Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Cory Henry #2501564 06/12/13 07:20 PM
SHaka40 Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I had second thoughts about starting a new thread because if we did so for every talented player we come across on Youtube, we wouldn't have space on the forum to talk about gear and sports and such (!). But considering how many players I've discovered because you guys mentioned them here, I figured I'd introduce some of you guys to this great young keyboardist. He got his start as a prodigous gospel organist (he has a Youtube video of himself playin' in church at about 3 or 4 years old). Currently, he plays with Snarky Puppy, in addition to writing, playing and producing for himself and other artists. He's also got an instructional gospel organ DVD, but I haven't seen it so I won't comment on it. There's really no point to this thread other than to introduce Cory to forumites who've never heard of him, so I'll just get the ball rolling with a couple of videos:

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320
KC Island
Re: Cory Henry [Re: SHaka40] #2501604 06/13/13 12:41 AM
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yep. Cory's chops impressed Teddy Riley at NAMM a few years ago. I'm glad he's getting work and recognition. cool

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"
Re: Cory Henry [Re: ProfD] #2501620 06/13/13 02:33 AM
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
yeah, he's bad. Tore it up at NAMM last January.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: zephonic] #2501731 06/13/13 01:19 PM
Geoff Grace Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
thu

Thanks for sharing this! cool

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article
Re: Cory Henry [Re: Geoff Grace] #2501916 06/13/13 09:57 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Wow! I've heard him play with Snarky Puppy, but he's a virtuoso! Geez what a player!

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: Cory Henry [Re: MAJUSCULE] #2502099 06/14/13 01:27 PM
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
Wow! I've heard him play with Snarky Puppy, but he's a virtuoso! Geez what a player!

While we're here, Shaun Martin is a BAMF too.

I make software noises.
Re: Cory Henry [Re: johnchop] #2502129 06/14/13 03:32 PM
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Very seriously excellent player.. wow.. bad dude. Very strong gift.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you
We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement
Re: Cory Henry [Re: I-missRichardTee] #2664545 02/11/15 04:34 PM
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Since this cat is a fellow KB player and a shooting star, I figured it would make sense to put his work in the thread bearing his name:

Pulled from another thread (there's also a part 2):

Cory's take on "Giant Steps":

It will be interesting to see how far Cory goes considering the present state of music. cool

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"
Re: Cory Henry [Re: ProfD] #2664549 02/11/15 04:51 PM
Grave Bryce Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
I'm scheduled to write a story on Snarky Puppy for Keyboard mag. Can't wait to talk to this guy.... cool

dB

Re: Cory Henry [Re: Grave Bryce] #2664553 02/11/15 04:58 PM
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
I'm scheduled to write a story on Snarky Puppy for Keyboard mag. Can't wait to talk to this guy.... cool

dB

I can't wait to read that story!

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles
http://philipclark.com

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50
Re: Cory Henry [Re: johnchop] #2664571 02/11/15 05:54 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: johnchop

While we're here, Shaun Martin is a BAMF too.

I wish I were half as good as Shaun Martin.
That being said, I have seen Snarky Puppy live twice, once with Corey Henry and Justin Stanton on keys, and once with Shaun Martin and Justin Stanton on keys. Corey Henry brings an energy that he channels through to the audience that gives the show a different vibe from when he is not there.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Cory Henry [Re: davedoerfler] #2664595 02/11/15 07:25 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Did you guys know he has a new band? The Funk Apostles

They're on tour right now. Check him/them out on Twitter and Instagram and you'll find out all about it. BTW, he tweeted at me that the album is coming this summer. cool

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: Cory Henry [Re: MAJUSCULE] #2664598 02/11/15 07:35 PM
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
My wife got us tickets this morning for end of the month-can't wait. Also looking forward to your article dB twothumbs

Re: Cory Henry [Re: MAJUSCULE] #2664679 02/12/15 01:37 AM
SHaka40 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
Did you guys know he has a new band? The Funk Apostles

They're on tour right now. Check him/them out on Twitter and Instagram and you'll find out all about it. BTW, he tweeted at me that the album is coming this summer. cool

OK...I'm gonna need these guys to cut an album...YESTERDAY!

Marky, whereabouts are you guys going to see them?

--Sean H.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: ProfD] #2664681 02/12/15 01:40 AM
SHaka40 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: ProfD

It will be interesting to see how far Cory goes considering the present state of music. cool

I'll see your Giant Steps and raise you one...from NAMM

--Sean H.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: SHaka40] #2664686 02/12/15 02:27 AM
keyman27 Offline
Gonna check these guys out on 2/21 in Cleveland.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: SHaka40] #2664712 02/12/15 07:36 AM
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: SHaka40

Marky, whereabouts are you guys going to see them?

Gypsy Sally's. Let me know if you're going. Maybe we can summon more Mid East Coasters for an impromtu hang.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: Markyboard] #2664725 02/12/15 10:20 AM
N4dr0j Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
In terms of style Shaun Martin is more up my street, but seeing Cory Henry live completely reinvigorated my passion for playing and made me decide to start playing jazz again, having given up months earlier.

He puts on a great show but I spoke to him after a gig once (tiny venue and I was at the front, could have reached my arm out and played his Kronos if I wanted to) and damn he was tired. So so tired. Would never have guessed it from the show he put on but afterwards he was just out. Was good enough to spend 5 minutes chatting about gear and his upbringing though.

The rest of the guys in the band (Snarky Puppy) are cool too, spent about 10 minutes talking to and getting tips from Mike League and bought Bob Lanzetti a beer (this isn't the snarky thread, but relevant).

Last edited by Nadroj; 02/12/15 10:27 AM.

Nord E4 SW73
Yamaha MODX7
Re: Cory Henry [Re: N4dr0j] #2664740 02/12/15 11:26 AM
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
I would swear there was a thread here once where someone posted a video of Cory Henry talking about his practice regimen, such as doing scales to different meters, but damned if I can find either the thread or the video.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Cory Henry [Re: Bone Muskeleton] #2664754 02/12/15 12:18 PM
SHaka40 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
I would swear there was a thread here once where someone posted a video of Cory Henry talking about his practice regimen, such as doing scales to different meters, but damned if I can find either the thread or the video.

He put out a gospel keys/organ how-to dvd** several years ago...maybe you saw a clip or trailer from that on YouTube...If I wasn't at work I'd see if I could find it.

**By the way, that dvd is available at showmethat.com ...but I am NOT vouching for it as I haven't seen it for myself. I think Shaun Martin may have done a gospel dvd too.

--Sean H.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: Bone Muskeleton] #2664783 02/12/15 02:10 PM
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

IIRC it was Shaun Martin, and he was talking about practicing scales in the circle of fifths, 1 octave up/down with quarter notes, 2 octaves up/down as eighths, 3 as triplets, and 4 as sixteenths.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: johnchop] #2664825 02/12/15 04:14 PM
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Originally Posted By: johnchop

IIRC it was Shaun Martin, and he was talking about practicing scales in the circle of fifths, 1 octave up/down with quarter notes, 2 octaves up/down as eighths, 3 as triplets, and 4 as sixteenths.
facepalm

You're absolutely right. That's why I couldn't find it in a search. Once I saw the clip, I even recognized the misspelling of "regimen" in the clip itself.

Thanks!

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Cory Henry [Re: SHaka40] #2664851 02/12/15 06:24 PM
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ok, I feel the need to speak up here. Not out to ruffle any feathers as I know this guy is very popular. And deservedly so. He does many things great ! Gospel/RnB, Funk, Fushiony stuff . He's fantastic in these contexts, a total natural. But sorry I can't think of him as a Jazz player.

Not in the same way I think of guys from my generation- Kirkland, Mulgrew Miller, Joey Calderazzo, Davids Kikowski, Benny Green, Fred Hersch, Kenny Werner -to name a few.

First off- what's the point in doing Giant Steps if you aren't gonna blow on the changes and you turn it into a two chord vamp? Anyone from a seasoned pro to a high school student playing with Aebersolds, in the practice room or on the band stand, knows that the extreme difficulty of GS is navigating the constant chord and key changes. Why play it with the GS head ? Could've just made it "Cory's Mood" and wrote some line that went with the vamp changes.

Ok second video , he kinda plays the changes, but in half time and at times in semi-rubato. He's got chops, and a great ear for smooth synthy textures ,there's no question. However to these ears , it's not the melodic , linear based jazz vocabulary you hear from something like this :

or this

or to go back another generation even this

Jazz isn't about how many notes you play. It's THE notes, the phrasing, the feel, the swing. He certainly has the feel in his chosen context, but everything I've seen Cory do involves a half time, 16th note RnB/funk/hip-hop grooves, but never straight ahead. BIG difference, sorry.

I know this won't be the most popular post of the year, but again I'm not slamming him, I'm a fan of his mastery on many different instruments. The music flows out of him. One thing for certain -he's more popular then I'll ever be. wink grin

I just feel real jazz, and what's involved to represent it properly, needs to be better defined, explained, or maybe even defended in these skewed times. wink

Re: Cory Henry [Re: Dave Ferris] #2664862 02/12/15 06:46 PM
SHaka40 Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't really disagree with anything you said* Dave. But I just listen to music for what it is, I guess...not to see if it fits into whatever predefined style/genre the legends have established. Nor do I expect everyone who plays Giant Steps to show off their technique or remind us of the "extreme difficulty" of playing that song. But in general, I agree, what Cory is doing here sounds nothing like the way the greats have traditionally interpreted the piece. I'm just not sure why it matters...

*The one thing I'll disagree with is the idea that it is not "real" jazz...I'm not even sure what that means! You imply yourself that real jazz is not well/concretely defined...I agree, which is precisely why I refrain from dismissing something as "not real jazz." (I'll give you "not traditional jazz" or "not bebop" though)

--Sean H.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: Markyboard] #2664870 02/12/15 07:15 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Markyboard

Gypsy Sally's. Let me know if you're going. Maybe we can summon more Mid East Coasters for an impromtu hang.

I have been summoned. grin
just walked over there but door/box office doesn't open until 6 so I just purchased "will call" through Ticketfly. I'm in the standing section as I can't sit still but we is still gonna hang. thu

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Re: Cory Henry [Re: davedoerfler] #2664892 02/12/15 10:17 PM
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Awesome Dave - I'll PM you my cell phone #.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: Markyboard] #2664914 02/13/15 01:14 AM
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wow, great player! I had only heard one Snarky Puppy tune previously where he played a Chick-ish synth solo (which was killer). I wasn't aware of the other dimensions of his playing. The guy's really got a lot of great stuff going on.

The Tommy Flanagan version of Giant Steps should be called redemption since he fell apart during his solo on the original Coltrane recording. Goes to show that even the masters struggle at times.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: Al Quinn] #2664923 02/13/15 02:19 AM
SHaka40 Offline OP
OP Offline
The 26th...that's a Thursday night, no? My regular group practices on Thursdays. I suppose I could play the old "we'd learn way more by going to see that band than practicing in our basement" card idk

I say that jokingly...If I was in a "real" band, that might actually work, but this is more of a "singing group + accompaniment" situation...so I doubt anyone else will be interested in an instrumental funk group rolleyes

--Sean H.

Re: Cory Henry [Re: SHaka40] #2664925 02/13/15 02:26 AM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
The 26th...that's a Thursday night, no? My regular group practices on Thursdays. I suppose I could play the old "we'd learn way more by going to see that band than practicing in our basement" card idk

I say that jokingly...If I was in a "real" band, that might actually work, but this is more of a "singing group + accompaniment" situation...so I doubt anyone else will be interested in an instrumental funk group rolleyes

Sean - you should be doing research on gospel organ that night at Gypsey Sally's. idea wink laugh

Re: Cory Henry [Re: Dave Ferris] #2664932 02/13/15 04:10 AM
Jazzwee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris

Ok, I feel the need to speak up here. Not out to ruffle any feathers as I know this guy is very popular. And deservedly so. He does many things great ! Gospel/RnB, Funk, Fushiony stuff . He's fantastic in these contexts, a total natural. But sorry I can't think of him as a Jazz player.

Not in the same way I think of guys from my generation- Kirkland, Mulgrew Miller, Joey Calderazzo, Davids Kikowski, Benny Green, Fred Hersch, Kenny Werner -to name a few.

First off- what's the point in doing Giant Steps if you aren't gonna blow on the changes and you turn it into a two chord vamp? Anyone from a seasoned pro to a high school student playing with Aebersolds, in the practice room or on the band stand, knows that the extreme difficulty of GS is navigating the constant chord and key changes. Why play it with the GS head ? Could've just made it "Cory's Mood" and wrote some line that went with the vamp changes.

Ok second video , he kinda plays the changes, but in half time and at times in semi-rubato. He's got chops, and a great ear for smooth synthy textures ,there's no question. However to these ears , it's not the melodic , linear based jazz vocabulary you hear from something like this :

or this

or to go back another generation even this

Jazz isn't about how many notes you play. It's THE notes, the phrasing, the feel, the swing. He certainly has the feel in his chosen context, but everything I've seen Cory do involves a half time, 16th note RnB/funk/hip-hop grooves, but never straight ahead. BIG difference, sorry.

I know this won't be the most popular post of the year, but again I'm not slamming him, I'm a fan of his mastery on many different instruments. The music flows out of him. One thing for certain -he's more popular then I'll ever be. wink grin

I just feel real jazz, and what's involved to represent it properly, needs to be better defined, explained, or maybe even defended in these skewed times. wink

I certainly admire Cory Henry's style, particularly on organ. His ability to create massive changes in texture either with synth or organ is mind boggling.

But note choice wise on Giant Steps. No big deal there from Henry I agree. In fact, I thought even Kikoksi and Kirkland relied a bit on repeated arpeggio patterns. I started to lose interest after I heard it the 10th time. Now I realize even Coltrane relied on arpeggio patterns on the original. Perhaps, I expect to hear development from there however.

Not Tommy Flanagan -- there, that's melodic jazz to my ears. It's like a connected developing story. What he's doing is NOT wanking.

Here's another GS and it's very short but even in this short video, I can hear a lot interesting melodic concepts going. The point is, as skilled as Cory Henry's chops are, it shows the breadth of players out there that there's something deeper at least with straight ahead jazz.

Now I'm not diminishing Cory here. I was one of those that posted his Gospel church organ video that was spectacular. I too am only reacting specifically to straight ahead.

OK...ducking now...

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner