Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Electric Upright Bass #2679195 04/12/15 01:41 PM
Synthaholic Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
I've ventured out of the cozy confines of the Keyboard Corner to come into this scary place to ask a question:

Are there any under-$1000 electric stand-up basses worth considering? My 14 year old son is tearing it up in High School Orchestra playing bass and I want to get him one, but his bedroom is just way too small to accommodate an acoustic.

I am totally unfamiliar with these brands, and there are not a lot of reviews online:

Dean Pace Bass 4-String Electric Upright Black
http://www.wwbw.com/Dean-Pace-Bass-4-String-Electric-Upright-519948-i1150851.wwbw

Dean Pace Contra Electric Upright Bass Classic Black
http://www.wwbw.com/Dean-Pace-Contra-Electric-Upright-Bass-J07669-i3655375.wwbw

Palatino VE-550 Electric Upright Bass
http://www.wwbw.com/Palatino-VE-550-Electric-Upright-Bass-512015-i1170393.wwbw

Thanks, bottom-dwellers!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin
BP Island
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Synthaholic] #2679205 04/12/15 02:29 PM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
1. I don't think for one moment that this is scary than a bassist on the keyboard corner. Unless, of course the security blanket of a "bass arranger" is better than dealing with an actual bassist.

2. Dean uprights - Take a Dean bass. Cut off the bouts so all you are left with is the neck and the bridge. That's a Dean. It is the same scale, same electronics, same everything as a Dean bass guitar. Unless your son has phenomenally small hands, there will be issue if he decides or needs to graduate to a "real" upright bass.

3. Palantino is a decent brand. The scale, neck radius and string width is similar to that of a classical URB. Very playable and easily transportable.

4 Speaking as a man that actually owns and gigs with EUBs, I would recommend taking a look around for the Ned Steinberg WAV4. I believe it is discontinued, but there should still be a few hanging out at the various webs stores in boxes, waiting for a good home. Should be less than $900 out of the box, passive electronics, arco/pizzicato selector switch - good all around "intro" EUB.

5. Or, hand the kid a keyboard with a bass arranger and hold the keyboard vertically.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2679250 04/12/15 06:29 PM
Synthaholic Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Cthulhu Fhtagn
1. I don't think for one moment that this is scary than a bassist on the keyboard corner. Unless, of course the security blanket of a "bass arranger" is better than dealing with an actual bassist.

Unwarranted assholery.

Quote:
2. Dean uprights - Take a Dean bass. Cut off the bouts so all you are left with is the neck and the bridge. That's a Dean. It is the same scale, same electronics, same everything as a Dean bass guitar. Unless your son has phenomenally small hands, there will be issue if he decides or needs to graduate to a "real" upright bass.

Good info. But as I said, he's already playing a 'real' bass at school. So the Dean is out.

Quote:
3. Palantino is a decent brand. The scale, neck radius and string width is similar to that of a classical URB. Very playable and easily transportable.

More good info - thanks.

Quote:
4 Speaking as a man that actually owns and gigs with EUBs, I would recommend taking a look around for the Ned Steinberg WAV4. I believe it is discontinued, but there should still be a few hanging out at the various webs stores in boxes, waiting for a good home. Should be less than $900 out of the box, passive electronics, arco/pizzicato selector switch - good all around "intro" EUB.

Can't find any under $1000, but will keep looking. Definitely seems to be the best brand for professionals.

Quote:
5. Or, hand the kid a keyboard with a bass arranger and hold the keyboard vertically.

More assholery. FFS, did a keyboardist once take a job from you, or something?

But thanks for the worthwhile parts of your post!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2679251 04/12/15 06:33 PM
J
johngoldsby Offline
J
Under $1000 is a little tricky. This is a good URB:
http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1430-EMINENCE_ELECTRIC_UPRIGHT_BASS.html

Probably out of your price range, but it's good to compare.

I've never played one of these, but it looks good from the specs and price:

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/2944-DEAN_PACE_CONTRA_SOLID_BODY_ELECTRIC_UPRIGHT_BASS.html

Well within your price range.

You might still consider getting your kid an acoustic bass, like this one:
http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product_details.cfm?ProdID=2096

Almost in your price range!

If he's not so big yet, you could get him the 1/2 sized model, which wouldn't take up much more room than the URB.

Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: johngoldsby] #2679268 04/12/15 08:00 PM
Synthaholic Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: johngoldsby

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/2944-DEAN_PACE_CONTRA_SOLID_BODY_ELECTRIC_UPRIGHT_BASS.html

The guy who replied first said that there was a difference in size, hand-wise, from a 'real' Upright.

Quote:

As I said in the OP, he just doesn't have space in his bedroom (or anywhere else in the house) for a real acoustic. It's a typical 3rd bedroom, very small.

Quote:
If he's not so big yet, you could get him the 1/2 sized model, which wouldn't take up much more room than the URB.

He's big! 14 years old, and 6 feet tall. The money for the Steinberger wouldn't be an issue if I was positive he was going to stay with it. He's already learned piano, violin, bass, and has recently been teaching himself guitar. He may move on to the next challenge.

Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Synthaholic] #2679276 04/12/15 08:42 PM
Bob Gollihur Offline
Gollihur Music, Big Cheese Emeritus
Platinum Member
Gollihur Music, Big Cheese Emeritus
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Synthaholic

The guy who replied first said that there was a difference in size, hand-wise, from a 'real' Upright.

Quote:

As I said in the OP, he just doesn't have space in his bedroom (or anywhere else in the house) for a real acoustic. It's a typical 3rd bedroom, very small.

Quote:

He's big! 14 years old, and 6 feet tall. The money for the Steinberger wouldn't be an issue if I was positive he was going to stay with it. He's already learned piano, violin, bass, and has recently been teaching himself guitar. He may move on to the next challenge.

The Dean enthusiastically trashed by Cthulhu Fhtagn is their Pace Bass Guitar on a Stick model unrelated to the second mention in your post. The Dean Contra, which he apparently missed, has the same string scale length as a standard 3/4 size bass and is worth considering for your stated purpose.

Mark has evaluated the Dean Contra on the Gollihur Music site. I retired from Gollihur Music last year and haven't had the opportunity to play that instrument, but my son shares the Founder's Philosophy of being up front with the gear descriptions and not selling stuff we would not play ourselves.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

- Life is too short for bad tone -
Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Synthaholic] #2679290 04/12/15 10:08 PM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C

Unwarranted assholery.

Quote:

Good info. But as I said, he's already playing a 'real' bass at school. So the Dean is out.

Quote:

More good info - thanks.

Quote:

Can't find any under $1000, but will keep looking. Definitely seems to be the best brand for professionals.

Quote:

Synth -

No offense taken or implied. However, I do have an excellent story about a jazz band I blew up because I could not get the keys to shut off the bass arranger. When I heard a bass line coming from the PA that wasn't mine, I asked. The keys response was that she couldn't play without the arranger. My response was along the lines of "what the hell did you hire me as a bassist if you were going to run the arranger?"

Anyway, having raised a young guitar player, I feel your pain about spending the scratch on something that ends up getting donated to the middle school after a couple of years.

Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2679292 04/12/15 10:13 PM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
FWIW

Since I have become a diehard NS snob, I was completely unaware of the Dean Contra, nor was I aware that Gollihur was selling it.

Then again, between the two NS and the 3/4 (all bought from Gollihur), I haven't been exactly shopping around much.

Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Bob Gollihur] #2679317 04/13/15 12:54 AM
Synthaholic Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Gollihur

Quote:

Quote:

The Dean enthusiastically trashed by Cthulhu Fhtagn is their Pace Bass Guitar on a Stick model unrelated to the second mention in your post. The Dean Contra, which he apparently missed, has the same string scale length as a standard 3/4 size bass and is worth considering for your stated purpose.

Mark has evaluated the Dean Contra on the Gollihur Music site. I retired from Gollihur Music last year and haven't had the opportunity to play that instrument, but my son shares the Founder's Philosophy of being up front with the gear descriptions and not selling stuff we would not play ourselves.

Awesome - I will definitely give that a closer look. My son has never played a 'regular' bass, only the Uprights at his High School, so that is his only frame of reference.

(I'm from Jersey (Middlesex County), but I don't recognize your town - will have to Google Map that.)

Thanks for the info.

Re: Electric Upright Bass [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2679319 04/13/15 12:56 AM
Synthaholic Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Unwarranted assholery.

Quote:

Quote:

More good info - thanks.

Quote:

Quote:

Synth -

No offense taken or implied. However, I do have an excellent story about a jazz band I blew up because I could not get the keys to shut off the bass arranger. When I heard a bass line coming from the PA that wasn't mine, I asked. The keys response was that she couldn't play without the arranger. My response was along the lines of "what the hell did you hire me as a bassist if you were going to run the arranger?"

Anyway, having raised a young guitar player, I feel your pain about spending the scratch on something that ends up getting donated to the middle school after a couple of years.

It's all good - I'm just looking for info!