Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Batiste, Bill Laswell, Chad Smith: The Process

[video:youtube]

Picked this up today, and am really enjoying it so far. I've been a fan of Laswell since the Material days, but wasn't that familiar with Batiste, what Batiste does here is quite different from his work with Stay Human, some very nice B3 and distorted EP work, plus some almost Jarret-like piano interludes. This has that sorta dubby, sorta jazzy vibe of a lot of Laswell's work, but is a little more concise and polished, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

At this very moment, I'm listening to a band cover Dr. John - without a keyboard in sight. Pretty impressive: the bass player is all over his six-string, and the guitarist is splitting between clav parts on a guitar synth, and hitting guitar fills/leads. Not bad....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I've been listening (as of this morning, in the car) to 'The Art Of McCartney' album. I listened to all of CD 1, and most of CD 2. As a long-time Paul fan I was impressed with almost every song. There were only one or two (covers) that I didn't care for. Lots of 'heavy hitters' on this album. I thought the producer did a good job of pairing the right artist or band with the right song/s. Some tasty keys parts too, including Harry Connick Jr. taking a Jazzy piano solo on 'My Love'--that is for sure a stand out track. I liked the Dr. John one ('Let 'Em In') too.

I've been Youtubing tonight. I have already wandered from Oscar Peterson to Commander Cody, and then on to Junior Brown and Django Reinhardt. No telling where I'll be in a while after another beer or two.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Very cool.

[video:youtube]

This is my favorite song off the new record. Thanks for posting!

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Cedar Walton's "Manhattan Afternoon" is planted in heavy rotation in my car stereo and doesn't want to know about coming out. :D

All standards, with a jam session spirit - but nothing sounds "improvised" in these improvisations. :)

What an understated genius Cedar was! A veritable encyclopedia of hard bop gestures, with a swinging sense of time and a melodic instinct that sound just "right" to the ear.

The Teddy Wilson of hard bop.

Yusof

The wife had Fallon on the DVR tonight. Not sure what to think of this cover but the Cat's voice still sounds good and so does the Nord!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Apparently the Black Messiah is Prince, because I'm hearing a LOT of him in these songs.

He's always pulled from that well. I'm only really hearing blatant Prince-isms in "Ain't That Easy" and "Prayer."