Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

I ask because it is something I've been considering- obviously- and was wondering about others' experiences before dropping hundreds of dollars on an experiment.

Start with something that provides two outputs that you may even already have, like some modulation pedals and the like, and/or a simple, inexpensive A/B/Y switcher and/or some of these little mini-mixers like those offered by ART, and/or multiple inputs on some guitar-amps. You may or may not run into noise, phase, impedance gremlins. Experiment, find things you like, and then decide if you need more betterer things 'n' stuff, like fancier A/B/Y switchers that include buffering, impedance matching, all that Jazz.

lightbulb.gif If you can find one, the older version of the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso with two outputs, the second output a "non-inverted buffered output", would probably be a very good deal, and it's a sort of a Swiss-Army-Knife utility pedal, very useful in a number of ways. Besides buffering and boosting (from Unity-Gain on up to 35db!), it has a high-impedance input and two active low-impedance outputs, "inverted" and "non-inverted" so as to work well with the dual-channels and respective inputs of some blackface/silverface "Reverb" type amps; it can also work very nicely for the types of signal-path splitting that we're talking here. Been there, done that! :cool::2thu:

lightbulb.gif I will eventually be getting a couple of Fulltone True-Path A/B/Y switchers; probably the ST "Soft-Touch" soft-click footswitch model, though the familiarity and positive certainty of the HT "Hard-Click" wouldn't be a bad thing, especially for live gigging...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I ask because it is something I've been considering- obviously- and was wondering about others' experiences before dropping hundreds of dollars on an experiment.

Start with something that provides two outputs that you may even already have, like some modulation pedals and the like, and/or a simple, inexpensive A/B/Y switcher and/or some of these little mini-mixers like those offered by ART, and/or multiple inputs on some guitar-amps. You may or may not run into noise, phase, impedance gremlins. Experiment, find things you like, and then decide if you need more betterer things 'n' stuff, like fancier A/B/Y switchers that include buffering, impedance matching, all that Jazz.

Makes sense...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I will add that combining the dual/stereo-outputs of some "stereo" pedals downstream might result in little or no effect from that pedal, as the two signals may cancel-out each others processing-effect. Or other weirdness may result- though that may also yield some likable surprises, right?! :crazy:

Case in point: the "old" TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger + Pitch Modulator pedal had two outputs that, if combined/summed in mono, would cancel each others effect. When in Pitch Modulator mode, this would cancel out the modulation, but it would also yield a dial-able out-of-phase tone that could thin-out tones in a nice, likable way- for instance, making a Les Paul's humbuckers sound somewhat more like a Strat's or Tele's single-coil pickups.

I will add that combining the dual/stereo-outputs of some "stereo" pedals downstream might result in little or no effect from that pedal, as the two signals may cancel-out each others processing-effect. Or other weirdness may result- though that may also yield some likable surprises, right?! :crazy:

Case in point: the "old" TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger + Pitch Modulator pedal had two outputs that, if combined/summed in mono, would cancel each others effect. When in Pitch Modulator mode, this would cancel out the modulation, but it would also yield a dial-able out-of-phase tone that could thin-out tones in a nice, likable way- for instance, making a Les Paul's humbuckers sound somewhat more like a Strat's or Tele's single-coil pickups.

The phase cancellation was the kind of problem I was thinking of, especially if you're going to sum the split signal again, to go into a single amp. Even using two matching amps, it's tricky.

My splitter box is a little old thing from Boss, the J-5, 1 In, 4 Out, no batteries, no buffering, no active electronics at all! I've had it since the late 80's, and it still works; don't know why they stopped offering it. I used to place an MXR Micro Amp in front of it, for buffering, but any Boss pedal will work for that purpose.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Vernon Reid used to use something called Ground Control, I think...looks like Voodoo Labs is making pretty much the exact same thing. It even looks just like the unit Reid used to use.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/voodoo-lab-gcx-guitar-audio-switcher

IIRC, the Ground Control is the switching system for the GCX; big floor unit, with a bank of switches. My wife was looking into one of those systems for me a couple of years ago. Digital Music Corp is the digital division of VooDoo Labs. I have a couple of their MIDI patchbays, including an MX-8, a very cool MIDI tool.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Vernon Reid used to use something called Ground Control, I think...looks like Voodoo Labs is making pretty much the exact same thing. It even looks just like the unit Reid used to use.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/voodoo-lab-gcx-guitar-audio-switcher

IIRC, the Ground Control is the switching system for the GCX; big floor unit, with a bank of switches. My wife was looking into one of those systems for me a couple of years ago. Digital Music Corp is the digital division of VooDoo Labs. I have a couple of their MIDI patchbays, including an MX-8, a very cool MIDI tool.

Hmmmmmnnn.... Maybe something from them might help me to be able to simultaneously switch my Boss RT-20 Leslie-sim (connected in my amp's effects-loop) and EH B9 Organ Machine (in-line among the pedals between my guitar and amp) off and on, or in and out of the signal path, with one stomp... A little further down the road, when I can afford it, I would like to buy or build such a device...

This is what I use:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/carl-martin-octa-switch-mkii-effects-switching-system?pfm=sp

You plug in 8 effects*- one in each rear slot- and then use the dip switches to choose what combination of effects you want each button to control. So, let's say you plugged in a chorus, tremolo, Pitch shifter, fuzz, ring modulator, bitcrusher/glitch pedal, reverb, and delay.

Then, you decide which effects will be engaged when a given button is selected.

For instance, button 1 might have your chorus & tremolo and nothing else. Button 2 might have both of those, plus pitch shifter & Fuzz. Button 3 might have your ring modulator and fuzz. The fourth could have your reverb, bitcrusher and chorus. Etc.

* I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use each of the 8 rear slots like mini effects loops, with multiple pedals plugged into each jack...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Hmmmmmnnn.... Maybe something from them might help me to be able to simultaneously switch my Boss RT-20 Leslie-sim (connected in my amp's effects-loop) and EH B9 Organ Machine (in-line among the pedals between my guitar and amp) off and on, or in and out of the signal path, with one stomp... A little further down the road, when I can afford it, I would like to buy or build such a device...

Caevan, I would suggest a Boss Line Selector, which has a switchable Send/Return loop. Most of the switching systems I've seen, whether for pedlaboards or racks, were meant to handle 6 or 8 or more devices, and they were all pretty damned expensive. The GCX and the Ground Control together run around $800 - the Boss pedal is around $80, and it doesn't care how many pedals or multi-efx you have in the S/R loop. Of course, you would have to have both pedals chained together, which might mean taking the RT-20 out of your amp's Effects Loop.

Boss Line Selector

Of course, you would have to have both pedals chained together, which might mean taking the RT-20 out of your amp's Effects Loop.

Aye, there's the rub... I need a single-stomp solution for the two pedals, which individually need to be placed in front of the amp and in the amp's effects-loop, respectively. I'll probably have to research and cook up a DIY solution, I guess.

Too bad they don't each have a remote-switching jack like some pedals do, then I could probably rig-up a parallel three-way Y-cord and footswitch or somethin'. I'm not sure just how much of a complicated pain it would be to mod either pedal that way, with a remote switch option... They're both digital, at least in part, and off the top of my head I know that the B9 is buffered-bypass, not sure at the moment about the RT-20, but it's probably also buffered-bypass...

Aye, there's the rub... I need a single-stomp solution for the two pedals, which individually need to be placed in front of the amp and in the amp's effects-loop, respectively. I'll probably have to research and cook up a DIY solution, I guess.

Too bad they don't each have a remote-switching jack like some pedals do, then I could probably rig-up a parallel three-way Y-cord and footswitch or somethin'. I'm not sure just how much of a complicated pain it would be to mod either pedal that way, with a remote switch option... They're both digital, at least in part, and off the top of my head I know that the B9 is buffered-bypass, not sure at the moment about the RT-20, but it's probably also buffered-bypass...

I'm perceiving a second RT20 in your future.

Scott Fraser

I'm perceiving a second RT20 in your future.

Hehhehhehh... ! I can understand why you'd think that; but the RT-20, like echo and reverb devices, sounds much better overall in my amp's effects-loop, especially when using my amps overdrive/distortion channel, which I use the most by far, rolling back my guitar's volume-controls rather than channel-switching for clean and clean-ish tones.

If I were to get another Leslie sim pedal, it would likely be a Strymon Lex (though I really pine for a REAL vintage Leslie cab!); if a "rotary"/Uni-Vibe type, DEFINITELY a Fulltone MDV2 or MDV3.

And the B9 really needs to be close in line to the guitar, and also before a guitar-amps relative mid-emphasis/treble-DE-emphasis; it tracks best early in line, and it'll sound quite harsh if it's more "direct" or post-EQ and gain, at least to my ear. It can be pretty bright and peaky!

So, picky though I might be, and as much more difficult and involved as it may make a simultaneous switching solution, the RT-20 must remain in the amp's 'loop, and the B9 in front of the amp's input.

Hell, if I was running a REAL big, complicated "wet/dry" rig with an outboard power-amp and cab(s), I'd have my echo, reverb, and Leslie effects AFTER the guitar-amp altogether, either after being miked from the speaker, or via a GT Electronics Speaker Emulator. When I get it together with a regularly gigging band, I'll probably actually go that route!

Hey, Caevan, just sent you a PM, with some ideas about this.

Thanks! :cool: I had already seen that, thanks!

Hmmmnn... lightbulb.gif Y' know, I might even just make some kind of thingamajig that rests snugly on the off/on-footswitches of these two pedals, that I could step on to actuate both simultaneously... ! And easily lift away when not needing to switch both so quickly. As primitive and antiquated as it may seem, it might just be the best solution for me! :crazy::D Hmmmmmnnn... ! lightbulb.giflightbulb.gif:crazy:MAYBE I might even have on a hinged, anchored to the front of my pedal-board, or mounted on a weighted base for free-standing pedal-arrangements, so that it could be swung up and away when not in use, and back down again as needed... :cool:

My thought (feeble as it may be) is get two heads, one with the RT20 in the loop and switched off (using the Carl Martin if you have to have a true bypass) along side the Leslie...the other head will have the B9 going direct with any other pedals (using a Carl Martin if you have to). Then use the AB/Y going to both heads and when you hit both (Y) with one stomp, on comes the Leslie and the B9. So, instead of an extra RT20, I see an extra amp head or so...I like Winsotn's Boss Line Selector (and one Carl Martin for the RT20 if you have to)...you guys are much better at this than me but I know you'll have fun with the DIY and Y cords. I like the two foot switches with a bar across them too LOL!
Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...
Electro Harmonix is at it again!

[video:youtube]

I had literally just finished watching that same video before clonking on this thread; very nice tremolo pedal, though I've already got a pretty snazzy tremolo (and reverb) pedal, a Strymon Flint (albeit digital, but REALLY NICE analog sounding and feeling digital), and don't really need another- even with so much fine control and so many options. FOR NOW. ;):D

Man, those EH guys are really on a roll. This makes about 6 EH pedals I now have major GAS for.

They HAVE been on a bit of a roll the past year or so, haven't they?

I think that Chicagoan Bill Ruppert has had no small part in that; his experimenting with various combinations of EH pedals has led to the development of many of their latest offerings. He's the excellent player in many of their promotional demonstration videos.

Ladies & Gentlemen, the Catalinbread Anticthon:

www.sonicstate.com/amped/2015/01/23/namm-2015-catalinbread-antichthon-fuzz-tremolo-pedal/

And the Morpheus Bomber:

Yep- and what he said about all that Re: jazzmasters makes me think about what it would do with my beloved Rverends...or a Brian May Special.

Or something like a Fret-King Gordon Giltrap or Parker guitar that has a piezo that you can put in the mix.

Or a Moog guitar.

Ohhhh, the possibilities!