Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask a question about my river photo above. I have a manual camera app so was able to select ISO. I went for 2000 cause it was the highest number. I was able to balance the phone on the parapet of the bridge.. Do you think this was a poor choice for a nighttime shot in those sorts of conditions?
I crank up the ISO all the time for dark shots. I don't have that option on my iOS devices. The negative of high ISO is if there's too much noise. If you don't think there is, then the ISO isn't too high IMO.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks Joe! That is good to know. I was quite pleased with how it came out: a lot less noise than I have been getting with my iPad. :)

BTW - that photo was taken on an iOS device: an iPhone. I have found some excellent manual camera apps which allow you to adjust most things (except aperture size) just like you would on a proper camera. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I agree with Joe's comment. It's noise that's the issue at high ISO levels, but if it looks fine, it is fine.

I agree with Joe's comment. It's noise that's the issue at high ISO levels, but if it looks fine, it is fine.
Wow - I was right? Cool!!! :D

BTW - that photo was taken on an iOS device: an iPhone. I have found some excellent manual camera apps which allow you to adjust most things (except aperture size) just like you would on a proper camera. :)
I just haven't gotten around to deciding if any of them are worth it for me. Also I try to force myself to use my DSLR sometimes. :)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Couple of announcements:

Lightroom 6 is now available: Lightroom 6

Main new features are HDR merging and making panoramas. Not a big deal for Photoshop users, but the cool thing is that you can use these features on RAW files in Lightroom.

Also, VSCO (Visual Supply Co.) now has a free starter pack available for Lightroom: VSCO Film 00

VSCO mainly makes presets and color profiles for Photoshop and Lightroom that emulate film. I've been messing around with the presets on some digital files and the results look pretty nice. For the price of free, you can't beat it!

I'm torn about Lightroom 6. I don't like leaving Lightroom so I'm happy they're adding many new features (HDR, Panorama and more) but I don't think I like the subscription model.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'll bet you feel all gushy and stuff.

I'm torn about Lightroom 6. I don't like leaving Lightroom so I'm happy they're adding many new features (HDR, Panorama and more) but I don't think I like the subscription model.

Mike, Lightroom 6 is still available as a standalone product, so you don't need to get Creative Cloud yet. Upgrade cost is $79 for current Lightroom users with a standalone license.

I've actually been contemplating the Lightroom/Photoshop CC plan. I've been upgrading Lightroom every new release anyways, so for $40 extra bucks a year I can get Photoshop too. But I need to get a new computer first before I decide this; my current machine is straining when doing all the dust removal I have to do on my hi-res film scans.

I'll bet you feel all gushy and stuff.

:roll:

Well I personally am in shock...! :o ......coz I was under the impression that Joe was ALWAYS right (even when he was left)! ..... My illusion has been shattered..... :Python:

But so worth it :boing: coz I always hoped I would one day find a way to shoehorn that MP foot smilie into a comment.... :D :D :D

:D

I think the takeaway in all this is that we need to listen to Joe. All the time.

Well, duh. Just ask my wife. She'll agree, I'm sure of it.

Can I ask a question about my river photo above. I have a manual camera app so was able to select ISO. I went for 2000 cause it was the highest number. I was able to balance the phone on the parapet of the bridge.. Do you think this was a poor choice for a nighttime shot in those sorts of conditions?
I crank up the ISO all the time for dark shots. I don't have that option on my iOS devices. The negative of high ISO is if there's too much noise. If you don't think there is, then the ISO isn't too high IMO.

Joe is right. And we do need to listen to him. All the time. Even his wife says so.

And to elaborate on this, in this particular instance, you probably don't have much of a choice but to hike up the ISO if you want to get the shot.

If you encounter a low light situation, you only have a few choices:

- Boost the ISO. You did that.

- Open the aperture nice and wide......f/2.8....f/1.8.....f/1.4......good and wide!!!! That's probably not possible on a camera phone (if there's one that does that, shout it out!).

- Increase the length of the exposure by keeping the shutter open. I think some camera phones can do this. But of course, you would need to stabilize the phone with a tripod, more than likely. This would create a slight blur in anything moving, depending on how long of an exposure it is. That could be cool. Water often looks fantastic like this, and that's how a lot of people get those beautiful waterfall or babbling brook photos (see below).

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/westvirginia-2014-waterfall/images-westvirginia-grandview-cathedralfalls/1265westvirginia2014_kenlee-cathedralfalls-1siso100f22-960px.jpg

It doesn't take much. This is just a one second exposure.

If it's low light, you wouldn't have to stop down (use a smaller aperture), as I did here.

Brilliant!! Thank you so much Ken. :) That is all now crystal clear in my head. I can indeed change the shutter speed - I have recently aquired an app called "Slow shutter" which seems to allow for a speed of 1, 3 or 10 seconds!!! It hadn't yet occurred to me that I might be able to try some water effects shots with it...... (Have not had time to do much of anything recently...). I am SO excited about your suggestion and will try it out ASAP. :)

BTW: absolutely stunning waterfall!

Brilliant!! Thank you so much Ken. :) That is all now crystal clear in my head. I can indeed change the shutter speed - I have recently aquired an app called "Slow shutter" which seems to allow for a speed of 1, 3 or 10 seconds!!! It hadn't yet occurred to me that I might be able to try some water effects shots with it...... (Have not had time to do much of anything recently...). I am SO excited about your suggestion and will try it out ASAP. :)

BTW: absolutely stunning waterfall!

Thanks! I am glad that you can slow the shutter. That enables you to do all sorts of things.

What a lot of people do in the daylight, myself included, is they purchase a neutral density (ND) filter for their lens. This is sort of like sunglasses for the camera, only it is supposed to impart no color hue (hence the description "neutral"). This decreases the amount of incoming light, allowing you to slow the shutter, great for things like this or all sorts of other uses, including creating motion blur during bright days, etc.

In low light situations, of course, you (most likely) don't need to do that. It's already dark.

And I'm pretty sure this is what Joe would say. He may also advise us to root for the Rockets. And we might need to do that. :D

And I'm pretty sure this is what Joe would say. He may also advise us to root for the Rockets. And we might need to do that. :D
Of course! :taz:

Seriously Ken, thanks for the tip on the ND filter. That's a new one on me. I wonder if there's one for iOS devices as well - there probably is, they make all sorts of things for these cameras.

Sure thing!

If there isn't, there's a lot of people who are using cheap welding glass. The thing, though, is that 1.) it leaves a green color cast which you need to get rid of in post-processing, and 2.) it's really really dark, so you are talking about a really long exposure.

My best wishes go out to everyone affected by the earthquake in Nepal, Bangladesh, India, Tibet and elsewhere.

8580kenlee_india-shantiprayerflags25sf35iso400-flat.jpg

Well said Ken. +1 This photo is wonderful - one of my favourites of yours. :)

Thanks for the tip about the ND filter. I will see if it is possible to get one.

Beautiful flowers Bill. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brett! :) The trick to photographing fairies is not to be too imp-patient. They do not like to be photographed; they prefer to take s-elf-ies......

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was the opening of the Missouri Botanical Garden's Lantern Festival. To wit:

17866079599_479fcbcc87_c.jpg

The Lantern Way by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

17429717864_146a82686d_c.jpg

Peacock Vase by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

18067463531_8480a7e5d0_c.jpg

Porcelain Stupas Pagoda by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

18040087406_43650f3f7d_c.jpg

Soaring Dragon Horse by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

17446081033_05963739ea_c.jpg

Cherry Tree Arches by Bill Wilcox, on Flickr

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Here is one from a couple days ago. I posted it on 500px and it reached #2 on their popularity chart which was a big surprise.

Can't post the link from 500px but here is the image from Flickr

17562651294_43b2251edb_b.jpgPrairie Sunset Flowers by Mike Martin, on Flickr

Here is the link on 500px

https://500px.com/photo/110198547/prairie-sunset-by-mike-martin

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.