Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Can we just get a Music Movie/Documentary Megathread?

Just watched We Like It Like That - a documentary on boogaloo. Well done, a little choppy and a little too reflective of the us-versus-them grudges the boogaloo guys have against the salsa musicians still, but overall a great watch.

Rewatched the documentary about Vann "Piano Man" Walls, the session pianist for Ruth Brown, Joe Turner and many of the Atlantic blues & R&B sides. Turns out he lived in Montreal, under the radar, for 40 years until his death. He passed away before I moved here so I never got to see him. A little slow and a little amateurish - the cameraman is holding the mic in the shot, stuff like that - but some amazing footage of Montreal back in the day.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

One of the best things about crowdfunding is I'll often forget that I supported a project, so cool things just magically appear in my mailbox. This arrived yesterday:

[video:youtube]

Finished watching it this morning, it's pretty deep, though I think you'd have to be a fan of the music to make it through, fortunately I am. There's a lot of great keyboard footage, Mike Ratledge, Dave Stewart, Alan Gowan, etc.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I watched this yesterday.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ega0DP3TUfs .

Then I looked up the director and found out about his terribly sad demise. According to his YouTube page, the documentary was going through a digital restoration, but I don't know if that was ever completed. Strangely, the YouTube post seems to be dated in 2009, after he died.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 weeks later...

I've officially started drinking the Jimmy Smith Kool-Aid and stumbled upon this on YouTube.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9fObWXHTv4

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• 1 month later...

Here is a good

And this was just wonderful to:

Richter Documentary . . .

And the hommes . . .

Lennie Tristano: (Steve Vai and Satriani, Leonard Bernstein to name a few who studied or were influenced by his ideas and teaching)

Lennie again:

Tristano Documentary . . .

Sal Mosca - (this one is very close to home as he was the guy I work with's teacher, Sal studied with Lennie for 8 years or so and worked often with Warne Marsh (tenor), the guy I work with worked with Sal for 23):

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Watched three this weekend. All excellent. Love and Mercy (Beach Boys), The Other One (Bob Weir) and Amy (Amy Winehouse).

We saw Amy at a pre screening in LA on Sunday. It is being released next month. Sad story of an amazing artist who just wanted to sing jazz. Some people are just not meant for celebrity.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Wrecking Crew

http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/

Clip: The Making of Good Vibrations

I just watched this last night (if you have AXS TV, they ran it Sunday evening and it will probably run again at some point).

I thought this was a good movie and he was lucky enough to get a number of the Crew before they passed. It was a little disjointed because it was more focused on the people than the chronology. Once I realized and got over that, I was okay. :)

It's amazing how many records these guys played on. My wife couldn't believe that they weren't credited on most of those records, but that's the way it was back then, and they worked for hire.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

Festival Express - Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band, Buddy Guy travel on board a train for a Canadian concert tour.

Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin'

Before The Music Dies - Musicians opine on America's art form.

Marley - Bob Marley bio

The Beatles - Let It Be and Anthology

The Rolling Stones - 25 x 5

The Sound and the Fury - A Century of Modern Music (Classical)

Bossa Nova - The Sound That Seduced The World

PBS - Jazz - Ken Burns 10 part history

PBS - Rock & Roll - 10 part history

PBS - The Blues - Martin Scorsese & Clint Eastwood

PBS - American Masters - Glenn Gould - Genius Within

PBS - American Masters - Woody Guthrie - Ain't Got No Home

PBS - American Masters - John Lennon - LENNONYC

PBS - American Masters - The Doors - When You're Strange

PBS - American Masters - Marvin Gaye - What's Going On.

PBS - American Masters - Sam Cooke - Crossing Over

PBS - Bob Dylan- Live at Newport 1963-65 (Along with the Beatles, 1965 Dylan changed rock music forever)

PBS - America Electrified - The Guitar Revolution.

BBC - David Bowie and the Story of Ziggy Stardust

BBC - George Clinton - Tales of Dr. Funkenstein

BBC - Prog Rock Britannia - An Observation in Three Movements

BBC - Synth Britannia - (History of synths in Britain 1970's - 80's)

BBC - Synthesizers in the Movies

• 2 weeks later...
Straight Outta Compton was highly entertaining. Lots of synths on display too: Minimoog, DX7, Juno-106, Prophet T8, Juno-60, etc.

Planning on catching it this weekend, looking forward to it.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Digging in the Carts":

For those who like chip tunes and video game music. Amazing how much they were able to do with such a limited soundset:

Part 1:

(there are 5 other parts, links are in the YT side bar. Make sure you have CC on for the Japanese parts)

I like several of the "Classic Albums" documentaries, which interview the musicians and producers on how certain albums were made, but the best "Classic Albums" show I have seen is the one for the Tom Petty "Damn the Torpedoes" albums. I could not find the entire episode on Youtube, although I did see some snippets there. The full episode does a fantastic job at explaining how the songs were made.