Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: songs you misunderstood in your youth

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How I initially heard a line from "Stairway To Heaven":

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be a lawman; it's just a sprinkling from the bakery"

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

One of the biggest lyric mistakes was from "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" by England Dan & John Ford Coley. I can't count how many people thought the line was "I'm not talking 'bout your linen," when it was actually "I'm not talking 'bout moving in."

So much so, that they even used it in the movie "The Long Kiss Goodnight," with Samuel L. Jackson singing the wrong lyrics.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Ha! OK, maybe I'm a bit of a pop recluse, but JUST YESTERDAY I finally heard "I'm All About That Bass" in it's entirety. It's NOT about bass [frequencies]!

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

I recall some of that early teen adolescent unease when I realized Elton John was gay and all of those songs that I loved to play weren't romantic in the way I had thought they were.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I'm not sure if the original thread intent was misheard lyrics or just songs whose meaning was not apparent when you were young.

Regarding the latter, the biggest one for me would have to be Billie Jean. I was a kid when Thriller was released and sang along, completely oblivious to what the song was about.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

We're talking misunderstood meanings, not misheard lyrics I think.

So... probably the most infamous: Tutti Frutti.

And I'm thinking there must have been a lot of :facepalm: in certain places when it was covered by Pat Boone.

Here for the gear.

In the misheard lyrics category: the 8 year-old French-speaking kid that I was thought Stevie Wonder sang "À Jessica, to say I love you" (means "to Jessica"...) I figured he was trying to reach her on the phone and was leaving a message on her answering machine.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I recall some of that early teen adolescent unease when I realized Elton John was gay and all of those songs that I loved to play weren't romantic in the way I had thought they were.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

If only the guy that wrote the lyrics were gay, I might have thought so too...

I thought the lyrics to "Precious and Few" went "Precious and few are the moments sweet toucans share..." when I was a kid. If I ever do some kind of beach oriented band, I'm gonna call it Sweet Toucans for that very reason.
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

"No I'm never gonna do it without the fez on"
?? Isn't that the correct lyric?
Yes, I believe so.

You know, I still don't get what it means. I understand the literal meaning, but if it implies something else, that eludes me. As for the literal meaning, it paints an amusing image, but Steely Dan lyrics usually go a bit deeper than that. Maybe not in this case.

I was little and had no idea what story of Last Train to Clarksville was. I just thought it was another happy go lucky Monkees tune with fast perky beat. It kind of reminded me of Paperback Writer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You know, I still don't get what it means. I understand the literal meaning, but if it implies something else, that eludes me. As for the literal meaning, it paints an amusing image, but Steely Dan lyrics usually go a bit deeper than that. Maybe not in this case.
I was always under the impression it was about condoms....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

+1

"I wanna be your holy man" is a reference to missionary.

Ok, that works. I've thought that before, but always thought, no, that couldn't be it, for some reason. But I guess it is

Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen" I always thought she was singing one-winged dove instead of white-winged dove.

Wow... To this day I thought it was "one-winged dove". :)

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

It took me forever to figure out what Phil Collins was saying in "Against All Odds"...

"You're the only one, who really knew me at all..."

The way he says "really" is hard to heard on a bad sound system.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

In The Spinners song "Games People Play", the singer says "12:45" as in the time but I've heard people sing it as Colt 45. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"