Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was a particularly fruitful new release day for me, picked up 3 new albums that are blowing my mind on first listen.

First up was Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. Wow, I expected that I'd love this album even if it was just half as good as The Raven That Refused to Sing, but if anything, H.C.E is even more ambitious and progressive. Adam Holzman is back on keys, providing one amazing Minimoog solo, and there is a lot, I mean, A LOT of Mellotron throughout. A co-worker and I were talking today about how Wilson would be an important figure just for his production work, back catalog remixes for Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, and new albums for bands like Opeth, but the fact that he is also putting writing and recording his own stuff at such a high level is just making the rest of us look like slouches. Highly recommended.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxFsg5blyM

Next up was The Purge, the new record from DRKWAV, a new trio with Skerik (Critters Buggin, etc) on sax, John Medeski on keys and drummer Adam Deitch. The album is surprisingly synth heavy, in fact there are relatively few moments that I would specifically identify as Medeski, which is very cool. Really digging this on first listen.

[video:youtube]

Finally, and playing now, is the deluxe DVD/DC release of Soft Machine's Switzerland 1974, their set at the Montreaux jazz fest. This was the Bundles-era band, with newly added Allan Holdsworth on guitar and Mike Ratledge as the only remaining original member, and he's on his way out already. This was one of the Machine's last great moments, and while this has been floating around as a bootleg for a while, it has never sounded or looked as good as the new Cuneiform. Ratledge still kills me with his signature Lowery organ solo timbre, and the band is pretty slaying in general. One interesting tidbit from the liner notes, this set was part of a triple bill, along with Billy Cobham's Spectrum band and the Art Ensemble of Chicago. More evidence that I was born too late and on the wrong continent.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I've been going through by collection and dug out my old Asia "Astra" CD. A little dated by now - I think pretty much every synth used is a DX-something, but there is some nice ear candy and riffs in there.

Not sure what was used for the pipe organ in "Go".. I don't think a DX could pull that off. Maybe a sampler? :idk

If it was released a couple years later, I would swear there were D-50 sounds in there...

I've been going through by collection and dug out my old Asia "Astra" CD. A little dated by now - I think pretty much every synth used is a DX-something, but there is some nice ear candy and riffs in there.

Not sure what was used for the pipe organ in "Go".. I don't think a DX could pull that off. Maybe a sampler? :idk

If it was released a couple years later, I would swear there were D-50 sounds in there...

Sounds like some classic early digital synths, wouldn't be surprised if a PPG Wave 2.3 was in there. With Downes I would expect plenty of analog stuff layered in with the digital.

Also, Mandy Meyer from Krokus makes any album awesome.

So this week, I had a minor fender-bender which rattled me a bit. But luckily, I woke up the next morning to an e-mail from John Stetch telling me that he would be in Edmonton at the end of this month and that he would give me the score to his Black Sea Suite. Not only that, but that since he doesn't have a digital copy yet, we were going to have to meet up. :) :) :) :) :)

P.S. N&I, how is the DRKWAV record treating you?

Got on Amazon searching for something relaxing and synthy. Ended up with these. ...

Olafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter

Hammock - Chasing After Shadows Living With the Ghosts

Kiasmos - Kiasmos

Lights Out Asia - Tanks & Recognizers

David Helpling - Treasure

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Kendrick Lamar's "To Pimp A Butterfly" was just released a week early.

It's pretty good, too.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

You got that right. King of Both Coasts.

The thing about this record is the personnel he's used on it. Terrace Martin, Bilal, Lalah Hathaway, Thundercat. Dude has seriously done his homework. Or he's got a good people throwing good people his way.

I couldn't stand his last effort. THIS one demonstates where I love to hear Hip Hop going.

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

You didn't like GKMC? I preferred Section.80, yes, but I still quite liked GKMC. But I agree, he's definitely moving up with To Pimp A Butterfly. Going to listen to it for a second time tonight, maybe I'll have time again tomorrow. It's deep. :thu:

Anyway, stumbled upon this absolutely ridiculous lineup. Benny Golson, Roy Hargrove, Curtis Fuller, Stefon Harris, Mulgrew Miller, Dan Berglund and Magnus Öström. Wow.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9S7k0uX90w

John Zorn: Simulacrum (feat. John Medeski: organ, Matt Hollenberg: guitar, Kenny Grohowski: drums)

You might have gathered that I'm a fan of John Zorn, and, with more significance to this forum, John Medeski, so when the two collaborate, I'm going to be paying attention. Medeski played B3 on the last two albums by Zorn's Moonchild project, and brought a kind-of gothic prog vibe to that band that made 2014's The Last Judgement one of my favorite Zorn releases of recent memory. On this record, Medeski is joined by guitarist Matt Hollenberg of the Philadelphia doom metal band Cleric, and drummer Kenny Grohowski of NYC's Abraxas, playing a set of Zorn compositions. This album moves even further into the prog-metal zone than Moonchild, with some ridiculously complicated and heavy tunes. Some moments sound like outtakes from early Tony Williams Lifetime, others remind me of Steamboat Switzerland or Elephant9. If, like me, you felt that the last few MMW albums were good but kind of safe, this album is a great place to hear Medeski going to some new places. Great stuff, but not for the faint-hearted.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I've been on a serious Soulive kick lately. Made a radio station in Spotify and have really been enjoying the results.

Just finished listening to Gino Vannelli's Nightwalker. Had forgotten how great it is.
http://barendtreesverwaal.tripod.com/tripodnl3/s12s.jpg

Love Gino and his brother Joe! Thanks I will have to re-visit!

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues