Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2699602 - 06/24/15 12:57 PM live sound monitors
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ok, I'm going to try posting down in the cellar here. If I don't get any responses I'll blame J. Dan. wink

What do you (or your band) use for live sound monitors? IEMs? Floor monitors? Side fill from mains slightly behind you? Something else?

#2700163 - 06/26/15 08:14 AM Re: live sound monitors [Re: Eric VB]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I've used everything you can imagine.....what do I prefer? Depends.

The best setup I ever gigged with was my old 80s tribute - everybody was on IEM's. We had a splitter snake and our own monitor mixer, each with our own mix. Just about everything ran direct including electric drums. Best sound ever.

But I don't have that luxury anymore. If I can get my own kix and everything is mic'd up, I'll run IEM's. If not, if the house has monitors and can give me my own mix, I'll use that. If not, I run my keys and vocal through a QSC K10 and chain it out to FOH.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2700195 - 06/26/15 10:02 AM Re: live sound monitors [Re: J. Dan]
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Interesting "every man for himself" approach.

With every band I've been in the guy who owns the PA brings floor monitors for everyone to use, or one guy brings the PA and another brings monitors. That's usually two wedges up front to be shared by three people. The drummer is the odd man out unless he/she brings his/her own monitor. Most bands I've been in just run vocals through the monitors, although (1) if keys are present and DI'd then they're in the monitor mix and (2) sometimes a small guitar amp is mic'd and in the monitor mix. Not ideal, of course, but for small rooms it gets the job done.
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
I run my keys and vocal through a QSC K10 and chain it out to FOH.

We had the pleasure of having a pair of QSC K10s one night. Everyone liked them.

We've also had the unfortunate experience of Kustom 10s (both active and passive varieties). The passive was used by a singing drummer and fed back off her vocal mic all night. The actives didn't feed back but both varieties sounded a little thin. What do you expect from cheap 10s though? Otherwise, they are small and light weight.

Being budget-conscious, I have a pair of Peavey PV 12Ms. To my ear the 15s didn't sound better enough to warrant the added weight and size. I think for the price they do a decent job of handling mainly vocals, although one singer hates the sound so much he said I should get them checked because they sound like they're broken. Certainly not as good as the K10s but not nearly as bad as the Kustoms. And they're light/small enough I can carry them one in each hand.

Another setup had some old JBL 15s. These were nice and small for 15s but they were heavy. The original handles were replaced with DIY metal straps wrapped in foam but they still cut into your hands. Nice sound, but having to carry them around one at a time hurt load in/out time (not to mention my hands).

Sometimes "mains" were used for monitors. These were all 15s, I think, some active, some passive. Yamaha, Behringer and even Fender are the ones I can remember. They all got the job done, but again they had to be carried one at a time.

Edited by Eric VB (06/26/15 10:05 AM)

#2700276 - 06/26/15 02:18 PM Re: live sound monitors [Re: Eric VB]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
A lot of guys over on the keyboard corner really like the EV ZLX 112P - it's $400 (less if you can find a good deal) and has really good sound. There was also a recent thread on Alto's, which are even cheaper, not quite as good sounding, but for the price, a good deal.

Most of the venues I play provide house sound with monitors (usually 15" 2-ways). The problem I've run into is that usually they only have 4 mixes and I'm playing in 5-pc bands. The drummer always gets a monitor and usually 3 across the front, which leaves me odd man out. In one of the bands I'm filling in with, I'm also playing guitar. So I run keys and guitar in my K10 and ask for as much of my vocal as the Bass player can tolerate in his wedge. I can usually hear everything else fairly well from their monitors and use mine just to add more of my keys and guitar. But in that band I have a real hard time hearing my vocal. It doesn't matter since I only do a few backups. In some of the other bands where I'm singing some leads and a lot more backups, I can't get by without vocal in my monitor.

These are generally larger venues, so everything has to go through monitors.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2700895 - 06/29/15 07:06 AM Re: live sound monitors [Re: J. Dan]
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
There was also a recent thread on Alto's, which are even cheaper, not quite as good sounding, but for the price, a good deal.

At my last gig the guitarist brought an Alto and he liked it a lot.

Moderator:  Jeff Klopmeyer