Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Moved the CPS down onto the concrete floor as suggested. It becomes a wall of stereo sound!! As I write all my Blofeld patches and I use stereo extensively in the programming. I said to myself "Holy Sh*t, this rocks!"

I wonder how it will work on a porch, as this is where my outside gig is on the 18th of July? I guess I will find out then!

Centre Point Stereo Monitor

10" mini tremor sub

Moved the CPS down onto the concrete floor as suggested. It becomes a wall of stereo sound!! As I write all my Blofeld patches and I use stereo extensively in the programming. I said to myself "Holy Sh*t, this rocks!"

I wonder how it will work on a porch, as this is where my outside gig is on the 18th of July? I guess I will find out then!

you play 2 JX-3Ps? that was my first synth ... I still have it, with the programmer module.

I wonder what analog yearners would offer for such a device...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I played an extremely loud gig Sat night, had an ELX112p about a foot behind me up on an amp stand, booming 132 SPL straight at me in that unapreciated directional manner. I was glad I had it, I would not have heard the ss3 with 2 loud guitarists, each certain they needed to be louder than the next, a bass player who must be deaf, two horn players, two back up singers shaking their money makers and a lead singer. stage was so ridiculously loud, ... unpleasantly so in fact. But I couldn't just walk off, its rock n roll, play thru the pain. with a loud ass directional speaker pointed at my head, and i could still just moderately hear myself.

Friends in the crowd said Keys sound great. friends in the crowd don't know dick about proper sound, fyi. a few strangers standing to my right side said I nailed the keys, they might have heard my monitor as much as the FOH, they were behind the FOH speakers to my side. they all love stereo APs played mono. e.g. they know as much as friends out in front of house.

I cannot wait for Aspen's SSXL ... I will be back in line. (at least thats who I read his non-announcement :))

I jest, partly in sadness that SS3 doesn't work in my too-loud situations. I'm really happy it works so great for so many, nobody more deserving in the amp biz than Aspen imo.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I had my first practice with my Stones Tribute band since my debut gig using the SS amp. They told me after practice that THEY wished I had brought the SS to our jam space as they could hear me so much better at the gig! We tend to get a a lot louder at our gigs as well. Although I monitor in Stereo at the jam space, my signal goes out mono to a typical FOH PA set up. My set up stays there. Sorry boys, but at 40lbs. The SS only goes to gigs. I am not dragging the SS up the stairs from my studio to my car, then from the car up 3 flights for both of my bands for every practice!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

still waiting for any tips from the experts on great mono AP library for Motif XF ...

Vintage Keys by Dave Polich

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

still waiting for any tips from the experts on great mono AP library for Motif XF ...

I got the "Premium Collection" with my MOXF that has some great AP's in it. The S900 (i think from the S90), a CFXIII Grand (??sp??), and a few others. I've got DPs Vintage Keys set as well. There are some great voices in it for sure, but I wouldn't buy it for the Acoustic Pianos. There are occasionally people selling their "Premium Collections" on eBay so you might set up a watch there. Other than that, there are a few Acoustic Piano libraries available through the Motifator store but I don't own any of them so can't help you much there.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

For anyone who hasn't heard this amp ... here is the SS3 easily cutting through a thick mix with 2 guitars, bass & tenor. The stage volume was pretty loud on the instruments & the drummer has a lighter touch, so fell back into the mix.

The SS3 is to my 7-8 o'clock on an ultimate amp stand, set a the 12's for volume & spread.

You can see it a little better here on this one, extra guitar player on this tune, so three guitars, bass, horn, drummer has a much heavier hand. This amp still has no trouble cutting through. I switch up from the B3 to a piano somewhere around the 6:00 mark, if you want to hear that sound. That patch was overly loud in the mix, have to adjust that. But, the tequila was flowing that night & I get a little stupid on some glisses, pay no mind to that.

Live Rig: SV-1 | Sk1 | Prophet 6 | Sub37 > SM10 > SS3

Hi Doug!

Looks like a fun Monday Night gig!

But just to confirm...your SS was behind you, on your left hand side, on a stand....

Upright or horizontal? Was it directly facing you or was it pointing straight out into the crowd? And roughly how many feet away was it from you?

It certainly cut through extremely well!

Niven.

I have one with the original PG-200 (it was my late wife's) and I bought a second one without the PG-200) in 2013. I use them as a 4 oscilator rig, by offsetting the ADSR etc on idenitcal patches. Really like them as one midi analog setup

you play 2 JX-3Ps? that was my first synth ... I still have it, with the programmer module.

I wonder what analog yearners would offer for such a device...

Centre Point Stereo Monitor

10" mini tremor sub

Niven ... off my left ear, upright, aiming towards my left ear & across the stage at a bit of an angle towards the front.

On one of these stands at ~20 degree angle:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002PZ3BY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d21_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-3&pf_rd_r=15KMGEPSRVBS37KYWH2E&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2084660942&pf_rd_i=desktop

... here is the SS3 easily cutting through a thick mix with 2 guitars, bass & tenor.

Sax is an alto, not tenor. No big deal, important only to us sax players. :)

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I love SAX

... and violins.

Every song is better with gratuitous sax and senseless violins.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Vintage Keys by Dave Polich

VK doesn't have any APs, does it? I have/use VK for his wurlys, Lets Go (dual synch), Jump, ... some others. he had a CP but it doesn't sound like an acoustic piano, its more of an 80s electric piano.

XF has one stock mono AP, its not good imo. the answer may be one does not exist, i don't know.

I got the "Premium Collection" with my MOXF that has some great AP's in it. The S900 (i think from the S90), a CFXIII Grand (??sp??), and a few others. I've got DPs Vintage Keys set as well. There are some great voices in it for sure, but I wouldn't buy it for the Acoustic Pianos. There are occasionally people selling their "Premium Collections" on eBay so you might set up a watch there. Other than that, there are a few Acoustic Piano libraries available through the Motifator store but I don't own any of them so can't help you much there.

thanks for the note. I have many good stereo APs, the Premium collection has some that were in Inspiration in a Flash, which I installed. I don't recall any good mono ones, maybe I should recheck.

Hey Doug, gettin down man. I loved it when you did your two handed smear and almost tipped your stand over. One downside of a 12 pound organ. Oh, ummm...

When I've talked about my bar gig in Santa Monica, this jam is basically the same thing. Same instruments, same volume, same tunes, I also have the SK1 but we have a girl singer who does some Peggy Lee and Etta James.

The SS kills. Everybody loves it.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Thanks Bob. Fun times, one of these days I am going to flip that thing over, I know it.

The SS replaced my Hartke KM100, which was my favorite amp for a while now and my little Fender Passport rig.

The sound, footprint & weight of the SS just makes it a no brainer to me.

Sk1 + SS = ~55lbs of pure playing pleasure. I feel very mobile these days, toss them in the car at a moments notice & roll. A far cry from lugging around a bunch of gear for a bar gig that still pays the same $50-$75 it did 25 years ago. Only if the money/venue is right will I be carrying multiple keyboards around & I'd still be using the SS for my stage monitor with a DI to FOH.

I watched Doug White's video--nice--and thought this might be nice contrast. I hope I haven't posted it already, but here is singer Iraida Noriega, guitarist Ken Basman and me. The SS3 didn't have to cut through anything as you'll hear.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I watched Doug White's video--nice--and thought this might be nice contrast. I hope I haven't posted it already, but here is singer Iraida Noriega, guitarist Ken Basman and me. The SS3 didn't have to cut through anything as you'll hear.

Wow Doug, great stuff...what a voice (the pianoman and guitarist ain't bad either).

I especially liked it when she sat down on stage framed by the SS3 and your KB, very dramatic and perfect for that song. I'd like to link that on our CPS website, with your permission.

I recall you had posted another song from this concert with the whole but this one was new to me...many thanks for sharing.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Of course, Aspen--use it any way necessary, just give the musicians credit. She's the real deal. The interesting thing about this video is that I used the AP sound on my Yamaha s80 which us far from my favorite, but running it through the SS3 changed all that.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Looking into an amp stand to try the "aim the side speaker sideways" trick. Anyone using something like this one? Seems like it might work, keep the SS3 closer to the floor but give room for the side speaker to fire down.

On Stage Stand

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com