Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

New to this forum, guitar player branching out into keyboard, just got FA 08, seems great, but very overwhelming - wondering if anyone can recommend or know how to get / create patches that sound like Wham - "Everything She Wants", and Van Halen "Jump" - much appreciated.

For jump - go to the premade Studio Sets and scroll along until you find one called "Hop Step ****". Pretty bang on.

This

Studio preset # 053.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Enzo, from Italy, i'm just bought an FA-08, great Keyboard!

The problem you're facing with regard to the headphones , it is probably caused by the fact that the connector for the headphones is just around the beam controller

Probably had the beam controller set to "expression" .

When you entered the headphone connector , your hand has inadvertently changed the volume through the beam controller .

I apologize my english.

Bye, Enzo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As I don't own a FA, do any current FA users know whether you can toggle patches (tones...) on or off within a studio set through the control jacks?

I've skimmed through the manual but can't find anything alluding to that possibility.

Thanks for your feedback.

Don't think that's possible- but the sample pads can be used for that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Hey all, I know I've probably overlooked it, but is there a chart somewhere on what MIDI notes can trigger the sample pads, and/or how to assign this function?

I know this works as I have accidentally triggered a sample from my MOX when hooked to the FA-08, but I could not duplicate it when I wanted to.

I am working on a way (FCB-1010) to be able to trigger samples from a footswitch.

Thanks!

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I haven't tried it on the FA but on my VR-09 you can trigger sound effects (Explosion, Gong) using the D-Beam. Which is the only thing reason I've found to use it. Every time our guitarist tells another bad joke :)

Is that the Bullwinkle model?

Maybe instead of Midi Moose and Mouse, they should have called Moose & Squirrel!

boris-badenov.jpg

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

You might try a midi foot controller such as Midi Mouse

Its not awfully expensive and will do what you want.

This defeats the purpose of having control pedal jacks on the FA's rear panel. It's obviously a software omission. I can easily toggle between tones on my 25 year old Ensoniq VFX using a footswitch.

I'd say it'd be nice if Roland added this function in an update...but then the chances of that happening...

Never say never, just make it known on the Roland forum. The VR-09 had some serious omissions fixed. Its still got its quirks but at least they fixed the easy ones.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I haven't tried it on the FA but on my VR-09 you can trigger sound effects (Explosion, Gong) using the D-Beam. Which is the only thing reason I've found to use it. Every time our guitarist tells another bad joke :)

I've used it for the door slam sample in Thriller - that looks pretty good on stage.

is there a chart somewhere on what MIDI notes can trigger the sample pads

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49746

Thank you!

Imagine my surprise when I was jamming on my MOX, which I use as a master, and hit C2 which triggered our walk on music sample on the FA-08. That was fun. :hitt:

David

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster...or at least couldn't remember my login and password..

Simple to do I'm sure, but I'm at a point where I'm starting to pull my hair out.

I'm trying to set up the MOX to control the entire studio set program change in master mode. I'm using the Melas Master mode editor. When I set the external bank MSB/LSB/Program number per the FA MIDI implementation as 085/000/001 per the guide it changes the first part voice in the particular studio set instead of the studio set itself. All I want to do is set up a particular master on the MOX to switch to a particular FA studio set. Thanks in advance!!!

Rocco,

What midi channel is your FA set to receive program change. The FA uses a dedicated channel for that.

My FA is set to receive PC on channel 16. I then use one of the 4 parts of my MOX master to send the MSB/LSB/PC on channel16.

Let's start there.

If I don't get back to you for awhile, I'm out and about doing music stuff :)

David

Hey David,

That did the trick, thanks. Since I'm still getting up to speed, I had to brute force a few things I'm sure but it's basically doing what I want now. For some reason the MOX was triggering a drum patch with a performance mode master when set to Ch16...so I blanked out the active keyboard range in that zone to fix it.

One interesting observation, when the MOX MIDI toggle is set to USB with a USB cable to the computer and a MIDI cable between FA and MOX: with computer powered on there is no note Tx to FA. When I power down the computer, USB toggle still set on MOX, it is transmitting note Tx through MIDI. Assuming that is normal?

Getting my fa-06 tomorrow and was just wondering from FA owners or people who know about this sort of thing regarding changing setups.

Can I change the setups on my kurzweil pc3 from the Roland FA-06?

The reason I ask is I am using the FA as a 2nd tier and want to keep both boards close together. I have drilled my 2nd tier stand to be lower but now I can't see the kurzweil screen or easily change setups.

I've sorted it out with a pedal to change setups but when I've gone through the first 10 in quick access mode I can't change to the next 10 with the pedal.

I need to find a way of seeing/knowing what setup the Kurz is on without seeing the screen.

Or would the it better to use some kind of iPad app?

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

Rik, yes, you can send program changes from the FA to the PC3. The limitation is that on the FA, there is no mapping of program numbers. Studio set 1 transmits to patch 1 of the external keyboard, 2 to 2, etc. You'll need to rearrange your PC3 sounds so when you send the program change from the FA, the right patch comes up on the PC3. That's how I did it on my Hammond.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Rik, yes, you can send program changes from the FA to the PC3. The limitation is that on the FA, there is no mapping of program numbers. Studio set 1 transmits to patch 1 of the external keyboard, 2 to 2, etc. You'll need to rearrange your PC3 sounds so when you send the program change from the FA, the right patch comes up on the PC3. That's how I did it on my Hammond.

On the kurzweil I use quick access mode with 3 banks of 10 setups.

I'd imagine after I've set it all up to use both keyboards I'll still have about that many setups.

Would I need to rearrange my setups in order (which I can do by saving the first 30 setups into the higher number and starting again)

It would be great if this is possible then I can keep both boards closer together

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

http://i59.tinypic.com/z8s9f.jpg

It came :).

Can't wait until kids bedtime to figure it all out and start making my setups .

Loaded exp -08 and 10

yes, you'd have to rearrange the programs on the kurz.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all-

New poster and new FA-08 owner. I have tried to read through this thread carefully so that I don't ask the previously answered question. There seemed to be some debate early on about the FA's capability as a MIDI controller, but it looks as though it was ultimately agreed upon that the studio set and sequencer modes can send out multitimbral MIDI via USB to your DAW of choice.

If this is accurate, why can't I do it? :/ I have tried countless times to trigger multitimbral plugins inside of Ableton Live, with no success. It seems that my workstation is only sending note data across channel 1, even if I scroll through each of the 16 parts in a studio set or sequencer session.

For example, if I have a multitimbral instance of Sampletank 3 running inside of Ableton, I would expect to be able to trigger each of the 16 parts independently, depending on which studio set instrument I have selected on the FA. As it is, I can go from 1-16 on the FA, and it only triggers the instrument on MIDI channel 1 inside of the DAW. I even put a Max For Live device called MIDI monitor on the track to confirm that it is only sending on Channel 1.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for help!

If this has been asked already my apologies to the citizens of the Forum.

I want to run a Roland VK-8M through my FA-06, but I need to have the VK-8M & the FA-06 on their own separate midi channel so when I scroll though the favorites the VK-08 won't be called up unless it's the Studio Set with the same midi channel. I'm sure I'm overlooking some obvious answer.

Thanks

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.