like magic. Glad you found us.

p.s. Don't let Joe talk you into the "$99 Lifetime Keyboard Corner Membership Special". He sold me 5 of them before I finally caught on! :mad: