Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2673276 - 03/17/15 08:48 AM Skinny Keyboardmag
jumbomsd Offline

Loc: Italy
Just received the April 2015 issue
we get only 50 pages : 17 advertising, 1 summary ...so only 32 worthy the subscription fee , fortunately only 1 about playing (I don't like these ones but someone else do, I know)
I am a subscriber since 1983, then I could spend a lot of time reading and learning, now few minutes are enough to go through the whole magazine, I know that online there's a lot of stuff, but it's the paper I like to read and keep : don't give up !

#2676198 - 03/30/15 01:14 PM Re: Skinny Keyboardmag [Re: jumbomsd]
Stephen Fortner Moderator Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Oakland, CA, UNITED STATES
Hi Jumbo,

We editors hate these skinny magazines just as much as you do. Like most magazines these days, we're owned by a large corporation that is very concerned with the immediate-term bottom line, and the decision to cut all the group's page counts (Guitar Player, Bass Player, Keyboard, and Electronic Musician) in 2015 came from them--ostensibly to save on printing and postage. I've raised my voice many times internally that I think this sends the wrong message to readers and advertisers alike, and will continue to do so. Until things get better, I promise I'll put the best content I can on the pages I DO have. Thanks for your longtime readership. -SF

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Editor at Large, Keyboard Magazine
Contributor, Gearslutz.com

#2676301 - 03/31/15 04:07 AM Re: Skinny Keyboardmag [Re: Stephen Fortner]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Thanks for the reply, Stephen. I started a thread about this subject over in KC, in case you hadn't seen it.

#2676418 - 03/31/15 12:54 PM Re: Skinny Keyboardmag [Re: Stephen Fortner]
Bif_ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: Stephen Fortner
Hi Jumbo,

We editors hate these skinny magazines just as much as you do. Like most magazines these days, we're owned by a large corporation that is very concerned with the immediate-term bottom line, and the decision to cut all the group's page counts (Guitar Player, Bass Player, Keyboard, and Electronic Musician) in 2015 came from them--ostensibly to save on printing and postage. I've raised my voice many times internally that I think this sends the wrong message to readers and advertisers alike, and will continue to do so. Until things get better, I promise I'll put the best content I can on the pages I DO have. Thanks for your longtime readership. -SF

Stephen,

I'm a long-time reader of the magazine as well, going back to the 80's. I've been a subscriber most of the time since then.

My initial reaction was "Dude, where's my magazine?" You're right, it does send the wrong message to your customers, but you have to play the hand you've been dealt.

I appreciate the struggle to provide a desirable product that will turn a profit for the publisher. You did do a great job packing lots of valuable info on the recent 50 page magazine.

I'll take Keyboard 'lite' over no Keyboard at all. Thanks for your efforts. I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate it.

Greg

#2676582 - 04/01/15 08:13 AM Re: Skinny Keyboardmag [Re: Bif_]
TomKittel Offline

I live in Germany and I tried to subscribe to Keyboard magazine in the past. I also tried a few times to order single issues. Never got any reply from the company. I really appreciate Stephen's work. But the publishing company seems to suck. Must be a tough task for Stephen. Keep up your good work!

Tom

#2676638 - 04/01/15 10:51 AM Re: Skinny Keyboardmag [Re: TomKittel]
jumbomsd Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi Stephen,
thanks for your kind answer
I'm very glad to know that my complaint is yours, that a lower page count isn't your choice and the only thing you can do is to put your best effort in THAT pages.
Be sure I'll stay in contact because , as Bif says...
I'll take Keyboard 'lite' over no Keyboard at all
Keep on fighting !
Umberto

#2776830 - 05/03/16 08:16 PM Re: Skinny Keyboardmag [Re: jumbomsd]
B3Kev Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Thank you Stephen. It's nice to know or comments are actually heard. Love the magazine and I, like Jumbo look forward to the printed page arriving in our mailbox
Yamaha P150
Roland E500
Wurley

Moderator:  Stephen Fortner