Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monty Alexander & John Clayton (1983). A superb duo recording that was out of print. Thanks to #MontyAlexander for the upload. Check out Monty's solo piano performance of Caravan!

<--Playlist of album

[video:youtube]

What's the identity of the keyboard covered in stickers?

I'd vote for Roland but don't know which model.

By the way, don't you think the guitar player has too much overdrive in his sound? Makes the harmonies sound muddy.

Pittsburgh show 1975. The synth isn't loud enough on the board mix tapes. Must have been screaming on stage.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 2 weeks later...
Next up was The Purge, the new record from DRKWAV, a new trio with Skerik (Critters Buggin, etc) on sax, John Medeski on keys and drummer Adam Deitch. The album is surprisingly synth heavy, in fact there are relatively few moments that I would specifically identify as Medeski, which is very cool. Really digging this on first listen.

Picked this record up in Toronto the other day. Thought about pre-ordering, balked, jumped on it when I saw it in store. Listened to it twice and it is fantastic. I'm a big fan of all three dudes and this record hits so many influences and goals for me. Very cool. Gonna be listening to it with the whole band for sure.

Also picked up:

Sonny Rollins, Way Out West

Billy Preston, Wildest Organ In Town

Moraz and Bruford, Music for Piano and Drums

Meade Lux Lewis, Blues Piano Solos

Stevie Wonder, Hotter Than July

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Beard in John Scofield's band, 1987-ish:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFjkIkRcwVk

Proof that there was good electric jazz in the '80's! Beard is a great player, and seriously under-recorded. I really like his voicings and timbres here, the sounds are very spiky-digital 80's, but he uses them in very cool, expressive ways. Bonus proof: pro keyboardists used Casio boards before the PX-5s, check out the Fuzzy-One on his top tier.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I've never posted to this thread, but lately I've been enjoying this CD by Steve Tyrell. These songs are classics now, and I've heard better singers do them all, but I'm enjoying the arrangements and the playing, especially Joe Sample and Alan Pasqua

Allergic to Water - Ani DiFranco

Is there a better songwriter around (quantity and quality)? Although different musically, she is the one current artist I know that is as adventurous with lyrics and phrasing as Joni was in her prime.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I'm calling it.

"I Can't Feel My Face" by The Weeknd will be the song of the summer.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Meh. Sounds like a track that was cut from Xscape.

It's not the be-all-end-all for me either. But you can't underestimate the general lack of taste of the American public. I'm telling you, this thing is going to invade terrestrial radio.

Not saying that's a good thing.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50