Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snarky Puppy

Get this...

Dr. Fortner just gave me the green light to write a story about them for Keyboard. :)

The first Sunday in 2015 without football just became a very happy day. :cool::2thu::rawk:

dB

Nice one, really looking forward to it.

[align:right]##

##[/align]

What angle are you gonna take? Whole band, individual players? Talk about the gear, the playing, the writing, the touring? I'm stoked!

Not sure yet. Of course, definitely, duh, yes, have to and probably....and me too. :boing:

Might even be fun for me to collect a few questions from you guys to add to my own. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Might even be fun for me to collect a few questions from you guys to add to my own. :cool:

dB

Great, looking forward to it.

For questions how about:

1. How does it work out having 2+ keys guys in the band in terms of arrangements, sounds etc?

2. Who chooses gear and sounds?

=For questions how about:

1. How does it work out having 2+ keys guys in the band in terms of arrangements, sounds etc?

2. Who chooses gear and sounds?

Those would fall under the obvious questions to ask category... :poke::D

In all seriousness, I have no problem coming up with pages full of questions to ask Cory Henry all by himself! Given all the things that can be covered, the biggest challenge will probaly be deciding what needs to be cut by the time I'm done...so any questions that I include from here would have to be something that probably wouldn't occur to me in the course of a normal interview, and will be interested to the readers of Keyboard mag.

At the end of the day, page space is at an optimum, and Steve F will be the ultimate authority on what makes it and what doesn't....so if you're gonna submit a question for consideration, please make it a really good one. :cool:

Thanks!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Get this...

Dr. Fortner just gave me the green light to write a story about them for Keyboard. :)

The first Sunday in 2015 without football just became a very happy day. :cool::2thu::rawk:

dB

excellent news for sure :keys:

hopefully you will be able to provide us the complete unedited interview at some point

:nopity:

Just got my tickets for Montreal this summer, woo hoo!

lucky you. Nothing scheduled near thin ice at the moment. :cry:

I did get to see them twice last year both times in small clubs. I'll have to live with those memories for now. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

ARGH! Didn't know they were coming.

Must must must look into this.

EDIT: Tickets purchased! So glad I saw your post, Dan. Perhaps we can meet up at some point there so I can associate a name with a face?

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

ARGH! Didn't know they were coming.

Must must must look into this.

for the interested here's a link to concert dates for 2015

Snarky Puppy Tour

they are playing 2 nights in DC for the annual DC Jazz Festival, same venue they played last year. I am out of town at that time this year, can't make it. :facepalm:

Hey... So, I've heard mixed reviews about the live show... Dave, I know you loved them. Anyone else want to chime in?

I've heard from some people that the band is much smaller, turns their back on the crowd and just seem generally disorganized or noncommittal. This is from friends of mine and based on several different shows over the last year or two. Anyone care to comment?

Depends on the venue. They played two shows here on consecutive nights. Second night was a "secret show" in our tiny jazz bar. Band was considerably smaller than the previous night, but that was a given.

Both times I loved them. There were obviously inside jokes, etc, given some of their interactions on stage, but they never detached themselves from the crowd.

It just looked like a bunch of guys having fun playing a gig, which is what I want to see when I go to a show.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Hey... So, I've heard mixed reviews about the live show... Dave, I know you loved them. Anyone else want to chime in?

the touring band is certainly smaller than the teeming millions you see on stage for the videos. Typically, drummer, bass guitar, electric guitar, 2 keyboard players (Justin also plays trumpet), sax, trombone, and percussionist. Both times I saw them were in small venues. The whole concept is that it is supposed to be a revolving group of players around a core group of players. The second time I saw them Corey Henry was not there. Someone else mentioned much earlier in this thread that at one performance Corey was filling in for Sput on drums. This is a talented bunch of cats. I heard from another forum member that it's just not his thing. I can appreciate that. Maybe the "mixed reviews" were from that type of people. I found them to be very engaging with the audience, humble, and happy to be playing the music that they love.

Apparenty they will get cooties if they come anywhere near the midwest. :(

They are playing in New Orleans, does that count?

Outside of that show, however, it's strictly East Coast (including Montreal) and Europe.

Anyone care to comment?

another comment on the structure. I have seen Snarky Puppy twice and Corey Henry once with his "Funk Apostles" band. There was not a Hammond B3 on stage at any of these appearances. You just never know what a Snarky Puppy show will bring, except that Michael League will be there.

...or the West Coast. :(

dB

They were just here a couple months ago.

EDIT: last August. Sorry.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

They are playing in New Orleans, does that count?

Nope. I live over 1000 miles from NO, which is in the Deep South.

huh. New Orleans is only 1100 miles from thin ice. Didn't know it was so far from everywhere. :laugh:

Planning on going there summer 2016. It's on my bucket list.

It just looked like a bunch of guys having fun playing a gig, which is what I want to see when I go to a show.

I've seen them three times now (twice in outdoor festival-type venues, once in a ~600 person capacity club) and I agree with Nardoj's assessment. Check out any recent live video and that's what you'll see.

...or the West Coast. :(

dB

That schedule looks thin for the usual SP tours. I imagine they'll be adding more dates this year. Just looking at last year's shows, they were in Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, and southern California. You guys will get your chance sooner or later!

• 2 weeks later...
Good news if you live outside of the USA - the first video from Snarky Puppy/Metropole Orchestra collaboration is up on youtube!

Tell us American folks how it sounds!

10 days later, we have a video watchable in the US of A - clonk

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about this one yet. Gonna need a few more listens.

Gear spotting - Two Minimoogs! and Cory's playing what looks to be an RT series Hammond.

• 5 months later...

Going to see SP live for the first time on Wednesday night!

My son bought me tix for Father's Day, so we're going together to the "Belly Up" in Solana Beach. Anyone been to this venue?

It would be a gas to get to sit in the middle of the band, like in their latest videos, but I imagine that's probably a rare privilege, reserved for well-planned recording sessions...

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73